Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Recruitment process - Adkins explains challenges

Comments

• Options
    A lot of excuses. I'm not sure if there are many/any teams that have a bigger budget than us except Ipswich, Wigan and Sunderland. I'm pretty sure Portsmouth, the other relatively big club in this division, haven't. 
  • Options
    As someone who decided not to buy a season ticket this year because of so many false dawns why did 9k of you decide to buy one? was it because you thought we might have a stronger squad than last year?

If you say a weaker squad I just don't believe you.  We may still have a stronger squad but it's sounding unlikely now.

I have seen about 1000 games at the valley, Selhurst or Upton park watching Charlton so hardly a fair weather fan. 

My main reason is the lack of chances we create, and not being convinced we would replace Chuks Aneke, which so far we haven't.

I will go tomorrow but have other football lower down the pyramid I can go to and the odd 3-2 win is just more fun than watching a tunnel jump over a 0-0 which we will no doubt start doing if we don't improve.
  • Options
    https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chris-powell-new-charlton-owner-won-t-splash-the-cash-9046129.html

Duchatelet owns a number of other clubs, including Standard Liege in his homeland, but Powell says he is not expecting a blank cheque despite Charlton being just three points clear of the Championship relegation zone.
    “I’m sure everyone is looking at it and thinking it’s going to be about spend, spend, spend but it won’t be that,” he said.
    “He has taken everything into consideration — financial fair play, what the club are doing commercially and what we do with our Trust and our supporters. He is immersing himself with everything.
    “He wants us to do well and he wants to build on what we’ve done. He has recognised that it has been harder for us this year financially, budget wise and player wise.
    “But he also knows that there are other issues to deal with and I’m very confident that he will deal with them. He wants to learn about the football club quickly and I just see it as a positive move.”

Replace Adkins for Powell there and you have a very similar press conference. 
    What a load of bolox 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    After all these years, funny how some fans viewpoints still shock you. People genuinely thinking we’re back to an era like the one under RD. Can’t believe what I’m reading.
    Please remind me of who owns the valley and sparrows lane. 

As things stand we are a league one club. 

We have a worse squad than we had last season. 

And unless I'm completely mistaken things are not going well regarding signing new players. 
    Get used to league one football people because we will still be here next season. 
    We ended up in League 1 in the first place because of the failings of RD as an owner. 

Whether or not we’re still a league 1 side, have a worse squad than last season and haven’t signed enough new players, we are still better off with Sandgaard than RD. 

I find it incredibly frustrating and sad that people disagree with that! 
    Absolutely no one hated Roland more than me I can assure you.

Remember 
    Just sell the club and FUCK OFF. 

I must have posted that 100 times. 

My problem now is that Roland still owns the valley and sparrows lane. 

And Tommy boy in my opinion has bitten of more than he can chew.

I sincerely hope that he is in this for the long game and we progress as a club.
    But let's just say I have my doubts. 
    I understand your doubts mate, but I think this is going to work out positively. 

By the way, you posted that way more than 100 times 😀
  • Options
    ^^^ and we lose around 10m a year in League One, would be a good idea to get out of it asap. Speculate to accumulate.
    That’s very easy to say when it’s someone else’s £10m+.

Growing up as a close family friend of Mark Goldberg, I know unequivocally that there a queues of people waiting to take advantage of new money in the game. It’s never been disclosed publicly how much Venables allegedly made from the two Chinese players Palace signed as an example but the rumours were it was seven figures. Mark Goldberg is a vilified by Palace fans but he was a fan first and foremost who let his heart rule his head and pissed £35m up a wall leaving himself and the club bankrupt.

This season is an anomaly because we have at least 4 new owners of league one clubs. Two have splashed the cash and two haven’t. I’d much rather enjoy a sustainably built club like we did under Murray/Varney/Curbs with a clear plan than gamble the clubs future based on one potential season of enjoyment (although expectations should have been managed better from the beginning).
    That’s not really the point, though, because whatever the number is the owner will be losing it anyway. And he’ll be losing it again if we don’t go up.

Not saying it’s easy or that it can’t backfire, but £1m plus oncosts is the difference between four players on £5k a week and four on £10k. That’s the level of gamble you decide whether to take. The rest of it is fixed.
    That calculation I think assumes you can get players on a 1 year contract or otherwise have the option of offloading them to save that cost ongoing when you cant swallow the losses anymore.
    I accept that but I am talking about one year’s losses. If you buy the right players but fail then presumably they will still be useful in year two. What I was saying was that you carry the bulk of the loss regardless in any given year. If you can’t get up over a period of years you will be destroyed financially anyway and you won’t have given yourself a chance.

I’m not saying this is easy or what the right thing to do might be. But if you’re not able to spend at the level required to compete for promotion, I’m not sure what the objective is. You won’t break even at Charlton in L1 year on year. You’ll just burn money.
    No argument there. 

I am confident TS has a budget that reflects the need to go for it and buy his way out of the league (within reason). Can’t believe he bought it without that simple knowledge. 

I think the challenge on transfers to date is the unique circumstances this year eg post covid, general need to adjust football finance and not being taken for a ride by other clubs. 

