Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Adkins weekly press conference

Comments

• Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    I think Adkins is what I’d call text book manager , very set on how he wants to achieve things and how he goes about it. 

The whole structure just seems a bit forced if you ask me and I can’t put my finger on it but it’s lacking a bit charltoniastion.

Saying that you don’t just become a bad manager over night and it’s very clear that problem has been more than anything the recruitment and I’m not sure how much of that is Adkins fault 
    Maybe a textbook from 1983.  He’s done very little since his (admittedly exceptional) exceptional achievements at Scunthorpe and Southampton 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    mendonca said:
    Davison was doing extra running and light drills right through to the kick off. 

My take was, Davison was left out of the 18?
    He ran faster and looked the fittest player out there, and I thought he was doing the same drills as the starting 11 ? 
  • Options
    I think NA will turn things round and still think we will get promoted this season however his positivity at the moment does piss me off, I would prefer a bit of honesty rather than the standard lines that everyone knows are just soundbites. By that I dont mean naming and shaming players but just an honest upfront appraisal of the situation
  • Options
    The press conferences are far too friendly, for example why wasn't there a follow up question as to how Ronnie got injured 
  • Options
    The press conferences are far too friendly, for example why wasn't there a follow up question as to how Ronnie got injured 
    Not a personal thing on you but why does everybody care about Ronnie's whereabouts so much?
    It's not just your post but I've not seen a single post asking for further clarification on purrington for example, and yet every week is dominated by this weird Ronnie information fetish. 
  • Options
    LTKapal said:
    Not a personal thing on you but why does everybody care about Ronnie's whereabouts so much?
    It's not just your post but I've not seen a single post asking for further clarification on purrington for example, and yet every week is dominated by this weird Ronnie information fetish. 
    I quite agree I was using Ronnie as one of many examples 
  • Options

Think about it. It was in a practice match at the training ground.

Ronnie was clean through on goal, before getting clogged from behind by Ryan Inniss (who also hasn't played since).
    Adkins was lost for words.

Everyone knows this, don't they? :smile:

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    I think Adkins is what I’d call text book manager , very set on how he wants to achieve things and how he goes about it. 

The whole structure just seems a bit forced if you ask me and I can’t put my finger on it but it’s lacking a bit charltoniastion.

Saying that you don’t just become a bad manager over night and it’s very clear that problem has been more than anything the recruitment and I’m not sure how much of that is Adkins fault 
    Maybe a textbook from 1983.  He’s done very little since his (admittedly exceptional) exceptional achievements at Scunthorpe and Southampton 
    And yet people want Curbs back who has done nothing since 2007/2008

Adkins managed to save Hull from relegation then a mid table finish the next year, he then chose not to renew his contract and that was as recent as 2019.

Mid table with Frazier Campbell , Jarrod Bowen and Grosicki up front - combined 45 goals .  Whoever was in charge before must have been a joker .  I’m not denying he’s done some good things in the past but we look beyond clueless at the moment .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The broadcast press conferences before the game are rubbish. The camera on Adkins whilst the disembodied voice of an inaudible and mumbling interviewer (Terry Smith?) goes on far far too long asking something or other. From what I can gather the questions follow the same order, injuries first, and how Nigel feels about things second.
    Smith needs to talk less, louder, and enunciate clearly, Adkins needs to stop answering the same way every time.
    The after match interviews are sycophantic because it is Scott Minto from the ‘studio’ who dare not ask difficult or pertinent questions. Nige says talking is brilliant, well not your pre and post match stuff it isn’t.
    Why can’t Terry Smith be heard, and why is he allowed to mumble through one question in the time a proper interviewer could clearly and crisply ask three?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    The broadcast press conferences before the game are rubbish. The camera on Adkins whilst the disembodied voice of an inaudible and mumbling interviewer (Terry Smith?) goes on far far too long asking something or other. From what I can gather the questions follow the same order, injuries first, and how Nigel feels about things second.
    Smith needs to talk less, louder, and enunciate clearly, Adkins needs to stop answering the same way every time.
    The after match interviews are sycophantic because it is Scott Minto from the ‘studio’ who dare not ask difficult or pertinent questions. Nige says talking is brilliant, well not your pre and post match stuff it isn’t.
    Why can’t Terry Smith be heard, and why is he allowed to mumble through one question in the time a proper interviewer could clearly and crisply ask three?
    I have been alluding to this for a while. I have had zero interest in anything Adkins says for a while. I just avoid listening to him as I am unsure sticking a microphone in front of Bowyer, whilst being interesting, was helpful to him or the club. I feel patronised when Adkins is talking, but again, I don't mind that, his job is to get us winning games, not talk.
  • Options
    Adkins is predictable and premeditated in his responses and all just very textbook , nothing really seems reactive or off the cuff with him. If that’s how he is in his team talks I can’t imagine how that could really get in to the players amd fire them up
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    Adkins is predictable and premeditated in his responses and all just very textbook , nothing really seems reactive or off the cuff with him. If that’s how he is in his team talks I can’t imagine how that could really get in to the players amd fire them up
    Think this is one of the reasons I'd like to see him go. He doesn't seem very dynamic or like he'd get very angry. Someone mentioned he's always had the same team around him as a manager and his usual assistant manager has a bit of bite about him. Could this be where the breakdown is? Can't see JJ or Euell losing their wrag much in the changing room either....
  • Options
    LTKapal said:
    for me, it's because I believe there is more to it than we are being told
  • Options
    The whinging on this site has gone off the scale recently.  I can't believe any other L1 club has the quality of broadcasting we have.  It's not Sky because we are in L1 but it is great for what it is.  

