Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Dobson - Hungarians say transfer on hold til the summer (p61)

Comments

• Options
    Chunes said:
    So Nathan Jones and Alan Curbishley (man with stand named after him) are wrong about Dobbo, and what's more telling is that clubs didn't bid for him in Jan... Is it possible that's not the best take?
    Not saying that clubs didn't bid for him in January

Instead am sure as Dobson's agent he'll have been putting the feelers out there, to see what interest there was in his Client, both in January (clubs abroad), and in the UK at the end of the season.

I agree with both SELR's and FishCostaFortune's replies to my question - But equally find it odd that he wouldn't have had better options than Hungary to consider even if he waited till the summer before talking to English sides... like SELR says though, maybe he just wanted to take the foreign route as it can work out. 
    At the risk of triggering more abuse from some of my favourite Lifers😉 we should also consider the possibilty that his agent had a significant financial incentive to steer Dobbo to Fehervar, and get it closed up quickly. I have no evidence for this, but it happens, because agents are completely unregulated and apparently is more likely when a foreign club is involved. I read that this was a factor in Josh Maja going to Bordeaux - may have been Charlie who said it but I can’t track that down.
    Even so Dobbo can't be forced to sign, end of the day it's his decision.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    So Nathan Jones and Alan Curbishley (man with stand named after him) are wrong about Dobbo, and what's more telling is that clubs didn't bid for him in Jan... Is it possible that's not the best take?

Instead am sure as Dobson's agent he'll have been putting the feelers out there, to see what interest there was in his Client, both in January (clubs abroad), and in the UK at the end of the season.

I agree with both SELR's and FishCostaFortune's replies to my question - But equally find it odd that he wouldn't have had better options than Hungary to consider even if he waited till the summer before talking to English sides... like SELR says though, maybe he just wanted to take the foreign route as it can work out. 
    At the risk of triggering more abuse from some of my favourite Lifers😉 we should also consider the possibilty that his agent had a significant financial incentive to steer Dobbo to Fehervar, and get it closed up quickly. I have no evidence for this, but it happens, because agents are completely unregulated and apparently is more likely when a foreign club is involved. I read that this was a factor in Josh Maja going to Bordeaux - may have been Charlie who said it but I can’t track that down.
    Even so Dobbo can't be forced to sign, end of the day it's his decision.
    No. The agent forged his signature. 
  • Options
    The quote references ‘common ground’. 

To me that means Dobson has to concede some ground too. Presumably he needs to  (net) accept less than he is getting in Hungary because we now also need to help him get out of the pre contract commitments. I imagine he needs to balance a future with NJ and less reward than he can get elsewhere but the benefit of staying put etc. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Signed the contract in Hungary after being rebuffed by Scott and with Appleton as our manager. 

Have a feeling if the pre-contract wasn't signed, right now Jones would be forging Scott's signature to give Dobson whatever he wants for next season. 
    Bit of patience from Dobson, waiting till the Summer to see what else was put on the table, from other clubs or to wait and see what happened with Appleton (Football can change very quickly), and he wouldn't be in this mess either.

Oddly though it seems that despite us rating him, he's been here three years and in those years we've not been close to challenging for promotion. So you could argue he's part of the problem, other clubs may also have thought the same, if he wasn't getting the desired interest from England...

This thread is just going round in circles now though!!
    I'd probably look at the other 10 players he's playing with. Before pinning the blame on Dobson for that. 
    Yet for all the changes to the squad, very little has improved.

Dont get me wrong, you cant fault Dobson's commitment and desire, but he's still got a mistake or two in his arsenal, and as I say... You have to wonder why Hungary? - Does he fancy new climate, or do English clubs rate him a lot less than we do.

I mean if Portsmouth, Derby or even Peterborough were showing interest then I'd understand, but its just a very random move for a player we potentially rate too highly.
    cafc boss Nathan Jones on George Dobson: "I believe he has signed a pre-contract - I want him to be at this football club and playing for Charlton.
     "I will do everything I can to keep George Dobson at this football club. I did it in January - to prolong his stay.
    And I would like to keep him. "He has done very, very well for me. I'm very proud of him. "Now we need to find some common ground."

