Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Adkins weekly press conference

Comments

• Options
    cabbles said:

“As well all know, it’s all about results,” said Adkins.

“From our point of view, we reflected on it [Tuesday’s defeat to Bolton], we’ve had a good meeting, the players have been very positive and we shouldn’t take away from the things we’ve being doing well.

“We need to reinforce that and there are things we know we have to improve on – there is a real determination from myself, the staff, the players and everyone connected with the football club to turn it around.”

The players are working really hard, I think that’s evident,” he added.

We’ve played some really good football for long spells, but goals change games. It was a heavy defeat, you can’t hide away from that and that changes the mood for everybody.

“Our goals against tally is not good enough. Especially when you compare to last season. You can point to factors, but the fact is, our goals against tally is too high and we’ve got to address that collectively.

“I’ve got a positive mindsight and I’m looking forward. The players are going to be in a far better position as we move forwards for the challenges that we’ll face during the season. “We just have to navigate ourselves through this period of time.”

Meanwhile, Adkins spoke of Saturday’s opposition and the challenge ahead against Simon Grayson’s men.

“They’re the same as every team in this division in that they all have strengths and all have weaknesses,” he explained.

“It’s a tough division. For a neutral watching, it’s a great division to go and watch and if you’re a supporter, you know that whatever game you’re involved in, there’s a likelihood to be goals, there’s a likelihood to be different formations at different spells, so it’s going to be exciting.

“Simon is a vastly-experienced manager so we’re expecting a real tough game, as we do from every game. But I believe we have many strengths within our team as well.”

Finally, Charlton’s boss provided good news on Jonathan Leko, who limped off during Tuesday evening’s defeat at The Valley, saying: “We hope Jonathan Leko will be fine for this weekend’s game, so it’s good news.”

The bits I’ve highlighted in bold I don’t agree with, and the bold italics offer insight into why it’s the mess it is.  It’s as if football at this level is some sort of fluid utopia where teams can just change it up.  This is League One.  Most teams can’t even execute one formation well, let alone chop and change in a game.

I think a really refreshing press conference would’ve been.

“Whatever I say today means nothing, because I’m now at the point where actions have to speak louder than words”.  Problem is you can only play that on your deathbed and he probably doesn’t want to highlight that 

The more I read that, the more pissed off i get.  Pissed off that he is still employed by the club and able to do a press conference in the first place. 
  • Options
    Focus on what we're doing well...? Which is what? This is our worst league start in 100 years. 
  • Options
    Pray for @ForeverAddickted predicting the line up this week.  Usually up by now though..
    😉 
  • Options
    BR7_addick said:F
    Pray for @ForeverAddickted predicting the line up this week.  Usually up by now though..
    😉 
    Can't he just ask Grant?
  • Options
    Can’t read all of his BS. Just waiting for the sack no one resigns these days …
  • Options
    Latest News....
    Unconfirmed sources state, that Adkins Addicks Airways flight AAA L1P22 has crashed landed. An Investigation team are working around the clock to establish what went wrong and to trying and work out how AAA L1P22 which left a Thames based location, fully fuelled with new recruits has crashed. it’s understand that AAA were recently taken over by a US Danish businessman who employed a mysterious Technical director Ged Roddy. Social media has been awashed with rumours that the captain of the flight an alleged experience pilot Nigel Adkins had been experiencing hallucinations and had posted on social media incoherent ramblings, walking around the countryside in a dazed and confused manner. 
    It’s unclear where missing AAA L1 P22 is and there is wide spread concern for the Charlton families who had booked tickets to be on board having been  sold an optimistic dream ticket which appears to have turned out now to be a complete disaster. We await a statement from the beleaguered Owner & part time musician Thomas Sandguard. Investigators are increasing anxious to find AAA L1P22 black box where it is understand the mysterious data which has lead to this disastrous crash will be located. 

Mmmm..where have i heard that before... B)
  • Options
    Up until now, he hasn't annoyed me. If he continues talking bollocks and ignores the fact there's a problem. That'll change
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Gribbo said:
    Up until now, he hasn't annoyed me. If he continues talking bollocks and ignores the fact there's a problem. That'll change
    Hell hath no fury like a Gribbo scorned 😉.
  • Options
    Lose Saturday then bye bye......needs to show he has the ability to stop a poor run and grind out a result.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sorry Nigel but you have had long enough.
  • Options
    I’ve always admired his positivity but his media friendly long answer digressions are really starting to piss me off. I’m not interested in the excitement a change of formation generates or how great it is that we can have an opinion over a pint after the game (last week’s interview), I’m interested in shoring up the defence and scoring more than one goal in a game. Cut the bullshit and teach them to do those things please Nige. 

