Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sean Clare - signed for Wigan on a 3 year deal (p30)

Comments

• Options
    I like the guy, he looks like a cheeky fearless winner of the kind we need more of. (Based purely on intuition blended with wishful thinking)
  • Options
    Think he looks like a very capable centre half to be honest. Was great yesterday. 
  • Options
    I've not seen him in this new role yet. What are his strengths/weaknesses? 
  • Options
    With Akin as well we have two really mobile , quick Center backs - with Pearce’s experience it makes a good back 3. 
  • Options
    Also much better throw ins than others in the team.
  • Options
    With Akin as well we have two really mobile , quick Center backs - with Pearce’s experience it makes a good back 3. 
    It works really well, Pearce is protected more as he isn’t dragged into wider positions where he’ll come up against pacey strikers and wingers.

The wider CBs benefit from Pearce’s leadership and experience.

Behind Leko/DJ you have a CB who’s comfortable playing right back, ideal if Leko/DJ get caught upfield.

Clare’s proving to be a very capable squad player and may go on to be even more than that. Gunter and Matthews aren’t long term options so he’s got a chance to make that role his own.

Hopefully Deji will also be pushing for that position.
  • Options
    Him and Akin are both able to carry the ball forwards and beak the lines as well. Could be a useful weapon if and when we start coming up against ‘park the bus’ teams. Is Jacko trying to emulate the overlapping centre backs that Wilder used at Sheffield Utd?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought up at Burton and yesterday he was  excellent.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Liked the combination of him and Gilbey today.  Plenty of energy and some quality driving runs from deep. Just need the right anchor to play with them.
    Orient had a good one
    Please please please can we forget about pratley.

he was a good honest pro who is very fit for his age, he had dropped down a level which may be why he is doing well.

he was a bit of a donkey last season, needless fouls and yellow cards. How about the two unnecessary sendings off that cost us points.

he couldn’t do a 46 game job for us last season and he definitely couldn’t this year

time to move on
    In an ideal world, I’d agree.  I do think he’s better than Watson, Arter, Clare and Dobson, however. 
    I like that this was “lolled” today .  Happy to say that Dobson is now doing the job that Pratley was doing - you’d hope better , given that he’s about 50 years younger.  Clearly I should have known that Adkins could make Salah play like Bally Smart. 

I would still have Pratley ahead of Watson and Arter.  Clare is playing well in his proper position of a right sided defender.  
  • Options
    money well spent .. a hard working and skilful all rounder
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Liked the combination of him and Gilbey today.  Plenty of energy and some quality driving runs from deep. Just need the right anchor to play with them.
    Orient had a good one
    Please please please can we forget about pratley.

he was a good honest pro who is very fit for his age, he had dropped down a level which may be why he is doing well.

he was a bit of a donkey last season, needless fouls and yellow cards. How about the two unnecessary sendings off that cost us points.

he couldn’t do a 46 game job for us last season and he definitely couldn’t this year

time to move on
    In an ideal world, I’d agree.  I do think he’s better than Watson, Arter, Clare and Dobson, however. 
    I like that this was “lolled” today .  Happy to say that Dobson is now doing the job that Pratley was doing - you’d hope better , given that he’s about 50 years younger.  Clearly I should have known that Adkins could make Salah play like Bally Smart. 

I would still have Pratley ahead of Watson and Arter.  Clare is playing well in his proper position of a right sided defender.  
    He’s playing as a right sided centre back for the first time in his career. A bit early to say it’s his proper position but he’s done well and could make it his own.
  • Options
    Just heard his interview on Charlton Live, and even though it’s only really the second time I’ve heard him talk, I was again impressed with how switched on he sounds. 

A very intelligent guy, alongside his obvious attributes, which is probably why he can adapt quiet well to a new role. 
  • Options
    Since Bowyer left, we do possess a number of well spoken and bright sounding players. Am sure there's no link as it was driven by a black box.
  • Options
    thought he was very composed on the ball yesterday - very tempting to panic and just hoist it into the channel but that is the easy option and doesn't do the team any favours - he's got a lot going for him in that he is quick, tall and can play a bit as well so i'm sure we will see him popping up in other positions for us in the next few years as i think he can probably play in any of the midfield positions as well.  
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Clare’s proving to be a very capable squad player and may go on to be even more than that. Gunter and Matthews aren’t long term options so he’s got a chance to make that role his own.

Does he want that though? Wanted to leave Oxford to play midfield so wouldn't be surprised if he feels the same now. Either way, CB is a position we should be looking at anyway. 
  • Options
    Fair point, I guess he’s probably happy to play for now but came here expecting to be a midfielder. I’d see him replacing Gilbey or Lee if they need a rest or were unavailable rather than Watson, Arter or Morgan coming in.

