Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Dobson - Hungarians say transfer on hold til the summer (p61)

Comments

• Options
    Massive screw up by everyone UK based involved, including Dobson. 

No idea what the outcome is but for the move not to happen now…

Charlton will have to determine how much unintended money out their budget they want to put to this and overcome the farce of publicly admitting they screwed up

Dobson would probably have to sacrifice some degree of potential salary / signing on fee to make the ‘non-move’ financially viable to Charlton.

Videotron will have to determine how much value there is in retaining and holding to contract an overseas player who doesn’t want to be there against potentially some ‘free money’ for a player who hasn’t even trained with them. Could the £100k+ or whatever it is they could get for the inconvenience be put to better use for the season ahead? 
  • Options
    edited April 18
    I suppose the club needs to decide if they want to spend money on a player who, only a few months ago, decided he didn't want to be here. The cost to the club, would I guess be quite substantial. I've know idea about figures, but let's assume CAFC will have to shell out to buy him back even if he's actually gone nowhere. Dobbo will expect a larger salary and a longer contract etc, etc. They have to weigh this up against can they get a different player in, who has similar or better attributes for a comparable cost? 
    Two things spring to mind, Andy Scott has royally screwed up in my opinion, BUT Dobbo is not stupid, and he must've known a new manager was likely to arrive, yet still went ahead and signed a pre contract! If he is now regretting that who should be liable? There is no right or wrong answer here. A compromise could be, either, agree that any 'extra costs' are shared between the club and Dobbo, or we let him go and ask for a loan back, (highly unlikely).
    The other option is he leaves and we use the money to replace him.
    Only 2 more games to go, let's see what happens at the beginning of May. I trust NJ to make the right call.
  • Options
    edited April 18
    supaclive said:
    I suppose the club needs to decide if they want to spend money on a player who, only a few months ago, decided he didn't want to be here. The cost to the club, would I guess be quite substantial. I've know idea about figures, but let's assume CAFC will have to shell out to buy him back even if he's actually gone nowhere. Dobbo will expect a larger salary and a longer contract etc, etc. They have to weigh this up against can they get a different player in, who has similar or better attributes for a comparable cost? 
    Two things spring to mind, Andy Scott has royally screwed up in my opinion, BUT Dobbo is not stupid, and he must've known a new manager was likely to arrive, yet still went ahead and signed a pre contract! If he is now regretting that who should be liable? There is no right or wrong answer here. A compromise could be, either, agree that any 'extra costs' are shared between the club and Dobbo, or we let him go and ask for a loan back, (highly unlikely).
    Only 2 more games to go, let's see what happens at the beginning of May. I trust NJ to make the right call.
    The club decided he wasn't worth more money in wages than very average players who hadn't at the time (and still haven't) given as much to the cause or performed as well as George Dobson!

This is on the club.  NOT Dobbo.

Fair enough, but where do you draw the line? Suppose the Hungarian club decide to exploit the situation and ask for an 'unrealistic' transfer fee. Do we just cough up regardless or see if there are other players that would do the same job and keep within our transfer budget? There has to be a 'cut off' the owners won't go above, surely! Like I said let's see what transpires and who NJ wants to build the squad around. This whole discussion may be completely moot! 
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    The club decided he wasn't worth more money in wages than very average players who hadn't at the time (and still haven't) given as much to the cause or performed as well as George Dobson!

Fair enough, but where do you draw the line? Suppose the Hungarian club decide to exploit the situation and ask for an 'unrealistic' transfer fee. Do we just cough up regardless or see if there are other players that would do the same job and keep within our transfer budget? There has to be a 'cut off' the owners won't go above, surely! Like I said let's see what transpires and who NJ wants to build the squad around. This whole discussion may be completely moot! 
    When it costs more to get him back than replace him with somebody as good/influential.
  • Options
    The club’s past is littered with players who have left for pastures new. A fair number of these are players we fans have not wanted to see leave.
    In this instance, should Dobson depart in the summer, I sincerely hope he does well for his new club in Hungary.
    Better this than him joining and thriving at another EFL club.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    There is a big assumption that Dobson has made a mistake/was badly advised/doesn't want to go to Hungary.

But there is no hard evidence for this.

It is possible that Dobson is looking forward to the move, thinks the financial rewards and security are attractive and better than on offer in England, the level of football (including possibly European games) is a step up and that believes that the social and family side of living in a different country, learning a new language, etc will be exciting for him and his family.

He might not see it as a desperate move made because Charlton wouldn't offer him an improved deal but a real opportunity to make the most of a short career which he has grabbed.
    I think there is - and it’s due to lack of UK players, never mind those who are married and have a young child making such moves.