Think I'll trust what Jones thinks. 
    It might not matter what Jones thinks if the pre-contract is binding and the Hungarians won't play ball.
    I mean in the sense that he's a good player and a much better player than this Semedo comparison that keeps getting thrown around. Just watching a game with eyes would tell you that. 

He was clearly our best player today and it's been consistently the case for 3 years now. 
    Semedo got promoted the same season as we did and then spent 5 years in Championship which  shows he was a good player too.
    98 appearances in the Championship. Semedo was a good player in his own right. The comparison is apt.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Let's not forget we had a Coach & Director of Football setup. Andy Scott was in charge of retention/recruitment and he told Dobbo that he didn't rate him. As far as Dobbo was concerned, the guy in charge didn't want him and that was the end of it.

How was George supposed to know that they'd bring in Jones as manager and want him to stay? He didn't have a crystal ball 
    Didn't rate him, but still offered him a contract extension? Give over
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Let's not forget we had a Coach & Director of Football setup. Andy Scott was in charge of retention/recruitment and he told Dobbo that he didn't rate him. As far as Dobbo was concerned, the guy in charge didn't want him and that was the end of it.

How was George supposed to know that they'd bring in Jones as manager and want him to stay? He didn't have a crystal ball
    But equally Dobson had total control of the situation as his contract was expiring. Don't need a crystal ball when you're free at the end of the season either way. If he was gone permanently in January then sure, but signing the pre-contract was a bit of a mad move given that waiting until the summer would have given him more options. Probably in response to feeling insulted; judging by the way that bloke came flapping on here swinging at anything that moved when the deal happened it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that was the feeling in the Dobson camp. It does feel a bit like he was angry and took his opportunity to secure his future rather than waiting, which is fine, it's his life, but he may regret it now. I like Dobson, I'm glad he's showing more as a footballer under Jones because he's always been more than just a steam shovel, but signing that pre-contract was always a bit of a a rogue move. 
    The way he's playing at the moment I reckon a few Championship teams would be perking up and starting to view him in a new light, he might have had a few interesting options even beyond sticking with the Jones project.
  • Options
    edited April 20
    He may have signed the pre-contract to try to force the clubs into a move that January. 

Obviously, it then is in Charlton's interests to try and get a fee that window than leaving it when he's definitely gone anyway on a free. 

The move then fell through when Jones came in and Dobson is now stuck with a pre-contract he signed back when he felt offended by the contract terms and wanted out. 
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited April 20
    I doubt Charlton's SMT are going to pay Hungarians anything substantive that would change their mind. Andy Scott and senior management team also don't won't reminding of their lack of judgement in the first place by keeping George Dobson around.Reading that Nathan Jones really wants to keep him, so there may always be that very outside possiblity, but I doubt it. I wish it were different.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He’s going imo, so I will just say this about Dobson. He’s been consistently our best and hardest working player over the last few years. He deserves immense credit for that.

But put him in the Powell or Bowyer promotion squads and he wouldn’t have been in either starting eleven in my view.

So if we want promotion - maybe this can still work out for the best for everyone. It will all come down to who me manage to bring in. If we can’t bring in better - than my bigger concern would be we ain’t gonna be going up.

Lets not forget our midfielders in our last promotion squads included Josh Cullen, Dale Stephens, Joe Aribo, Danny Hollands, Bielik, Jacko etc.
    I would say Dobson is on par with Danny Hollands. 

Difference is that Hollands had Stephens alongside him. Dobson had Morgan. 

I think for me it does come down to who we bring in. If we have signings of the level of the last few years, then Dobson is VITAL because he has been the best we have had by a stretch. 

If we bring in two CMs of the level of Stephens, Cullen and Hollands then thinking we could be ok is not diminishing Dobbos qualities.

as it happens I think it will be hard to get players of the quality I list here, meaning letting him go will prove to be a crap decision  most likely.
  • Options
    edited April 20
    He’s going imo, so I will just say this about Dobson. He’s been consistently our best and hardest working player over the last few years. He deserves immense credit for that.

But put him in the Powell or Bowyer promotion squads and he wouldn’t have been in either starting eleven in my view.

So if we want promotion - maybe this can still work out for the best for everyone. It will all come down to who me manage to bring in. If we can’t bring in better - than my bigger concern would be we ain’t gonna be going up.