What manager ever says anything worth listening to in a post/pre match thing anyway, they all come out with a slight different twist to the same thing.

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    Think this is one of the reasons I'd like to see him go. He doesn't seem very dynamic or like he'd get very angry. Someone mentioned he's always had the same team around him as a manager and his usual assistant manager has a bit of bite about him. Could this be where the breakdown is? Can't see JJ or Euell losing their wrag much in the changing room either....
    https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/nigel-adkins-relationship-andy-crosby-1942734.amp

Hard as nails center half.  Could do with someone like him on the pitch, as well as the dug out. 

• Options
    The whinging on this site has gone off the scale recently.  I can't believe any other L1 club has the quality of broadcasting we have.  It's not Sky because we are in L1 but it is great for what it is.  

What manager ever says anything worth listening to in a post/pre match thing anyway, they all come out with a slight different twist to the same thing.

It doesn’t come for free, and it is not beyond improvement.
  • Options
    How bland was that?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "The players are going to be in a far better position as we move forwards for the challenges that we’ll face during the season"

“We just have to navigate ourselves through this period of time.”

Sounds like the words of a man who is going nowhere, "move forwards", "We'll face during the season", "through this period of time"

I reckon Nigel, Thomas & Ged have had a pep talk.
  • Options
    Looking good for the 4th division then.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Gribbo said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/nigel-adkins-relationship-andy-crosby-1942734.amp

Hard as nails center half.  Could do with someone like him on the pitch, as well as the dug out. 

That’s the one main thing that he hasn’t had. Almost every other managerial job you bring your own people in to support you, know how you work, bring the best out of each other.

Adkins has come in to the club and has had to get to know everyone, the staff, the players, everyone.

His way of working will be different to Bowyer’s, Jackson’s, Euell’s, everyone. He hasn’t had the chance to bring his own team of people with him.

Not in any way am I making any excuses, it’s been awful, it’s horrible right now, but it’s something that hasn’t happened, having his own people come in and implement his ways.

Everyone has had to learn each other and that can’t have helped. Not when the aim last season when he came in was just to get as many points as possible from 10 games in the hoper gives us a chance to make the play-offs. That was the focus.

Since he needs to get things in place to implement his style and working ways, and without your own people around you at the start, knowing how you work, it can be a greater challenge than it already is or should be.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

Bowyer often did, but I don't think that was a good thing when he was angry. Adkins' press conferences are not worth listening to, but I don't hold that against him. It is the results that are the problem. And as he seems lucky enough to have another match he needs to find answers on the pitch pretty quickly.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

“As well all know, it’s all about results,” said Adkins.

“From our point of view, we reflected on it [Tuesday’s defeat to Bolton], we’ve had a good meeting, the players have been very positive and we shouldn’t take away from the things we’ve being doing well.

