Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Deji Elerewe

There’s been a lot of excitement about this lad so I thought he deserved his own thread. 

I watched him in the Play Off final vs Wigan and I thought our centre back pairing of Deji and Naz Bakrin were nervous and error prone from start to finish. 

I’ve watched all the pre season games so far and it’s quite refreshing to see Deji being the stand out youngster. His last ditch defending against Celtic and his long range passing against Welling were a joy to watch. 

Yes, I know these are friendlies but it’s always pleasing to see the youth come through and break into the first team. I am interested to see how Deji handles the rest of pre season and of course, the upcoming season. 

Comments

• Sign him up. You can tell he 'has it'. 
  • Lots & lots of promise, I like him, it’s a big step up to men’s football, is he ready yet for first team football?
  • Already has a YouTube video... https://youtu.be/mig_Yjk_VGg
  • Very exciting prospect 
  • If he isnt signed to a contract I hope we get one sorted soon otherwise I'm sure other clubs will be after him. Really like what I have seen of him so far and tbh will be disappointed if he doesnt feature at some point around the 1st team this season
  • He's got the strength, speed, skill and composure. Looks a cracking prospect.
  • edited July 2021
    Yeah I don’t think we will need to sign another right sided CB this window. This kid looks the real deal, speed, composure, excellent long pass range, and I don’t think the club will want to block his path, we’ve also got Barker who I rate highly at CB. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Why is he holding a chamber pot?
  • I think it's a big ask for him to be our back up centre half so soon.

He certainly has all the makings of a good, maybe a very good player, but a lot of responsibility for a 17 year old.

Yes, Gomez and Konsa did it, I know, but not all players are that good or develop at the same rate.

• Going to blow my own trumpet. Posted the below on the semi-final thread against Birmingham:-

"Wow. How enjoyable was that!

Some real talent in that team. As well as the obvious ones like Henry and Barker, Beadle, Campbell and Burstow - particularly the latter one - look really talented.

But the 2 who really took my eye were the two central defenders, Bakrin and Elerewe. Both of them big, powerful and strong but as well as that, they were both really comfortable on the ball. I will definitely keep an eye on their development.

I bet the FA Cup final isn't half as much fun as that!"

I think both of the guys have a good chance of making it and hopefully saving TS a lot of money!
  • Get him signed up for as long as we can before his agent turns his head.
  • I also thought he looked nervous in the final but is it me or has bulked up over the summer? He
    looks stronger which will really help the transition.

hope to see him feature in all the cup games but too early for the league IMO
  • Definitely need RCB backup. Doesn't mean Deji 2.0 can't claim a starting spot, just means he won't just be doing it because we have an injury crisis.
  • edited July 2021
    RedRobin said:
    Yeah I don’t think we will need to sign another right sided CB this window. This kid looks the real deal, speed, composure, excellent long pass range, and I don’t think the club will want to block his path, we’ve also got Barker who I rate highly at CB. 
    Couldn't disagree more. I get being excitement that both Elerewe and Barker are promising, but with Inniss' fitness issues it would IMO be a disastrous decision not to bring in a RCB. Not a huge fan of Pearce either so really want a decent third choice otherwise we'll be in exactly the same place we was last November - February. 
  • edited July 2021
    Lots of comments disagreeing with me which is fine, we had no issue with Ezri and Gomez when they came into the team at 17? I agree it might be too much to put on a youngster but age is but a number in my book if you’re good enough then you’re old enough. That said if we stand a chance of going up we need depth and experience so agree on those points just hope we give some of these youngsters a chance before Prem clubs come sniffing. 
  • RedRobin said:
    Lots of comments disagreeing with me which is fine, we had no issue with Ezri and Gomez when they came into the team at 17? I agree it might be too much to put on a youngster but age is but a number in my book if you’re good enough then you’re old enough. That said if we stand a chance of going up we need depth and experience so agree on those points just hope we give some of these youngsters a chance before Prem clubs come sniffing. 
    He is absolutely nowhere near the level of Konsa and Gomez, both of whom are now Premier League players and both spoke of being England internationals.

Deji has played in 3 preseason games alongside an old head in Pearce, against non league competition, it is FAR too early to say if he's good enough and therefore old enough
  • Sponsored links:

• RedRobin said:
    Couldn't disagree more. I get being excitement that both Elerewe and Barker are promising, but with Inniss' fitness issues it would IMO be a disastrous decision not to bring in a RCB. Not a huge fan of Pearce either so really want a decent third choice otherwise we'll be in exactly the same place we was last November - February. 

Couldn't agree more. We absolutely need a new CB and hopefully Deji can get some properly managed game time without the risk of having to be thrown in under huge pressure to perform.
  • How long left on his contract?
  • edited July 2021
    RedRobin said:
    Agreed - all three of our senior defenders  have struggled with fitness historically (albeit maybe only last season for Akin).  In my view we need two more centre backs - ideally one that can play left back better than Purrington.
  • wmcf123 said:
    RedRobin said:
    Agreed - all three of our senior spinners have struggled with fitness historically (albeit maybe only last season for Akin).  In my view we need two more centre backs - ideally one that can play left back better than Purrington.
    Is Pearce a slow left footer?
  • RedRobin said:
    Joe Gomez is a Premier League and Champions League winning defender who made his England debut at 20. Yes we all want our academy to produce first team players but comparing them to someone who could well go down as the greatest player we ever produced is crazy at this point. Gomez was 13/14 when he started playing a few games for the U18's, his talent was known for a long time. Both Elerewe and Barker, to my knowledge, have barely played above U18's. Both are bright prospects but seems like they need a nice chunk of U23's football first. 

Also, without meaning to sound pedantic, Konsa was 19 when he started playing for us and is now someone playing regular premier league football and could well get his first England cap in the next year or so. Plenty of time to develop, without rushing. With respect to Inniss, his injury concerns make him unreliable making cover for him an absolute must. 
  • wmcf123 said:
    RedRobin said:
    Agreed - all three of our senior spinners have struggled with fitness historically (albeit maybe only last season for Akin).  In my view we need two more centre backs - ideally one that can play left back better than Purrington.
    Agreed, I think someone has mentioned Ogilvie who fits the bill as can cover the LCB and LB role. Him and a RCB should be enough for the defence. 
  • wmcf123 said:
    RedRobin said:
    Is Pearce a slow left footer?
    Apologies ! Must be the heat. 
  • wmcf123 said:
    RedRobin said:
    Agreed, I think someone has mentioned Ogilvie who fits the bill as can cover the LCB and LB role. Him and a RCB should be enough for the defence. 
    For me we need a RCB and a proper attacking LB, not a LCB who can do a job there. If there are games we want a more solid LB then Purrington’s perfect for that.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!