Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlie Kirk (p67 - released by Crewe)

Comments

• Options
    I'm really struggling to understand why people think our bargaining position is weak. He has multiple years under contract with us, it's not like its January and his contract runs out in summer or anything - if Blackpool want to renege on the option to buy at the price agreed then fuck em, see if the new manager fancies him, if not, loan him out for another year and basically tell him, if you want a move here's your chance to earn it. If he does well enough he could even up his stock with a decent season under his belt even if not necessarily with us.

I don't really buy into the whole "homesick for the north" thing either - are people telling me if Chelsea or Spurs came in for him he'd turn it down because of home sickness? Not on your nelly.. 

Agreed, he obviously wouldn't. But he could still be homesick and only making the move because of money and/or the opportunity to give the Prem a whirl. So for me whether he'd make that move is irrelevant because if it's the choice to go back nearer home in the League above or stay in London with us it's a no brainer. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    bobmunro said:
    From a Crewe fan at work:

Thought he was the new Ronaldo at the beginning of the last season, then his partner on the left broke his leg and the overlapping fullback was transferred to Blackburn.  Kirk didn’t really shine after this. 

And half the fans will hate him as he hates challenging for the ball, he will lose (not even contest) 70/30 balls in his favour.

I still loved him though

The first 100 posts when Charlie Kirk signed were bordering on the orgasmic. Found this from Bob Munro on Page 3 ( not that page 3!)

The words of the Crewe fan were prescient.
  • Options
    I'm really struggling to understand why people think our bargaining position is weak. He has multiple years under contract with us, it's not like its January and his contract runs out in summer or anything - if Blackpool want to renege on the option to buy at the price agreed then fuck em, see if the new manager fancies him, if not, loan him out for another year and basically tell him, if you want a move here's your chance to earn it. If he does well enough he could even up his stock with a decent season under his belt even if not necessarily with us.

I don't really buy into the whole "homesick for the north" thing either - are people telling me if Chelsea or Spurs came in for him he'd turn it down because of home sickness? Not on your nelly.. 

Our position is weakened cos if CK's not a firm first XI starter, he's a liability for not insignificant wages for years to come and a spot used up in the squad limit. We'll need him off the books if he ain't gonna hold a place on merit.  "oh we'll just loan him out..." don't work either, the player still has to agree to sign elsewhere, we don't get to choose.
    We overpaid, he underperformed but he'll get his salary come what may, none of which will be missed by his agent or any prospective employer.
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:

Our position is weakened cos if CK's not a firm first XI starter, he's a liability for not insignificant wages for years to come and a spot used up in the squad limit. We'll need him off the books if he ain't gonna hold a place on merit.  "oh we'll just loan him out..." don't work either, the player still has to agree to sign elsewhere, we don't get to choose.
    We overpaid, he underperformed but he'll get his salary come what may, none of which will be missed by his agent or any prospective employer.
    I agree but Kirk isn't going to want to sit around and do nothing either. Players get forgotten about quickly and spending a year not playing isn't going to do much for his career. If there's an offer on the table closer to home I think he'd take it, whether it's on loan or permanent. Of course if it's permanent then the wages he's on does come into the equation, with a loan we could pay a small percentage of it. Personally, if he's not going to play I'd prefer we got some kind of fee so it can be reinvested. 
  • Options
    this, posted on 'The 72' surely sums up the situation ..

'Whoever comes in as the new management at The Valley will surely want to take a look at the 24-year-old winger though.

But, with Blackpool currently not in a position to buy Kirk permanently, we could see his situation stretch on over the summer'.

• Options
    Tell them to bog off and try again.  See what the January  window shows us.
    Just trying to get him on the cheap probably, fair play to them, I’m with you tell them to do one, pay up or shut up.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Slightly off topic, but anyone else get the theme tune to Charlie Chalk in their head when the name Charlie Kirk pops up?

No?  Just me...?
  • Options
    Slightly off topic, but anyone else get the theme tune to Charlie Chalk in their head when the name Charlie Kirk pops up?

No?  Just me...?
    What, with his wacky way of walking & wacky way of talking?

Nah, just you!😉
  • Options
    Exactly!  Wondering if he can get us out of trouble and teach us how to juggle.
  • Options
    I would hold off selling him just yet, see if the new manager wants him and if so then we have essentially added a player to the squad who has performed at a higher level. His performances with us weren’t inspiring but I think he was probably played out of position and had some significant personal issues going on. 

After we’ve appointed the new manager, assuming that’s soon, we’ll still have a couple of months to sell/loan him out if we don’t want to keep him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

No?  Just me...?
    Nope, definitely not just you! Now I'll have it stuck in my head all evening 😂
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Addick1956 doesn't believe in mental health. Or mourning a parent's passing at a relatively young age.
  • Options
    He is 23 going on 24 and can't  live in the south!
    Needs to grow up really. 

Naby Sarr was younger and could not speak much English.  He was sent to FC Paris for a year and returned.  He settled well. He ca.e from Portugal where he was playing and is French. 
    We are not all the same fella.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    se9addick said:
    Needs to grow up really. 

Naby Sarr was younger and could not speak much English.  He was sent to FC Paris for a year and returned.  He settled well. He ca.e from Portugal where he was playing and is French. 
    Need to check, but I believe Naby Sarr and Charlie Kirk are different human beings. 
    I dunno, they have their similarities in appearance.
    Maybe the club could buddy the two together next season :p
  • Options
    It may be a football cliche, but most new managers will come in and wipe the slate clean (providing Sandgaard and son allow).

