Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sean Clare - signed for Wigan on a 3 year deal (p30)

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Croydon said:
    Redhenry said:
    I would be surprise if he gets a new deal...
    Offering him a new deal would be a good indicator of our aim for the coming season 
    I hope our season isn't overly influenced by who our reserve right back is.  He ended up playing 40 games because Egbo, Kane and Sessegnon all had knack of one form or another and Penny was just, more than a bit, shit.

Think this goes back to @Garrymanilow 's point. Egbo still under contract (plus IMO the better full back) so would we want our two primary right back options to be Egbo and Clare again? Probably not. Let's aim for someone better than Egbo and have Egbo be the "reserve" right back.
    That was my point pages ago.  Is Egbo good enough to be first choice?  Clare is good enough to be second choice.  He definitely isn't good enough to be 1st choice and play 40 odd games again next season.
  • Options
    I think Clare is given way too much of a hard time. An honest pro, who puts his lot in, is willing to bomb forward and back to the 90th and has a trick or two. Some defensive lapses, yes, but the same applies to the entire back four (Ness probably the least guilty) and same could be said of some of the midfielders we would be willing to keep eg Fraser, who has lost the ball in dangerous positions a few times this season. I genuinely believe that if we can strengthen the spine and its depth for that matter, Sean or Manny will be of little concern next season. Or put it another way, if renewing Clare freed up more budget to get a box to box mid better than Albie, a suitable replacement for JRS etc, I would bite their hand off.
    Completely agree with this. Versatile player. 
  • Options
    Seems like he's missing the last game of 21/22 season due to facial op.
  • Options
    This is the litmus test of where we are aiming for next year. 

If he's getting a contract the club have decided Egbo and Clare at good enough for a play-off run, reality shows we need something much better. 
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    cabbles said:
    So the majority of fans want Clare to sign a new contract as long as he only plays occasionally.
    Not just him.  I’ve read the same about Morgan, Inniss, Terrell Thomas, Blackett Taylor.  Some how, the majority of the team/squad that have had such another dire season, like the season before it (albeit slightly different cast of characters), should be retained, as they are good squad players.  This line of thinking for me is a bit odd, I sometimes think we reap what we sow as fans and how accepting of mediocrity we are.

Agree with your general point. I keep reading that these players are good enough to be back-ups at a promotion-chasing club. People said the same about DJ, Lavelle, Forster-Caskey, etc. at the end of last season. Now they're playing in L2, or not even making a squad. 

Strangely, no L1 clubs (and especially not promotion-chasing ones) saw fit to sign them lot as their squad players.

And now we have this batch. If they are let go, where they end up will be very telling. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    cabbles said:
    So the majority of fans want Clare to sign a new contract as long as he only plays occasionally.
    Not just him.  I’ve read the same about Morgan, Inniss, Terrell Thomas, Blackett Taylor.  Some how, the majority of the team/squad that have had such another dire season, like the season before it (albeit slightly different cast of characters), should be retained, as they are good squad players.  This line of thinking for me is a bit odd, I sometimes think we reap what we sow as fans and how accepting of mediocrity we are.

Agree with your general point. I keep reading that these players are good enough to be back-ups at a promotion-chasing club. People said the same about DJ, Lavelle, Forster-Caskey, etc. at the end of last season. Now they're playing in L2, or not even making a squad. 

Strangely, no L1 clubs (and especially not promotion-chasing ones) saw fit to sign them lot as their squad players.

And now we have this batch. If they are let go, where they end up will be very telling. 
    Promotion chasing clubs mainly sign first choice players with their current players becoming squad players, plus a few signings that don’t work out.

That’s the key, signing a good number of first choice players who improve us.

Our last two promotion winning squads featured several players who were average L1 at best. This squad wouldn’t improve if we could add Reeves, Marshall or Wagstaff to it. Those squads wouldn’t be weakened had those three swapped with CBT, Clare or an older Morgan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Seems like he's missing the last game of 21/22 season due to facial op.
    What? 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    cabbles said:

If we take Clare as an example, of course no promotion club is going to sign him.  How many other promotion chasing clubs have 2 contracted defenders, one that has played about 20 games and one that has spent 80% of the season injured?

If we released Clare, what sort of player should we be looking at signing as a back up right back?

One that has played 40 games for a mid table league one club this season or...
  • Options
    I would keep Clare for his versatility.

Curb's always appreciated  versatile players in his squad
  • Options
    I would keep Clare for his versatility.

Curb's always appreciated  versatile players in his squad
    Gone
  • Options
    Noooooo, one of my favourites...
  • Options
    I understood that Clare wants to pay further forward and not at right back. I don't think Clare is a great right back, and when I have seen him play, wanders out of position. In the right midfield, occassional bits of good attacking play. Not convinced at him at right midfield either. He may been offered a back up right back role and wanted to find a manager that will play him at right midfield.
  • Options
    Wont be surprised if he ends up back @ Burton
  • Options
    vff said:
    I understood that Clare wants to pay further forward and not at right back. I don't think Clare is a great right back, and when I have seen him play, wanders out of position. In the right midfield, occassional bits of good attacking play. Not convinced at him at right midfield either. He may been offered a back up right back role and wanted to find a manager that will play him at right midfield.
    Enjoyed watching Clare play but he does switch off far too often. Curious to see where he ends up...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's actually a decent player but plays a bit too much walking football. 
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    I've heard he was going to write a letter to Charlton fans thanking them for his time at the club.

Trouble was he didnt know where to start... Sorry Sean
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    I think his position should be right back. Yes he can simetimes not pick players up but as cover, there isn't a massive hole in the position when he is called upon. I think an issue which might have cost him a contract is that he can't play left back.  He actually slows moves down when he plays there. He can play midfield, it being his known for position, but he isn't dynamic there or a goal scorer. I think there would have been pros and cons when making this decision though.

I would expect him to be picked up by a League One club.
  • Options
    We have lost a good athlete, if erratic player.
    Sean Clare came within a whisker of scoring a goal after running from his own half at the valley and his goal against the Champion's Plymouth was Excellent.

I said Simon Francis would play higher than Cafc when he was Slated out of Charlton.

I believe Sean Clare will play at least League 1 next season.
    I could see Plymouth giving him a contract.
  • Options
    Thought he would be decent as a defensive mid....not a great right back IMO ....good luck Sean always gave it a go