Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sean Clare - signed for Wigan on a 3 year deal (p30)

Comments

• Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Still doesn't sound like what he wants exactly, "if that's where the gaffer sees me...." but starting at right back is better than being on the bench as a midfielder, and sounds like he'll be professional about it.
    Being utilised as a right back was quoted as part of the reason for his leaving Oxford.  How long is his contract?  If he's deployed as makeshift right back most of the time through til Christmas, Garner risks losing him in January.  Still having no senior left backs at all (Sessegnon's best position by far is on the right) is worrying.  We're one more injury and a suspension away from nobody with any senior full back experience at all and that's mad.
    Two year contract.  If he does well for a year at right back, then leaves to try and be a midfielder somewhere else, I'd take that, frankly.
  • Options
    He's spent most of last season as a right-sided centre back, and looks like he'll be right back (as well as CB and CM cover) this year. If he really wants to make it as a centre mid I'd have thought he'd be looking for a move now. He's unlikely to get a gig as a first choice midfielder after two season player RB/RCB with us on top of the last year at Oxford at RB.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    seth plum said:
    I like him as a person because he is a Vegan.
    Possibly our first since Jermaine Defoe, but Jermaine may not have been a vegan that young.
    Anybody know if Ron Dangerfield is also a Vegan?
    You judge a person by what they eat (or don't eat)? 
    Nothing wrong with that.  I’m not impressed by anyone who eats fois gras. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    seth plum said:
    Possibly our first since Jermaine Defoe, but Jermaine may not have been a vegan that young.
    You choose to like someone purely because they're vegan... That means you must dislike some people purely because they're not. That's pretty shallow.
    You introduce the word ‘purely’ as if there is only one factor that might make a person likeable or not.
    Perhaps you should’ve started your post with the word ‘if’.

"I like him as a person because he is a vegan."

The introduction of the word purely is to add emphasis on what you said. You literally stated you like him because he's vegan.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    seth plum said:
    You judge a person by what they eat (or don't eat)? 
    Nothing wrong with that.  I’m not impressed by anyone who eats fois gras. 
    And I don't like my mates when they eat baked beans...
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    seth plum said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    seth plum said:
    You choose to like someone purely because they're vegan... That means you must dislike some people purely because they're not. That's pretty shallow.
    You introduce the word ‘purely’ as if there is only one factor that might make a person likeable or not.
    Perhaps you should’ve started your post with the word ‘if’.

"I like him as a person because he is a vegan."

The introduction of the word purely is to add emphasis on what you said. You literally stated you like him because he's vegan.
    I might also like him because he helps old people across the road, would that mean I like him 'purely' because he is helpful?
  • Options
    Wriggle wriggle.
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind seeing him in centre mid again tbh. Seems to be a victim of his own versatility.
  • Options
    I like the fact he's vegan. Suggests he has integrity. He may not have,of course, but experience tells me most vegans have the ability to empathise with others - a trait I personally find important. He also always comes across well in interviews. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cloudworm said:
    I like the fact he's vegan. Suggests he has integrity. He may not have,of course, but experience tells me most vegans have the ability to empathise with others - a trait I personally find important. He also always comes across well in interviews. 
    so, as a non vegan, I lack integrity do I?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Cloudworm said:
    I empathise with people and have integrity,and love a good ribeye!! 

To be honest that is a bit of a brain fart of a comment. How can either of those attributes just be applied to being vegan.?
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    so, as a non vegan, I lack integrity do I?
    Well, Boris Johnson is a non vegan. :smile:

• Options
    I do wonder whether Garner will get Clare learning how to play CB in a back 2, in preparation for Egbo's return, in case both Inniss and Lavelle turn out to be sub-optimal at this whole Barcelona from the back thing. Or whether Clare will keep the role and Egbo will become a wing-forward option
  • Options

Only on Charlton Life....
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I do wonder whether Garner will get Clare learning how to play CB in a back 2, in preparation for Egbo's return, in case both Inniss and Lavelle turn out to be sub-optimal at this whole Barcelona from the back thing. Or whether Clare will keep the role and Egbo will become a wing-forward option
    We don't want to discuss all that old rubbish, Leuth ...... just are you a vegan and do you have integrity? :smile:

• Options
    Cloudworm said:
    How does being a vegan & having empathy go together. I have no idea of the statistics but I wouldn't have thought more than 10% of the population are vegan. Therefore the vast majority of the population are not vegan. You do realise that these people also have empathy. Therefore there are far more empathetic non vegans on this planet than vegans with empathy. 

Skewed logic.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I wouldn’t rule out SS moving across to RB, especially if we get a LB in. Good to have a few promising options rather than Matthews and Gunter.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    I wouldn’t rule out SS moving across to RB, especially if we get a LB in. Good to have a few promising options rather than Matthews and Gunter.
    I think this is exactly what should happen.
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    How does being a vegan & having empathy go together. I have no idea of the statistics but I wouldn't have thought more than 10% of the population are vegan. Therefore the vast majority of the population are not vegan. You do realise that these people also have empathy. Therefore there are far more empathetic non vegans on this planet than vegans with empathy. 

Skewed logic.
    Meat makes you miserable, Golfie.

FACT! :smile:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    Also got to think about our relationships with the parent loan clubs.

Cant imagine Premier League sides being impressed after last season, so makes it silly to have two loanees fighting over LB
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    Especially when you consider they had 123 international caps between them. 

• Options
    There should really come a point where Clare recognises that if he's going to hit the heights he's capable of in his career he's got to play where he's needed most, not where he wants to. He's never really looked right at central midfield to me, not technically capable enough or good enough at positioning to dominate in the space. He's ok in a 3 at centre back but still has too many positioning lapses and wasn't able to develop a communicative relationship with his wingback because I don't think he really knew where his wingback should be. He's strong though, quick enough, committed, a strong tackler and capable of putting in a cross. It's not hard to see why a few different managers have seen his strengths as a right back. I think at this point he'd do well to accept that he's a right back, use this time to make it impossible for Egbo to force his way back into the team and contribute at both ends of the pitch. He can have a great season if he focuses on making this spot his own.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Leuth said:
    We don't want to discuss all that old rubbish, Leuth ...... just are you a vegan and do you have integrity? :smile:

I'm a pescetarian, and I'm going to protest the regime until they reopen Seabay
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Never said meat eaters couldn't be empathetic, just that vegans usually are.

However, I'm starting to think maybe meat kills brain cells and makes people a bit touchy.
  • Options
    rananegra said:
    Sean Clare joined the admittedly short list of players I've met outside of a Charlton context (the other was Bradley Pritchard) a couple of months ago in a small folk club in North London. No I wasn't expecting it either, but his Dad was playing. We had a brief chat and he came across very well. I like him as a player, and hope he does well this season. Came across as level headed and appreciative. 
    Was he eating a ham sandwich?