Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Has your enthusiasm for football changed in the last 18 months?

So with the season starting again this weekend and proper crowds back for the first time since Covid emerged, has the break of the last 18 months impacted your enthusiasm for football in any way?

Has your enthusiasm for football changed in the last 18 months? 233 votes

Increased
21% 50 votes
Unchanged
37% 88 votes
Decreased
40% 95 votes

Comments

• Have always loved it but feel more enthused about it now and can't wait to get back to going to games.  Really missed it and loved the Euros.

Just wished I supported a better club!
  • Decrease for me.
    Was looking at MK Don's away thinking do I really want to be getting in at 1am for the midweek game.
    Family stuff for Oxford away.
    And since moving out in the sticks to West Wickham it will take me an hour to get home on the train.
    A question though do you need to be up for it.?
    Our championship season I was determined to do nearly all the aways and I only missed 4.

• Replace 'football' with 'life'.

What difference would it make?
  • Wouldnt say my enthusiasm for Football has decreased

I feel spoilt in the sense I've been able to see so many Charlton and Euro 2020 games this last year and a half

My biggest concern is whether I'll get that kick of going to the Valley on a Saturday afternoon

Or whether I can be bothered anymore as have gotten used to not being there

I guess I'll find out on Saturday - Although at present I am looking forward to seeing those around me again.
  • Initially when lockdown started it decreased to the point where football was completely off the radar and I was fine with that, but once it got going again so did I and having not been able to go to football which is a big part of my identity I'm determined to go to more away games than ever, as many as I can this season rather than the 6 or so a season I usually get to.
  • 1st time in a few years I've bought a st as my group of mates that we would regularly do 15/16 away games a season are starting to have kids etc so we will do home games mainly now and picks 4/5 aways that we haven't done and prioritise them. 

will be strange to be in a busy pub - which i haven't been apart from the odd occasion in 18 months. 

will be good to get back down the valley although i did go to a couple of the lockdown games but they just weren't the same. 
  • Unchanged for me.
  • Unchanged for me too 
  • I voted unchanged, as that reflects my attitude towards football in general

On the other hand, having got used to watching games from home, I'm not looking forward to the rest of the matchday experience though, crowded trains, tubes and buses, waiting at Charlton station at 9:45pm in the rain for a train after evening games...

Also on the negative side, unlike the final season before lockdown in the Championship, the away games are less enticing, with some overfamiliar opponents...
  • The problems we have had since March 2020 have made me realise what I took for granted, and when it was taken away from me, how much it mattered to me
  • Sponsored links:

• Can we get a "Where do you think we'll finish" poll as well? Don't know how to make them.
  • My enthusiasm has been waning for some seasons and Covid has none nothing to reverse that.
  • Jac_52 said:
    Can we get a "Where do you think we'll finish" poll as well? Don't know how to make them.
    Tomorrow @Jac_52
  • Saying goodbye/fcuk off to Roland, the band of Horribles and seeing our new owner and manager come in while away from it all in person has given me a right boost and I am as excited about Saturday as I was a teenager in the old first division tier. CORGA!
  • It's the finances that I dislike about the game, it's just 'all about the money imo' ,without friendships made over the years I would be following my local none league side by now. Charlton forever but maybe from a distance. 
  • not looked forward to a season opener as much as this one for quite a while - a mixture of a belief in ts and adkins, the curbs stand and the fact i haven't been to the valley for so long 
  • DOUCHER said:
    not looked forward to a season opener as much as this one for quite a while - a mixture of a belief in ts and adkins, the curbs stand and the fact i haven't been to the valley for so long 
    Let's be fair though Douch.
    After telling everyone on here your not a proper supporter if you dont get a season ticket.
    You can't really say its decreased.
  • My enthusiasm has been waning for some seasons and Covid has none nothing to reverse that.
    Exactly the same for me. 

Duchatalet all but destroyed it and COVID has almost finished it off. 

Going to Wigan at the Valley this month, first game in too long.

I was a season ticket holder for 5 years, just can't see myself getting the love back for it that I once had. 
  • I voted 'unchanged', but already I'm wondering if I clicked the wrong option. As I was reading through this thread I found I agreed more with the less enthusiastic posts. I got out of the habit of going because of my boycott. Then, just as I started going back it was all snatched away again. I really enjoyed watching the games at home and liked being at home the second they finished. My drive to Charlton used to be water off a ducks back, but after a year of going practically nowhere, it suddenly seems like a mission. Also, the football season should follow the summer but we've not had a bloody summer! It's a real shame. I think that after everything TS has done to rescue the club and with my first season ticket for several years, I all ought to be well enthusiastic, but actually I can't remember feeling less so.
  • Sponsored links:

• clb74 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    not looked forward to a season opener as much as this one for quite a while - a mixture of a belief in ts and adkins, the curbs stand and the fact i haven't been to the valley for so long 
    Let's be fair though Douch.
    After telling everyone on here your not a proper supporter if you dont get a season ticket.
    You can't really say its decreased.
    i've had nearly 40 years of season tickets but the enthusiasm before the start of the season has varied a lot - the first game back in the top flight after the mendonca final being probably the most enthustiastic and wasn't a let down that's for sure - the year afeter being relegated under duchatalet was probably the least enthusiastic 
  • Football in general decreased. Charlton is Charlton and part of me so unchanged.

That said various circumstances mean I will not be attending often but following from a distance.
  • edited August 2021
    Replace 'football' with 'life'.

What difference would it 

• Has your enthusiasm for charlton life changed in the last 18 months?

• Has your enthusiasm for charlton life changed in the last 18 months?

You need a survey on that mate.
  • Massively decreased - I was fed up watching us last season, and it’s still inside me.  Can’t work out why?  I like Adkins, I think he’s a good manager and some of the players we have are decent, but I just can’t get a feeling of negativity out of me.  

It’s the slightest thing.  I was getting worked up about the rose tinted punditry on Valley Pass last season, worked up about resigning Pearce, JFC etc - bloody odd.  Don’t know if everything Covid has just sapped me in some way, but I can’t quite catch the passion I had when we had Bowyer’s promotion season and pretty much all the championship season.  

I am sure it will come back and I really hope it does.  I still have a season ticket, I’ll still go to pretty much every home game, the odd away, but just feels like a haze at the moment.  very low when it comes to all things Charlton 
  • Jac_52 said:
    Can we get a "Where do you think we'll finish" poll as well? Don't know how to make them.
    Tomorrow @Jac_52

Nice one
  • edited August 2021
    LenGlover said:
    Football in general decreased. Charlton is Charlton and part of me so unchanged.

That said various circumstances mean I will not be attending often but following from a distance.
    I think I could have just as readily written that. I’m still impassioned by Charlton but now I can’t attend regularly I will be following from a distance. Football in general now bores me if I’m honest.
  • My weekends consisted of watching charlton on Saturday and playing on a Sunday.

Covid put a hold on that then i got distant from football in general. 

Didn't get a season ticket this year as the missus when back from maternity works on Saturday so I will look after little man. Will pick and choose my games this year. 

Unfortunately I was prepped to still continue playing for one more year as I have double ankle surgery booked for next year, thought I give it one good go again this year. 

And then 6 minutes into the 1st preason game, I get my studs caught in the turf during a challenge gave away a penalty, but in turn got a small fracture in my knee cap and a torn MCL, and now after building myself up football wise, I'm completely disillusioned with it. 

Can't even go watch this Saturday because I'm worried about causing my damage to my knee.