Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sean Clare - signed for Wigan on a 3 year deal (p30)

Comments

• Options
    Won't be here after the summer. Not seen as good enough for midfield , and doesn't have the attributes for RB. Good at carrying the ball out, end product is not consistent enough in opposition half.
    Does a job, but not quite at the level we need.

• Options
    Won't be here after the summer. Not seen as good enough for midfield , and doesn't have the attributes for RB. Good at carrying the ball out, end product is not consistent enough in opposition half.
    Does a job, but not quite at the level we need.

According to someone who will be here in the summer? Struggling to think who that might be for definite!
  • Options
    Would definitely want to keep him, but mainly as a squad player! Always good to have a versatile player on the bench.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Dozey bastard is at it again 

Min 31: tries to take a throw in when the lino gave a corner

Min 32: gives away a foul outside the oppo box with a needless push in the back
  • Options

Gives away needless free-kick on edge of Plymouth's box when they were under pressure...
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Gives away needless free-kick on edge of Plymouth's box when they were under pressure...
    Min 49. Plymouth player facing their own goal and Calre gave him a nice outlet…
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    What is this? A witch hunt??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What is this? A witch hunt??
    It’s me being tired of this shit week in week out.

Lovely lad I’m sure, but that‘s not enough on a Saturday.
  • Options
    That was a lovely turn on the edge of our area
  • Options
    Ha wish I’d thought of that. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    He won't be here in the summer because the club is a dysfunctional morale-sapping basket case and he will be very happy to escape like many others will.

Staggers me that he gets stick when we have the likes of Penney and Kirk on the books plus others who have hardly contributed anything.

If we had a half-decent left-back, our very decent right-back could play in his proper position and Clare could play alongside Dobson and Fraser in his proper position. He may not be perfect  but he would be a big upgrade on Payne/Morgan and other raffle winners.  

The fact is the season is effectively over and we still don't have a solid left back and that is not the fault of Sean Clare.
    He's 26, if he was a "big upgrade" in central midfield he'd be established there by now. He'd be just as ordinary as Morgan there.

It's not his fault but if he's part of a top 6 club he'd be versatile cover on the bench at best.

He's a great example of Thomas and Martin thinking they're being clever in the transfer market and picking out undervalued players. The problem is he's not someone who's going to develop and step up to the level above.

As decent as he has been when things are going well there's no doubt the money spent on fees and wages on Clare, Kirk, Lavelle etc could have been spent far better.
  • Options
    He is not a defender, he doesn't think like a defender, he doesn't position himself correctly, he rarely gets close enough and gets in a block, he either doesn't mark at all or if he does he doesn't get tight enough.
    He's ok charging forward when he's spontaneous and doesn't have to think.
    A squad player at best, which is what he was at mid table Oxford U.
    I thought his best spell was as a 'ball playing' centre back in a three. Maybe the return of Egbo ( or maybe Kane) might give him another Opportunity in that role.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    In a thin field, I thought he was one of our better players today. 
  • Options
    What does he actually bring to the pitch that effects the team positively in any way? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sam_777 said:
    What does he actually bring to the pitch that affects the team positively in any way? 
    Nothing really apart from the wonder goal he scored. I’m not a fan. 100% committed player but just not good enough. Like most of our squad actually. 
  • Options
    Sam_777 said:
    What does he actually bring to the pitch that affects the team positively in any way? 
    That’s harsh. He is very good at bringing the ball out from the back with his dribbling. Gets us up the field often. His problem is he can’t cross, which is why 3rd Centre back might be his best position as he can do that and then not have to cross it afterwards. 

He’s also a pretty good covering defender, he’s quick and can make a last ditch tackle. Which is helpful as he’s often out of position 
  • Options
    Clare POTY so far …. like to see him in as one of the 3 in centre mid alongside Fraser .. 
    ...and Dobson @RonnieMoore?
  • Options
    Clare POTY so far …. like to see him in as one of the 3 in centre mid alongside Fraser .. 
    I like Clare and he was deserving of 2nd place last season. But this season at the very least he’s behind Dobson, Rak-Sakyi, Fraser, Leaburn and Sessegnon 
  • Options
    He is not a defender, he doesn't think like a defender, he doesn't position himself correctly, he rarely gets close enough and gets in a block, he either doesn't mark at all or if he does he doesn't get tight enough.
    He's ok charging forward when he's spontaneous and doesn't have to think.
    A squad player at best, which is what he was at mid table Oxford U.
    100%
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    I quite like Clare, but maybe third or fourth. I’d rate Dobbo and Ness above him (and Rak Sak). Definitely above Fraser though. He’s really lost form over the last four or five games. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I quite like Clare, but maybe third or fourth. I’d rate Dobbo and Ness above him (and Rak Sak). Definitely above Fraser though. He’s really lost form over the last four or five games. 
    According to Holden yesterday Fraser has been fighting an injury. 
  • Options
    Rob said:
    JamesSeed said:
    According to Holden yesterday Fraser has been fighting an injury. 
    Then why keep playing him?
  • Options
    Finding the Clare hate really bizarre when there is an army of better candidates.