Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

We have a relegation midfield

Comments

• Options
    Early days but the signs aren’t good. I like Morgan but he’s a squad player. 

Dobson looks slow and very limited. Clare just hasn’t offered anything so far and you can see why Oxford were happy to let him go.

Initially I thought one CM should be signed but there’s a case for two. Fingers crossed Gilbey isn’t too far away from being involved with some under 23 games.

We could just about get away with one if it was an excellent player and Gilbey is back soon. Having Dobson, Clare and Morgan fighting it out for a spot alongside them two wouldn't be the end of the world. I'd take two but the problem is we gave Watson a new contract and signed Clare and Dobson, can't see us signing another two. 
  • Options
    I'll be having nightmares about that midfield three tonight. Who thought that was a good idea?
  • Options
    Not sure it's quite relegation but it's very poor. None of them look like they should be starting in a decent League 1 team. If Gallen identified Dobson and Clare as the answer he needs to go. We paid money for Clare.
    We also let him go years ago. Now we are planning the return of our old keeper 'Sick note Henderson '.  It is very much relegation fighting squad. Look at the table and the injuries and the depth.  
    How is that relevant? We've let go of players in the past who have come back and done well. I'd certainly take Ajayi back that's for sure. 
  • Options
    Clare looked ok tonight compared to his previous games for us but he isn't the answer. His control is not good enough, He has no creativity and he doesn't score goals. He runs around a lot but that is for the bench at best not our starting midfield.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Why have you left out Jaiyesimi?

He is woeful.
    massively unfair, was our best player. Barely gets the ball and looks dangerous when he does. Good performance tonight although his final ball is still frustrating. 
    He had a reasonable first 10-12 minutes and later played in a good ball for Stockley's attempt on goal.

That was it. 

Our best player?  Hmm.  He was woeful.  Ponderous, heavy-legged.  Poor crosses.  It's like he can't kick it.  And the 37 year-old Lewington didn't break sweat.

What did I miss?
    The bit in the second half  where he beat Lewington and put a dangerous cross into the penalty area and the bit where Lewington got booked after being beaten by him. And numerous bits of good play in the first half.

You're welcome
    Numerous bits of good play in the first half?  I made that a few bits of good play in the first 10 -12 minutes.

And we'll disagree about his one-to-one contest with MK Dons coach (yes, that's coach) Dean Lewington.  At best, two bits of skill in 45 mins ... Yaay! 

And the cross was poor.

The guy is woeful.

You're also welcome.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:

He is woeful.
    Bizarre comment
    Explain why?

He is woeful.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:

He is woeful.
    Bizarre comment
    Explain why?

He is woeful.
    Cos he was comfortably our biggest threat tonight to the point where they subbed the guy marking him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Clare and Dobson are bottom 6 standard midfielders. There is a reason their two clubs didn’t want them. Morgan is currently an average youngster.

None are good enough. Forget any thought of either being good enough with better players around them.

They are cack. End of.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    The thread is about the midfield 3.
    If you want to continue discussing DJ our best player on the night start another thread please.

So, take a look at their first goal.
    Clare loses a header and then Morgan & Dobson both go for the same ball and neither get it.

(Inniss is then outpaced and the goalie is out of position, absolute shambles, but it started with the midfield 3).
    In fairness Morgan put in a delightful cross for our goal.

Second goal Clare lost a header once again from the free kick.
  • Options
    If you want to continue discussing DJ our best player on the night start another thread please.

Clare loses a header and then Morgan & Dobson both go for the same ball and neither get it.

(Inniss is then outpaced and the goalie is out of position, absolute shambles, but it started with the midfield 3).
    No it's not, it's about our midfield and DJ is a midfielder! He should be playing in our midfield as a winger.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Think all three are good enough to play a part, but that part is not playing every match and certainly not every match together. 
    Sorry - don’t agree.

They are cack.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

No it's not, it's about our midfield and DJ is a midfielder! He should be playing in our midfield as a winger.
    But he's not, he's part of the front 3 in a 433.

If he was a midfielder we'd be playing a 451 but that's not how it's described by Adkins or the OS
  • Options
    Clare is really really poor
  • Options
    Clare is really really poor
    He wasn't brilliant tonight, but comfortably the least of our midfield problems, which shows how dire the other two were 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There is a case for all 3 being the best or worst.
    But realistically they all need to be on the bench and at worst only one of them playing.
    You can't carry players in any league.
  • Options
    I have to say Id never heard of Clare before  we signed him. Now I know why.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Oxford did want to keep Clare but made it clear he was going to have to fight for his place in the team as a midfielder. Not surprising as they like technical players who can keep possession in the middle, and Clare does not look like that kind of player. Or if he is, he's hiding.
    ct_addick said:
    and for those who said Jonny Williams isn't good enough....how's them apples?
    Yesterday the guy came on as a 77th minute substitute in a league two match. 
  • Options
    Who’d have Shinnie and Pratley back?

i would.
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    Who’d have Shinnie and Pratley back?

i would.
    I wouldn't have Pratley back, there's nothing he would have done that would have made the start of the season any different. 

Shinnie on the other hand would have given  us someone with the ability to hold onto the ball in the middle of the park, especially in tight situations, and bring other players into play. I feel like players like Clare, who has shown he can make good runs off the ball, would benifit with a player like Shinnie around them. 
  • Options
    Yep I’d have pratley and shinnie back both better than what we’ve replaced them with.