Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Training Day - Your Views

Comments

• Options
    Croydon said:
    That'll be what the 3 managers have seen in training that stops them from picking him then 😂
    Good to know penalty shoot outs take place at every training session at every level though
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    @Athletico Charlton
    Any chance of a pic of the "crowd" assume it's west stand only? Forcing you all to look upon the Alan Curbishley East Stand. 
    Didn't see this until too late I am afraid.  I would have compared the crowd to the kids v Wigan, a few hundred.  Not massive bit decent for a training session.
  • Options
    Sounds a good day. I wouldn't lose sleep about the shootout as I'm sure we'll miss out on points this season from the spot!
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Suggests we won’t be bringing in that sort of player to play ahead of him.

Will be interesting to see how he does this season under NAs management compared to Bowyers. Got a good feeling he’ll push on as he’ll get a run of games and the shirt number shows there's faith in him. I don’t see NA focussing so much on his weaknesses or dropping him as often for defensive errors. 

Feels like he’s a player that could really benefit from NAs positivity over Bowyers “if it worked for me it’ll work for you” approach. Bowyer was always bringing up the time George Graham dropped him, but they’re different players in different times, playing at different levels.
    You have to be joking. He is already that player.
     I have always liked Morgan because he can see a pass and make it. But Bowyer was spot on about Morgan’s weaknesses. To Morgan’s credit he got his head down, worked hard, and improved steadily over the season. He is a far better player than he was at the start of last season and IMO worthy of an improved contract as I think he is going to be a big player for us this season.
  • Options
    Think I could see Watson in the pics. Any sign of Gilbey training? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    redman said:
    Think I could see Watson in the pics. Any sign of Gilbey training? 
    He wasn't in that clip of them coming from the changing rooms. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

Will be interesting to see how he does this season under NAs management compared to Bowyers. Got a good feeling he’ll push on as he’ll get a run of games and the shirt number shows there's faith in him. I don’t see NA focussing so much on his weaknesses or dropping him as often for defensive errors. 

Feels like he’s a player that could really benefit from NAs positivity over Bowyers “if it worked for me it’ll work for you” approach. Bowyer was always bringing up the time George Graham dropped him, but they’re different players in different times, playing at different levels.
    I don't we it was likley that would bring in a starting player as a "10" like Fraser or the Welsh marmite types.  Maybe as a plan C or D.  I think Adkins currently prefers a more physical presents there.  Clare was the most advanced of the 3 against Palace.

Big season for Albie, not only to nail down the shirt, but more so in defining a position or role that he can call his own. 
    Can see that position working for him, Dobson covering behind and Clare making those runs into the box. Morgan being deeper can pick out passes, his main strength, while still having some freedom to get forward.

On paper Clare’s physical presence will be more dangerous in the box and Morgan can pick out those runs rather than being the player making them.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Gilbey wasn't there
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Redrobo said:
    Scoham said:

You have to be joking. He is already that player.
     I have always liked Morgan because he can see a pass and make it. But Bowyer was spot on about Morgan’s weaknesses. To Morgan’s credit he got his head down, worked hard, and improved steadily over the season. He is a far better player than he was at the start of last season and IMO worthy of an improved contract as I think he is going to be a big player for us this season.
    Joking about what? I’ve always liked him for the same reason and even defended Bowyers management of him, as you say he definitely improved. To be that big player for us he needs to start regularly, I think he’s more likely to get that under NA than Bowyer who I think would have continued to drop him.
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Gilbey wasn't there
    That's a blow imo. He'll be a big player for us this season once fit.
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Gilbey wasn't there
    That's a blow imo. He'll be a big player for us this season once fit.
    We started to see his class towards the end of the season. Real shame, hopefully Covid hasn't affected him too much. 
  • Options
    801912601 said:
    NA praised Matthews, DJ, Morgan, Washington, Watson & Davison as having especially strong pre seasons. Innis should get 60 mins at Fulham & if that goes well he will be ok for the Wendies match
    Watson? Hasn't he just been ill with covid? 
  • Options
    Yes he really heaped praise on Davison - ‘scoring for fun in training’ I think he said. Spoke of Clare’s athletic ability but also said he was technically very good 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think the Davison praise is very telling. Adkins has already said he’s not leaving on loan, so one can assume he’s going to be one of our strikers this season.

Unless we can get rid of Schwartz ASAP, I can’t see us getting another striker in the building. 
  • Options
    I think the Davison praise is very telling. Adkins has already said he’s not leaving on loan, so one can assume he’s going to be one of our strikers this season.

Unless we can get rid of Schwartz ASAP, I can’t see us getting another striker in the building. 
    Big concern for me that, have to be honest. Don't have much faith in those scoring enough goals. I defo want another one so hopefully (without meaning to sound too harsh), Schwartz goes. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I think alot of people are doing NA a disservice tbh. He has had time now to look at the players he has at the club. If he thinks Davison & some of the other younger players can do a job then that is good enough for me. He knows what it takes to succeed and lets me honest he wasnt exactly pushing for a return to management was he. He decided to come here and I think we should all just trust the bloke. On a plus side from what I have seen so far in the PSF ( Iknow they are friendlies ) the signs look good. We are starting to look like a team with a plan in terms of how we play and not just the turgid sideways-backwards style of last year
    How much of it is just him knowing we're not getting another striker and having to make do though? 

He's hardly gonna come out and say Davison is League Two at best, then have to bring him off the bench to get a winner in games. 
  • Options

Big concern for me that, have to be honest. Don't have much faith in those scoring enough goals. I defo want another one so hopefully (without meaning to sound too harsh), Schwartz goes. 

We're in a bit of a similar situation to Tottenham with Kane. We've got our main striker so it's very hard to bring in someone of quality who knows they probably won't play unless Stockley is injured. Davison fits the bill there I guess but it is a big gamble on Stockley being fit for most of the season.
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:

We're in a bit of a similar situation to Tottenham with Kane. We've got our main striker so it's very hard to bring in someone of quality who knows they probably won't play unless Stockley is injured. Davison fits the bill there I guess but it is a big gamble on Stockley being fit for most of the season.
    This is a good point. It’s one of the reasons I hate playing one striker and partly why I didn’t want Stockley back on a permanent. 

It is what it is, if Stockley stays fit he can score 20+ at this level. 
  • Options
    For what it’s worth I think his praise of Davison is genuine - he wasn’t asked about him specifically but chose to single him out for praise at least twice. We need two big strikers - - one first choice who plays 35 games and younger one who players 10 or so and we’ve got that. 

Chuks is a champ (maybe even bottom of premier league) player who is a fairly unique situation in my view a bit like Kermorgant. You can’t really replace that. 
  • Options

I think with Jayden Stockley, we’ve put all our egg in one basket. Thankfully, I don’t think the way we’re going to play relies on the striker scoring every week. 

It’s just as much Stockley’s job to hold the ball up for wingers/midfielders to score, as it is to put the ball in the net himself. 

There’s something about Davison, he’s got an edge to his game that I like. If he could hit the target regularly, I think we’ve got a good player in our hands.