Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Dobson - Hungarians say transfer on hold til the summer (p61)

Comments

• Options
    i feel I won't ever be able to get to grips with this complex issue withiut a house buying analogy. 
    Its like buying a house that is then rented out
  • Options
    I would be amazed if he is playing for us next season...
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    I wonder if the cost of Dobson buying himself out of the contract, is the same as Charlton paying the Hungarian team a transfer fee?

It would be a massive coincidence if that were the case. The contractual arrangement is between Dobbo and the Hungarians and any breach of that contract will almost certainly have a termination clause to enact - and it won't be the full value of the contract. 

In terms of transfer value, that would be a matter to be agreed between the Hungarians and any other club who may wish to buy Dobbo.

The two are mutually exclusive.
    I would therefore expect that Dobson escape clause to be the cheapest, therefore it might be easier if Charlton / Dobson wanted to, for Charlton to let say pay Dobson a signing on fee or similar equal (or more) to Dobson get out clause. This would save the club face because it could be said that Dobson had himself sorted out the mess. No doubt it would be more complex but it could be a way out with everyone saving face.
    Again, this is all built on the presumption that Dobson wants to stay.

Maybe he wants to go. We have no idea.
    We have some very good indications though, let’s just say (as he did)………”I’m working on it.”
  • Options
    Will be worth watching his reactions after the game on Saturday.  I fear this may also be Chuks last game - it may be me but he appears noticeable slower since his return from injury.
  • Options
    sm said:
    Will be worth watching his reactions after the game on Saturday.  I fear this may also be Chuks last game - it may be me but he appears noticeable slower since his return from injury.

Yeah, agreed. I reckon he is told to play within himself to avoid injuries so no full sprints etc.  trouble is it obviously also takes away some of his best qualities.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The only way Chuks isn't with us next season is if the insurance pays him off and he packs up football. At our level he still has a lot to offer so I suppose it is tempting to look at ways that might improve matters so he can play more games and spend more time on the pitch. I appreciate that is what we have probably been doing but maybe something will work.
  • Options
    If the Hungarian club’s negotiator is Mr Patel, there’s still hope.
  • Options
    All well and good if a player hypothetically doesn’t want to play for a team to come to us? But when it’s a player leaving us they are called every name under the sun!  

☀️
    Dobbo, Dobby, Georgeesque, Captain George, Romford Rocket, Harold Wood Whippet, George Puskas, Goulash George,
    George Magyar, Dobbiniesta, Sir George, Yellow card George, George the Hammer.
  • Options
    There is a big assumption that Dobson has made a mistake/was badly advised/doesn't want to go to Hungary.

But there is no hard evidence for this.

It is possible that Dobson is looking forward to the move, thinks the financial rewards and security are attractive and better than on offer in England, the level of football (including possibly European games) is a step up and that believes that the social and family side of living in a different country, learning a new language, etc will be exciting for him and his family.

He might not see it as a desperate move made because Charlton wouldn't offer him an improved deal but a real opportunity to make the most of a short career which he has grabbed.
    There is rarely any hard evidence for any rumour or speculation that we kick around on here. 

However based on what we know about the timeline it is a reasonable assertion that Dobbo did not have much time to consider all aspects of the move before he was asked to sign a pre-contract. Having made a similar move myself I consider it a recklessly short period of time. There are issues to be considered that do not arise were he to transfer to a club up North, to Scotland, or even lets say to a club in, lets say Germany or Sweden. And these issues are not football related and will mainly affect his partner. As football fans we rarely think about such things when kicking around the merits of a transfer. A 26 year old English man, not AFAIK benefitting from higher education, needs good advice to help him consider these issues and manage them if and when he’s there. My long standing grudge against agents (well one of a range ) is that they have neither the motivation  nor the capability to provide that advice. 

Some have speculated that there may be some family connection to Hungary. While again there is no evidence presented either way, I am pretty confident that there isn’t; that’s because if there were, Fehervar would have presented it to their fans. It would be seen as a very positive thing which would help to build connection between Dobbo and the fans. Again that’s based on my understanding of the cultures in this group of these relatively small but very European proud countries. 

In short that’s why I believe Dobbo has in the intervening period  developed severe misgivings, but I agree it’s too late to undo the damage. His agent of course will do everything possible to ensure there is no backsliding that diminishes his revenue stream from the deal. As usual he will be the party who comes out as the guaranteed winner, while the beneifts for Dobbo, his family, Charlton, and Fehervar of this ill-conceived transfer remain highly uncertain. 
  • Options
    Another thread I've not kept up with.

Now, having just read the latest post I'm pretty glad I haven't. What a lot of old wind!
  • Options
    edited April 20
    If I was Dobbo, I would probably look at it as an adventure. His daughter is young so it won't affect her schooling and if he is going to be better off that is good for his family too. If they stay there a few years she could become bi-lingual although French or German would probably be more useful. I would imagine what is most likely to give him misgivings is a situation where he would be much better off staying with us. That wasn't the case when he signed the pre-contract I suspect. It may still not be the case now.

That isn't to say Dobbo doesn't have affection for the club, but ultimately his priority has to be what is best for him and his family. Football is a short career. I would say Dobbo is my favourite player but he doesn't score enough goals in a team that has too many players who don't score enough, so if we can replace with more goals from midfield it won't be a disaster. Easier said than done though.
  • Options
    Last ever home game for him today, would a chorus or two of ‘cheerio, cheerio, cheerio…’ be appropriate?
  • Options
    I think a standing ovation would be appropriate as he has been our most consistent player in recent seasons. Also, he may improve further in Hungary and we may want to entice him back.
  • Options
    Last ever home game for him today, would a chorus or two of ‘cheerio, cheerio, cheerio…’ be appropriate?
    If it is his last home game I'd expect him to be sent off on about eighty minutes so he can get the standing ovation he deserves.
    Amended!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If George's Daughter, Mum, Dad, Auntie, uncle and siblings come on the pitch today I believe that may be a clue; i don't mean as subs.
  • Options
    Oakster2 said:
    Curb’s saying he doesn’t know what will happen with Dobson, he’s signed a contract with the Hungarians but suggesting we could buy him out of that contract - especially if he doesn’t want to go. What a stupid situation to be in.
    I doubt Curbs knows any more than the rest of us.
  • Options
    I’m sam3110 said:
    Oakster2 said:
    Curb’s saying he doesn’t know what will happen with Dobson, he’s signed a contract with the Hungarians but suggesting we could buy him out of that contract - especially if he doesn’t want to go. What a stupid situation to be in.
    Yet again, if he didn't want to go, pray tell why he would sign a contract with them?! 

Round and round we go
    Simmer down - only reporting what Curbs says and he will know more than any of us.