Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlie Kirk (p67 - released by Crewe)

Comments

• Options
    Chunes said:
    seth plum said:
    Chunes said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    Sent him back to us so they can re negotiate buying him for a cheaper price. 

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/blackpool-still-interested-in-summer-deal-for-charlton-athletic-winger/
    Crewe took our pants down in spectacular fashion on CK
    Expectations of getting a significant 6 figure fee for that one-paced lightweight are cloud cuckoo land.

Our experience with DJ and CK suggests there's quite the gulf between midtable 4th and midtable 3rd division quality 
    He was never rubbish for an us, he just wasn't good either. And yet a Championship club is interesting in buying him so clearly we didn't see his best. 
    I’m afraid I disagree in terms of Kirk when playing for us.
    It was like playing with ten men, and he occupied a significant position.
    The other players understandably saw him as an outlet, or at least as part of any progressive play we tried to construct, but he never stepped up. I think his waste of space play was a liability during matches.
    I honestly can’t recall in my minds eye anything good he ever did at Charlton, I have better memories of Christophe Lepoint.
    I am sure he is a good guy, and I am sorry he lost his dad, but it may be best and civilised all round if he moved on.
    I said he wasn't rubbish and I stand by that. I'd define 'rubbish' as someone misplacing passes, losing possession easily, hiding, etc. (ala Alex Gilbey). Kirk was pretty tidy, although didn't offer much attacking threat. There were no gasps of frustration going round when he was on the pitch.
    There were from me. He could not shoot, beat a man or cross. Mostly passed back when the ball was passed to him, but I concede he did do that tidily.
  • Options
    We've had more surprising turnarounds in a player's fortunes than Kirk's would be, especially given the circumstances Golfie outlined 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    jams said:
    We've had more surprising turnarounds in a player's fortunes than Kirk's would be, especially given the circumstances Golfie outlined 
    100%. Nobody played well under Adkins.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    seth plum said:
    Chunes said:
    Billy_Mix said:

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/blackpool-still-interested-in-summer-deal-for-charlton-athletic-winger/
    Expectations of getting a significant 6 figure fee for that one-paced lightweight are cloud cuckoo land.

Our experience with DJ and CK suggests there's quite the gulf between midtable 4th and midtable 3rd division quality 
    He was never rubbish for an us, he just wasn't good either. And yet a Championship club is interesting in buying him so clearly we didn't see his best. 
    The other players understandably saw him as an outlet, or at least as part of any progressive play we tried to construct, but he never stepped up. I think his waste of space play was a liability during matches.
    I honestly can’t recall in my minds eye anything good he ever did at Charlton, I have better memories of Christophe Lepoint.
    I am sure he is a good guy, and I am sorry he lost his dad, but it may be best and civilised all round if he moved on.
    I said he wasn't rubbish and I stand by that. I'd define 'rubbish' as someone misplacing passes, losing possession easily, hiding, etc. (ala Alex Gilbey). Kirk was pretty tidy, although didn't offer much attacking threat. There were no gasps of frustration going round when he was on the pitch.
    I can safely say he was one of the worst pieces of ‘rubbish’ business we have done in my 64 years of support.

Plenty worse that's for sure, Abbott to name one..
    Loads more......loads, loads more.

Kirk joined us during one of our worst footballing periods ever, sinking to 2nd bottom at one stage. At the same time he has just lost his father & moved hundreds of miles away from his family. Then a new manager took over who wanted to play players out of position (defenders & wingers as wing backs)  - a formation that doesn't suit Kirk. 

Any wonder why he might not have been playing as well as he could. I think it would he foolish to sell him when we havent really given him a chance, in a settled team playing in his favoured position. 

Christ, we gave players like Ben Reeves &  Josh Parker more time than Kirk had.
    I tend to agree. Many made similar assumptions about Nabby Sarr first time around. 

We really haven’t seen what Kirk can or cannot do. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    seth plum said:
    Chunes said:
    Billy_Mix said:

I can safely say he was one of the worst pieces of ‘rubbish’ business we have done in my 64 years of support.

