Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

I'm becoming concerned

Thought I'd take this off the rumours thread.

The club are remaining quiet about a lot of things at the moment, for example:
First team recruitment - OK they won't tell us about current negotiations but som information would be good
Women's team - just gone professional, need new players and no news even though TS (edited from TC) was rumoured to be meeting them, this week
Sponsorship - Highlighted a while ago and now nothing
Kit design - no news

I'm sure there are more examples but it seems strange that after a lot of good communication to fans it has now gone very quiet.

Or am I just over-reacting?

Comments

• edited July 2021
    I’ve been a little bit concerned about the way the pre-season organising has gone. It feels pretty ad-hoc, for instance games are being announced by other clubs, still (as of the last time I checked) we are not showing the games we have lined up in the “fixtures” section of the OS and we don’t appear to have a game arranged  for the 31st of July, the Saturday before the season starts. 

Currently the first team are due to play four pre-season matches, only one of which Charlton fans can attend, with the final pre-season match taking place 11 days before the season starts.

Hopefully it’s just disruption due to Covid, but something seems a bit off.
  • Expectations with a new owner were bound to be high, far TOOOOO high in some cases. I doubt that Sandy will be splashing the millions just yet, steady as she goes for Iawhile I expect.
    As to 'news', two possibilities, 1) Negotiations are ongoing and need to be kept discreet to prevent outside interference or 2) Nothing is happening just yet (I doubt No2 s the real answer)

• Expectations with a new owner were bound to be high, far TOOOOO high in some cases. I doubt that Sandy will be splashing the millions just yet, steady as she goes for Iawhile I expect.
    As to 'news', two possibilities, 1) Negotiations are ongoing and need to be kept discreet to prevent outside interference or 2) Nothing is happening just yet (I doubt No2 s the real answer)

To be fair, the extremely high expectations were set by the owner and the manager at the end of last season. 
  • edited July 2021
    First team recruitment - OK they won't tell us about current negotiations but som information would be good 
    It's not unusual for a club to not talk about targets in the media. 

Women's team - just gone professional, need new players and no news even though TS (edited from TC) was rumoured to be meeting them, this week 
    TS did meet with them, it's been been publicised that he did.

Probably fell through... Wasn't that TK? Either way it was naive to publicise it if it wasn't a 'done deal'

Kit design - no news
     It's late, but I expect it soon. Our last kit wasn't shared until Sept... https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5f509620b2ac7/202021-home-kit-revealed, previous seasons saw it drop around the 15th July I believe. 
    I reckon we've got a red home kit, white away and black third... From my lifer source... 
  • se9addick said:
    I’ve been a little bit concerned about the way the pre-season organising has gone. It feels pretty ad-hoc, for instance games are being announced by other clubs, still (as of the last time I checked) we are not showing the games we have lined up in the “fixtures” section of the OS and we don’t appear to have a game arranged  for the 31st of July, the Saturday before the season starts. 

Currently the first team are due to play four pre-season matches, only one of which Charlton fans can attend, with the final pre-season match taking place 11 days before the season starts.

The club has been poor for a number of years in announcing the non first team pre season games with the opposition often announcing before we do.  Cant say its to do with new owners, just the way we seem to work, not a big deal
  • Sponsored links:

•  I would think any manager wants the core of his squad sewn up before pre season starts.
    So we can either assume he has the core of his squad or we've been getting knocked back left ,right and centre?
  • edited July 2021
    I hope some of these views have been made known to the fans representative.

Being concerned about Charlton goes with the territory , when haven't we been worried about Charlton!!
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    se9addick said:

The club has been poor for a number of years in announcing the non first team pre season games with the opposition often announcing before we do.  Cant say its to do with new owners, just the way we seem to work, not a big deal
    The announcing isn’t a huge deal, it’s just a bit weird.

Having our final pre-season match 11 days before the season starts does seem a bit odd to me.
  • se9addick said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    se9addick said:

The announcing isn’t a huge deal, it’s just a bit weird.

