Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sean Clare - signed for Wigan on a 3 year deal (p30)

Comments

• Options
    Interesting - for some he is their favourite player, for others he's a utility player at best.

Being outplayed by player in a team placed 50 above us in the English leagues, and who's transfer value is probably more than that of our whole team just doesn't seem a valid criticism to me.
    To be honest I'd rather have Egbo in there, or sign a left back and have Sessegnon on the right.  Clare should be a useful squad player at this level, who still gets plenty of games (covering RB, RCB and midfield) given there's 50+ games a season, but given the lack of depth we have he's a starter.

He's a decent league one player.
    Pretty much my thoughts.

If/when Tayo Edun comes in I expect he will come straight into the left back position, and Sessegnon will shift over to the right - which means ultimately he will be third choice RB at the club.

Midfield is the one place where we have lots of competition, and depending on if McGrandles can actually show some of the form if had when Lincoln got to 5th - then I find it hard to see him being up the pecking order there as well.

That's no disservice to him at all. But that is just the reality of it. 
    3rd choice RB/4th choice FB overall is about where he should be and it's exactly what we needed in the summer regardless of Egbo's injuries. Even if we didn't sign someone who is hopefully as good as Edun turns out to be, we really missed the chance to utilise Sess's versatility. Even if Egbo and Sess had started the season as FB's, we should have had a left-back who was third choice ready to come in for either. 

Our midfield 3 last night were decent and is probably the best trio. At the moment I'm not sure about the competition. Payne is ok but Henry still up and down. We really need McGrandles to come good although obviously jury still out. In the summer we still need a quality one although we can probably make do until then. 
    And Clare's, to be fair.
    Possibly as a RCB when we've played 5 at the back, but I think he's a RB to be honest. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    It's his lack of vision that does it for me. Sometimes the pass is so obviously on but he doesn't see it. 

He's broken free down the right hand side numerous times this season but to my memory, every pass/cross has gone straight to a defender. 

When he's confident and in form he still looks like a good player somehow.
  • Options
    Personally thought he had his best game playing at RWB. Feel that plays to all his strengths but then allows him the cover of a 3rd defender next to him.

I think with a fully fit squad, he would be an excellent option off the bench to add pace and athleticism against a tiring team, whether it’s to cement a lead or go chasing one.
  • Options
    Not biggest fan of Clare does some needless stuff to get booked and doesn’t react defensively sometime.but he is not really a defender. But absolutely fantastic last night he left nothing on that pitch up with Dobson for effort and commitment. 
    I do think Clare is positionally suspect defensively at fullback from time to time. 
    But he's a real asset with his athleticsm and willingness to constantly get forward.

• Options
    Chunes said:
    It's his lack of vision that does it for me. Sometimes the pass is so obviously on but he doesn't see it. 

He's broken free down the right hand side numerous times this season but to my memory, every pass/cross has gone straight to a defender. 

When he's confident and in form he still looks like a good player somehow.
    FB is not his natural position to be fair. In the right set up he'd be useful in midfield as the ball carrier - for arguments sake Dobson wins the ball, Clare takes it forwards and then gives it to Fraser to pick the killer pass.

Theoretically anyway.
  • Options
    I thought he was phenomenal tonight 
    First half Gal he was being mugged off, 2n half like a different player. Probably one of the best performances I've seen from him in a charlton shirt. He was superb
  • Options
    I thought he was phenomenal tonight 
    What about that first half performance ? Lost count how many times garnacho turned him inside out. Very good second half though 
    There must have been team instructions to play very narrow, because both fullbacks were tucked in. I guess the instructions were to create defensive stability within the penalty area. Once he/management realised Garnacho was an issue, Clare moved 10 metres over. After that Garnacho wasn't a threat.
  • Options
    I don't think he thinks while he plays, like, at all. Just sees straight lines and pure vibes 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cares more about messaging birds and doing silly hand gestures 
  • Options
    Career league one player for a reason 
  • Options
    The 'good' players people wanted to keep last year are nowhere near good enough. 

Get rid of them all and begin again. 
  • Options
    Annoyed me first half when he decided to give up and go down while they were attacking. No physio needed and he was absolutely fine. 
  • Options
    This guy baffles me. He has the physique and the technique to be a decent EFL footballer.

But week after week he has lapses in judgement that are impossible to explain - a silly touch that gives away a dangerous set piece, a nonsense foul that kills the momentum of our attacks.

It doesn't always get punished by the opposition and so it often flies under the radar on but his lack of nous and game management ability is absolutely shocking.

And that's what keeps him in league one. If Clare, Fraser, Blackett-taylor were more consistent, if sess and aneke could be fitter and if Dobson could add more to his game... Well, they'd all more than likely be in the championship. 

• Options
    He is another talentless player of many in our squad.
  • Options
    Not sure I'd offer him a new contract though in our current situation it would likely see him replaced with someone worse.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Not sure I'd offer him a new contract though in our current situation it would likely see him replaced with someone worse.
    To be fair to Clare he is never going to hold down a starting place in a promotion winning team but

He started off as a midfielder, when we had 3 fit ones

Then he was a center back, when we had 3 fit ones

Now he is the only fit right back.

He has played almost ever game since he has been here by default.  In 3 different positions.  You need players like Clare.  You don't want players like Clare playing 35+ games a season.  There is a big difference.
    Agree that's what it comes down to, if he's here as a versatile cover he could be useful for a top 6 squad though someone you'd move on after getting promoted. As you say the fact that he's a regular is the issue.
  • Options
    Early season he was looking like one of our best players. Hrs really dropped since then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Without a comma, this reads in three different ways! 
  • Options
    I try not to judge Clare to harshly as we’ve seen he’s the back-up to Egbo. When Egbo is fit we will see Clare back on the bench again. 
  • Options
    I think its safe to say that I'm in the minority in thinking that he's alright and I enjoy watching him play (alongside AMB, Ness, Dobson and Rak-Sakyi - the rest are dull).
  • Options
    He can be a frustrating watch but has been decent enough for a few seasons. When it's time for him to push on, he seems to go the other way.
  • Options
    I think he shows a lot of positive intent and on the basis he was not developed as a defender as far as I am aware (am pretty sure his natural position is midfield), think he gives his best in that unnatural position to him every game.

Not sure we will get to see him much in midfield now, unless Kane and Egbo both return soon and free him up. There are a lot worse players in and around our squad. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Should go back to playing as a right-sided CB in a back three. Probably the best spell he's ever had for us. 

As a RB/RWB but he gets in a decent position down the right and he's got nothing. He doesn't have a cross, doesn't have the quality or composure to pick out a pass – it just fizzles out. 

Completely agree with callum about his game management, it's infuriating at times. 

Surely has potential as some kind of quick, overlapping CB in a three. 
  • Options
    I like him, especially as he has given up meat and fish, not many footballers like that.
    His long range goal earlier this season will end up as one of our best five goals from the campaign.
    So far for me the best was Aaron Henry against QPR.
  • Options
    I like Clare and think he’s been playing well recently. I’d definitely give him a new contract. Really needs to work on his crossing but other than that he’s a good attacking full back for this level. Defensively he is a bit suspect especially positioning but no league 1 player is not going to have weaknesses. Holden might want to keep playing 3 at the back which makes Clare more useful also 

If we are serious about challenging then he shouldn’t be in our first 11, but looking at previous promotion seasons and the parts played by the likes of Ben Reeves, Lapslie, Andy Hughes etc… then in terms of building a squad I think having Clare as a versatile backup is useful enough to keep him around. What we can’t have is like the last 2 seasons where Clare has been a key player