Kirk joined us during one of our worst footballing periods ever, sinking to 2nd bottom at one stage. At the same time he has just lost his father & moved hundreds of miles away from his family. Then a new manager took over who wanted to play players out of position (defenders & wingers as wing backs)  - a formation that doesn't suit Kirk. 

Any wonder why he might not have been playing as well as he could. I think it would he foolish to sell him when we havent really given him a chance, in a settled team playing in his favoured position. 

I tend to agree. Many made similar assumptions about Nabby Sarr first time around. 

We really haven’t seen what Kirk can or cannot do. 
    Nor has anyone else since he left Crewe!
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    seth plum said:
    Chunes said:
    Billy_Mix said:

He didn’t really want to be here in the first place ...
    What makes you think he would want to return?

Return   ???
    He's our player. Under contract for another 4 years. Before we go round trying to replace him it might be a good idea to see what he can do after a full pre-season. We already need to replace around 8-10 bodies in any case - why add to that list.

As a pp above pointed out, Sarr was not universally liked at the start & loaned out before we really got a good look at him. He returned a different player. 5 year contract there too. 
  • Options
    I'd love to see Kirk come good , still think it's too soon to just give up on him and shift him on. Golfie is bang on the money , give him preseason under the new manager and let's see what he can produce. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    seth plum said:
    Chunes said:
    Billy_Mix said:

You can't misplace passes if you're never on the ball! I'm not saying he was bad per se, but it was definitely a case of wrong club at the wrong time. He might not be challenging Ronnie Schwartz for the title of Sandgaard's Most Disappointing Signing but he's one of an unhealthily large number of players in contention for second place. He just wasn't able to create chances on his own and there was no-one around to give him the support he needed. If we go spending this summer and buy an absolute beast of a ball winner who can keep gifting him possession, he might be alright. Keep things as they are and and it could well be another painful season for him, in which case I'd rather not have him back. 
  • Options
    Some players do turn it around after a poor first season. I remember Johnny Robinson was pants in his first year with us but he did alright in the end.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    seth plum said:
    Chunes said:
    Billy_Mix said:

He didn’t really want to be here in the first place….and never settled, for whatever reason/reasons.
    What makes you think he would want to return?
    I’d be very surprised to say the least.
    If he didn't want to be here, why did he sign the contract 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Written off after 8 league games... Might not have been great, but needs to be given a bit of time, maybe a whole pre-season might see a different player.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    timken said:
    The sale of (or retention of)charlie kirk could be the most important transfer business we do in terms of releasing funds or acquiring (and using appropriately)a quality footballer.Is he a young paddy powel.i.e a winger with no pace but effective if used right
    Hopefully big sell on fees for Gomez and Pope early in the window are the most important deals of the window.
    Has anybody at the club made any comment that some or all of such funds will be ploughed back into recruitment?
    Isn't it possible TS will usecthe money to offset losses?
    How can they make a statement about funds we haven't got and may never get.

And even if  we get some extra money it would be foolish to tell other clubs and agent that we are planning to spend £x of on players 
    I didn't use the term "statement", which might imply some sort of public pronouncement.
    I was really wondering aloud if some more informal comment had been heard by somebody in the know.
    Anyway, just semantics I guess.
    In any case I think it would be collosully naive to think that the wider football world would not be fully aware of any such financial windfall we might receive and the potential implications on our player spend
  • Options
    There was no pressure on Charlie Kirk at Crewe; no great expectations. 
    At Charlton, the fans, manager, Owner expected Charlton to be in the top 6 last season. Thomas Sandgaard top 2.

You can't quantify how coming to London affected Charlie after his Dad passed away,  some sports professional haven't had adverse results or a dip in their form when losing a parent or sibling even though they feel bereft when not in action. 

If you can't see that a midfielder of JFC, Fraser, and Kirk would struggle to win the ball you haven't been watching very carefully even with our POTY just behind them.

Agree give Charlie Kirk a pre season with the new manager and new players But if he is unsettled best for both parties if Charlie moves on as it's no shame as it happens at every club.
  • Options
    There was no pressure on Charlie Kirk at Crewe; no great expectations
    At Charlton, the fans, manager, Owner expected Charlton to be in the top 6 last season. Thomas Sandgaard top 2.

