Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sean Clare - signed for Wigan on a 3 year deal (p30)

Comments

• Options
    Players do sometimes play more than one position, or swap positions in their career

The likes of Pitcher, Kishishev, Cousins and Dijksteel all played in midfield and RB for us

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    So his description made him sound very much like a CDM, however EVERY video of him suggests he's a CAM. 
    He sounded like a bar of chocolate, but he looks like a camcorder?

Maybe I'm just getting old  ;)
  • Options
    I think Powell's recruitment leading up to the title win was so good, it is unfair to compare anything with it. 
    Not to mention the points tally they got.

In the last 20-years only three other teams have been promoted from League One with 100-points or more.

Powell's team have the second highest points haul in the entire history of this Division!!
    Didn't Powell bring in 15 players from Spring to the summer. As for his promotion season I believe there were so many records set, the one I enjoyed most was the 19 away wins, of which I got to 13 with my 10 year-old in her first season watching football. Charltonised she was. Most definitely a Sir in our house. 
    I probably saw more away wins in that season than all other seasons I’ve supported Charlton combined. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    So his description made him sound very much like a CDM, however EVERY video of him suggests he's a CAM. 
    Clare also says he can play every role in midfield.
    I think I'll just call him a CM!
    Or maybe just M.....He can play anywhere after all, I remember when you were a "midfielder" and that's it,
    now there's CDM, CAM, CM....... B)
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Players do sometimes play more than one position, or swap positions in their career

The likes of Pitcher, Kishishev, Cousins and Dijksteel all played in midfield and RB for us

Loads of our players played in different positions for us last season.  Millar played in 3 different ones on his debut! 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Welcome to SE7 Sean Clare.

Watching his videos, how on earth has Robinson decided to play him as a right back? a player who travels with the ball that well, with that stature and that shot does not belong in a back line or as wing back. Got a good feeling about this signing, might be the player we have been missing since Stephens and to an extent Aribo after that. Looks like someone who will win the ball, keep it and bring it forward. Also finally a competent penalty taker. 

as said previously, Dobson and Clare seem like massive upgrades on Pratley and Watson with higher ceilings for us
  • Options

Watching his videos, how on earth has Robinson decided to play him as a right back? a player who travels with the ball that well, with that stature and that shot does not belong in a back line or as wing back. Got a good feeling about this signing, might be the player we have been missing since Stephens and to an extent Aribo after that. Looks like someone who will win the ball, keep it and bring it forward. Also finally a competent penalty taker. 

as said previously, Dobson and Clare seem like massive upgrades on Pratley and Watson with higher ceilings for us
    I drew the comparison with Aribo actually from the little footage I've seen. Our midfield should have 10 times the energy it had last season. If we can sign at least one quality winger I'd certainly be on my way to optimism. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    You can bang on about Powell's summer all summer but let's be honest in in 2011 we finished 13th in league 1.

We only had 4 players left that played any meaningful part of the next season.  Fast foward 10 years and if you include the players that have resigned we already had 10 or 11 good but not great league 1 players.

We are only probably 3 or 4 players short of Powell's best team.  We didn't need the Hayes, Hughes, Evina, Euall, Taylor, Alonso, Sullivan type signings.  We have already made the Court, Hamer, Hollands signings.

Stephens, Yann, Green and Wiggins, probably Morrison type ones are still to come.

Anyone that counts Bover, Smith and Pope can give their head a wobble. 
    That team was immensely solid and had goal scorers. 50 goals between BWP, JJ and Yann. 
  • Options

I drew the comparison with Aribo actually from the little footage I've seen. Our midfield should have 10 times the energy it had last season. If we can sign at least one quality winger I'd certainly be on my way to optimism. 
    yeah exactly, it's the shape of his body and the way he travels through a crowd with the ball from those short snippets. Gonna stick my neck out and say he wins our POTY, early bet
  • Options

yeah exactly, it's the shape of his body and the way he travels through a crowd with the ball from those short snippets. Gonna stick my neck out and say he wins our POTY, early bet
    I'll remember that one! If he stays fit, Inniss is a fans favourite with the bonus of being a Charlton fan. My shout is Stockley, think our fans like the idea of quite an old fashioned centre forward. 
  • Options
    Haven't even heard of him! So cant really comment.

