Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Training Day - Your Views

Comments

• Options
    Anything said on lack of transfers etc?
  • Options
    Only that ‘they’ll be more coming in, we all know that’ or something. I’ve noticed when asked recently he’s shied away from elaborating on that at all and quickly moved on to talk about current squad or the young players 
  • Options
    I think the Davison praise is very telling. Adkins has already said he’s not leaving on loan, so one can assume he’s going to be one of our strikers this season.

Unless we can get rid of Schwartz ASAP, I can’t see us getting another striker in the building. 
    Tbf NA publicly said the other day in the SLP that Davison will be "one of his striking options" this year, or words to that effect. So think he will be our 3rd choice IMO behind Stockley + Washington.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/young-striker-set-to-be-part-of-charltons-first-team-plans-next-season-after-impressing-boss-nigel-adkins/
  • Options
    I think the Davison praise is very telling. Adkins has already said he’s not leaving on loan, so one can assume he’s going to be one of our strikers this season.

Unless we can get rid of Schwartz ASAP, I can’t see us getting another striker in the building. 
    Big concern for me that, have to be honest. Don't have much faith in those scoring enough goals. I defo want another one so hopefully (without meaning to sound too harsh), Schwartz goes. 
    I think with Jayden Stockley, we’ve put all our egg in one basket. Thankfully, I don’t think the way we’re going to play relies on the striker scoring every week. 

It’s just as much Stockley’s job to hold the ball up for wingers/midfielders to score, as it is to put the ball in the net himself. 

There’s something about Davison, he’s got an edge to his game that I like. If he could hit the target regularly, I think we’ve got a good player in our hands.
    I don't dislike Davison, I'm happy to give him a chance. I think going into the season with him and Schwartz, rather than just one of them is asking for trouble. 

I get what you mean about Stockley but there's plenty of football to be played. There's injury, suspension or just when he needs a rest. Or purely as a substitute even. 
  • Options
    I think we have this season wrapped up.

Bring it on.
  • Options
    @Pavoren007 Seeing as you were in the club shop, do you know if the new training gear was being sold? Thanks
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    AndyG said:
    I'm not worried about where goals will com from this year. Injury free Stockley will get 20 + I'm sure. Washington ( who I really rate and gets far to much stick on here ) will chip in with 12-15 playing out wide. Add to that our midfield I really dont think goal scoring will be an issue
    Washington’s highest goal return in a season is 13, and that was playing through the middle. Can’t see him scoring 15 from the left. 
  • Options
    arny23394 said:
    AndyG said:
    I'm not worried about where goals will com from this year. Injury free Stockley will get 20 + I'm sure. Washington ( who I really rate and gets far to much stick on here ) will chip in with 12-15 playing out wide. Add to that our midfield I really dont think goal scoring will be an issue
    Washington’s highest goal return in a season is 13, and that was playing through the middle. Can’t see him scoring 15 from the left. 
    To be fair, I think he signed for QPR in that January. He would have broke 20+ that season.
  • Options
    arny23394 said:
    AndyG said:
    To be fair, I think he signed for QPR in that January. He would have broke 20+ that season.
    That was the season after. He got 13 in 40, then 10 in 25 before his move to QPR where he got 0 in 15. 
  • Options
    mart77 said:
    @Pavoren007 Seeing as you were in the club shop, do you know if the new training gear was being sold? Thanks

That stuff the players are wearing wasn't on sale, but hummel did do a neon green and navy blue range that was for sale
  • Options

This 100%. Still think we need a small nippy striker but hey ho. 
  • Options
    Yeah I'm inclined to agree. With our system we've already got Stockley, Davison and Washington who can all play in the 1 striker role. It's an exciting wide forward that we really need, maybe 2.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    @Athletico Charlton
    Any chance of a pic of the "crowd" assume it's west stand only? Forcing you all to look upon the Alan Curbishley East Stand. 
    What do you mean FORCING?

The Alan Curbishley Stand (or East Stand as I'll always know it as) is the best one in the Stadium!!
    The official name (and rightly so), is of course The Alan Curbishley Stand…..however as time goes by I have the feeling it’s going to be known as The Curbside, at least I and a few others hope so.
    Nothing wrong with that IMHO and still shows total respect to the great man, whilst at the same time is quite a clever play on words.

So may I, with the greatest respect, put forward the nickname of……”THE CURBSIDE” 🥳🥳🥳
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I think alot of people are doing NA a disservice tbh. He has had time now to look at the players he has at the club. If he thinks Davison & some of the other younger players can do a job then that is good enough for me. He knows what it takes to succeed and lets me honest he wasnt exactly pushing for a return to management was he. He decided to come here and I think we should all just trust the bloke. On a plus side from what I have seen so far in the PSF ( Iknow they are friendlies ) the signs look good. We are starting to look like a team with a plan in terms of how we play and not just the turgid sideways-backwards style of last year
    I suppose that's the thing. As long as any manager can get a team to play good, attractive football then the fans will forgive a lot. You can have the best players in the world but it means very little if the manager insists on passing backwards & sideways for most of the game.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:
    I think alot of people are doing NA a disservice tbh. He has had time now to look at the players he has at the club. If he thinks Davison & some of the other younger players can do a job then that is good enough for me. He knows what it takes to succeed and lets me honest he wasnt exactly pushing for a return to management was he. He decided to come here and I think we should all just trust the bloke. On a plus side from what I have seen so far in the PSF ( Iknow they are friendlies ) the signs look good. We are starting to look like a team with a plan in terms of how we play and not just the turgid sideways-backwards style of last year
    How much of it is just him knowing we're not getting another striker and having to make do though? 