Also, sort your debriefs out - we’re making the same bloody mistakes every week!

cheers 
  • Options
    Time to reflect.......
  • Options
    Sadly, Nigel just contradicts himself. After 23 changes in 4 games he again tells us he wants a settled side! Ridiculous!
    He needs to come clean about DJ and possibly Kirk too. Where are they?
  • Options
    The players are working hard but none look fit enough to play 90 mins 
    what are we doing good we had 2 shots on target and we are wide open at the back. 
    The only time we’ve done anything this season is with 2 players up top. 
    But Nigel can’t see that and insists on playing 3 up top who spend most of the time watching the other 7 players defending. Can anyone tell me what formation was at end of Bolton game. 
    Change your formation or get sacked Nigel 
    Get the players fit to play 90 mins especially the wide players they need to be fit enough to run up and down that pitch fir 90mins.which they clearly can’t. 
  • Options
    We’ve played some really good football for long spells"

Have we?

Crewe was ok, 45 minutes v Gillingham, last 5 minutes at Wycombe, 35 minutes v Bolton. That's pretty much it in 10 games.

• Options
    All this 'we've played some great football' is utter tosh. Football is about winning games and a game is 90 minutes, you can play 'great' for periods but counts for nothing unless you pick up points and are consistent through games.

You can play like Brazil for 60 minutes, no good if you play like Welling for the other 30, the result will be the same, Nil point. Unfortunately we've at times played like Charlton for 45 minutes and a local park side for the other 45.

I'm seriously starting to think he's completely deluded and way out of his depth as a manager.
  • Options
    The only 2 good sustained spells of football i've witnessed were first half hour agianst gillingham and bolton - at least they have been in the last fortnight - i really think turfing watson out and getting a dobson or similar is key now. We couldn't play a month ago which was a big concern - i can see that we can now but now we can't stop conceding and its that 'shield' on the turnover which seem to be the main problem.   
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    BR7_addick said:F
    😉 
    Can't he just ask Grant?
    Russell ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Don’t get the Watson hate he looks the only one holding team together on the pitch.I would have preferred pratley though because he was more mobile and fitter than Watson.can’t understand why we let pratley go to bring in Arter 
    He does, but he is not mobile enough and as the game goes on, he gets less effective. The system we play, we need genuine energy in the midfield. Of course we need the passing too and Watson is in, because Adkins doesn't trust anybody else to provide it. But that doesn't not make him part of the problem, in the system we play at least.

If I was the owner, I would like to know from the senior pros and coaches (after I have sacked Adkins) if any of them know what is wrong and how it can be fixed. And I would get independent advice on the answers. I am a great believer that you can't put something right if you don't know what is wrong, but you have to bite the bullet and accept something is wrong before you can do that. If you are invested in something (I don't mean always financially, but that too) it can be quite a hard step to take.  
  • Options
    That’s why I would have kept pratley and not Watson because pratley was mobile and fit.but I think we cocked up on the contracts and had to give Watson another year and let pratley go think they realised this was a mistake so signed Arter who looks like he’ll be like Watson and not be mobile enough 
  • Options
    i was hoping, and still am, that arter will be a more mobile version of watson - false hope probably 
  • Options
    Don’t get the Watson hate he looks the only one holding team together on the pitch.I would have preferred pratley though because he was more mobile and fitter than Watson.can’t understand why we let pratley go to bring in Arter 
    He does, but he is not mobile enough and as the game goes on, he gets less effective. The system we play, we need genuine energy in the midfield. Of course we need the passing too and Watson is in, because Adkins doesn't trust anybody else to provide it. But that doesn't not make him part of the problem, in the system we play at least.

If I was the owner, I would like to know from the senior pros and coaches (after I have sacked Adkins) if any of them know what is wrong and how it can be fixed. And I would get independent advice on the answers. I am a great believer that you can't put something right if you don't know what is wrong, but you have to bite the bullet and accept something is wrong before you can do that. If you are invested in something (I don't mean always financially, but that too) it can be quite a hard step to take.  
    Maybe you should do that BEFORE you sack the manager?   You would look pretty silly if they all pointed in the same direction that wasn't the manager.  Not suggesting that this is the case.

Unfortunately I suspect that the senior pros are part of the problem. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    “We’ve played some really good football for long spells"

Have we?

Crewe was ok, 45 minutes v Gillingham, last 5 minutes at Wycombe, 35 minutes v Bolton. That's pretty much it in 10 games.

More than that at Wycombe, for what it's worth.
  • Options
    The problem with Watson is his slow feet, rather than his ability.
    Given an athletic and quicker player around him, he can still be effective. Nothing wrong with his reading of the game and distribution - but he's obviously selected for his experience and leadership.

Pratley had his issues when he first signed. Couldn't get his match fitness being played with an injury and not training between games.
    People were dissing him and writing him off straightaway. It was well into the second half of the season before he made an impact.

We know Arter has played very few games since the first lockdown 18 months ago.
    That can make match fitness difficult for an older player, as we saw with the legendary Joe Ledley.

Like with Pratley's early time at Charlton, we'll have to see with Arter.
    It really is up to him.

But I wouldn't write him off just yet.

• Options
    “We’ve played some really good football for long spells"

Have we?

Crewe was ok, 45 minutes v Gillingham, last 5 minutes at Wycombe, 35 minutes v Bolton. That's pretty much it in 10 games.

More than that at Wycombe, for what it's worth.

Could you possibly give us at least another 9 minutes?  then we have enough for one whole game + 4mins stoppage time.