I completely understand that all individuals are different, but I can’t help think with the size of the English football league that more players would be doing this if it was such a financial game changer. 
  • Options
    Do people know if he has been house hunting in Hungary, that might let people know how serious he is. I cannot imagine he would want to be to long separated from the family.
  • Options
    There is a big assumption that Dobson has made a mistake/was badly advised/doesn't want to go to Hungary.

But there is no hard evidence for this.

It is possible that Dobson is looking forward to the move, thinks the financial rewards and security are attractive and better than on offer in England, the level of football (including possibly European games) is a step up and that believes that the social and family side of living in a different country, learning a new language, etc will be exciting for him and his family.

He might not see it as a desperate move made because Charlton wouldn't offer him an improved deal but a real opportunity to make the most of a short career which he has grabbed.
    I think there is - and it’s due to lack of UK players, never mind those who are married and have a young child making such moves.

I completely understand that all individuals are different, but I can’t help think with the size of the English football league that more players would be doing this if it was such a financial game changer. 
    So, still no hard evidence.
  • Options
    If he wants to go, then no further discussion is warranted.
    However if he now wants to stay, then the club has to weigh up:
    How much would it cost, to buy a replacement of his calibre, in his prime, with his level of effort, and with his injury free record?

I'd suggest that based on some of our previous nightmare mistakes, we could spend a million quid, and still end up with a player that offers nothing close to what we currently get out of Dobbo, week in, week out.

With Dobbo we know what we get, and he's a player that seems to be still improving.
    If we had to pay out that million instead, on retaining him, and we then go on to secure promotion, then that million quid will seem like small potatoes and would be an extremely shrewd investment.
    "Saving face, avoiding embarrassment" etc, shouldn't even be a part of the conversation, all that matters is giving ourselves the best chance of getting out of this division next season.
  • Options
    But the likelihood was that a new COACH would come in & scott would still be pulling the strings re signings & goings. It is widely suggested that scott didn't rate Dobbo & was looking to get rid. Nobody knew that we would get a manager come with some balls & tell the club what HE wanted. scott was trying to sell Dobbo in January, what does that tell a player ?
  • Options
    I wonder if the cost of Dobson buying himself out of the contract, is the same as Charlton paying the Hungarian team a transfer fee?
  • Options
    I wonder if the cost of Dobson buying himself out of the contract, is the same as Charlton paying the Hungarian team a transfer fee?

It would be a massive coincidence if that were the case. The contractual arrangement is between Dobbo and the Hungarians and any breach of that contract will almost certainly have a termination clause to enact - and it won't be the full value of the contract. 

In terms of transfer value, that would be a matter to be agreed between the Hungarians and any other club who may wish to buy Dobbo.

The two are mutually exclusive.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:

It would be a massive coincidence if that were the case. The contractual arrangement is between Dobbo and the Hungarians and any breach of that contract will almost certainly have a termination clause to enact - and it won't be the full value of the contract. 

In terms of transfer value, that would be a matter to be agreed between the Hungarians and any other club who may wish to buy Dobbo.

I would therefore expect that Dobson escape clause to be the cheapest, therefore it might be easier if Charlton / Dobson wanted to, for Charlton to let say pay Dobson a signing on fee or similar equal (or more) to Dobson get out clause. This would save the club face because it could be said that Dobson had himself sorted out the mess. No doubt it would be more complex but it could be a way out with everyone saving face.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

I would therefore expect that Dobson escape clause to be the cheapest, therefore it might be easier if Charlton / Dobson wanted to, for Charlton to let say pay Dobson a signing on fee or similar equal (or more) to Dobson get out clause. This would save the club face because it could be said that Dobson had himself sorted out the mess. No doubt it would be more complex but it could be a way out with everyone saving face.
    Again, this is all built on the presumption that Dobson wants to stay.

Maybe he wants to go. We have no idea.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Again, this is all built on the presumption that Dobson wants to stay.

Maybe he wants to go. We have no idea.
    Of course it obviously is, it’s also built on the assumption that Charlton want him to stay, it’s just my possible way out of the mess that all, it’s probably total crap.
  • Options
    After all this it'd be a hoot if he signed for the spanners B)
  • Options
    i feel I won't ever be able to get to grips with this complex issue withiut a house buying analogy. 
    It's a bit like exchanging contracts but pulling out before completion.
  • Options
    supaclive said:

You seem to have posted this as a fact.
    Do you have insider knowledge of what Dobson had asked for and what the club actually offered.
  • Options
    i feel I won't ever be able to get to grips with this complex issue withiut a house buying analogy. 
    It's a bit like exchanging contracts but pulling out before completion.
    Would it also make Andy Scott the estate agent and Nathan Jones the surveyor?