Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Valley goes cashless.

12346»

Comments

• Options
    The only reasons really for cash now that I can think of are:

1. Younger kids' pocket money. From the age of 12 they can have a bank account although there's a 12 euro annual charge for this.

2. Buying presents for the wife because otherwise she has an idea of what she's getting. In June I told her I'd booked a surprise online and not to look at the bank statement for a week before.

3. Lockers at the swimming pool.

4. Tossing the coin at kick-off.

I suppose if you're a homeless beggar, a cashless society will be a bummer.

What about you others? Is @Greenhithe buying his presents for another woman? Is he homeless even😉?
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    During a defeat at the Valley before Lockdown, I was allowing my mind to drift on an idea on using season ticket cards as a means of purchasing food at half time to avoid delays. In my daydreaming, I thought you could pre-book and pay for the food or drink you are going to want before the game online, then it should be ready for you and you just have you ticket read and it is handed over. The downside is you have to decide what you want well in advance but the upside is you shouldn't have to queue for 20 minutes to get it. I can't recall the game but it must have been a poor one. 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    What happens for those of us that do a whip?
    Go old school and make sure you're going for a smoke when it's your round.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    aliwibble said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Shame for the kids. Send them to get some chips and a drink with a fiver.
    Hardly going to give them
    my card.
    Ok for teenagers with card perhaps.
    Not that you should have to but you can get cards for kids (go Henry) if you wanted to.

you get to control the spending and can get notifications every time it’s used and for how much 
    Wonder if they'll be a minimum spend amount?
    if you can’t pay by cash then I can’t see them losing sales by putting a minimum spend on there 
    But that means if your kid just wants a bar of chocolate, they're going to be nowhere near the minimum spend value.
    They just need to see @Fanny Fanackapan

She told us once she takes a secret stash of chocolate fingers to games. :wink:

• Options
    If a venue doesn't stipulate that it's contactless until I go to pay, then I'm getting my wares for free. Will argue that I have no card(s) on me as wasn't informed when booking, or online, that cash wasn't accepted.

Has happened a few times and each time the venue has accepted responsibility. Next day they have signs up and have amended their website to let people know.
    Elfsborg has taught you well my friend. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    aliwibble said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Shame for the kids. Send them to get some chips and a drink with a fiver.
    Hardly going to give them
    my card.
    Ok for teenagers with card perhaps.
    Not that you should have to but you can get cards for kids (go Henry) if you wanted to.

you get to control the spending and can get notifications every time it’s used and for how much 
    Wonder if they'll be a minimum spend amount?
    if you can’t pay by cash then I can’t see them losing sales by putting a minimum spend on there 
    But that means if your kid just wants a bar of chocolate, they're going to be nowhere near the minimum spend value.
    They just need to see @Fanny Fanackapan

She told us once she takes a secret stash of chocolate fingers to games. :wink:

Gotta love a choccy digit 
  • Options
    I haven't got a bank account and only use cash.

I hate this world where you cant hide anything from anyone any more.

I get paid in cash for my "fun" money and have my entire salary put into my wife's account and never see it,

If they do away with cash i am fucked. 
    I’m not far off that @Greenhithe I haven’t got my own bank account, only a joint one.

I have got used to using contactless though.
    You have an account just to buy joints?  ;)
  • Options
    Amount of new joints I need @eaststandmike it might not be a bad idea...
  • Options
    Amount of new joints I need @eaststandmike it might not be a bad idea...
    Well I have been tagged on here as a drug dealer due to the amount of cash in hand I get so feel free to message me  B)
  • Options
    It'll all work itself out I'm sure and there will at some point be a meltdown when the wifi/machines go down.

The main issue for non card holders is drinks, you can bring everything else in food wise.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Remember when the season ticket cards came in? Long queues, confusion. By the third game, no problems. This wil be the same.
  • Options
    Remember when the season ticket cards came in? Long queues, confusion. By the third game, no problems. This wil be the same.

.that’s just brought up an image of queuing up behind people on Saturday as they wave their season tickets around instead of just tapping them to open the gate. 
  • Options
    I don't think there will be any confusion or long queues from game 1 tbh as it's just simply buying food/drink and tapping your card which we all do every day. The only way I can see it being confusing is if people turn up with cash and no cards on the 1st game because they havent realised or read on social media that it's gone card only.

