Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Valley goes cashless.

Comments

• Options
    Was in a coffee shop last week. Old boy in front of me had a wallet full of notes and tried paying for his coffee and cake but they didn’t have enough change in the till. Said he didn’t use plastic. The woman serving let him off paying. Thought about trying the same but I actually had a wallet with no notes in it. Havn’t had for months. 
    I went into a convenience store the other day to buy a bottle of water, and had to use cash as they had a minimum charge of £3 to use cards!
    I'm more out of touch with what's going on in England due to Covid19 entry restrictions but this doesn't surprise me.

In France the banks charge the shop for each payment so some small shops refuse card payments.

On a side note it's interesting that in England it's been named 'cashless' whereas in France it's 'without contact.' It's probably just because of what's less of a tongue twister in each language, but I find it amusing looking at new words for new technologies in each language.

Finally, do you all think that our older supporters will be ok with this?
  • Options
    The offer to purchase something is the offer of a contract between buyer and seller. The seller has the right to refuse to enter into that contract for any reason he chooses. 
    Errrrr, not quite. It couldn't be based on racist beliefs, and this policy could be a bit discriminatory to older folk, couldn't it?
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I never carry much cash, normally only have a tenner in my wallet at most, pay by card for everything over a fiver, maybe less sometimes, everywhere takes cards now so what’s the point.
    Agree, but what about your parents?

Ok, that's it, I've made my point. It's an interesting debate though - has this decision come too early?
  • Options
    The offer to purchase something is the offer of a contract between buyer and seller. The seller has the right to refuse to enter into that contract for any reason he chooses. 
    Errrrr, not quite. It couldn't be based on racist beliefs, and this policy could be a bit discriminatory to older folk, couldn't it?
    That’s true about discrimination but you would need to prove that. Refusing all cash transactions for everyone would be enough to prove there was no discriminatory element involved. 
  • Options
     Took £1,500 in cash with me to Cornwall and spent the lot so cash is still alive & kicking.
    You should have popped in to see me.

I could have helped you spend some of that down the pub. :wink:

• Options
    For a bit of balance I get paid in cash and use it everywhere, petrol stations, restaurants, coffee shops and all good although one of two do struggle for change. Took £1,500 in cash with me to Cornwall and spent the lot so cash is still alive & kicking.
    There is your answer @SoundAsa£
    I read an article today stating that the drug trade in Cornwall broke all time records, by £1500. 
    True. You should see the prices charged for paracetamol in Cornwall.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
     Took £1,500 in cash with me to Cornwall and spent the lot so cash is still alive & kicking.

You can get a 1 bed flat in Cornwall for £1500
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Oggy Red said:

You can get a 1 bed flat in Cornwall for £1500
    That'll be for 1 night Airbnb.

You haven't been to Cornwall recently, have you?

Half of London is on exodus to Cornwall ..... and buying up everything they can gazump.
    Raging house inflation, with properties being snapped up the same day they go on the market.

And often they are making over priced offers straight after watching the Estate Agent's video, without even visiting the property.

• Options
    Was in a coffee shop last week. Old boy in front of me had a wallet full of notes and tried paying for his coffee and cake but they didn’t have enough change in the till. Said he didn’t use plastic. The woman serving let him off paying. Thought about trying the same but I actually had a wallet with no notes in it. Havn’t had for months. 
    I went into a convenience store the other day to buy a bottle of water, and had to use cash as they had a minimum charge of £3 to use cards!
    I'm more out of touch with what's going on in England due to Covid19 entry restrictions but this doesn't surprise me.

In France the banks charge the shop for each payment so some small shops refuse card payments.

On a side note it's interesting that in England it's been named 'cashless' whereas in France it's 'without contact.' It's probably just because of what's less of a tongue twister in each language, but I find it amusing looking at new words for new technologies in each language.

Finally, do you all think that our older supporters will be ok with this?
    Yep the card company's do the same over here. The card machine I use charges 20p per transaction plus a percentage of the amount the customer has spent on top.

