Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Denmark - Wembley Stadium - Wednesday 7th July 8pm KO - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Load of pressure on the semi. First final in decades on the cards, against oppo we we favourites for. Expectations are gone now, hopefully the pressure is too. England back to their free flowing best on Sunday 
  • Options
    Won't someone think of poor Jack's feelings?
  • Options
    There were so many different phases of play in ET that alcohol must've affected some folks memory of the 30 minutes.

The Game Management at the end was what you should do against 10 men when the opposition have lost 2 of their best players to injury and for some reason the talented Damsgaard was taken off far too early unless he had a knock as well.

I said this is a massive gamble when Jack Grealish's short cameo came to an end. No problem with Trippier and his vast experience coming on but we did concede  the ball for a while and this resulted in 2 corners from memory where Denmark could've scored a set piece goal.

We had Denmark on the ropes at the end of normal play and then decided not to go for the knock out. 

I analyse football matches sober, and with what is the best way to stop the opposition scoring and how can we score. Only done it in youth football but same scenarios and issues arise just without 30 million folk watching and fewer subs ! If they don't have the ball is a good place to start as we proved at the end of the match. Jack Grealish with the ball at his feet and being fouled was taken out of the equation. It only paid off because the giant Vestergaard couldn't get on to ball into the box. Why give them that opportunity ?

If we try that against Italy when 1 goal up we will suffer especially if Pickford is in his hyper mood like the wild kick in the Ukraine match or his erratic kicking, punching and throwing the ball to the opposition in the semi final.

Fantastic achievement by Southgate and his approach to a happy squad including the guys just watching, in reaching a final.

A 50/50 match now because of home advantage and would love to listen to Gareth and his coaches and what plan to negate Insigne, Immobile etc and how he feels we can hurt Italy in transition.

Sorry, I can't tell from that whether you are agreeing with Southgate's choices or whether you would have chosen to "go for the kill".
    Or are you just saying your views count for more because you  are sober?

I will spell it out for You.
    Tripper comes on but not for Grealish.
    We play the Spanish way from the start of ET which is ball retention as we had 4 subs to use and we were always going to be fitter than the amazing Danish team and their emotional roller coaster from the first game.
    If you have ball retention you can work the opposition to a stand still and play a killer pass and try to get the 3rd goal. Obviously in the last few minutes the most important thing is not to allow the opposition the ball which we did well.

My arguments is we should have bossed the whole period of ET, not concede the ball and take the chance of a knackered Danish team getting an equaliser from a corner or set piece.

Being sober is always best when analysing football matches or else you missed the action when you are having a piss or double vision sets in.  :o

With the greatest deal of respect, I'm not sure many people are particularly bothered about the analysis. We won, we're in the final and how we did it does not matter now. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    colthe3rd said:
    Won't someone think of poor Jack's feelings?
    I mean fancy taking him subbing a sub and tying to see a game out. It should have been Rashford in instead of Trippier. We also have changed Pickford for Sancho. Whilst on the subject of Pickford, I think it’s a disgrace he is allowed to wear gloves. 

Also, poor Mason Greenwood, being left out because of injury. We should have sacrificed a match fit player so he could have been in the squad. Im not sure who I’d have left out, probably somebody not that important to the squad….the captain maybe.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Rothko said:

Because of the team that Belle plays for, (under 10's) I was at the training ground last night as my son was doing some work with the mens first team and I managed to hear the dad speak about how crazy everything had been since Remmie Williams took the video of his daughter receiving the shirt from Mount.

Remmie Williams works in football and was there with England woman players past and present: Kelly Smith, Rachel Finnis-Brown, Jordan Nobbs and a few other current internationals.

Social media can give you 15 minutes of fame or even longer and amazing to hear that they were bombarded from newspapers and media in general from all over the world. The Sun was the highest bidder ( my lips are sealed) and for you sun readers I imagine you have seen a two page spread on the good news story that all social media and newspapers crave for. ITV's this morning program with Holly was mentioned and apparently Mason Mount went on there and gave a message.

The daily mail did a spoiler story and as usual are more interested in the family home being worth well over a million in Orpington. 
    Tommy the dad is a smart guy and is an expert on how social media works. 

Top tip get your daughter on your shoulders if you have a ticket for the final and get it filmed. If your daughter is 16 stone and 28 years old, good luck.
  • Options
    There were so many different phases of play in ET that alcohol must've affected some folks memory of the 30 minutes.

