Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Has your enthusiasm for football changed in the last 18 months?

Comments

• Options
    I voted "unchanged" but for some unknown reason, I don't feel hugely excited with Saturday fast approaching.

I SO hope that this changes for the better once we're on our way to SE7 & that , if we're fortunate, entering Crossbars once again & seeing all those familiar faces will re-ignite that sadly flagging Tingle....

A good performance from the lads , the noise , the atmosphere of a home game - that's what we've missed for so long. 

But being amongst "our lot" once again is just as important. 

Put all those ingredients into the blender and voila ! 

The recipe for a very happy, if emotional Fanny. 
  • Options
    Increased for me. I can’t not wait for Saturday. Just to hear “This is the valley” and feel goosebumps again
  • Options
    Decreased for me.

I have been losing interest in football in general for a while now due to the money, the diving, the dodgy owners, whining on social media etc and Covid has cemented that. I have been fortunate to pursue a couple of hobbies during lockdown that I have been meaning to do for a while now and the thought of giving some of these up to commit 25% of my weekend to football is not an option I am easy with.

I will be attending The Valley this season however I have not bought a season ticket.   
  • Options
    play every wednesday at goals and play for a vets team on saturday afternoons although not in a league so not every week - we do enter cups so i had to miss the odd charlton game but generally we arrange friendlies and as a lot of the team are charlton fans we would arrange them for non charlton home game days - however, we have now created a mini league of about 8 teams who are at our sort of level and age so should be able to arrange them all to not clash with charlton - both my boys still play so will be watching them as well so all in all i'm still well into football although don't bother watching match of the day often and half the prem and european matches as i've definitely lost interest over the years in all that
  • Options
    My weekends consisted of watching charlton on Saturday and playing on a Sunday.

Covid put a hold on that then i got distant from football in general. 

Didn't get a season ticket this year as the missus when back from maternity works on Saturday so I will look after little man. Will pick and choose my games this year. 

Unfortunately I was prepped to still continue playing for one more year as I have double ankle surgery booked for next year, thought I give it one good go again this year. 

And then 6 minutes into the 1st preason game, I get my studs caught in the turf during a challenge gave away a penalty, but in turn got a small fracture in my knee cap and a torn MCL, and now after building myself up football wise, I'm completely disillusioned with it. 

Can't even go watch this Saturday because I'm worried about causing my damage to my knee.
    my sympathies - being injured is a nuisance 
  • Options
    Increased, I've been able to watch more games than ever before as I've been working less and more games have been on TV or streaming, to the point where I happily sat and watched the Champions League for the first time in about 7 years
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    To be honest, my enthusiasm is linked to Charlton and I am pissed off how many recent years we have been in the shite that is League One. Which is not Sandgaard's fault I might add. I am still pissed off how we got relegated from the Championship and still pissed off how we couldn't get into the play offs with a squad capable of doing that last season. I am pissed off how Charlton can actually play well but seem to have an unequalled capacity to get onto the back foot and become rubbbish in the same game. Or win 6-0 away and then lose at home to a superior Crewe a few days later. There, got that off my chest. A good win on Saturday and I'll start getting more enthusiastic but we all know we haven't got enough goals in the team so a low scoring draw or narrow defeat is on the cards. Rant over. :)
  • Options
    Its bought my enthusiasm back, I'm itching to get back to the Valley and see my friends, see Albie playing as a number 10 greatly excites me and I'm engaged again with whonis playing for us, who the youngsters are coming through as opposed to the ritalin-like feeling I got when captain shitarse was the owner and the only emotion I had was unabated anger towards that rodent 

You need a hard heart not to have been taken in by the England squad of the last 2 tournaments and how they conduct themselves not to mention how successful they have been. I'm however not looking forward to dealing with people again, dickheads mainly, dickheads who push in at the bar testing my goodwill and asking for a fight, dickheads in my personal space itching for a row and a right hander, dickheads on the train full stop, everyone in a train is a dickhead, dickhead Greenwich Council sending their parking gestapo out preventing me from driving to games. 