“We need to reinforce that and there are things we know we have to improve on – there is a real determination from myself, the staff, the players and everyone connected with the football club to turn it around.”

The players are working really hard, I think that’s evident,” he added.

We’ve played some really good football for long spells, but goals change games. It was a heavy defeat, you can’t hide away from that and that changes the mood for everybody.

“Our goals against tally is not good enough. Especially when you compare to last season. You can point to factors, but the fact is, our goals against tally is too high and we’ve got to address that collectively.

“I’ve got a positive mindsight and I’m looking forward. The players are going to be in a far better position as we move forwards for the challenges that we’ll face during the season. “We just have to navigate ourselves through this period of time.”

Meanwhile, Adkins spoke of Saturday’s opposition and the challenge ahead against Simon Grayson’s men.

“They’re the same as every team in this division in that they all have strengths and all have weaknesses,” he explained.

“It’s a tough division. For a neutral watching, it’s a great division to go and watch and if you’re a supporter, you know that whatever game you’re involved in, there’s a likelihood to be goals, there’s a likelihood to be different formations at different spells, so it’s going to be exciting.

“Simon is a vastly-experienced manager so we’re expecting a real tough game, as we do from every game. But I believe we have many strengths within our team as well.”

Finally, Charlton’s boss provided good news on Jonathan Leko, who limped off during Tuesday evening’s defeat at The Valley, saying: “We hope Jonathan Leko will be fine for this weekend’s game, so it’s good news.”

The bits I’ve highlighted in bold I don’t agree with, and the bold italics offer insight into why it’s the mess it is.  It’s as if football at this level is some sort of fluid utopia where teams can just change it up.  This is League One.  Most teams can’t even execute one formation well, let alone chop and change in a game.

I think a really refreshing press conference would’ve been.

“Whatever I say today means nothing, because I’m now at the point where actions have to speak louder than words”.  Problem is you can only play that on your deathbed and he probably doesn’t want to highlight that 

I agree, but maybe he doesn't need to say it, just do it!
  • Options
    cabbles said:

“As well all know, it’s all about results,” said Adkins.

“From our point of view, we reflected on it [Tuesday’s defeat to Bolton], we’ve had a good meeting, the players have been very positive and we shouldn’t take away from the things we’ve being doing well.

“We need to reinforce that and there are things we know we have to improve on – there is a real determination from myself, the staff, the players and everyone connected with the football club to turn it around.”

We’ve played some really good football for long spells, but goals change games. It was a heavy defeat, you can’t hide away from that and that changes the mood for everybody.

“Our goals against tally is not good enough. Especially when you compare to last season. You can point to factors, but the fact is, our goals against tally is too high and we’ve got to address that collectively.

“I’ve got a positive mindsight and I’m looking forward. The players are going to be in a far better position as we move forwards for the challenges that we’ll face during the season. “We just have to navigate ourselves through this period of time.”

Meanwhile, Adkins spoke of Saturday’s opposition and the challenge ahead against Simon Grayson’s men.

“They’re the same as every team in this division in that they all have strengths and all have weaknesses,” he explained.

“It’s a tough division. For a neutral watching, it’s a great division to go and watch and if you’re a supporter, you know that whatever game you’re involved in, there’s a likelihood to be goals, there’s a likelihood to be different formations at different spells, so it’s going to be exciting.

“Simon is a vastly-experienced manager so we’re expecting a real tough game, as we do from every game. But I believe we have many strengths within our team as well.”

Finally, Charlton’s boss provided good news on Jonathan Leko, who limped off during Tuesday evening’s defeat at The Valley, saying: “We hope Jonathan Leko will be fine for this weekend’s game, so it’s good news.”

The bits I’ve highlighted in bold I don’t agree with, and the bold italics offer insight into why it’s the mess it is.  It’s as if football at this level is some sort of fluid utopia where teams can just change it up.  This is League One.  Most teams can’t even execute one formation well, let alone chop and change in a game.

I think a really refreshing press conference would’ve been.

“Whatever I say today means nothing, because I’m now at the point where actions have to speak louder than words”.  Problem is you can only play that on your deathbed and he probably doesn’t want to highlight that 

He doesn’t half talk some bollocks - “we’ve had a good meeting”….great, the players don’t listen to him so what was the point? 
  • Options

Some of them.