The problems will come when the machines fail and no one can buy anything as they dont accept any other form of payment.
  • Options
    The only reasons really for cash now that I can think of are:

1. Younger kids' pocket money. From the age of 12 they can have a bank account although there's a 12 euro annual charge for this.

2. Buying presents for the wife because otherwise she has an idea of what she's getting. In June I told her I'd booked a surprise online and not to look at the bank statement for a week before.

3. Lockers at the swimming pool.

4. Tossing the coin at kick-off.

I suppose if you're a homeless beggar, a cashless society will be a bummer.

What about you others? Is @Greenhithe buying his presents for another woman? Is he homeless even😉?
    Mine is a combination of reasons including business collapse, laziness and apathy, dislike of anything past about 1988, hatred of I phones and Everything now society, and i just like having cash - it works and there's no trail of what you've done and when and never will be. Not that i'm up to no good particularly its just more comfortable for me.  
  • Options
    During a defeat at the Valley before Lockdown, I was allowing my mind to drift on an idea on using season ticket cards as a means of purchasing food at half time to avoid delays. In my daydreaming, I thought you could pre-book and pay for the food or drink you are going to want before the game online, then it should be ready for you and you just have you ticket read and it is handed over. The downside is you have to decide what you want well in advance but the upside is you shouldn't have to queue for 20 minutes to get it. I can't recall the game but it must have been a poor one. 
    Like at the theatre.
  • Options
    All catering inside The Valley the ticket office and other outlets will become cashless as from Saturday.
    The club shop went cashless on July 27th.
    Match programmes (on sale outside The Valley), will remain cash only.
    Alternatively, you can enjoy the relaxing atmosphere of the Vista Lounge, located in the West Stand, it's a lounge over two floors which includes padded seating on the halfway line, cash bar and host.
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/6113c2396bc2e/enjoy-a-matchday-hospitality-experience-at-the-valley

Seems there are different rules for the lounges, or is yet another error/miscommunication from the club.
  • Options
    clive said:
    All catering inside The Valley the ticket office and other outlets will become cashless as from Saturday.
    Alternatively, you can enjoy the relaxing atmosphere of the Vista Lounge, located in the West Stand, it's a lounge over two floors which includes padded seating on the halfway line, cash bar and host.
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/6113c2396bc2e/enjoy-a-matchday-hospitality-experience-at-the-valley

Seems there are different rules for the lounges, or is yet another error/miscommunication from the club.
    I suspect they mean a pay bar rather than purely cash accepted, but who knows!
  • Options
    clive said:

Mmmm…..that’s strange.
    Maybe The Vista Lounge is operated by a separate organisation?
  • Options
    "Our new Club 1905 which opened on Saturday to an excellent response popular, offering spectacular views of the Valley, a drink on arrival, three-course carvery meal and prime seating on the halfway line, you will also get to experience the man of the match presentation in both dining areas and meet some of Charlton Athletic former legends."

Paging the sub-editor... sentence in need of urgent treatment!
  • Options

The Valley goes ashless.

Finally the smoking 🚬 in the bogs stops.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just received an email from the club, inviting me to complete a short (University of Greenwich) survey on this issue

MK Dons seem a bit confused on this as well. Inside the stadium, if you want to buy food and drink, it's cashless

However, if you wanted to buy as ticket for the match on the day (as an away fan) you could only pay with cash.
  • Options
    Just received an email from the club, inviting me to complete a short (University of Greenwich) survey on this issue

MK Dons seem a bit confused on this as well. Inside the stadium, if you want to buy food and drink, it's cashless

However, if you wanted to buy as ticket for the match on the day (as an away fan) you could only pay with cash.
    Do I smell a rat? 🤫🤫🤫
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Hand held couldn’t read my chip yesterday after three attempts and renter ing the order . Looked like the device had to be reset, and worked on the second time of entering the card, her having to carry the monitor up to the counter and me then manually entering my PIN number. Weren’t particularly comfortable with having to enter my pin on a monitor held up with a crowd of others at the bar standing round me. 

Trying to pay probably took 3-4 mins. 
  • Options
    You came with a cheque? 

My experience was pretty good, glad to see they had gone with Square and the iPad terminals, flow was fast and effective 
  • Options
    Would have been quicker writing a cheque! 
  • Options
    However be interested (mainly from a nosey professional perspective) if they're paying the standard 1.75% a transaction