The Game Management at the end was what you should do against 10 men when the opposition have lost 2 of their best players to injury and for some reason the talented Damsgaard was taken off far too early unless he had a knock as well.

I said this is a massive gamble when Jack Grealish's short cameo came to an end. No problem with Trippier and his vast experience coming on but we did concede  the ball for a while and this resulted in 2 corners from memory where Denmark could've scored a set piece goal.

We had Denmark on the ropes at the end of normal play and then decided not to go for the knock out. 

I analyse football matches sober, and with what is the best way to stop the opposition scoring and how can we score. Only done it in youth football but same scenarios and issues arise just without 30 million folk watching and fewer subs ! If they don't have the ball is a good place to start as we proved at the end of the match. Jack Grealish with the ball at his feet and being fouled was taken out of the equation. It only paid off because the giant Vestergaard couldn't get on to ball into the box. Why give them that opportunity ?

If we try that against Italy when 1 goal up we will suffer especially if Pickford is in his hyper mood like the wild kick in the Ukraine match or his erratic kicking, punching and throwing the ball to the opposition in the semi final.

Fantastic achievement by Southgate and his approach to a happy squad including the guys just watching, in reaching a final.

A 50/50 match now because of home advantage and would love to listen to Gareth and his coaches and what plan to negate Insigne, Immobile etc and how he feels we can hurt Italy in transition.

Sorry, I can't tell from that whether you are agreeing with Southgate's choices or whether you would have chosen to "go for the kill".

We play the Spanish way from the start of ET which is ball retention as we had 4 subs to use and we were always going to be fitter than the amazing Danish team and their emotional roller coaster from the first game.
    If you have ball retention you can work the opposition to a stand still and play a killer pass and try to get the 3rd goal. Obviously in the last few minutes the most important thing is not to allow the opposition the ball which we did well.

My arguments is we should have bossed the whole period of ET, not concede the ball and take the chance of a knackered Danish team getting an equaliser from a corner or set piece.

Being sober is always best when analysing football matches or else you missed the action when you are having a piss or double vision sets in.  :o

My sober response would be, attempting the killer pass risks losing possession and once we had taken the lead we did not need to take risks.
    Okay, if it came off and we scored it would be vindicated, but if surrendering possession cheaply cost us our lead you are dead.
    You pays your money I guess.
    Oddly, in my young life I was a dedicated pre-match boozer, up until the Selhurst years when I was virtually comatose at games.
    Life, wife and family changed me and I haven't had a pre-match drink in over 20 years.
    Might have a wine or 2 on sunday though.
  • Options

With the greatest deal of respect, I'm not sure many people are particularly bothered about the analysis. We won, we're in the final and how we did it does not matter now. 

Of course most fans aren't bothered about the analysis that is for football geeks like me; Who used to attend manager's meeting where we would discuss every possibility known to mankind about how to win leagues or knock out football with the players at our disposal while making sure every kid got minutes.  Luck still plays a part on the other team missing chances.  Remember Thomas Muller who missed a sitter. About time we had good luck in the 7 steps to getting a knighthood.
  • Options
    @Garrymanilow has got it spot on. Fantastic summary of Southgates decisions and game management. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Of course most fans aren't bothered about the analysis that is for football geeks like me; Who used to attend manager's meeting where we would discuss every possibility known to mankind about how to win leagues or knock out football with the players at our disposal while making sure every kid got minutes.  Luck still plays a part on the other team missing chances.  Remember Thomas Muller who missed a sitter. About time we had good luck in the 7 steps to getting a knighthood.
    I must admit, the analysis is my major pleasure from football. We all take out of it what we need to. It is why it is such a great game.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Won't someone think of poor  rich Jack's feelings?

• Options
    I still think if through on goal, with a fantastic goal scoring opportunity (over 80% chance) you should take it and that happened twice for me in the second half of extra time, where we took it to the corner instead.

For all the decent passing and running the clock down, the opposition with still get an opportunity and I’m sure Denmark had two very late corners. If one of them goes in, which is entirely conceivable, you’ve blown it and lost the momentum as you go into pens.

Take the chance on offer and its game over. I’m not saying be reckless but it’s all part of the game management. It doesn’t just mean keep the ball, it’s kept the ball but take an opportunity if it arises.