I couldn't believe how bad he was in a Charlton shirt, in fact he can't actually be that bad can he?  I'm all for having another look at him.  If S&S do happen to stumble on a winning formula who knows what can happen? Momentum is a great thing, maybe we'll all be swept along in a tide of positivism, with the management, players and supporters all raising their game.

Oops I suddenly felt optimistic there ... I better take a lie down in a darkened room  :)
  • Options
    When Adriano lost his dad he never recovered. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Chunes said:
    When Adriano lost his dad he never recovered. 
    Another one who needs to "man up" then by the looks of things 🙄

Because its soooo easily done
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Needs to grow up really. 

Really???? FFS, that's such an antiquated comment!!! How dare a still relatively young man who had just lost his dad not settle away from his family and friends.

you do realise that everyone is different and just because one player settled, doesn't mean that all can? The example you gave isn't even a fair comparison.

as you said, sarr lived in Portugal and had experience at living away from parents before he joined us. We signed Kirk from his home town club where he had never been far from his family. Then there was his dads passing to add into the equation. Did his girlfriend come with him or stay up north. That could have been a big factor in him not settling.

a year later, if he comes back, his girlfriend might come with him. A new manager might buddy him up with another player to help him settle.

but yes, that's pretend it's 1956 again and tell him to grow up for not settling.

You should grow up to....it is not antiquated to expect a 23 year old to man up and be responsible  for his own decisions.  
    Not a stretch for a 23 year old to make a mistake either. If he’s not happy he should move clubs rather than try to force it to work. 
  • Options
    I would like to see him get a full pre season with us and see how he performs. I dont thinking will happen though as Blackpool have form for returning players from loans and then buying them they are just trying to get the price down imo. I would imagine if Kirk makes it clear he wants to go back North a deal will be done
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Needs to grow up really. 

Really???? FFS, that's such an antiquated comment!!! How dare a still relatively young man who had just lost his dad not settle away from his family and friends.

you do realise that everyone is different and just because one player settled, doesn't mean that all can? The example you gave isn't even a fair comparison.

as you said, sarr lived in Portugal and had experience at living away from parents before he joined us. We signed Kirk from his home town club where he had never been far from his family. Then there was his dads passing to add into the equation. Did his girlfriend come with him or stay up north. That could have been a big factor in him not settling.

a year later, if he comes back, his girlfriend might come with him. A new manager might buddy him up with another player to help him settle.

but yes, that's pretend it's 1956 again and tell him to grow up for not settling.

You should grow up to....it is not antiquated to expect a 23 year old to man up and be responsible  for his own decisions.  
    Are you actually capable of being nice or showing any signs of actually being human. His dad died at the time of him signing for us, from experience of losing a parent in my early 20's, I can see how the move away from his family may have affected his ability to settle and his ability to perform on the pitch. At the time of me losing a parent, I was due to sit exams for a professional qualification, I wanted to sit them as I wanted to make the lost parent proud but I wasn't in the right place so I put them back a year and passed!!! Or should I have grown up and sat them?

since you had a little tantrum about a month ago because you wrongly accused someone of calling you an arsehole, I have noticed that every post of yours is either name calling or being derogatory towards someone or something. I think there's only one person here who needs to grow up!!!
    I certainly am . My father lost his father when he was 9 due to gas from the 1st War. He had TB and was brought in poverty, real poverty.  The sort that meant getting a coat given by a neighbour meant someone  did a mea s test and took away a chair or loose some benefits such as they were. 
    His apprenticeship was interrupted by the war. At the age Kirk was last he had his first real taste of war....in the 2nd wave at D Day where he was despatched to disposal of enemy defences ahead of the next push. 

He was at Operation Market Garden, stuck in the Battle of the Bulge in the Ardennes and at the crossing of the Rhineland-Palatinate.

After the war he went back to his apprenticeship aged 25. 

His early life was hard . There was a depression as well .He lived in Charlton.  His paternal grandfather died a couple  of weeks after his dad. He was one of 4 children 

Because of his hard work in improving himself I never had to  the deprivation he had endured, or many like him. Others suffered more in the war in places like Burma , Palestine or POW  camps in Hitlers factories.

These men never  complained and it took us years to get out of them what they did in the war.
    And you worry about his move from Crewe to Charlton.  Dear God.

So take your nasty remarks and stuff them up your rear ends...

It is mot about showing compassion.  I reserve that for the poor sods in Ukraine or being shipped off to Rwanda or struggling  here. Not an overpaid footballer who things a move to London in a well paid job is terrible. 
    Very admirable what your ancestors were able to withstand to make sure you had the better life you describe.

I can't speak for them, or anyone else from that era, but I'd like to think if you or I had been through hardship so that the younger generation could thrive, we'd be pleased that society is developing to the point where mental health is taken as seriously as physical health.

Money does not cure all ills.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Sorry to take it off topic Critchley has now left Blackpool to replace Beale at Villa so I doubt Kirk will be going back there now. 
    Wow that is a surprise. Are Blackpool genuinely in trouble for money? Why would he leave a manager's role to be an assistant? I thought that was all a bluff to get a lower price on Kirk.