Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Valley goes cashless.

Comments

• Options
    Makes sense to me, admittedly difficult at kiosks but in the "indoor" outlets a simple would you like a receipt would do harm - and it's quicker than counting change surely 
  • Options
    SE9toDA2 said:
    What about u18 with no bank card going to the game with their mates. Can no longer buy refreshments!! Think that can be classed as discrimination or short sighted reducing your target audience 
    They can bring a thermos like the rest of us.
  • Options
    #no harm
  • Options
    Could of told me before I bought me season ticket.
  • Options
    Something I feel is worth mentioning regarding card payments in Crossbars....

When we last frequented the Fans' Bar on a regular basis, paper receipts were not issued.

It was a case of "If you want a receipt for payment, give us your email address & you'll be sent one ". 

I always felt this was NOT ideal. 

Surely you have every right to receive an instant receipt, detailing your purchases , in order to check that the correct amount has been debited to your account. 

Drinks' prices have to be & are shown on a card on the bar but when it's very busy ( usually pre ko) it's difficult to check the small print from a distance whilst others are queuing. 

Of course, the club doesn't run the catering etc these days but I feel this is an issue which should be taken up with them now that every purchase will be cashless. 
    I could always see the price on the hand held device.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    It's potentially a little dangerous saying no cash. At least 2-3 times over the past few years some of the machines haven't worked under the covered end, saying no cash they can't easily switch as they'll unlikely have a float and the punter might not either. I hope they've also sorted the tills out as neither till nor card machine showed the amount last time I paid by card (would normally pay by cash).

Cards still cost the retailer, so hope they haven't passed that on to the consumer...... and they better take Amex! Probably means I'll skip buying a programme, I sort of did out of habit so won't now.
    If you’re keen on using cash still, then buy your programme before entering the ground. 
  • Options
    I do think if Delaware North/club haven’t installed the right kit this could be a pain. If it’s the same fisher price tills and handhelds where someone has to type the price in, then get the tap, wait for the terminal to connect, and then it goes slow, it’s going to be carnage. If it’s a shiny Tablet with a reader connected and an always on connection to the Payments peeps, it’ll be sweet 
  • Options

When we last frequented the Fans' Bar on a regular basis, paper receipts were not issued.

It was a case of "If you want a receipt for payment, give us your email address & you'll be sent one ". 

Surely you have every right to receive an instant receipt, detailing your purchases , in order to check that the correct amount has been debited to your account. 

Drinks' prices have to be & are shown on a card on the bar but when it's very busy ( usually pre ko) it's difficult to check the small print from a distance whilst others are queuing. 

Of course, the club doesn't run the catering etc these days but I feel this is an issue which should be taken up with them now that every purchase will be cashless. 
    & have it confirmed by an app on your phone
  • Options

Clearly, you don't buy a round for everyone in your group , CE....

1 or 2 drinks, fair enough to check but it's always chaos at the bar so more than that makes for a hasty transaction IMO which is not ideal for the purchaser.
  • Options
    I certainly have had no problems at Lord's and The Oval with contactless, indeed pretty sure they went cashless at bars back in 2019

Funnily I was in a Wetherspoons a couple of weeks ago and neither of my contactless cards worked. I had to use chip and pin instead
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It should only connect for authorisation if the transaction amount is above the vendors floor limit. Ie there bank would have agreed a transaction limit, anything under the limit does not need to be authorised via connection to the bank. 
  • Options
    Definitely tell my 77 year old Mum to take a flask then - and she and her friends do sit in the Curbs Stand 😊
  • Options
    SE9toDA2 said:
    It should only connect for authorisation if the transaction amount is above the vendors floor limit. Ie there bank would have agreed a transaction limit, anything under the limit does not need to be authorised via connection to the bank. 
    If the terminals and PSP are set up right, it should be an instant connection between all three, if you’re a Monzo/Starling/Revolut customer, you usually get the confirmation notification before the terminal where it’s been done well.
  • Options

1 or 2 drinks, fair enough to check but it's always chaos at the bar so more than that makes for a hasty transaction IMO which is not ideal for the purchaser.
    I know let's say a pint of lager/Guinness is £4.50, so I expect 4 pints to show £18ish before I tap.
    No different to most pubs, where they don't generally issue receipts.
    I would object if I didn't know the price being charged.
  • Options

I know let's say a pint of lager/Guinness is £4.50, so I expect 4 pints to show £18ish before I tap.
    Well, I clearly have more friends than you, CE ! 

