Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Deji Elerewe

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:
    wmcf123 said:
    RedRobin said:
    Yeah I don’t think we will need to sign another right sided CB this window. This kid looks the real deal, speed, composure, excellent long pass range, and I don’t think the club will want to block his path, we’ve also got Barker who I rate highly at CB. 
    Couldn't disagree more. I get being excitement that both Elerewe and Barker are promising, but with Inniss' fitness issues it would IMO be a disastrous decision not to bring in a RCB. Not a huge fan of Pearce either so really want a decent third choice otherwise we'll be in exactly the same place we was last November - February. 
    Agreed - all three of our senior spinners have struggled with fitness historically (albeit maybe only last season for Akin).  In my view we need two more centre backs - ideally one that can play left back better than Purrington.
    Agreed, I think someone has mentioned Ogilvie who fits the bill as can cover the LCB and LB role. Him and a RCB should be enough for the defence. 
    For me we need a RCB and a proper attacking LB, not a LCB who can do a job there. If there are games we want a more solid LB then Purrington’s perfect for that.
    I am wholly convinced that there are plenty of cheap better alternatives to Purrington out there 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    wmcf123 said:
    RedRobin said:
    Yeah I don’t think we will need to sign another right sided CB this window. This kid looks the real deal, speed, composure, excellent long pass range, and I don’t think the club will want to block his path, we’ve also got Barker who I rate highly at CB. 
    Couldn't disagree more. I get being excitement that both Elerewe and Barker are promising, but with Inniss' fitness issues it would IMO be a disastrous decision not to bring in a RCB. Not a huge fan of Pearce either so really want a decent third choice otherwise we'll be in exactly the same place we was last November - February. 
    Agreed - all three of our senior spinners have struggled with fitness historically (albeit maybe only last season for Akin).  In my view we need two more centre backs - ideally one that can play left back better than Purrington.
    Agreed, I think someone has mentioned Ogilvie who fits the bill as can cover the LCB and LB role. Him and a RCB should be enough for the defence. 
    For me we need a RCB and a proper attacking LB, not a LCB who can do a job there. If there are games we want a more solid LB then Purrington’s perfect for that.
    Yeah fair point, I can understand that. Maatsen to return and do that job?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    wmcf123 said:
    RedRobin said:
    One of several options I imagine.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    wmcf123 said:
    RedRobin said:
    One of several options I imagine.

I actually wouldn't mind maatsen back as a midfielder tbh. Good engine and very tidy on the ball.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    He's tall and he can kick it a long way. Sign him up. 
    In that case... Sign ME up!
  • Options
    In terms of Deji, I said after the half he had at Welling that he will be playing at a high level in a couple of years. He has real class. Could be a great year for him to be playing in the JPT and league cup.
  • Options
    If he's good enough, he's old enough.

Only seen him play once live and I thought he dominated the Wigan attack in the second half. Working with Pearce is only going to improve him.
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    In terms of Deji, I said after the half he had at Welling that he will be playing at a high level in a couple of years. He has real class. Could be a great year for him to be playing in the JPT and league cup.
    From what I’ve seen of him I’d say I agree. Real prospect, but let’s see how he progresses. 
  • Options
    He was very poor in the first half against Wigan but his CB partner was, too, which didn't help.  Much better in the second half.  Having seen him so far this season but it sounds like he's progressed a lot.
  • Options
    I think it's a big ask for him to be our back up centre half so soon.

He certainly has all the makings of a good, maybe a very good player, but a lot of responsibility for a 17 year old.

Yes, Gomez and Konsa did it, I know, but not all players are that good or develop at the same rate.

Leaving aside comparisons with top PL players which is leaping ahead several steps, how many games did Gomez and Konsa play at CB when they first played? I recall them playing at full back more?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    How is he going to have a great year playing 180 minutes?
  • Options
    This lad has a great first touch and moves effortlessly past people,hopefully he will play a part in the next 3 games ,and we can see how good he is.
  • Options
    You can see the potential. I don't think he is there yet, but a long contract whilst we can would be pretty safe move.
  • Options
    The youtube video did show the odd tackle and interception but was mainly ball carrying and passing. I know this is a big part of some CB's game, such as Maguire, but at the end of the day, a CB needs to be able to defend. I'm not saying Elerewe can't, but I think a lot of the positivity around him is just how assured he looks, which is of course great see but I definitely think he needs to 'fill out a bit'. From what I've seen he does have a bright future though and I think working with the U23's who are going to be bigger and stronger than the U18's will do him the world of good. 
  • Options
    Balancing act with Elerewe. Deciding if we need to nail him down to a long contract (gamble) v allowing him to get out of contract and be advised by his agent not to sign another one with us. The latter seems to be the way of the world now. How can you tell if a player is a diamond or a shiny piece of glass at age 17. 
  • Options
    Deji has really impressed in the 3 friendlies .A strong defender who can run with the ball . Early days , but shows real potential. Mental strength is important as one mistake can set you backwards ( Barker wasn't the same after his OG last season ) .
  • Options
    Balancing act with Elerewe. Deciding if we need to nail him down to a long contract (gamble) v allowing him to get out of contract and be advised by his agent not to sign another one with us. The latter seems to be the way of the world now. How can you tell if a player is a diamond or a shiny piece of glass at age 17. 
    Give him a long contract. We've seen the later happen far too many times 
  • Options
    I saw the Welling game and whilst they were.poor generally their striker up top was.a big, powerful man and I was very impressed with how Elerwere held him off on a couple of occasions.  Hope he is on a contract of reasonable length, certainly a prospect.
  • Options
    Definitely has a future. 

Let him develop naturally and he will thrive, force it and we could lose him for peanuts or break him. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    He's tall and he can kick it a long way. Sign him up. 
    I took a bloke from work to his first live match back in the Premier days. We were sat in the back of Nth lower when a 'shot' by Kish landed near us.

Said work colleague reckoned that at half time - the players would have been congratulating him on how far he could kick it  :D
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    he should be named on the bench from the start of the season and brought on if management decide the time is right, e.g. we are 3-0 up .. should be the case, but I doubt it will .. more likely that a loanee will be brought in to cover central defence
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    How is he going to have a great year playing 180 minutes?
    At the very least it's 360 minutes surely?
  • Options
    There is going to be a lot of disappointment, frustration and other adjectives if Deji is retained in the U18s next season.

Lets see if the club think it appropriate to promote him to the u23s first before we expect him to be back up to Inniss, there for play over half the games in a full league 1 season first? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    There is going to be a lot of disappointment, frustration and other adjectives if Deji is retained in the U18s next season.

Lets see if the club think it appropriate to promote him to the u23s first before we expect him to be back up to Inniss, there for play over half the games in a full league 1 season first? 
    Inniss. I thought he was a myth. Not hardly kicked a ball yet and  he really needed a good pre season. I hope we’ve got a couple of good cb’s on our shopping list.
  • Options
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/helluva-lot-of-potential-charlton-teenage-defender-earns-praise-from-academy-chief/

‘Helluva lot of potential’ – Charlton teenage defender earns praise from academy chief

• Options
    Think he'll have learnt a lot from today's game. Ejaria was a tough opponent to keep quiet.
  • Options
    I have no doubt his agent or others are already in his ear telling him to sign nothing. 
  • Options
    The lad is going to be top notch imo. Gutted if he isnt signed to a contract 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!