Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I'm becoming concerned

Comments

• Options
    Think they're holding back from announcing a lot until after the Euros. 

Anything released before Sunday gets forgotten in 30 minutes after the latest England interview or news story comes out. 

If we reach the end of July and are in a similar position, then yes I'd be worried. 
    to be honest no-one gives a toss who we sign, only us, the media certainly don't and won't be holding the back page awaiting our next signing.
  • Options
    if our squad looks as it does now at the end of July then I'd become concerned - however I'm confident it won't.

Sit back, relax and watch England and let TS/GR/SG/NA get on with it
    And TC apparently B)
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I think one of the problems is that Thomas has probably over communicated in the past. I mean by that, more than most owners would.  When that level drops, it can become more concerning if we are not seeing what was expected in terms of early transfers.

This can well be because, as Rich Cawley, alluded to, we are fishing in a more exclusive pond and we are competing with Championship clubs as a League One club for players. It may be proving more difficult than was originally expected. But you can't fault the club for trying.

What we do seem to know is that the club is trying to acquire players, and we probably need to judge that on what we see when those signing get over the line. I think most of us will admit that we are not looking like a team that will smash the league as it stands. We are probably looking at a team not as good as last year's one, but that can change with a few signings of the right quality. A statement along those lines from the club would probably re-assure most fans, if the club feels the need to re-assure them. We then go back to how well the owner communicated with fans in the past.
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    Get a life maybe?
    This is our life!!
    This is Charlton Life
  • Options
    Not concerned in the slightest.

There has been some over promising, if you can call it that.

Forget everything else Manford and Adkins wouldn't be here if they didn't think the mission was achievable.  They don't need the job if they didn't have 100% confidence it was doable. 
  • Options
    What kind of communication are people expecting? Daily promises from Sandgaard that we're trying to sign players? Do you really need to be told that? We get regular updates through the media and Adkins that we're working and Sandgaard has said it himself on Twitter, which a lot of owners wouldn't bother to do.
    I feel like every single year Olly has to come on here and tell people that no, we're not late releasing our kit, we're standard for the EFL and the fact Middlesbrough and Cambridge released theirs early doesn't change anything. What are we expecting there? A tweet confirming that yes, we will have a kit this season? Do you really need that? I think we're heading into unreasonable territory with this constant need for reassurance and instant gratification. Things aren't going badly just because the club isn't issuing a constant stream of intel that the things that are definitely going to happen are happening, but can't be announced until they happen. It's boring not having loads of signings, I'm bored, and we've been through a lot with ownerships recently but if you really need to be constantly in the loop with every stage of trying to sign players and releasing kits and agreeing sponsorship deals then buy the club, because that's the only way you get that level of detail. And then we'll all complain that you aren't communicating enough.
    That is a difficult question to answer as people will have different expectations. But the example of daily updates is a bit extreme as is being kept in the loop at every stage. Some are just happy to wait and see and others may want an update every couple of weeks, some may be happy with a month. Ultimately, it is up to the club whether it updates fans or not and it is up to fans whether they are concerned or not.  
  • Options
    I think a lot of this is exacerbated by having a string of absolutely atrocious owners in the very recent past in fairness.

A long time ago now (or it feels like it) this would have been a fairly standard Charlton summer (Euros notwithstanding) but since then we've had more than one close encounter with the club ending up in the hands of conmen and criminals and quite possibly faced the prospect of the club going under for good.

While it's commendable that Sandgaard and his team are going back to basics and keeping a professional lid on things expecting fans to just take everything on trust that it's totally fine is a big ask - through no fault of his own. And given certain statements he's made, even with exuberance and perhaps a bit of overconfidence taken into account, the fact does remain that not a lot has happened - For good reasons most likely but the point still stands.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2021
    What Mendonca in Asdas said, we have a fans rep and if fans are concerned about lack of communication or the desire for more, that should be fed back.

On recruitment, we needn’t be front of the pack in terms of numbers, what we need is the right quality and I think that is why it is taking longer. Nailing the right players on the right terms when available… I am actually encouraged at this stage that we have not dived head long into signing any old freebie that might turn good. Stockley, Dobson and MacG have all got decent last seasons behind them and NA can build them up from there.