That's why I dont blame the small businesses for putting a minimum spend on a customer using card. Paying for a bottle of water on card eats into their profits.
  • Options
    I don’t know why they dont have a Charlton card based on the Oyster card. Fans just put x amount on the card and use that probably spend more that way so club would benefit. FC Roda had this 21 years ago when we played there in a friendly.
    I did mention this in the survey Charlton carried out recently. So maybe it will come.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Acab said:
    I don’t know why they dont have a Charlton card based on the Oyster card. Fans just put x amount on the card and use that probably spend more that way so club would benefit. FC Roda had this 21 years ago when we played there in a friendly.
    I did mention this in the survey Charlton carried out recently. So maybe it will come.
    The season tickets cards the club uses can have cash added to them, but I suspect it's a pretty expensive to manage and Team Card make a filthy profit on it
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    If a venue doesn't stipulate that it's contactless until I go to pay, then I'm getting my wares for free. Will argue that I have no card(s) on me as wasn't informed when booking, or online, that cash wasn't accepted.

Has happened a few times and each time the venue has accepted responsibility. Next day they have signs up and have amended their website to let people know.
    That’s because you have Millwall tattoos on your knuckles 
    Forehead, thank you very much.
    Roll up, roll up, see the Millwall supporter with four heads but not a brain between them.
  • Options
    I haven't got a bank account and only use cash.

I hate this world where you cant hide anything from anyone any more.

I get paid in cash for my "fun" money and have my entire salary put into my wife's account and never see it,

If they do away with cash i am fucked. 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Shame for the kids. Send them to get some chips and a drink with a fiver.
    Hardly going to give them
    my card.
    Ok for teenagers with card perhaps.
    Not that you should have to but you can get cards for kids (go Henry) if you wanted to.

you get to control the spending and can get notifications every time it’s used and for how much 
    Wonder if they'll be a minimum spend amount?
    if you can’t pay by cash then I can’t see them losing sales by putting a minimum spend on there 
    But that means if your kid just wants a bar of chocolate, they're going to be nowhere near the minimum spend value.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    my card.
    Not that you should have to but you can get cards for kids (go Henry) if you wanted to.

you get to control the spending and can get notifications every time it’s used and for how much 
    if you can’t pay by cash then I can’t see them losing sales by putting a minimum spend on there 
    But that means if your kid just wants a bar of chocolate, they're going to be nowhere near the minimum spend value.
    how much is a bar of chocolate in the valley ? £9?
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    my card.

They just need to see @Fanny Fanackapan

She told us once she takes a secret stash of chocolate fingers to games. :wink:

• Options
    WSSWSS
    edited August 2021

I get paid in cash for my "fun" money and have my entire salary put into my wife's account and never see it,

Or you could just ask to get put on your wife’s account and get a card.
  • Options
    Acab said:
    Remember seeing something like this when visiting Uncle Roland in his stadium in Belgium. 
    You could buy tokens to buy stuff at the bars.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Or you could just ask to get put on your wife’s account and get a card.
    I genuinely hadn't thought of that. But like the arrangement where she gets what she wants and i am left alone. I like cash. I like what it can do. I like its invisibility.
  • Options
    Acab said:
    Remember seeing something like this when visiting Uncle Roland in his stadium in Belgium. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Acab said:

didn't the other side have Meire with her tits out?
  • Options
    Acab said:

Don't think I'll be going back there any time soon, does the Museum want this ?
  • Options
    My Dad is over 80 and uses a contactless card with no trouble so stop writing off the oldies!

For the  Cash is King crew worried about buying their Bovril, get yourself a prepaid card for use at The Valley

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/prepaid-cards/
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    shine166 said:
    If only there was a drinks token, that could potentially be used incase of a fuck up with the machines ! 
    I know this was said with tongue in cheek but few years ago I was at a Feyenoord game, you have to buy literal drinks tokens from a tent then hand them over when you get to the bar. Whole system worked really well, short queue to exchange money for the tokens but once that's done very short time queuing for drinks.
    Went to a pub in Prague that did the same at night to limit the bar queue. Was a bit strange as you had to choose the number of drinks you wanted unless you fancied queuing twice for a drink. Suppose it could go either way in terms of profit, for us they made more money as we bought three each but the beer was disgusting, we would have left after 1 if we didn't have the tokens. 
  • Options
    What happens for those of us that do a whip?
  • Options
    I am making an real effort to spend cash when I can now. Realised I hadn’t been for 18 months 
  • Options

I’m not far off that @Greenhithe I haven’t got my own bank account, only a joint one.

I have got used to using contactless though.