Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CAFC Vs Celtic - Pre Season Friendly - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    A good workout against a team quite some way ahead of us on fitness. Didn’t embarrass ourselves and thought Washington in particular played very well. Thought Gandalf on the right looked sprightly and Barker was also very good.
    Think that is way more disrespectful than Golfie calling another poster Lawnmower Man. Who the hell is Gandalf meant to be?
  • Options
    With so little to get excited about football wise until the season starts, I’m gutted to have missed the game.  Oh well onto the Welling game …
  • Options
    2-1 flattered us. Celtic's passing and movement was far better and they pressed us for long periods. Worth stating that they played a lot of their youngsters too, especially second-half. They are much better than we will face week-in, week-out so it was a decent performance in the circumstances. Suspect Adkins will be pleased and will know we will be much stronger come 7th August.
  • Options
    Lost the first half, won the second. 

I don't think Celtic looked that much better. Sure they pressed and passed more, but they only managed two goals.

I believe that we're maybe 4 weeks behind them in terms of training and that is all that showed. We came inches from equalising when playing half senior, half academy sides each half.
  • Options
    Standouts for us, for me, in each half were Elerewe in the 1st and Washington in the 2nd. Had thought the 2nd half line-up looked the weaker, but actually turned out the better of the two.  Thought McGillivray could have done better with the 2nd goal & Harness needs to work on his kicking. DJ & Clayden with some good plays in the 1st half.  A very decent showing given the difference in where the two teams are in their respective pre-seasons. 
  • Options
    A good workout against a team quite some way ahead of us on fitness. Didn’t embarrass ourselves and thought Washington in particular played very well. Thought Gandalf on the right looked sprightly and Barker was also very good.
    Think that is way more disrespectful than Golfie calling another poster Lawnmower Man. Who the hell is Gandalf meant to be?
    Ghandour presumably.
  • Options
    Ghandour being called Gandolf. Great ingenuity there. 10/10. 
  • Options
    Missed most of the game due to having to cook a barbecue. Came in to get the sausages and caught our first goal and then came in for some Halloumi and saw the great save from their keeper to keep it 2-1. 
  • Options
    Missed most of the game due to having to cook a barbecue. Came in to get the sausages and caught our first goal and then came in for some Halloumi and saw the great save from their keeper to keep it 2-1. 
    Was Halloumi a triallist today  ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    If we can convert him to a full back, wingers shall not pass.
    I'd prefer we keep him as a wing Wizard.
  • Options
    Ghandour not Gandalf…🤦🏻‍♂️😂, though a bit of wing wizardry never went amiss 
  • Options
    Was it Ben Dempsey wide right first half? Looked to be fast and had something about him. 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Was it Ben Dempsey wide right first half? Looked to be fast and had something about him. 
    Probably Charles Clayden
  • Options
    Lot of positives today …. hopefully some of these young players can kick on and save us money .
  • Options
    It was a good run out. A couple of the  younger boys have some serious pace, which we've lacked. Washington was a class above. Dobson was a little disappointing, but im sure he will find his feet. 
    @Henry Irving I was able to watch the stream for 'free' too. However I checked my subscription I bought last season and it expires late August. Maybe it's the case for you too. 
  • Options
    Was Halloumi a triallist today  ;)
    Wes Halloumi? What position does he play?
  • Options
    Absolutely zero interest in this
    I've less interest than that.
    I've never seen a worthwhile Charlton PSF in my life.
    You mean that you’re too young to have witnessed Charlton 9 Apoel Nicosia 0. A night to remember.
    Charlton 2 Arse 1 was pretty good, too.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Remember when I was a boy, Celtic becoming the first British team to win the European Cup.
    It was very big news at the time.

It's not every day we play against former European cup winners ..... even though apparently they are only a pub side in a pub league. :smile:

I had to go to cubs and missed the second half.  I think that was the beginning of the end of my love for all things Baden-Powell inspired.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    AndyG said:
    I dont know why Washington gets stick on here. He always makes a nuisance of himself and I'm sure will chip in 12-15 goals a season. Him and Stockly will cause opposition teams trouble this season I'm sure
    Does Washington get stick on here? I think he's quite popular
    There are some on here who seem to have it in for him.  Maybe they expected a world beater when we signed a QPR castoff.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Hopefully he'll be wizard.
  • Options
    2-1 flattered us. Celtic's passing and movement was far better and they pressed us for long periods. Worth stating that they played a lot of their youngsters too, especially second-half. They are much better than we will face week-in, week-out so it was a decent performance in the circumstances. Suspect Adkins will be pleased and will know we will be much stronger come 7th August.
    Celtic have been pre-season training for a few weeks now, compared to our first few days only.

They've played games also, which of course we hadn't. Everything about them would have been sharper, fitness and stamina ..... not surprising really that they were dominant.

As you say, a very decent Charlton performance in the circumstances.

• Options
    Looking forward to focusing back on all things Charlton now.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    I know I am sad but I don't mind admitting I celebrated Washington's goal and was gutted when Scott Bain prevented his equaliser.
    Me too mate, really like Washington. There's a fantastic player there, works hard, committed and never shirks, can score too.
  • Options
    I didn’t watch but how did Macgillivray and Dobson do? Cheers
  • Options
    I watched the Celtic goals on their site this morning. They have different angles.

Roddy slipped at full stretch. Any player slips sometimes. Unfortunate but can hardly be blamed.
  • Options
    Good workout  , but Celtic deserved the win . The new Deji was my pick of the youngsters. 
    Neither had a standout game 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Richard J said:
    I know I am sad but I don't mind admitting I celebrated Washington's goal and was gutted when Scott Bain prevented his equaliser.
    Me too mate, really like Washington. There's a fantastic player there, works hard, committed and never shirks, can score too.
    Proper team player too - I bet his team mates love Washo in the side.