Is it possible that the sponsorship/partnership deal could be linked to shirt sponsorship in which case they may have decided to reveal both new shirt and sponsors together? Big Bang rather than drip feed…

I’ve heard what this is now and without stealIng anyone’s thunder it’s nothing revolutionary and will have no immediate financial impact at all. It can’t be announced, either, so probably would have been best left under the radar.
  • Options
    What Mendonca in Asdas said, we have a fans rep and if fans are concerned about lack of communication or the desire for more, that should be fed back.

On recruitment, we needn’t be front of the pack in terms of numbers, what we need is the right quality and I think that is why it is taking longer. Nailing the right players on the right terms when available… I am actually encouraged at this stage that we have not dived head long into signing any old freebie that might turn good. Stockley, Dobson and MacG have all got decent last seasons behind them and NA can build them up from there.

Is it possible that the sponsorship/partnership deal could be linked to shirt sponsorship in which case they may have decided to reveal both new shirt and sponsors together? Big Bang rather than drip feed…

I’ve heard what this is now and without stealIng anyone’s thunder it’s nothing revolutionary and will have no immediate financial impact at all. It can’t be announced, either, so probably would have been best left under the radar.
    Zynex?
  • Options

Zynex?
    Durex?
  • Options
    My concern has completely evaporated, new players for the women's team, Akin and Adam signed and NA his usual chirpy self, oh yes and a brilliant 2-1 last night
    Magic what difference a day can make!
  • Options
    So what's our first 11 looking like currently? 

MacGillivray

Matthews     Innis        Famewo      Purrington

Gilbey      Dobson      Morgan

Jaiyesimi            Stockley                 Washington

Something like that? 
  • Options
    What do we need now?
    A winger, a centre half, another striker and another defender who can play anywhere across a back four I guess would be the minimum?
  • Options
    The concern is the team is the same one (largely) we ended the season with and whether that will be good enough if all stay fit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What do we need now?
    A winger, a centre half, another striker and another defender who can play anywhere across a back four I guess would be the minimum?
    Two wide players, a CM, an LB who could also play CB someone like Herman or Nabby and a striker imo
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I’ve been a little bit concerned about the way the pre-season organising has gone. It feels pretty ad-hoc, for instance games are being announced by other clubs, still (as of the last time I checked) we are not showing the games we have lined up in the “fixtures” section of the OS and we don’t appear to have a game arranged  for the 31st of July, the Saturday before the season starts. 

Currently the first team are due to play four pre-season matches, only one of which Charlton fans can attend, with the final pre-season match taking place 11 days before the season starts.

Hopefully it’s just disruption due to Covid, but something seems a bit off.
    Our coms dept has been terrible for the past two years. 
  • Options
    What do we need now?
    Midfielders.

We've got Dobson & Watson DM, but as JFC will be out, we have only got Morgan and Gilbey for the other central midfield positions, if we're playing 451 we need at least 2 others, and we need 2 or 3 wingers still.  

Another left back, centre back & back up keeper too.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The concern is the team is the same one (largely) we ended the season with and whether that will be good enough if all stay fit.
    Apples and Oranges.  This is the team that started last season.

We already have a better team and there is still the best part of 6 weeks until the season starts, let alone the transfer window closing.

L1 was so shite last season, i'm expecting a dramatically improved league.
  • Options
    What do we need now?
    I would imagine a top quality playmaker/goal scoring midfielder is on the wish list too but everyone is after those right now so it's going to be a waiting game.
  • Options
    So what's our first 11 looking like currently? 

MacGillivray

Matthews     Innis        Famewo      Purrington

Gilbey      Dobson      Morgan

Jaiyesimi            Stockley                 Washington

Something like that? 
    Not much to dislike in that starting line up. Promotion written all over it imo. But I'm sure come the 1st game it will be even stronger
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

We already have a better team and there is still the best part of 6 weeks until the season starts, let alone the transfer window closing.

Hence why I said the team we finished with not started with !

More interesting (but not necessarily more important) will be the new players that join.

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Hence why I said the team we finished with not started with !

More interesting (but not necessarily more important) will be the new players that join.

If we had had the team that played from March (including at least one of Akin and Ryan fit) all season we would have gone up in the autos. 
  • Options
    I'm becoming excited.