On bringing in a CB in January it’s a difficult one with the squad likit, we have 5 including Deji. I know we’re starting 3 but Clare, Matthews and Gunter have all shown you don’t need all three to be natural CBs to make it work defensively. Having someone who can get forward occasionally and offers a bit more ability on the ball adds to the attack too.
  • Options
    This is exactly what's right, and wrong, about "blackbox" recruitment.  We have signed a tall, athletic, quite good footballer who isn't good enough at the job we signed him for but can do 3 or 4 other jobs well enough.

He is our Jordan Henderson and will probably do really well at something.  When Liverpool first did analysis based recruitment they wanted to play 4231.  Henderson was signed to play wide right!  Downing on the left, Carroll up top and Suarez is the 10.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:

Does he want that though? Wanted to leave Oxford to play midfield so wouldn't be surprised if he feels the same now. Either way, CB is a position we should be looking at anyway. 
    True enough. That said, Jackson has shown a real talent for motivating players and getting them to buy in. Clare may be more amenable to a change/flexibility of position under a coach who makes him feel valued for it and sells the benefits.

I'd agree that a CB is definitely somewhere we should look to strengthen either way but I hope that Clare can be persuaded to stay on as a genuine utility player is a real asset.

• Options
    Chunes said:
    I really like Clare, I think he's a proper Curbs-type player in that he can play in a number of positions. I think he has played centre-back, right-back, right-wing and centre-midfield for us now, and done well in each one. He works bloody hard and he's a tremendous athlete. What a great player to have in the squad.

Clare, Dobson, Lee, Lavelle, etc... The Black Box is picking out some good ones. 
    I like what I've seen of him, I think he's a really good and useful squad player. But I don't think he's quite up to being a regular, at least not yet. His athleticism means he can play in a lot of places and fill in well. I just still have some technical and positional questions about him from his time in midfield.

Don't mean to be overly harsh on the lad though. He's come in at RCB and really done well for a position he's never played before. And having that type of player in your team is so, so valuable. 

With hindsight, I don't know what we spent to get him, but probably not a whole lot, and it looks like a good deal. Maybe he isn't in our first choice XI when everyone is fit. But that's alright. This is what constructing a squad is about, having players to both fill different positions in the side, but also different roles in the side. 
  • Options

• Options
    He might not be a regular when Innis/Lavelle/Pearce are back but he's shown skill and adaptability. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    This is exactly what's right, and wrong, about "blackbox" recruitment.  We have signed a tall, athletic, quite good footballer who isn't good enough at the job we signed him for but can do 3 or 4 other jobs well enough.

He is our Jordan Henderson and will probably do really well at something.  When Liverpool first did analysis based recruitment they wanted to play 4231.  Henderson was signed to play wide right!  Downing on the left, Carroll up top and Suarez is the 10.
    Have we? Or was he always signed to be a squad player, but one that would hopefully develop?

Using data to recruit is a must, but only alongside traditional scouting rather than to replace it.
    I think your agreeing with my first point. Tall, athletic, can play a bit.  You probably wouldn't pick him out with traditional scouting.   Possibly why Oxford signed him on the first place? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Have we? Or was he always signed to be a squad player, but one that would hopefully develop?

Using data to recruit is a must, but only alongside traditional scouting rather than to replace it.
    I think your agreeing with my first point. Tall, athletic, can play a bit.  You probably wouldn't pick him out with traditional scouting.   Possibly why Oxford signed him on the first place? 
    Not sure why he wouldn't be picked up by traditional scouting? He was playing well for Burton in our league last season and was probably known before that from his time at Hearts. Maybe even well before that given he was in our academy.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    He might not be a regular when Innis/Lavelle/Pearce are back but he's shown skill and adaptability. 
    Would Lavelle replace him? Probably. But Inniss and Pearce are definitely fighting over one spot in this formation. Neither could do the RCB job, which is currently contested by no fewer than four other players. 

The real question is who is Famewo's backup. Souaré doesn't seem fit. It's probably Gunter and Matthews again
  • Options
    Tbh I also think Lavelle would work best as the central of the three, but he has some ability on the ball
  • Options
    I agree, I think Lavelle, Innis and Pearce are effectively fighting over one spot. Akin has the LCB spot stitched up as his left-footedness, pace, and comfort on the ball (if not range of passing) means he is well suited to it. RCB needs to be a player comfortable pushing out into the right back area - not sure that's ideal territory for any of the three big stoppers in our squad so it's Clare, Matthews and Gunter fighting for that spot. Maybe Elewere as well. There's a spot there for Clare to make his own if he wants it.