You can't quantify how coming to London affected Charlie after his Dad passed away,  some sports professional haven't had adverse results or a dip in their form when losing a parent or sibling even though they feel bereft when not in action. 

If you can't see that a midfielder of JFC, Fraser, and Kirk would struggle to win the ball you haven't been watching very carefully even with our POTY just behind them.

Agree give Charlie Kirk a pre season with the new manager and new players But if he is unsettled best for both parties if Charlie moves on as it's no shame as it happens at every club.
    I think you might be thinking of Charlie Dickens

It's really a tale of two cities; apologies I mean a City London and a railway town like Crewe. Charlton has become a bleak House and of course we want some more decent players and we can't rely on picking a pocket or two to get them. The Promotion at Wembley was the best of times but the relegation was the worst of times.There are very few moments in a man’s existence when he experiences so much ludicrous distress, or meets with so little charitable commiseration, as when he is talking about his football team.

If Thomas Sandgaard can let the new guy run the team with freedom it would be a far, far better thing than he has ever done before.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's the kind of player that will do well/fine in a decent football team. We always need our flair/attacking players to do absolutely everything and about 2 people's job. If not, they don't ever seem to "cut it".
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Kirk at Lincoln was genuinely shocking, one of the most inept displays I've ever seen from a footballer. He was out of position for most of the game, to be slightly fair to him, but he looked like he couldn't play football let alone the position. The problems have been to some degree in his head I think - but he'll clearly need a lot of faith and support to thrive, as well as close to no defensive remit 
    Just checked the lineup for that day. Josh Davison and Elliot Lee up top, Harry Arter and Gilbey in the middle, Papa Souare behind at left back, Gunter over on the right... How did we not go up this year?
    My boys first away game.  His second was v Ipswich !
    Your real first name is Jonah, innit?
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Kirk at Lincoln was genuinely shocking, one of the most inept displays I've ever seen from a footballer. He was out of position for most of the game, to be slightly fair to him, but he looked like he couldn't play football let alone the position. The problems have been to some degree in his head I think - but he'll clearly need a lot of faith and support to thrive, as well as close to no defensive remit 
    He wasn't the only one. I thought Famewo was too good for League 1 before that game, soon changed my mind...
  • Options
    The bloke didn't play one full game in his natural position and we are all writing him off. He went on loan to club in the division above and they are keen to sign him permanently - tells you quite a bit.

Hopefully under a new manager in a different formation we can see some of the CK from his Crewe spell.
    For balance, most Blackpool fans seemingly don’t rate him. Looking at their Twitter and forums, it’s the same criticism we saw in his time here: can’t dribble, can’t beat a man, too lightweight, always cuts in, etc. 

If he goes it will be because ex-Crewe man Neil Critchley likes him and can get him for a lot cheaper than the £500,000 initially agreed. 
  • Options
    The bloke didn't play one full game in his natural position and we are all writing him off. He went on loan to club in the division above and they are keen to sign him permanently - tells you quite a bit.

Hopefully under a new manager in a different formation we can see some of the CK from his Crewe spell.
    For balance, most Blackpool fans seemingly don’t rate him. Looking at their Twitter and forums, it’s the same criticism we saw in his time here: can’t dribble, can’t beat a man, too lightweight, always cuts in, etc. 

If he goes it will be because ex-Crewe man Neil Critchley likes him and can get him for a lot cheaper than the £500,000 initially agreed. 
    I just looked at Twitter and the comments were 80% positive?
  • Options
    I just don't see where he gets in.  We do not have the players to play in a 433 and that's the only system in which he can play.  
  • Options
    All I can remember of him was how well he played for Crewe against us before he was transferred. The rest is totally forgettable.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    I just don't see where he gets in.  We do not have the players to play in a 433 and that's the only system in which he can play.  
    What formation do we have the players for?
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    wmcf123 said:
    What formation do we have the players for?
    At the moment, something without full backs