Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Dobson - Hungarians say transfer on hold til the summer (p61)

Comments

• Options
    I have a funny feeling that George’s wife may yet play a part in this saga.
    If that were the case surely the time for her to say “no” (presuming that’s what you meant) would have been some point before he signed a pre-contract agreement. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I have a funny feeling that George’s wife may yet play a part in this saga.
    If that were the case surely the time for her to say “no” (presuming that’s what you meant) would have been some point before he signed a pre-contract agreement. 
    I agree it would have been preferable had she done so….but she could easily dig her heels in some way or another.
    I’m not suggesting that a ‘no way Jose’ from her will make any difference to the legalities, however it might underline Dobs reluctance to go out there to the point of it being impossible for him to do so.
  • Options
    edited April 21
    Nah, don't believe that, would have been daft to sign it after Jones had just basically said he wanted him.

Makes a lot more sense the pre-contract was signed (pre-Jones) and then Charlton looked to get some money from Ferhervar for the early move.

Looking back through the thread, Jan 24th ish seems to be the first mention of Ferhervar and puts it that way round.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/sport/charlton-captain-george-dobson-sees-fehervar-switch-postponed-until-the-summer-transfer-window/

"Fehervar FC have claimed that Charlton pulled the plug on a deal for George Dobson which was set to go through on Monday.....
    ....Dobson will officially join them on July 1 when his Charlton terms run out"

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/sport/not-in-the-interests-of-charlton-athletic-fc-nathan-jones-on-george-dobsons-february-switch-to-fehervar-collapsing/

"..Fehervar claimed over the weekend that Charlton had pulled the plug on a transfer now with the Hungarian transfer window open..Our paper had been told on Saturday that Dobson was set to fly to Budapest on Monday with a three-year contract finalised.....
    ....Asked who made the decision to block the switch, Jones told the South London Press: “There was an offer and a provisional agreement in place – provided all parties agreed. In the end we didn’t want to do it – we didn’t feel it was in the interests of Charlton Athletic Football Club, so we made that decision.”

I get it, he's George Dobson our most consistent player over 3 seasons, captain, Mr Charlton, cut his wrists he bleeds red Dobbo. People don't want to accept he willingly  agreed to a transfer and then chose to sign a pre contract with a club abroad of his own free will, rather than commit to a club that jas had 3 false dawn's in the time hes been here flirting with relegation then mid table safety. 

But he did.

• Options
    At the end of the day IF Dobbo wants to stay we need the Hungarian club to play ball, or another English club does, otherwise he’s gone.
  • Options
    edited April 20
    sam3110 said:
    Chunes said:
    sam3110 said:
    Chunes said:
    Let's not forget we had a Coach & Director of Football setup. Andy Scott was in charge of retention/recruitment and he told Dobbo that he didn't rate him. As far as Dobbo was concerned, the guy in charge didn't want him and that was the end of it.

How was George supposed to know that they'd bring in Jones as manager and want him to stay? He didn't have a crystal ball 
    Didn't rate him, but still offered him a contract extension? Give over
    Be real... He was offered terms akin to Tennai Watson. The message there was pretty clear. 
    Another rumour presented as fact I see 
    Has this not been reported multiple times by Cawley and Mendez, from sources inside the club?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He’s going imo, so I will just say this about Dobson. He’s been consistently our best and hardest working player over the last few years. He deserves immense credit for that.

But put him in the Powell or Bowyer promotion squads and he wouldn’t have been in either starting eleven in my view.

So if we want promotion - maybe this can still work out for the best for everyone. It will all come down to who me manage to bring in. If we can’t bring in better - than my bigger concern would be we ain’t gonna be going up.

Lets not forget our midfielders in our last promotion squads included Josh Cullen, Dale Stephens, Joe Aribo, Danny Hollands, Bielik, Jacko etc.
    I would say Dobson is on par with Danny Hollands. 

Difference is that Hollands had Stephens alongside him. Dobson had Morgan. 
    Hollands also scored a lot more goals!
  • Options
    Yep why didn’t he gamble on getting better offers  , fuck playing it safe he’s only got a limited football career and family to think about , what a pussio 

a wank in the hand is bette than two wanks in the bush 
  • Options
    Are they any good? If not, let’s offer to play them
    for his registration. The equivalent of racing for slips. 
  • Options
    Dizzle said:
    Fehervar? These kind of comparisons are always difficult but I’d predict it would be something like Wembley 1953….
  • Options
    Whoever at Charlton let this situation develop is an absolute joke. Probably explains why we were in such a dire state before NJ arrived. At last a proper football person at the club !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chris you're on the wrong thread.
  • Options
    vff said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Also, if he really wanted to stay, he had two contact offers, and he could have come out in press and put his side of the story out, but he hasn’t, which suggests to me, he also hasn’t played ball in this as well.. this isn’t to say he hasn’t been our most committed player still.. 

It is sad he is going on, and hopefully we can bring in a more forward thinking midfielder to play alongside Coventry. Sad to see him go, but not as said as losing someone like Aribo a couple of years back.

We move on, and hope we are sitting here this time next year celebrating promotion 

You are seriously proposing that having that George Dobson, should have personally played out contract negotiations via the SLP ? That is never a good look for any professional footballer and is a red flag for future employers. 
    I know muddying the water is your thing but that is not sensible / realistic at all. Especially for a good character such as George Dobson. 
    It is apparent that 'technical director', Andy Scott didn't rate him and the money to keep him was not made available by the SMT. Not as yet anyway. Nathan Jones wants to keep him, and for any potential promotion push, Charlton supporters have to hope that Nathan Jones choices are at the top of the list and money is available to back him.
    Why wouldn’t he, if he really wanted to stay, and has a manager that trusts him and believes in him, I’ve could easily come out and said I wanted to stay, but it was difficult for me to do so.. also not once has Jones actually said Dobson wants to stay. More he wants to keep him.. and the comment of they need to find common ground suggests a lot of work, from Charlton, the other club and Dobson.
    For me Dobson is a good player, but if we want to get out of this division, we need better.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    If I’ve got the timeline right, Jones killed the permanent transfer, and still Dobson signed the pre contract regardless, with Jones as manager, and not Appleton. 

Just doesn’t make Dobson and his representatives as squeaky clean in this as some believe. 

Jones stopped the immediate transfer as he wanted Dobson around for the rest of the season. 

Doesn’t mean that Jones had persuaded Scott etc to offer Dobson an acceptable contract, or had promised to.
  • Options
    Dizzle said:
    Fehervar? These kind of comparisons are always difficult but I’d predict it would be something like Wembley 1953….
    Like Milneux 2022