Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CAFC Vs Celtic - Pre Season Friendly - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Think we’ll take a tonking personally.
    we’ll be playing kids at some point and they’re way ahead of us in preseason 
  • Options
    Absolutely zero interest in this
    I've less interest than that.
    I've never seen a worthwhile Charlton PSF in my life.
    The last PSF I went to was against Brighton at the Withdean some years back.
    My connecting train from Southampton was full of Spanish students who prattled away loudly non-stop to Brighton.
    The match was played in 30deg bright sunshine with no shade and I was sat next to some 30 stone guy who literally put my spine out of place.
    I travelled back with the worst headache of my life and no paracetamol until I reached home.
    BTW, the game itself was an aimless kick around.
    Never again.
    Ah yeah, @DaveMehmet did say he was at that game. 
  • Options
    The last PSF I went to was against Brighton at the Withdean some years back.
    My connecting train from Southampton was full of Spanish students who prattled away loudly non-stop to Brighton.
    The match was played in 30deg bright sunshine with no shade and I was sat next to some 30 stone guy who literally put my spine out of place.
    I travelled back with the worst headache of my life and no paracetamol until I reached home.
    BTW, the game itself was an aimless kick around.
    Never again.
    Ah yeah, @DaveMehmet did say he was at that game. 
    You can go off someone you know mate.
  • Options
    Remember when I was a boy, Celtic becoming the first British team to win the European Cup.
    It was very big news at the time.

It's not every day we play against former European cup winners ..... even though apparently they are only a pub side in a pub league. :smile:

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    Richard J said:
    I am quite excited by this although I know it is only a glorified training session . Although I wish Scottish football would produce another Ferguson type Aberdeen to break up the Old Firm dominance there is no doubt that the Celts are a massive club . Have we ever played a non English Champions League / European Cup winner before ?

I remember in the 80's we often nicked their famous ' grand old team to play for ' song at away games . 

We have many playing connections and four of their team that beat Barcelona went on to play for Charlton . I posted on my mutual teams thread the Charlton / Celtic team  . I think it is a strong line up .

GK Tony Warner , RB Adam Matthews , LB Mark Reid , CB Paul Elliott, CB Stuart Balmer , RM Aiden McGeady , CM Beram Kayal , CM Zheng Zhi , LM Joe Ledley , ST Paolo Di Canio , ST Jim Melrose .

Carlton Cole , Scott Sinclair and Tony Watt also featured for both first teams .

I really wish we could have played Celtic at Parkhead in a proper friendly and been able to experience an away day in Glasgow .I was on an Open University summer school some years ago and saw Arsenal play at both Parkhead and Ibrox . I also saw Celtic play my favourite Scottish team Raith Rovers in a Cup game some years later and was impressed at how an area which resembled a slum had been transformed . Chris Hoy's Velodrome replaced a derelict Primary School as its neighbour .

Back to the game itself I am interested to see who will be the alternate Goalkeeper given AMB's absence and whether any of the U23's can make a step up .
    We played Valencia in a friendly didn't we? Not sure what iteration of the cup they won but I'm sure they won it at some point
    Runners up twice in the CL 
  • Options
    Porto? 
  • Options
    Does anyone know what time the coverage on Charlton TV starts?
    Depends on where you're watching it. Currently got a screen showing the Celtic starting 11 so assume that's through Celtic TV.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Porto? 
    Yep. We played them in 2002. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Comms team still on holiday ...... ?

Where's the 22 starting lineup today? :smile:
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    You mean that you’re too young to have witnessed Charlton 9 Apoel Nicosia 0. A night to remember.
    Yes I was there & I'm sure they played Arsenal a few days later & drew 0-0
  • Options
    Line up announced no innis
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Good to hear that they jump when I tell them to! :smile:

• Options
    No Gilbey, Inniss or Matthews is a worry. Assume Gunter and Schwartz missing is because they’ve been given extra time off
  • Options
    No Gilbey, Inniss or Matthews is a worry. Assume Gunter and Schwartz missing is because they’ve been given extra time off
    I wouldn't read too much into any of that.

It certainly doesn't mean those players are out for the season!
  • Options
    My  Celtic mate tells me its a 50% first team from them. 
  • Options
    Is this game free on Charlton TV? I thought these were free?

• Options
    The team for the second half looks particularly weak 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am getting errors.. asking me to make a purchase and then subscribe but get page 404 error. Not impressed

• Options
    I am very pissed off with this. I can't even purchase this game as t doesn't recognise my password and I had reset it
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:

Nah £5 per game or £6.50 for the month
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    My  Celtic mate tells me its a 50% first team from them. 
    We should be able to get at least a draw against 5.5 players!
  • Options
    So what would be a decent score line today ? Sheffield Weds lost 3-1 didnt they ? 
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:

Nah £5 per game or £6.50 for the month
    Cheers. I have reset my password 5 times and it doesn't accept my new password. I am giving up on it. 
  • Options
    Darren Bent scored on his debut at the valley against European champions Feyenoord 
  • Options
    i think Scottish teams are a week or two ahead - thats usually the case

Anyway looking forward to seeing some of the younger guys

Clayden is one of them - give him a chance as hes young but hes very direct and a proper winger

Also looking forward to Johl Powell and Jeremy Santos.

Burstow has a lot of potential but mght be a bit young and Wassim is very exciting and this is a big year for him

• Options
    Playing in last seasons grey kit
  • Options
    Deji’s back!!