Just my view. It clearly worked on Wed but I would hope there is enough guile in future to consider putting the opposition to bed if the opportunity arises.
  • Options
    I still think if through on goal, with a fantastic goal scoring opportunity (over 80% chance) you should take it and that happened twice for me in the second half of extra time, where we took it to the corner instead.

For all the decent passing and running the clock down, the opposition with still get an opportunity and I’m sure Denmark had two very late corners. If one of them goes in, which is entirely conceivable, you’ve blown it and lost the momentum as you go into pens.

Take the chance on offer and its game over. I’m not saying be reckless but it’s all part of the game management. It doesn’t just mean keep the ball, it’s kept the ball but take an opportunity if it arises.

Just my view. It clearly worked on Wed but I would hope there is enough guile in future to consider putting the opposition to bed if the opportunity arises.
    Had Denmark scored from a corner it would be most people's view too. Southgate lives or dies on his decisions and he knows it and has the guts to stand by his. I see it the same way as you, but nobody can argue with a manager who gets us into a final for the first time in 55 years. He has got to the point where he could play Mr Blobby in goal and we should just go with it.
  • Options
    Southgate and the England team have earned this final. I would even suggest they deserve it. I trust them to perform on Sunday. Think it will be a tight game tho.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    To be fair, Portugal and France are good analogies. Deschamps was definitely getting similar to Southgate prior to the last World Cup.
  • Options
    Grealish himself said he was fine being subbed off, why are people on here worrying about it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They aren't worrying about it. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Grealish himself said he was fine being subbed off, why are people on here worrying about it?

I'm not worrying about Grealish being subbed off and his feelings. I just didn't find it necessary as Jack was drawing fouls anyway. Denmark were spent as I predicted in the preview when I said Denmark would score 1st but we would win as Denmark had given so much and they would mentally and physically weaken the longer the game went on. I said 3-1, but as I said when defending Gareth in the Scotland game, he has wanted to conserve the energy of the squad and he has planned a Seven match strategy.

I think we could have won various ways, after Damsgaard, Christensen and Delaney went off.
    It's done and dusted and the thinking goes into beating Italy and creating more history.

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Had Denmark scored from a corner it would be most people's view too. Southgate lives or dies on his decisions and he knows it and has the guts to stand by his. I see it the same way as you, but nobody can argue with a manager who gets us into a final for the first time in 55 years. He has got to the point where he could play Mr Blobby in goal and we should just go with it.
    Exactly this. 

He got us to a world cup semi with Jesse Lingard, Deli Ali and Ashley Young in the team.  Now he has got us to the final of a major competition when we have never looked like losing a knock out game.

It would have been easy for him to shoe in Grealish, Sancho, Foden etc and get knocked out.

He came up with a plan, based on Portugal and Frances recent tournament wins, stuck to it.  Got a load of stick for it.

For years people complained that England managers shoehorned Lampard, Gerrard and Scholes into the same team and didn't have the "bottle" to drop certain players.

I think we all owe a certain journalist a pint of wine, or two. 
    This still pisses me off. The only reason that stopped was because Scholes decided to retire from International Football. It’s so good that Southgate is his own man - and what’s more, the players don’t seem to be sulking if they are left out - team spirit go’s such a long way. I’m just so glad Dele Ali isn’t involved any more as well - he always looked so miserable.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Exactly this. 

He got us to a world cup semi with Jesse Lingard, Deli Ali and Ashley Young in the team.  Now he has got us to the final of a major competition when we have never looked like losing a knock out game.

It would have been easy for him to shoe in Grealish, Sancho, Foden etc and get knocked out.

He came up with a plan, based on Portugal and Frances recent tournament wins, stuck to it.  Got a load of stick for it.

For years people complained that England managers shoehorned Lampard, Gerrard and Scholes into the same team and didn't have the "bottle" to drop certain players.

I think we all owe a certain journalist a pint of wine, or two. 
    Great point - but don't forget Sam's hapless manager that set up the meeting.

Life is just so, so strange sometimes, Allardyce would have been a fucking disaster as manager and it's incredible that the FA stumbled on Southgate as his replacement almost by accident.

Yes, I know he had done the U21s but he was nowhere near the top job until Big Fat Sam saw the pound signs light up for an easy pay day.