Having our final pre-season match 11 days before the season starts does seem a bit odd to me.
    I agree that the 1st team to only have 4 games organised and no game the Saturday before season is not normal but I assume that is more to do with restrictions and perhaps clubs waiting to see what restrictions are lifted and you see announcements shortly with most games to be behind closed doors.  Might also be perhaps Nigel Adkins only wants be a play a few pre season games as opposed to the normal 6-8.  
  • It's too early to be worrying. Having said that, I'd much rather there was much more in place than there is currently.
  • Got to realise that we are competing for the same players as probably Sunderland, Wigan, Ipswich, and lower championship clubs. Right now those in-demand players are hearing out offers, counter-offers, and waiting for the right time to see if they can get the best possible deal. The reality is, in-demand players (their agents to be specific) are playing poker with all these clubs hoping as we all get more desperate, the better the offer.

And if we have to deal with the clubs as well...
  • I think it's understandable to feel wobbly, after the past few years. Probably some folk probably did have an overly optimistic view of what TS's spending would look like this year, and so may ultimately feel let down. Finally, I'm sure there are lots of fans who don't really pay much attention to the subtle shifting patterns of transfer dealings in the lower leagues (justifiably so, because it's very dry and boring) so I can see how it must be frustrating, if you're comparing today's activity to 2012. Agree with others that it is too early to be panicking, although it doesn't mean that everything won't fall apart.

FWIW the thing that worries me most is that NA seemed to be publicly urging that we needed a pre-season schedule in place, at the end of last season, and I do agree that something has been a bit off with the arrangement and announcement of the friendlies. But it could just be a logistical teething problem of a new team trying to put together a pre-season for the first time.
  • What Mendonca in Asdas said, we have a fans rep and if fans are concerned about lack of communication or the desire for more, that should be fed back.

On recruitment, we needn’t be front of the pack in terms of numbers, what we need is the right quality and I think that is why it is taking longer. Nailing the right players on the right terms when available… I am actually encouraged at this stage that we have not dived head long into signing any old freebie that might turn good. Stockley, Dobson and MacG have all got decent last seasons behind them and NA can build them up from there.

Is it possible that the sponsorship/partnership deal could be linked to shirt sponsorship in which case they may have decided to reveal both new shirt and sponsors together? Big Bang rather than drip feed…

• I can honestly see this both ways. In some ways I like to think that no news is good news - the Sandgaard M.O. seems to favour business being kept under the radar as much as possible and minimal leaks so it's not necessarily a bad thing.

On the other hand, the lack of information does mean questions will always be asked and people will speculate. It's hard to be very confident when you have no information, and given the issues we've had with owners you can't really blame people having trust issues.

• Sponsored links:

• Laddick01 said:
    This week we could’ve signed Solomon-Otabor.

He failed a medical so we didn’t. We’re not a club that is making rash judgements, nor are we desperate anymore.

I’d have liked to have seen 2 or 3 more on by now, but I can’t complain as the club are obviously trying to recruit the best they can.

So at the moment I’d say we have virtually nothing to worry about.
    that is rumour not information from the OS
  • The next big concern is ' only a month to the season starts and I haven't got my season ticket yet omg omg'.
  • Thought I'd take this off the rumours thread.

The club are remaining quiet about a lot of things at the moment, for example:
    Kit design - no news

I'm sure there are more examples but it seems strange that after a lot of good communication to fans it has now gone very quiet.

Or am I just over-reacting?
    You are just over reacting.
  • If I were Charlton and wanted to announce good news I wouldn't do it in the week that England are about to play a Euro semi final and hopefully final.
    I'd wait until fans were more Charlton focused.
    I do agree though that communications have been a bit quiet, but it is pre season and the communications team have been on holiday.
  • Regarding first team recruitment, I was hoping for a summer a bit like the one preceding the SCP title campaign, where we got lots of signings done early and it was clear quite quickly that we meant business.

However, that year we had the advantage of knowing from March onwards that we were going to be signing players for League 1 the following season. This time around, we didn't know what division we were gong to be in until the last day of the season. 

More than happy to go back to the Curbs way - we find out we're interested in someone, when they've actually signed, rather than pursuing players (often fictionally) through the press. Still waiting for the much-heralded signings of Andy Delort, Jonson Clarke-Harris and Max Gradel to get over the line, thanks Katrien.

The other stuff isn't important. 
  • It's too early to be worrying. Having said that, I'd much rather there was much more in place than there is currently.
    Too early to be worrying, but late enough to be slightly twitchy!
  • & the later we leave it the more realistic valuations and salary expectations become…
  • Get a life maybe?