He's hardly gonna come out and say Davison is League Two at best, then have to bring him off the bench to get a winner in games. 
    No your right but my take on NA is that he didnt need the job. He isnt one of these journyman managers that seem to be in and out of jobs every season or so. He came here to do a job and my own opinion is that if he thought he wasnt getting what was discussed initially he would be off. Just my view
    But NA has been straight all the way through. In his very first interview he says he likes to give youth a chance. TS has also said that we should be investing in our Academy. No surprise NA is bigging up Davison.
  • Options
    I enjoyed the day with a few small gripes, Q&A was good but I wanted to hear from Alan (and then Nige) without Scott Minto going on a tangent with regards to a red card he got for Benfica, think could of got a few more q's too but i appreciate timing was tight.

with the training I know they had to take some caution in regards to where they could go due to the new pitch but bit strange to get everyone in the west stand then have the players do 50% of the session in front of the east, and to be really critical  they could have more made of the penalty shootout at the end, just seemed to start and be over v quickly when it was slightly hyped up at the start

Must say Nigel commentating on training was excellent, the man's enthusiasm for the game is infectious!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2021
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Who said we are short of players, bloody dozens of them..... 

Best part of the day, getting in the video of the team running out onto the pitch.
  • Options
    mart77 said:

That stuff the players are wearing wasn't on sale, but hummel did do a neon green and navy blue range that was for sale
    Sorry, yeah, exactly this and that trining gear looks good too. Was really hoping a few 3rd strips would be available but not long to wait…
  • Options

Big concern for me that, have to be honest. Don't have much faith in those scoring enough goals. I defo want another one so hopefully (without meaning to sound too harsh), Schwartz goes. 
    I think with Jayden Stockley, we’ve put all our egg in one basket. Thankfully, I don’t think the way we’re going to play relies on the striker scoring every week. 

It’s just as much Stockley’s job to hold the ball up for wingers/midfielders to score, as it is to put the ball in the net himself. 

There’s something about Davison, he’s got an edge to his game that I like. If he could hit the target regularly, I think we’ve got a good player in our hands.
    I have no problem with Stockley being the main man this season. Proved himself last season as a reliable striker who scores more often than not.
  • Options

I don't dislike Davison, I'm happy to give him a chance. I think going into the season with him and Schwartz, rather than just one of them is asking for trouble. 

I get what you mean about Stockley but there's plenty of football to be played. There's injury, suspension or just when he needs a rest. Or purely as a substitute even. 
    Yeah completely agree, we need another striker in the building. We all know Schwartz hasn’t worked out, as much as we wish it had. 

I just don’t see it happening. I think we’re going to invest in the wide areas and fill the rest of the squad with loans. We might get a young Premier League striker but who will send us a youngster knowing they’re never going to play ahead of Stockley? 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    @Athletico Charlton
    Any chance of a pic of the "crowd" assume it's west stand only? Forcing you all to look upon the Alan Curbishley East Stand. 

The Alan Curbishley Stand (or East Stand as I'll always know it as) is the best one in the Stadium!!
    The official name (and rightly so), is of course The Alan Curbishley Stand…..however as time goes by I have the feeling it’s going to be known as The Curbside, at least I and a few others hope so.
    Nothing wrong with that IMHO and still shows total respect to the great man, whilst at the same time is quite a clever play on words.

So may I, with the greatest respect, put forward the nickname of……”THE CURBSIDE” 🥳🥳🥳
    Ahem! I believe if you check I have already registered lobbing that one in, and  I Claim all the royalties and the secondary rights associated with said feeble pun.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    How much of it is just him knowing we're not getting another striker and having to make do though? 

He's hardly gonna come out and say Davison is League Two at best, then have to bring him off the bench to get a winner in games. 
    Yeah Bowyer wouldn't do that in the Championship to Bonne either would he 😉
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    @Athletico Charlton

Ahem! I believe if you check I have already registered lobbing that one in, and  I Claim all the royalties and the secondary rights associated with said feeble pun.
    Yes mate…..I knew someone had but couldn’t remember who.
    Should this in due course become a fact you must surely be credited with being the originator.
    Quite a few stadiums around the country have nicknames for their stands.
    Those that wish to call it by its correct full name will clearly do so, nothing wrong with that……this is just an option which I believe to be very respectful to all concerned.
    I have discussed this with a few others and everyone either really liked it or at least had no objections.