Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Dobson - Hungarians say transfer on hold til the summer (p61)

Comments

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    Oakster2 said:
    Curb’s saying he doesn’t know what will happen with Dobson, he’s signed a contract with the Hungarians but suggesting we could buy him out of that contract - especially if he doesn’t want to go. What a stupid situation to be in.
    Yet again, if he didn't want to go, pray tell why he would sign a contract with them?! 

Round and round we go
    Forced by his evil agent who withheld information on interest from English clubs, obviously.
  • Options
    Jones interview about Dobbo on CharltonTV “Wish I’d come in earlier”, clearly putting the blame on Scott devaluing Dobbo.

Sounds like Jones doesn’t expect to still have him next season tbh so any talk about keeping him would be wide of the mark.
  • Options
    edited April 20
    Signed the contract in Hungary after being rebuffed by Scott and with Appleton as our manager. 

Have a feeling if the pre-contract wasn't signed, right now Jones would be forging Scott's signature to give Dobson whatever he wants for next season. 
    Bit of patience from Dobson, waiting till the Summer to see what else was put on the table, from other clubs or to wait and see what happened with Appleton (Football can change very quickly), and he wouldn't be in this mess either.

Oddly though it seems that despite us rating him, he's been here three years and in those years we've not been close to challenging for promotion. So you could argue he's part of the problem, other clubs may also have thought the same, if he wasn't getting the desired interest from England...

This thread is just going round in circles now though!!
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    sam3110 said:
    Oakster2 said:
    Curb’s saying he doesn’t know what will happen with Dobson, he’s signed a contract with the Hungarians but suggesting we could buy him out of that contract - especially if he doesn’t want to go. What a stupid situation to be in.
    Yet again, if he didn't want to go, pray tell why he would sign a contract with them?! 

Round and round we go
    Forced by his evil agent who withheld information on interest from English clubs, obviously.
    It's the Danish mafia I blame in all this
    Think you’re right, it’s Sandgaard’s revenge. Proves he was working for Roland after all.
  • Options
    Signed the contract in Hungary after being rebuffed by Scott and with Appleton as our manager. 

Have a feeling if the pre-contract wasn't signed, right now Jones would be forging Scott's signature to give Dobson whatever he wants for next season. 
    Bit of patience from Dobson, waiting till the Summer to see what else was put on the table, from other clubs or to wait and see what happened with Appleton (Football can change very quickly), and he wouldn't be in this mess either.

Oddly though it seems that despite us rating him, he's been here three years and in those years we've not been close to challenging for promotion. So you could argue he's part of the problem, other clubs may also have thought the same, if he wasn't getting the desired interest from England...

I'd probably look at the other 10 players he's playing with. Before pinning the blame on Dobson for that. 
    Yet for all the changes to the squad, very little has improved.

Dont get me wrong, you cant fault Dobson's commitment and desire, but he's still got a mistake or two in his arsenal, and as I say... You have to wonder why Hungary? - Does he fancy new climate, or do English clubs rate him a lot less than we do.

I mean if Portsmouth, Derby or even Peterborough were showing interest then I'd understand, but its just a very random move for a player we potentially rate too highly.
  • Options

But surely Dobbo must have realised that the chances were Appleton didn't have long left so why not wait until the end of the season and see what offers come in then. If none so then worse case sign the contract on offer from us. George was stupid in doing what he did and if his evil agent forced him then fire your agent.
  • Options
    NJ said in his post-match interview that he wished he'd been here before certain things happened and praised Dobson saying he wasn't just a ball-winner but he was a good footballer as well. Unfortunately, nothing he said gave me any hope Dobson will stay.

Whoever was stupid enough to think Dobson wasn't worth a new contract should be shown the door.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I'd probably look at the other 10 players he's playing with. Before pinning the blame on Dobson for that. 

Dont get me wrong, you cant fault Dobson's commitment and desire, but he's still got a mistake or two in his arsenal, and as I say... You have to wonder why Hungary? - Does he fancy new climate, or do English clubs rate him a lot less than we do.

I mean if Portsmouth, Derby or even Peterborough were showing interest then I'd understand, but its just a very random move for a player we potentially rate too highly.
    cafc boss Nathan Jones on George Dobson: "I believe he has signed a pre-contract - I want him to be at this football club and playing for Charlton.
     "I will do everything I can to keep George Dobson at this football club. I did it in January - to prolong his stay.
    And I would like to keep him. "He has done very, very well for me. I'm very proud of him. "Now we need to find some common ground."

Think I'll trust what Jones thinks. 
    It might not matter what Jones thinks if the pre-contract is binding and the Hungarians won't play ball.
  • Options

cafc boss Nathan Jones on George Dobson: "I believe he has signed a pre-contract - I want him to be at this football club and playing for Charlton.
     "I will do everything I can to keep George Dobson at this football club. I did it in January - to prolong his stay.
    And I would like to keep him. "He has done very, very well for me. I'm very proud of him. "Now we need to find some common ground."

