Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Dobson - Hungarians say transfer on hold til the summer (p61)

Comments

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Still of the view that Dobson has been appallingly advised to sign for the Hungarian side, like his agent hasn't worked to find an alternative in the UK. 

Will be an expensive buy out now
    Indeed, any fee paid to keep him would likely be more than the extra amount he would have signed a new contract for. 

The fee would be in addition to his increase.
  • Options
    I think peoples views of what and what doesn’t go on in Hungarian contract law is based purely on what is done and accepted here. I’m fairly confident that English and Hungarian contract law are like chalk and cheese. 
    It's more than that; what applies are UEFA rules on the transfer of a professional players registration.

That's why neither UK or Hungarian employment law matter.  GD's employment with us ends at the end of June 2024 and he is free to work anywhere he likes as a butcher, baker or candlestick maker.

What he possibly can't do is work anywhere other than the Hungarian club as professional footballer because he has, or maybe has not or had only agreed to, transfer his registration to them.

This is the same with any "transfer" during a contract.
    I get this. However I come back to his wishes. If he has changed his mind ( I have no idea if he has or not) , the hungarian club would have to start paying him from July 1st 
    If he tells them he doesn't want to go after all ,. they would be mad to start paying him and if they didn't pay him - it would be denying him a living. 
    Regardless of UEFA rules, if he chooses not to go , I think their redress will be minimal and pointless
  • Options
    I still think it was an odd decision by Dobbo and his agent to sign that pre-contract, rather than waiting to see if he got any Championship offers in the summer. Never mind us, with performances like last night's I'm sure he'd get Championship clubs interest, or interest from  one of the teams promoted from L1 this season like Pompey or Derby who'll know what he can do.

I'd be amazed if a Hungarian side can pay better than a Championship one.
    100%. I'm going to assume that the Hungarian side are not going to be paying him life changing money so i've never understood why he didn't at least wait until this summer and then see what offers were there.

I could be completely wrong as i don't know them but i'd also be surprised if his mrs was too thrilled about moving over there with a young child away from family where she will know nobody.

On the flip side though there's far worse places to live than Budapest and he will pay less tax, so maybe he just thought fuck it, i fancy a change.
    I entirely agree with your second para. and I think it is an issue too easily ignored by footie fans. An unhappy family is not good for any professional, especially if it has been brought on by his own decision. 

At the same time, I think most fans also ignore or refuse to confront the fact that most agents are highly persuasive individuals who have one person’s interests in mind. Apart from anything else, Dobbo would have had very little time to consider the pros and cons of such a big move, and was also probably in despair about the direction of the club. Does anyone really imagine that he  and his agent discussed things like the impenetrable language, and who on earth his wife is going to talk to all day, especially if she has to deal with a medical emergency for their child while he is away in Kazkhstan on Conference League duties? 

All of these things may however have now dawned on Dobbo and his partner since January .
  • Options
    edited April 11
    mendonca said:
    Does anybody know who his agent is? Wonder which other players he 'manages'.
    https://www.transfermarkt.com/every-aspect-group/beraterfirma/berater/6902

Other players I’ve never heard of. Apart from Tennai Watson.

No details given about themselves. Even Macauley Bonne’s idiot agent, a one -man show, had a website :D:smile:

yet another low rent operation leeching a living off football
  • Options
    I still think it was an odd decision by Dobbo and his agent to sign that pre-contract, rather than waiting to see if he got any Championship offers in the summer. Never mind us, with performances like last night's I'm sure he'd get Championship clubs interest, or interest from  one of the teams promoted from L1 this season like Pompey or Derby who'll know what he can do.

100%. I'm going to assume that the Hungarian side are not going to be paying him life changing money so i've never understood why he didn't at least wait until this summer and then see what offers were there.

I could be completely wrong as i don't know them but i'd also be surprised if his mrs was too thrilled about moving over there with a young child away from family where she will know nobody.

On the flip side though there's far worse places to live than Budapest and he will pay less tax, so maybe he just thought fuck it, i fancy a change.
    I entirely agree with your second para. and I think it is an issue too easily ignored by footie fans. An unhappy family is not good for any professional, especially if it has been brought on by his own decision. 