Lets not forget our midfielders in our last promotion squads included Josh Cullen, Dale Stephens, Joe Aribo, Danny Hollands, Bielik, Jacko etc.
    Curbs says consistently on Charlton TV that George Dobson is one I would have had in my Squads 

So whilst I respect your opinion, I think I know whose I would be more likely to agree with.
    Didn’t curbs rate and say similar about Alex Gilbey as well?
    He rated Gilbey's engine, can't recall him saying he'd have him in his prem sides
  • Options

Curbs says consistently on Charlton TV that George Dobson is one I would have had in my Squads 

So whilst I respect your opinion, I think I know whose I would be more likely to agree with.
    You can’t sit there with a straight face and say that he would have played premier league football surely? 
    Curbs said it, not me. I'm just reporting what he said.

And he had a straight face when he said it.

• Options
    edited April 20
    Chunes said:

You know that we also bid for Maya this time?

Ha accepted, but finally went to france.
  • Options
    edited April 20
    Chunes said:

Didn’t curbs rate and say similar about Alex Gilbey as well?
    He rated Gilbey's engine, can't recall him saying he'd have him in his prem sides
    No, i agree  Curbs has not been suggesting that Dobbo could have played in his Premier League teams either, more that he was the kind of player who helped us to get there. 
    But he has also said that he thinks Dobbo’s passing range is under-rated too, and NJ said similar things today. 
    And at 26, he is still developing…
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why is Dobbo not actually interviewed? He Is the club captain!?
    Starting to miss the muscle arm emogi and 'we go again' from Jason Pearce!😂💪
  • Options
    Chunes said:

But equally Dobson had total control of the situation as his contract was expiring. Don't need a crystal ball when you're free at the end of the season either way. If he was gone permanently in January then sure, but signing the pre-contract was a bit of a mad move given that waiting until the summer would have given him more options. Probably in response to feeling insulted; judging by the way that bloke came flapping on here swinging at anything that moved when the deal happened it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that was the feeling in the Dobson camp. It does feel a bit like he was angry and took his opportunity to secure his future rather than waiting, which is fine, it's his life, but he may regret it now. I like Dobson, I'm glad he's showing more as a footballer under Jones because he's always been more than just a steam shovel, but signing that pre-contract was always a bit of a a rogue move. 
    The way he's playing at the moment I reckon a few Championship teams would be perking up and starting to view him in a new light, he might have had a few interesting options even beyond sticking with the Jones project.
    The pre contract always a rogue move. But everybody forget, that the pre contract was the answer to the colaps off the transfer. Dobson went to Budapest that days to signed his final contract, and play at Videoton, but he pulled back from there.
    Jones pulled him back, know he want to stay, but know it is too late
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Didn’t need a crystal ball. Appleton was on very thin ice at the time and it wouldn’t be long until he was replaced and then under a new manager, who knows? Plus I still don’t understand why he didn’t wait until the summer and see what was on offer then? 
  • Options
    He may have signed the pre-contract to try to force the clubs into a move that January. 

Obviously, it then is in Charlton's interests to try and get a fee that window than leaving it when he's definitely gone anyway on a free. 

The move then fell through when Jones came in and Dobson is now stuck with a pre-contract he signed back when he felt offended by the contract terms and wanted out. 

Wasn’t it the case that he’d signed the pre contract and then the Hungarian club came in with an offer to sign him in January. The Club agreed but then Jones came in and kiboshed the deal but he’d already signed the pre contract by then.
  • Options

Wasn’t it the case that he’d signed the pre contract and then the Hungarian club came in with an offer to sign him in January. The Club agreed but then Jones came in and kiboshed the deal but he’d already signed the pre contract by then.
    No, before the transfer there was no pre contract.
  • Options

So he signed the pre contract after the permanent move fell through?
  • Options

So he signed the pre contract after the permanent move fell through?
    Yes.
  • Options
    Nah, don't believe that, would have been daft to sign it after Jones had just basically said he wanted him.

Makes a lot more sense the pre-contract was signed (pre-Jones) and then Charlton looked to get some money from Ferhervar for the early move.

Looking back through the thread, Jan 24th ish seems to be the first mention of Ferhervar and puts it that way round.
    Basically Jones pulled back him at the very last minute, and that time he wasn't very happy about that. Later he played, at Jones, but when he signed the pre contract was the different situation.