Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sean Clare - signed for Wigan on a 3 year deal (p30)

Comments

• Options
    He still has lapses at the back which cost us goals so the sooner we can get him out of the back four, the better. Midfield may be better for him, or playing the utility role off the bench…
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    I thought he was phenomenal tonight 
    What about that first half performance ? Lost count how many times garnacho turned him inside out. Very good second half though 
  • Options
    I think saying he was poor first half is harsh. Got torn apart for the first 15mins. Was good after that 
  • Options
    He always looks better bursting forward than he is defending.
  • Options
    even in those early exchanges he put in some big tackles
  • Options
    Not biggest fan of Clare does some needless stuff to get booked and doesn’t react defensively sometime.but he is not really a defender. But absolutely fantastic last night he left nothing on that pitch up with Dobson for effort and commitment. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Interesting - for some he is their favourite player, for others he's a utility player at best.

Being outplayed by player in a team placed 50 above us in the English leagues, and who's transfer value is probably more than that of our whole team just doesn't seem a valid criticism to me.
    He is more than adequate at this level. IMO the criticism he gets on here is very similar to the unjustified abuse that Simon Francis used to get from our ultra-critical support. 
  • Options
    Would like to see him in the Morgan role and grab his chance. He will need to turn in an 8/10 performance else will be considered a RB/RCB/RWB.
  • Options
    Getting beaten a few times in that first 20 mins by one of the most exciting young talents in the world is understandable.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Interesting - for some he is their favourite player, for others he's a utility player at best.

Being outplayed by player in a team placed 50 above us in the English leagues, and who's transfer value is probably more than that of our whole team just doesn't seem a valid criticism to me.
    To be honest I'd rather have Egbo in there, or sign a left back and have Sessegnon on the right.  Clare should be a useful squad player at this level, who still gets plenty of games (covering RB, RCB and midfield) given there's 50+ games a season, but given the lack of depth we have he's a starter.

He's a decent league one player.
  • Options
    Thought he did well last night and was very committed. I like him as a player whatever his limitations are.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    I think that’s very generous because he was a liability for a chunk of the first half. Admittedly he was superb in the second 
    Honestly I actually have more respect for his performance BECAUSE of that period of the 1st half, weird though that might sound.

Yes he was basically being toyed with and the thread was (justifiably) filling with "long night for Clare" type comments BUT he didn't give up or break down he kept going and going and looked a lot better later on.

That shows real character IMO.
    It's not weird, I don't disagree. But I think if someone starts poorly then plays really well it's over the top to say he was phenomenal. Overall he was pretty good but if we sign the left-back, he doesn't start for me.
  • Options

To be honest I'd rather have Egbo in there, or sign a left back and have Sessegnon on the right.  Clare should be a useful squad player at this level, who still gets plenty of games (covering RB, RCB and midfield) given there's 50+ games a season, but given the lack of depth we have he's a starter.

Fair, but I think in a better team he'd be a better player.  I think he has moments of brilliance that he doesn't get the chance to exploit because he is busy covering our other shortcomings.

But I know fuck all about football really.
  • Options

Pretty much my thoughts.

If/when Tayo Edun comes in I expect he will come straight into the left back position, and Sessegnon will shift over to the right - which means ultimately he will be third choice RB at the club.

Midfield is the one place where we have lots of competition, and depending on if McGrandles can actually show some of the form if had when Lincoln got to 5th - then I find it hard to see him being up the pecking order there as well.

That's no disservice to him at all. But that is just the reality of it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thenewbie said:
    I think that’s very generous because he was a liability for a chunk of the first half. Admittedly he was superb in the second 
    Honestly I actually have more respect for his performance BECAUSE of that period of the 1st half, weird though that might sound.

Yes he was basically being toyed with and the thread was (justifiably) filling with "long night for Clare" type comments BUT he didn't give up or break down he kept going and going and looked a lot better later on.

It's not weird, I don't disagree. But I think if someone starts poorly then plays really well it's over the top to say he was phenomenal. Overall he was pretty good but if we sign the left-back, he doesn't start for me.
    Okay, he played really really well. It’s not that deep.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Okay, he played really really well. It’s not that deep.
    I know, I'm not digging you out, I just disagreed. 
  • Options
    He always looks better bursting forward than he is defending.
    Once he calmed down his tackling was fine, his passing though...
  • Options

Pretty much my thoughts.

If/when Tayo Edun comes in I expect he will come straight into the left back position, and Sessegnon will shift over to the right - which means ultimately he will be third choice RB at the club.

Midfield is the one place where we have lots of competition, and depending on if McGrandles can actually show some of the form if had when Lincoln got to 5th - then I find it hard to see him being up the pecking order there as well.

3rd choice RB/4th choice FB overall is about where he should be and it's exactly what we needed in the summer regardless of Egbo's injuries. Even if we didn't sign someone who is hopefully as good as Edun turns out to be, we really missed the chance to utilise Sess's versatility. Even if Egbo and Sess had started the season as FB's, we should have had a left-back who was third choice ready to come in for either. 

Our midfield 3 last night were decent and is probably the best trio. At the moment I'm not sure about the competition. Payne is ok but Henry still up and down. We really need McGrandles to come good although obviously jury still out. In the summer we still need a quality one although we can probably make do until then. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Before we forget, Clare is performing a better level than Matthews/Gunter at RB. 
    This is certainly true of L1 Matthews and Gunter. 
  • Options
    Yes - the versions that we were left with in their final season before they were replaced by Clare. 
  • Options
    He's a trier and can't fault him for that but technically he is lacking. 

A good athlete for sure but not sure the footballing brain is there to reach higher levels. 
  • Options

Pretty much my thoughts.

3rd choice RB/4th choice FB overall is about where he should be and it's exactly what we needed in the summer regardless of Egbo's injuries. Even if we didn't sign someone who is hopefully as good as Edun turns out to be, we really missed the chance to utilise Sess's versatility. Even if Egbo and Sess had started the season as FB's, we should have had a left-back who was third choice ready to come in for either. 

Our midfield 3 last night were decent and is probably the best trio. At the moment I'm not sure about the competition. Payne is ok but Henry still up and down. We really need McGrandles to come good although obviously jury still out. In the summer we still need a quality one although we can probably make do until then. 
    And Clare's, to be fair.
  • Options

Pretty much my thoughts.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see him back as a 3rd CB. If Rak-Sakyi is recalled and we sign a striker then I think Holden might go back to 3-5-2