At the same time, I think most fans also ignore or refuse to confront the fact that most agents are highly persuasive individuals who have one person’s interests in mind. Apart from anything else, Dobbo would have had very little time to consider the pros and cons of such a big move, and was also probably in despair about the direction of the club. Does anyone really imagine that he  and his agent discussed things like the impenetrable language, and who on earth his wife is going to talk to all day, especially if she has to deal with a medical emergency for their child while he is away in Kazkhstan on Conference League duties? 

All of these things may however have now dawned on Dobbo and his partner since January .
    Lot of forigners live in Budapest. For example Loic Nego also lived in here. There is also english speaking kindergarden, or school for  foreigners. My club also have a forigner member at the backoffice. 40 % of the players came from abroad. Every time I go to the city centre I see foregin players with small children, not a uniqe thing. Hungary is member of EU.
    Not sure if this has already been asked, but in your opinion what kind of salary are you likely to be paying him per week?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:

No details given about themselves. Even Macauley Bonne’s idiot agent, a one -man show, had a website :D:smile:

https://www.everyaspectgroup.com/ 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Whatever else the George Dobson situation has to be sorted toot sweet in order to plan for the team with him, or re set the way the team is going to be without him.
    I hope he turns out to be allergic to Paprika and as a consequence fails his Hungarian medical 😃.
    On the other hand our good friend Vjacheslav reminds us that Hungary is a member of the European Union, so if Dobson moves there it indicates to me he is a savvy intelligent non racist internationalist with sound judgement🇪🇺.
    I heard he is in favour of a hard border in Ireland !
  • Options
    Maybe he wants to keep the British out. But as well as the Dobson pre contract agreement, there is the Good Friday agreement to get round.
  • Options

Lot of forigners live in Budapest. For example Loic Nego also lived in here. There is also english speaking kindergarden, or school for  foreigners. My club also have a forigner member at the backoffice. 40 % of the players came from abroad. Every time I go to the city centre I see foregin players with small children, not a uniqe thing. Hungary is member of EU.
    Not sure if this has already been asked, but in your opinion what kind of salary are you likely to be paying him per week?
    I don't know his wage, but I know the tax is different for players at Hungary. You can keep more than 80% of your money, and also the life is cheaper than the UK.
  • Options
    edited April 11
    Such a bizarre transfer in the first place. Surely a position at a half decent Championship club would be more appealing. Unless Dobbo really wants to play in the Europa League qualifying rounds or something. 
  • Options
    WHAddick said:
    Chizz said:
    mendonca said:

"Tottenham Hotspurs" 😂😂

They're s*** as well :)
  • Options
    Such a bizarre move to make, in that it was totally unexpected.  I do wonder if there's more to it, like a family connection...I've always thought Dobson looks like he's got something in him  (for want of a better term)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    so lots depends on the nature of the contract, however if Dobson says his wife and family dont want to move and doesnt want to go alone, do they really want a player that doesn't want to be there? 

Ross County midfielder Richard Brittain signed a pre-contract with St Johnstone. The agreement was made in January 2013,[224][225] but Brittain changed his mind three months later,[226] citing family reasons.[227] Ross County registered the player as their own in June,[228] and, after discussions with the Scottish FA,[229] St Johnstone and Ross County came to an agreement to let Brittain stay at the club, with St Johnstone cancelling the pre-contract agreement if Ross County paid compensation
  • Options

I understand all that, living continuously in Prague for 31 years ( and often working regionally, which used to bring me to Budapest) Its not so much about Hungary more about us Brits and particularly the life stage Dobbo and his partner are at now. I have no idea about her, but the big threat for someone in her position is loneliness. If they move into an upmarket estate where several other players families  and similar have already formed a community, she may be just fine. But my point was, they hardly had time to even think about it in January. His agent msde sure of that. They’ve had plenty of time to think since then. 
  • Options
    edited April 11
    CAFCDAZ said:
    so lots depends on the nature of the contract, however if Dobson says his wife and family dont want to move and doesnt want to go alone, do they really want a player that doesn't want to be there? 

Ross County midfielder Richard Brittain signed a pre-contract with St Johnstone. The agreement was made in January 2013,[224][225] but Brittain changed his mind three months later,[226] citing family reasons.[227] Ross County registered the player as their own in June,[228] and, after discussions with the Scottish FA,[229] St Johnstone and Ross County came to an agreement to let Brittain stay at the club, with St Johnstone cancelling the pre-contract agreement if Ross County paid compensation
    Right - so the Hungary club is going to demand compensation, effectively a transfer fee to buy his registration back.