Napoleon Bonaparte: "Don't send me good generals, send me lucky ones."
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Just saw the first half again and both teams were very good at ball retention. Delaney did two tackles that could've been yellow cards.
    Especially the tackle on Kane just outside the box in the first half. 
    Kane pass to Saka for the cross that led to the 11th own goal was superb. Kane is at his best when he has a roving commission.

Denmark were very strong at the start of the 2nd half.

In the 58th minute Sterling did the little back flick to Shaw who put a ball into the 6 yard box but for some reason Kane held back and only Saka in the box against 5 red shirts.

From the 60 minutes England wrestled back the momentum. Damsgaard and Dolberg  went off in the 65 minute and Christensen went off injured in 77 mins and they were a weaker side because of these changes. 
    Denmark went 3-5-2 in the 69 minute.

The Philips shot looked like a corner but goal kick given.

Delaney does 3rd foul but still no card.

Grealish did lose the ball twice which may have influenced the subbing the sub.

Delaney goes off knackered in 87th minute.

From 88th until 93 minutes England camped in Denmark half with Stones on half way line and every other England player in Danish half.

Grealish gives great ball to Kane with last kick but he can't connect.

ET Kane Shot but no one around to knock in rebound.

Lots of pressure from England with Foden on for Mount.
    Great play by Grealish and power shot from Jack.
    Denmark can't get out.
    Henderson straight on it.

Trippier for Grealish for last 15 minutes.
    JJ said " Gareth going to shut up shop here" 

From 16 minute to 21 minute Denmark have the ball other that England kicking the ball out of play.

On the 22nd minute England have 3 in box but walker passes back.

Braithwaite has a good shot and corner to Danes.

25th minute and England have 11 players  in own half. 

27th min and England play keep ball for last 3 minutes which is good game management.

TBF to Southgate he looks as if he doesn't want England to defend too deep and is waving the back line to push up 5 to 10 yards.

Pleased I watched it again as it confirmed that we would've won whether Jack stayed on or not, as all of the Danish danger men were off the pitch in second period of ET and they only had 10 men.

Superb victory against a very under rated team.

Watched the whole game on BBC this time and it was so much better  but then I guess I knew the score  :)
  • Options
    So what is the strategy going to be for Sunday.  Play similar to early in the tournament - play 3 at the back with wingbacks.  Keep defensive shape.  Concede a majority of the possession and look to have the front 3 nick a goal on a quick counterattack. Or setup similar to the last two and play more on the front foot with either Mount or Grealish in an attacking midfield role to link up the lines.  I certainly hope it is the latter
  • Options
    I think that Mason Mount will be the key figure in this one, as they will ask him to buzz around Jorghino, put him under pressure and then look to play us in behind high up the pitch.

Plays with him at Chelsea, so will know his game better than most. Very classy player is Mount, and can see him nicking a goal here as well, as he is certainly due one for England.

If they do get out I can see us encouraging Emerson to come forward on the left, and then looking to get Sako/Sterling/Foden into that space and running at Chiellini and Bonucci.

Intriguing game tactically.
  • Options
    So what is the strategy going to be for Sunday.  Play similar to early in the tournament - play 3 at the back with wingbacks.  Keep defensive shape.  Concede a majority of the possession and look to have the front 3 nick a goal on a quick counterattack. Or setup similar to the last two and play more on the front foot with either Mount or Grealish in an attacking midfield role to link up the lines.  I certainly hope it is the latter
    I think we'll play the same lineup as the semi final. 

Then you can look to bring on Grealish, Foden, Sancho, Rashford etc if you need to change it in the second half.

Interesting to hear Chiellini saying that England's bench could win the Euro's. Great to hear other countries say stuff like that about us, especially after so many years of failure.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Yeah, Pickford was jittery and his kicking was rushed, but how on earth does he save that free kick? Oh yeah by knowing where it's going to be hit before it's hit, sure, that works
    Come off it. It was central. He got his feet all wrong and isn't helped by his teeny tiny arms. A taller keeper would have saved it even with Pickford's poor reaction, but he didn't move to it quickly enough and set off wrong. Failing to save a free kick bang in the middle of your goal is not good no matter how hard it's struck. Which is a shame because he's had a good tournament all together
    It was to one side, at pace, and dipped just under the bar. I'd like to have seen anyone save that
    I think a taller 'keeper would have.  Someone like 6'3" Pope as against 6'1" Pickford.  If we win tomorrow Pickford will probably be untouchable for a while but I think Pope is a better 'keeper and others may be, too.