Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sean Clare - signed for Wigan on a 3 year deal (p30)

Comments

• Options
    Why did he limp off?

He had a major fall during the first half (into the opposition dugout) but seemed to recover, but after about 55 minutes was really struggling and went off straight down the tunnel.
    The ref didn’t seem to think there was anything wrong with the challenge. I did think that he might had hit his face on the railings.
  • Options
    Why did he limp off?

He had a major fall during the first half (into the opposition dugout) but seemed to recover, but after about 55 minutes was really struggling and went off straight down the tunnel.
    Maybe a precaution as we were doing well.
  • Options
    Why did he limp off?

The ref didn’t seem to think there was anything wrong with the challenge. I did think that he might had hit his face on the railings.
    How the hell that wasn’t a booking I will never know.

Hope he recovers from whatever it was that made him go off, he has made a huge difference this season even without that superb strike last night.
  • Options
    Didn't rate him last season, he has started this one superbly.  Needs to cut out the silly fouls against the better teams.  Egbo going to find it very hard to dislodge him

Rhythm is a dancer
    Sean Clare is the answer
    You can play him anywhere
    Scoring goals like rockets
    Wingers in his pockets
    He's got really massive hair

That's superb! 
  • Options
    Was at the QPR game with a QPR fan who hadnt seen him before. He rated Clare a lot and thought he was wasted at right back.
  • Options
    It's likely Clare will be sought after if maintains consistency. Championship teams love this kinda full back.
  • Options
    Interesting that two players fans can't get enough of at the moment are Clare and Dobson. This time last year they were poster children for our terrible transfer business (why are we signing League One rejects?!). I'm not saying that there weren't problems with how we signed players in that window, but it just goes to show that a bit of time to settle and suddenly players can show you why Gallen and the rest wanted to sign them in the first place.
    You're right of course but still a bit fortunate with Clare given he was signed to play midfield. 
  • Options
    Was at the QPR game with a QPR fan who hadnt seen him before. He rated Clare a lot and thought he was wasted at right back.
    It's one of the positions on the field, just as important as all the others. I can't see how anyone could be 'wasted' there
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Why did he limp off?

Maybe a precaution as we were doing well.
    He looked knackered and went straight down the tunnel 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    It's one of the positions on the field, just as important as all the others. I can't see how anyone could be 'wasted' there
    I get what your saying but he was meaning that with his pace, athleticism, ability to get up and down the pitch and his composure/ability on the ball he could have more influence in the middle. I Would still like to see him given a run there but cant really see it happening with this squad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    I get what your saying but he was meaning that with his pace, athleticism, ability to get up and down the pitch and his composure/ability on the ball he could have more influence in the middle. I Would still like to see him given a run there but cant really see it happening with this squad.
    I don't quite think he has the ability in tight spaces or passing range that Garner wants from his midfielders. There's a reason Gilbey is being frozen out (actually there are several, but that's the main one)
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Interesting that two players fans can't get enough of at the moment are Clare and Dobson. This time last year they were poster children for our terrible transfer business (why are we signing League One rejects?!). I'm not saying that there weren't problems with how we signed players in that window, but it just goes to show that a bit of time to settle and suddenly players can show you why Gallen and the rest wanted to sign them in the first place.
    100% Clare wouldn't get in our squad as a midfielder.  Either more luck than judgement or genius levels of visionary long game playing.  I really think he could play in the championship at right back.  If he wants to.
    Robinson knew he was a full back.  For all of his Brentisms and tactical limitations (which I think he’s probably grown out of) he is a good judge of a footballer .  
    Agreed. I always thought that when he was manager of Charlton, Robinson was a good judge of a player. 

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    I don't quite think he has the ability in tight spaces or passing range that Garner wants from his midfielders. There's a reason Gilbey is being frozen out (actually there are several, but that's the main one)
    I agree but still think he could do a job. In a crisis i would have him ahead of Gilbey for sure.
  • Options
    What a goal !
    That will take some beating for GOTS. 
    A defender that can play in different formations, and scores the odd goal - very valuable player. 
  • Options
    #Sean Clare is a vegan
    He sent us all to heaven
    Ah la la la
    Ah la la la#

Might need a bit of work.

The player certainly has cult hero potential at the very least.

• Options
    edited August 2022

I will say this only once, Hello Hello.

Your mate is so wrong, did no one notice how good Shaw was in the Euro's as an attacking back. (Had a wobble since !)

In the modern game the attacking backs are so important and we struggled so much last season because of the lack of pace in the wing back areas so we played wingers and asked them to defend or one paced defenders like Matthews, Purrington and Gunter who struggled to get up and down the flanks.

We have enough midfielders but Clare can cover so many positions but let's forget about when Sean was unsettled at RB at Oxford; under Garner he can really show what a decent footballer he is with his charges forward and helping to hit teams in transition. 

The days someone was wasted as a back was so last Century. You spend as much time attacking than defending in a flexible, fluid, Garner type formation.  You can play JJ's 3-5-2 or Garner's 4-3-3 but you need pace and Clare has it to wing it down the flanks plus he can defend as well. Fraser, Dobson, Morgan, and MaGrandles are in front of him plus he covers all the defensives positions other than LB.

• Options
    It's as if he hasn't watched Liverpool during the last few years, where TAA and Robertson gets loads of goals and assists, and are key parts of their attacking play
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why did he limp off?

It was his shoulder. He landed awkardly. 
  • Options
    In this system he can really show off his quality and midfield attributes. Bit like Trent at LFC, he can playmake from a sort of quaterback role. Looks like he's really enjoying himself. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    I agree - he lacks the awareness of what is around him too. At right back , he has much more space in front of him and it better suits his athleticism. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Why did he limp off?

It was his shoulder. He landed awkardly. 
    I thought it was more Clare's fault for lunging in anyway. 110% commitment, but not a sensible challenge where the ball was
  • Options
    Read somewhere - Twitter I think - that he had an ice pack on his knee but precautionary and should be fine. Hope so!
  • Options
    …he had an ice pack on his knee…!
    That’s from the 🚀  burns!
  • Options
    Read somewhere - Twitter I think - that he had an ice pack on his knee but precautionary and should be fine. Hope so!
    Yes, He walked on the pitch at the end with a pack around his knee. Let's hope all is okay 
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    I like the fact he's vegan. Suggests he has integrity. He may not have,of course, but experience tells me most vegans have the ability to empathise with others - a trait I personally find important. He also always comes across well in interviews. 
    so, as a non vegan, I lack integrity do I?
    Classic failure of logic there. “All A is B” does not mean “All B is A”. 
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    I like the fact he's vegan. Suggests he has integrity. He may not have,of course, but experience tells me most vegans have the ability to empathise with others - a trait I personally find important. He also always comes across well in interviews. 
    How does being a vegan & having empathy go together. I have no idea of the statistics but I wouldn't have thought more than 10% of the population are vegan. Therefore the vast majority of the population are not vegan. You do realise that these people also have empathy. Therefore there are far more empathetic non vegans on this planet than vegans with empathy. 

Skewed logic.
    Completely skewed logic and reasoning in your part, Golfie. Saying a person probably has empathy because they’re vegan is not saying anything about non-vegans.  I have a qualification in logic so I do know what I’m talking about. 
  • Options
    Anybody still think we should have kept Matthews and Purrington :)