It’s doable, but it’s going to depend on more factors than whether Nathan Jones and George Dobson want it.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    mendonca said:

There you go, they just couldn’t be arsed to put it or any other details on their Transfermarkt page. Yep, it looks like very other agent website I’ve seen. Including the “lifestyle management” stuff. I’m sure their Hungarian office is standing by,  ready to help Mrs Dobson settle in and not have to worry about anything at all🤣. I expect they’ll show us all that on their Twitter account, once it is back up and running…

Charlatans. And I’m trying to be polite there.  
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    AndyG said:
    Pretty sure George will be off but it’s a mark of the bloke that he is still our captain and putting in 100% every game. If a certain ex striker of ours had that attitude we wouldn’t be in league one now ! Sorry to see him go personally and I think it’s a big mistake by the club to have let this happen
    Think it's a bit disingenuous to be saying the club "let" anything happen. They made an offer, he rejected it, that's often how it goes. But they didn't "let" him sign a binding agreement with a Hungarian team - that was all him. If anything he was apparently going to be off in January but the club (possibly at Jones' insistence) made sure he served out the last few months.

For better or worse you can't say they could make him do anything else, so it's not a case of "letting it happen."
    That’s true , but they  are 100% guilty of not making it easy for him to stay. Scott was delighted to show him where the door was. 
    By offering him a contract on more money? 
    My understanding is that Methven got involved with an apparent increase.
    I asked him about it via LinkedIn and he said the opposite; he wrote “i have no actual knowledge of the situation”, and a few other things which added up to him saying he is not involved with this aspect of the club’s operation. He was also referring to CBT in this respect. I am only passing on what he has written. I don’t have any reason to disbelieve him, though.
    How many more times .. CM not involved with the day to day running of the club and deffo does not have any say in transfers .. 

Didn't realise you were a Led Zeppelin fan Ronnie...🙄
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    AndyG said:
    Pretty sure George will be off but it’s a mark of the bloke that he is still our captain and putting in 100% every game. If a certain ex striker of ours had that attitude we wouldn’t be in league one now ! Sorry to see him go personally and I think it’s a big mistake by the club to have let this happen
    Think it's a bit disingenuous to be saying the club "let" anything happen. They made an offer, he rejected it, that's often how it goes. But they didn't "let" him sign a binding agreement with a Hungarian team - that was all him. If anything he was apparently going to be off in January but the club (possibly at Jones' insistence) made sure he served out the last few months.

For better or worse you can't say they could make him do anything else, so it's not a case of "letting it happen."
    That’s true , but they  are 100% guilty of not making it easy for him to stay. Scott was delighted to show him where the door was. 
    By offering him a contract on more money? 
    My understanding is that Methven got involved with an apparent increase.
    I asked him about it via LinkedIn and he said the opposite; he wrote “i have no actual knowledge of the situation”, and a few other things which added up to him saying he is not involved with this aspect of the club’s operation. He was also referring to CBT in this respect. I am only passing on what he has written. I don’t have any reason to disbelieve him, though.
    How many more times .. CM not involved with the day to day running of the club and deffo does not have any say in transfers .. 
    He was at the U21 game yesterday.
    I don't think he was picking the team.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Speaking as someone with absolutely no knowledge (or interest) in the minutiae of football contracts (or pre contracts), whether English, Hungarian or from anywhere else, the actual facts that I can see are fairly simple:

1. Dobsons current contract with Charlton runs out at the end of the season 
    2. He has some sort of agreement with the Hungarian team after this date
    3. Jones rates him highly, Scott seemingly doesn't 

So as I see it the current situation is that Dobson is off at the end of this season. Yes, its a shame. Yes, Scott is a moron. Yes, we will miss Dobson and struggle to replace him.

But there is zero actual evidence that him being here next season is based on anything beyond wishful thinking. Jones may want him to stay but that doesn't mean anything - Curbs wanted to keep Parker, Powell would have kept Kermorgant. They still left.

I hope I'm wrong.
    Difference now is that Jones is the manager and will make all decisions on players in and out