But one thing the streamed games have given me back is my barely hidden inner football geek to really watch games and see and appreciate the opposition. Seriously some of the players in this league, mainly the attacking ones have massive future careers. Defenders much less so. Managers too, its so rare now to see us come up against a side unprepared or tactically naive. The standard of coach in this country I'm pleased to see is dramatically improving and able to watch as a neutral as Neil Critchley completely managed and coached his side out of the division from a very difficult start to the season, that Blackpool side that ran us ragged at home produced one of the most thorough displays against a not awful charlton side. 

Bryan Barry-Murphy, Ryan Lowe, Joey Barton (although he definitely makes sides in his own rank image), John Coleman, Leam Richardson, Paul Warne, our own Nigel Adkins, Paul Cook, the Cowley brothers. All very capable managers and coaches operating at this level and its reflected in the fact most sides at least attempt to get the ball down and play the game 
  • Options
    Unchanged to slightly increased. I've forked out the 192 quid for the season pass to watch our games, previously Ive just paid game by game when the inclination is there.

Early season midnight kick offs aren't a problem, its the post October games and a 2 am kick off which will be the telling time for me (and the 2.30am this coming Saturday).

Midweek games not too bad as I'll just get up early and go back to bed if Im tired.

Its now ten years since I left home to come here and the passion is still alive and kicking.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I'm buzzing for the start of OUR season, especially as I'll be back in the country for the first time in nine years and back to The Valley.

My general interest in football has waned. I used to watch the Prem, do fantasy football league, listen to football podcasts, etc... I can't be bothered now. I think the game has become very same-y and quite boring. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Will go to a few games this season …. But tbh my two year old granddaughter is the love of my life and Mrs Holyjo and I have her for 24 hours most weekends.

This coupled with a love for MTB and fishing I am juggling too many interests and loves. Will change in three years or so when I semi retire and will do a whole season of every game

Always been an ambition 
  • Options
    Decreased, I loved the Boyer era it felt like real football and real Charlton. His final year was of course a nightmare for all concerned, but the two years prior were some of the best for me.

I’ve moved away from se London recently and don’t feel the pull anything like I used to a year or so ago. Perhaps it’s temporary and due to saturation live web coverage.

Have to say I’m not all that enthused with the new ownership, sure it’s better than crooks, and dare I say it better than the Belgian twat, in style at least - but we don’t own the ground, and it’s still very early days for me.
  • Options
    Redo the poll if we win on Saturday, and the results would be quite different.
  • Options
    A lot will depend on how this team gel and momentum. A good early start and I'll be bang into it.
    Lose a few at the begining and it will all be a bit meh for me.

Absolutely nothing to get enthused about with the transfer dealings so far.
  • Options
    20-30% decrease .. 
  • Options
    I put increased.
    I fell out of love with football many years ago, apart from my love for our club. My general feelings on football haven't changed but 18 months without going to a game, new owner after our nightmare have lead to me being more excited about tomorrow's game than at any game since the play-off final.
    Back home, large crowd, hope for the season - I'm buzzing.
  • Options
    I went to the Fulham pre season game.

For those of you who are feeling a bit down about it all, trust me, when you hear/feel that familiar noise of Charlton fans singing in unison - it brings it all back. 
  • Options
    The Euros rejuvenated my love of football temporarily but it’s just not the same anymore. Modern football fans and money are killing it for me. 
  • Options
    I voted decreased because sadly it has, but I still get a lovely tingle inside me like this morning when DubaiCAFC says we are getting a loan player in today. So all is not lost for me. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Increased for me. Watching the games online became a ritual for my daughter and me, we're both looking forward to Saturday and it's been one of the things getting her through the last 18 months.  Plus we had a good Euros.

I expect that I will get a lot more engaged with the team once we've seen them in real life. Looking forward particularly to DJ, Stockley and Morgan's progress. 

• Options
    Initially with streams and without the crowds etc, I really lost my emotional connection to football. with football.