Which means I wont rubbish him, nor declare him a Hollands equivalent signing for our midfield.

I assume he fits the bill of one of the best midfielders in league 1 going on some of the reactions here.

I am so out of touch with league 1 football - think I will have to get used to not knowing much about our players until I see them in our shirt.

You're not the only one. I ain't got a scooby.

Football depth of knowledge is minimal.

If they don't play for Charlton, England, top 6 of the premier League, I will definitely not know who the player in question is. Terrible with names.

I can analyse them when they put the red shirt on.
  • Options
    Not sure if already posted but here are Robinsons comments on the move:

“It was the right thing to do for all of us.

“Sean came in, he worked hard and there’s a tremendous relationship between us moving forward.

“He felt for his development it was best he moved on - he wants to be an ‘8’.

“If you look at that position, we already have a load of players in that area - James Henry, Marcus McGuane, Cameron Brannagan.

“He goes with our wishes and our blessings.

“There’s no animosity whatsoever, he’s a talented young man who we hope really does well.”

So in short Robinson doesnt rate him enough to take the shirt off any of those players. To all intents and purpose it comes across like we have taken a player off Oxford United that they are not bothered about losing.

• Options
    shirty5 said:

Good stat.
    I passed on this to @shirty5
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Good stat.
    Lets hope its a sign .

Young was our promotion winning captain in 1974/75 .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Richard J said:
    shirty5 said:

Good stat.
    Lets hope its a sign .

Young was our promotion winning captain in 1974/75 .
    Andy Nelson’s first signing for the club 
  • Options
    Not sure if already posted but here are Robinsons comments on the move:

“It was the right thing to do for all of us.

“Sean came in, he worked hard and there’s a tremendous relationship between us moving forward.

“He felt for his development it was best he moved on - he wants to be an ‘8’.

“If you look at that position, we already have a load of players in that area - James Henry, Marcus McGuane, Cameron Brannagan.

“He goes with our wishes and our blessings.

“There’s no animosity whatsoever, he’s a talented young man who we hope really does well.”

Really surprised Brannagan is still there, I was sure someone from the league above would have nicked him by now
  • Options
    Wasn't Marcus Mcguane an Arsenal wonderkid that ended up going to Barcelona? Surprised to see him in League 1.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Wasn't Marcus Mcguane an Arsenal wonderkid that ended up going to Barcelona? Surprised to see him in League 1.
    Arsenal > Barca > Forest u23s > Oxford.

So so hard to judge young players obviously got something about him.  Still only 22 so could still do it.  So many reasons players don't mature the way lots of experts think they will.  Often, laziness, puts it down as attitude or hunger but it could be dozens of different reasons. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    MarcusH26 said:

So so hard to judge young players obviously got something about him.  Still only 22 so could still do it.  So many reasons players don't mature the way lots of experts think they will.  Often, laziness, puts it down as attitude or hunger but it could be dozens of different reasons. 
    I find Dale Jennings' career to be one of those interesting ones. Tranmere > Bayern Munich > Barnsley > MK Dons > Runcorn Town > Prestatyn Town > Runcorn Town
    Read a very good interview about his career on the Athletic a few months ago... Pretty sure he had a good few injury problems, his young daughter then got cancer, and had to get rid of it twice. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    MarcusH26 said:

I find Dale Jennings' career to be one of those interesting ones. Tranmere > Bayern Munich > Barnsley > MK Dons > Runcorn Town > Prestatyn Town > Runcorn Town
    Read a very good interview about his career on the Athletic a few months ago... Pretty sure he had a good few injury problems, his young daughter then got cancer, and had to get rid of it twice. 
    Yep, as well as unsurprisingly finding moving to Munich aged 18 a bit too difficult
  • Options
    I remember at the time when we bought Dale Stephens, a few people thought we had bought Dale Jennings! As it turned out Dale Stephens was the one who had the best career
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Please tell me I wasn't the only one who read that sentence wrong.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Please tell me I wasn't the only one who read that sentence wrong.
    I had to read it twice.  I think I know what he ment now.

@killerandflash I was in the canteen at work and someone shouted to me that we had signed Jennings.  It was on sky sports news.  The Web site even had a picture of him, the whole article was actually about Jennings, its wasn't they just used the wrong name.  Very strange.