Yet no one else wanted him?

You don't find that a little strange, regardless what our Manager thinks?
  • Options

It might not matter what Jones thinks if the pre-contract is binding and the Hungarians won't play ball.
    I mean in the sense that he's a good player and a much better player than this Semedo comparison that keeps getting thrown around. Just watching a game with eyes would tell you that. 

He was clearly our best player today and it's been consistently the case for 3 years now. 
    Oh I agree entirely and I want him to stay. Coventry is a poor man's Dobbo. But what you, I and NJ wants won't matter one jot if the Hungarians won't play ball. And even if they do play ball how much would you or I or the Club be happy paying to retain George. Let's say they demand 500k, could that be better spent elsewhere? I dare say it could.
  • Options
    edited April 20

Yet no one else wanted him?

You don't find that a little strange, regardless what our Manager thinks?
    I can't speak for other teams. Maybe he's written off because of his spell at Sunderland or they look at our league position and assume the captain must be rubbish. 

Josh Cullen had to go to Belgium due to lack of interest. It's not unheard of for good players to have to prove their worth. 
    How do you know there was ‘lack of interest’ for Cullen? West Ham sold him to Anderlecht for 500k.

Indeed from a quick search the only thing I can find is this from the Irish times:

The midfielder, who had been with the London club since the age of nine, had loan spells at Bradford City and Bolton Wanderers and spent the last two seasons with Charlton Athletic, where he had done well enough to attract the interest of quite a few other clubs.’

Its not like he left at the end of his contract…
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I just find it remarkable that Dobbo is still managing to turn in such great performances, knowing that either:
    A) He won't be playing for us much longer, we are safe from relegation, and he wouldn't want to pick up a bad injury before his big move.

Or 

B ) He doesn't want to leave us, but now has all the worry of either buying himself out of the contract or being forced to have to go somewhere where he doesn't want to now go.

It has to be one of the above scenarios. But here he is playing his best football ever for us.
    It could be that his character means he gives 100% when on the pitch irrespective of the circumstances.
  • Options
    I just find it remarkable that Dobbo is still managing to turn in such great performances, knowing that either:
    A) He won't be playing for us much longer, we are safe from relegation, and he wouldn't want to pick up a bad injury before his big move.

Or 

B ) He doesn't want to leave us, but now has all the worry of either buying himself out of the contract or being forced to have to go somewhere where he doesn't want to now go.

It has to be one of the above scenarios. But here he is playing his best football ever for us.
    Good post. A 100% proper pro. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    So Nathan Jones and Alan Curbishley (man with stand named after him) are wrong about Dobbo, and what's more telling is that clubs didn't bid for him in Jan... Is it possible that's not the best take?
    Not saying that clubs didn't bid for him in January

Instead am sure as Dobson's agent he'll have been putting the feelers out there, to see what interest there was in his Client, both in January (clubs abroad), and in the UK at the end of the season.

I agree with both SELR's and FishCostaFortune's replies to my question - But equally find it odd that he wouldn't have had better options than Hungary to consider even if he waited till the summer before talking to English sides... like SELR says though, maybe he just wanted to take the foreign route as it can work out. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Or 

Good post. A 100% proper pro. 
    Yes, a very rare breed of footballer in this day and age, with an incredible sense of loyalty, mental strength and character.

Either that, or he is very hopeful that by putting in such performances, he is confident that CAFC can help him sort things out with the Hungarian's and remain with us.

If he's on the team sheet next week, as captain, then I'd be inclined to think that it's the later.
  • Options
    edited April 20
    Can't say I've read anything that's been disrespectful.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    So Nathan Jones and Alan Curbishley (man with stand named after him) are wrong about Dobbo, and what's more telling is that clubs didn't bid for him in Jan... Is it possible that's not the best take?
    Not saying that clubs didn't bid for him in January

Instead am sure as Dobson's agent he'll have been putting the feelers out there, to see what interest there was in his Client, both in January (clubs abroad), and in the UK at the end of the season.

I agree with both SELR's and FishCostaFortune's replies to my question - But equally find it odd that he wouldn't have had better options than Hungary to consider even if he waited till the summer before talking to English sides... like SELR says though, maybe he just wanted to take the foreign route as it can work out. 
    At the risk of triggering more abuse from some of my favourite Lifers😉 we should also consider the possibilty that his agent had a significant financial incentive to steer Dobbo to Fehervar, and get it closed up quickly. I have no evidence for this, but it happens, because agents are completely unregulated and apparently is more likely when a foreign club is involved. I read that this was a factor in Josh Maja going to Bordeaux - may have been Charlie who said it but I can’t track that down.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Honestly,  some of the comments on this thread are so disrespectful.

I mean, that George Best was a shit player wasn't he? I mean, Northern Ireland won fcuk all while he played for them.
    What? 
    I presume he's referring to my comment, when I said that Dobson isnt without some of the blame, given he's been with us three seasons, and we've finished no where each time.