But watching the Euro's with the crowds in I am buzzing to get back tomorrow !
  • Options
    Decreased for me. Have abandoned my Sky subscription so won’t be in the habit of just watching a game cos it’s on. In reality I haven’t lasted more than 15 minutes watching a premier league game for some years without resorting to fiddling on my phone. It’ll be MOTD for me and a Now TV day pass whenever Charlton are on 
  • Options
    I've got a season ticket, not sure how often i'll use it. Shame.
  • Options
    Decreased, but it's summer sport season so I'm sure I'll come around.
  • Options
    Increased but the previous 18 months to that it had dropped to the lowest point I've ever had. Obviously the stuff going on with our club didn't help but just a general apathy towards anything going on in football as a whole. But with TS coming in, the infectiousness of NA's enthusiasm, the realisation/confirmation that fans are a huge part of football both in terms of watching live games and the anger at the super league debacle, the joy around the national side this summer has all helped to bring back a lot of enthusiasm. I doubt I'll ever be as into football as I was in my younger says but I think that's similar for most as they get older.
  • Options
    Less enthused as before, mainly as changes in personal life and also this team last year was hugely boring to watch and we haven't really signed anyone of note which will change that. 
  • Options
    What I'll say as well, the performance, quality or league position of Charlton doesn't affect my passion for us. All I and I reckon most of us expect is for whoever is playing for us to be competitive in whatever division we are in. I'm pretty good at managing my own expectation levels and whilst I think we are playing in a league below ourselves thats down to the previous ownership ripping the arse and soul from the club (arsesoul?) and I made my mind up very early on about the Belgian pant sniffer and his intentions, he told us in that first interview in fairness, and that ruined Charlton for me, it really isn't about results and even when we've been relegated at times previous I can see our problem is normally a lack of quality, too much bad luck rather than guts and most of those players shitarse and Miere bought in had no arsehole whatsoever and that properly killed football for me, I lost interest in other teams players, who we might be after from the lower levels, who would be playing for us, everything. 

Bowyer coming in bought some of that back but all the while we were owned by that chimp I couldn't break the boycott. Last season was good, ultimately having the bunch of cretins in charge for as long as we did killed any realistic chance of getting out of the division but that hope again of having someone take a chance on us who seems the right type of mental, who seems to be going about the rebuild the right way which as frustrating as some are finding that, it is absolutely the right way to rebuild not to launch good money after bad at the squad 

I'm excited, dont get me wrong by mid December when we have 13 first team players all out and a load of kids and loanees starting games I might not be so enthused to travel up to the games but we will see 
  • Options
    Unchanged. Still love it. Love Charlton. Going into my eleventh season as a ST holder. The business side can be depressing but once kick-off comes, I'm in. 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Its bought my enthusiasm back, I'm itching to get back to the Valley and see my friends, see Albie playing as a number 10 greatly excites me and I'm engaged again with whonis playing for us, who the youngsters are coming through as opposed to the ritalin-like feeling I got when captain shitarse was the owner and the only emotion I had was unabated anger towards that rodent 

You need a hard heart not to have been taken in by the England squad of the last 2 tournaments and how they conduct themselves not to mention how successful they have been. I'm however not looking forward to dealing with people again, dickheads mainly, dickheads who push in at the bar testing my goodwill and asking for a fight, dickheads in my personal space itching for a row and a right hander, dickheads on the train full stop, everyone in a train is a dickhead, dickhead Greenwich Council sending their parking gestapo out preventing me from driving to games. 

But one thing the streamed games have given me back is my barely hidden inner football geek to really watch games and see and appreciate the opposition. Seriously some of the players in this league, mainly the attacking ones have massive future careers. Defenders much less so. Managers too, its so rare now to see us come up against a side unprepared or tactically naive. The standard of coach in this country I'm pleased to see is dramatically improving and able to watch as a neutral as Neil Critchley completely managed and coached his side out of the division from a very difficult start to the season, that Blackpool side that ran us ragged at home produced one of the most thorough displays against a not awful charlton side. 

Bryan Barry-Murphy, Ryan Lowe, Joey Barton (although he definitely makes sides in his own rank image), John Coleman, Leam Richardson, Paul Warne, our own Nigel Adkins, Paul Cook, the Cowley brothers. All very capable managers and coaches operating at this level and its reflected in the fact most sides at least attempt to get the ball down and play the game 
    Carter the unstoppable dickhead rant machine. Brilliant. I agree. Everyone's acting like one these days.