OK. 8 drinks to order ranging from a pint of cola, 1 large rose wine ( pour moi!), 1 medium white wine, a J2O, 2 lager shandies & 2 bottled beers. Do you get my point now ? 

Perhaps it would help if the price of drinks were on laminated cards distributed on all tables & at more points on the bars.
  • Options
    6 quid at Fulham in that delightful away end a bit steep. Wonder if it's card only in the Jimmy Seed 
  • Options
    edited August 2021

Well, I clearly have more friends than you, CE ! 

OK. 8 drinks to order ranging from a pint of cola, 1 large rose wine ( pour moi!), 1 medium white wine, a J2O, 2 lager shandies & 2 bottled beers. Do you get my point now ? 

Perhaps it would help if the price of drinks were on laminated cards distributed on all tables & at more points on the bars.
    £32-£35 :smile:
  • Options
    No cash?

Gonna have to jib my drinks.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    T_C_E said:
    Guess who’s overseeing the smooth running of the cashless catering kiosks https://images.app.goo.gl/knmppnHuouCionnUA
    @Dazzler21
    Admin, please advise idiots guide to posting a gif. 🤷‍♂️

• Options
    6 quid at Fulham in that delightful away end a bit steep. Wonder if it's card only in the Jimmy Seed 
    £ s d in that end 😉🍺
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Cash won’t go away, we’re not as inclusive as the Swedish, who have gone completely cashless, but more and more will be electronic payment, open banking will be a real killer of cards and direct debit, hence why all the payments companies are all over that channel 
    Another 2 years to go yet on that one I think.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Definitely tell my 77 year old Mum to take a flask then - and she and her friends do sit in the Curbs Stand 😊
    The Curbside, Ian.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    For a bit of balance I get paid in cash and use it everywhere, petrol stations, restaurants, coffee shops and all good although one of two do struggle for change. Took £1,500 in cash with me to Cornwall and spent the lot so cash is still alive & kicking.
    I, too, use cash.  It's particularly useful when paying after having eaten a meal when the place says they don't take cash, I say "That's all I've got", and they don't have enough change so they let me off the odd bits and pieces.  There are still a fair few places that don't take cards, and buying things at places like antique markets is best done with cash.
  • Options
    It makes sense as it should speed up service which is key when you have a small time window where you sell food. I go pretty much cashless now but you get the odd thing that trips you up, like parking pay machines when I took my mum to hospital that only have a cash option! 
  • Options
    What is cash 💸  I could not tell you the last time I held cash in my wallet. About time charlton come into the future 
  • Options
    My kids have had “cash cards” since they were about 14, the bank wouldn’t let them overdraw or use them online but worked for everything else and made life so much easier for me giving them pocket money or rewards. Not really sure that this penalises anyone as long as the readers/connection works as mentioned by others….
    It’s just progress right?
  • Options
    Cash - drugs....or buying a program
  • Options
    You might think it should make it quicker but no doubt it will take even longer.

somehow they will end putting the wrong numbers in the machine, charging all you cashless fools double, which they will then proceed to try to void and probably end up adding to the total on your card. Don't even think about asking for a receipt.

Also no doubt some arse in front of you in the queue will be using his 20% off which will single handedly take down the whole system so no one can get a drink.

Got a feeling hip flasks are gonna become even more popular down the valley. 
  • Options
    My lad will have his GoHenry card with him, so he’ll have an amount on there he can spend at the kiosks, shop etc and will pay with that. And yep, it’s got a gambling block on it too, so no sneaky first goal scorer bets