• Options
    iainment said:
    “A fighting chance of a top half finish”
    There you have it. 
    Lowering expectations in advance (once 9000 ST’s are sold of course). 
    Eh? I can’t see where Nigel mentioned fighting top half finish, that was @bigdiddy comment wasn’t it?
    Don’t let a fact like that stop people finding yet another way to moan about Sandgaard and Adkins. 
    But so far it’s been all talk without much to show for it in terms of the first team.
    What has that got to do with a poster presuming someone from the club mentioned “fighting chance of a top half finish” and then making a dig about it being after season ticket sales? Some people here are just intent on beating down Adkins, Sandgaard etc with anything they can. 
    That comment  “fighting chance of a top half finish” was entirely my view about where we will end up without investment in the squad. If we cannot point to the fact that the club will under-achieve without investment, what's the point of any discussion ?

TS has not delivered the funds to build a decent squad - it is that simple.

If he said " it will take a few years to build a squad", then no complaints from me.

But i believed he wanted to get the club out of these league sooner than the investments made will allow.

I hope we turn it around, but I doubt we will with the sqaud at Nigel's disposal 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    stonemuse said:
    After all these years, funny how some fans viewpoints still shock you. People genuinely thinking we’re back to an era like the one under RD. Can’t believe what I’m reading.

And unless I'm completely mistaken things are not going well regarding signing new players. 
    Get used to league one football people because we will still be here next season. 
    We ended up in League 1 in the first place because of the failings of RD as an owner. 

Whether or not we’re still a league 1 side, have a worse squad than last season and haven’t signed enough new players, we are still better off with Sandgaard than RD. 

Remember 

I sincerely hope that he is in this for the long game and we progress as a club.
    I understand your doubts mate, but I think this is going to work out positively. 

100 times a month maybe?
  • Options
    I don't get why someone would want to buy a "big" L1 side, and not want to get the hell out of L1 as soon as possible. It makes no sense financially or emotionally to be stuck in the 3rd division, while owning a big club, as you'll be unpopular and lose money as structurally clubs like Charlton, Sunderland, Ipswich etc aren't viable at this level
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I don't get why someone would want to buy a "big" L1 side, and not want to get the hell out of L1 as soon as possible. It makes no sense financially or emotionally to be stuck in the 3rd division, while owning a big club, as you'll be unpopular and lose money as structurally clubs like Charlton, Sunderland, Ipswich etc aren't viable at this level
    I’m certain TS does want that. It’s what he said in December. But it’s an unusual business and one in which costs can easily spiral out of control. Drawing the line in the right place isn’t easy, even if you have got the cash.

This is what TS said (about the Championship): “I still believe we can run at break even or at a profit – not necessarily on a single-season basis but in general – so I am not worried about that,” he said.  “Some clubs are paying way too much for shitty players, and I don’t want to do it that way. That’s how you end up spending tens or hundreds of millions, and possibly getting relegated back down to League One, too.”

I think it tells you what his approach is, and that he may have found League One more challenging financially than he imagined. 
  • Options
    I suspect his plan was to quickly throw a bit of money in to get out of league one then the "real" work begins in the Championship where he can properly set up an operating model he wants. Roddy, Mumford etc are all appointments with this view to the future.

Problem is, it's not quite that simple to get out of this division and he's been bought down to earth with a rather large bump.
  • Options
    If Ipswich and Wigan hadn’t have paid out the way they have this summer, I wonder if we’d be having half of these discussions. Other than those two, I don’t think there’s any other league 1 side that’s gone for it and signed a lot of players or big names with inflated wages. Do feel too many people are just looking at Ipswich and Wigan’s summer plan, and being angry we didn’t follow exactly. 
  • Options
    If Ipswich and Wigan hadn’t have paid out the way they have this summer, I wonder if we’d be having half of these discussions. Other than those two, I don’t think there’s any other league 1 side that’s gone for it and signed a lot of players or big names with inflated wages. Do feel too many people are just looking at Ipswich and Wigan’s summer plan, and being angry we didn’t follow exactly. 
    Seems a bit unlikely they have hoovered up everyone who would have done a job at this level. But maybe they have inflated the going rate for the others.
  • Options
    It’s been a strange window. The team which impressed me last season were Accrington. I thought there first 11 were one of the best in the division. Just checked and they sold no one. Shocked that a club of that size haven’t cashed in one players. Maybe the window won’t start until last couple of days.
  • Options
    Seems a bit unlikely they have hoovered up everyone who would have done a job at this level. But maybe they have inflated the going rate for the others.
    When I went to interview Erik Samuelson of AFCW few years ago he explained that the EFL pools  and syndicates the previous season's P&L, including specifically squad wages, to all clubs in that league. The idea is that a club can use the previous season to help budget for the coming one. At AFCW they had budgetted for I think, 3rd lowest squad budget in the division and told the manager that if he finishes 4th bottom, that's his KPIs met. Samuelson assumed most clubs use it that way. 

The problem for this season is that last season's figures will have been screwed by Covid and the badly executed salary cap. If you add on top of that being taken off guard by Ipswich and Wigan splurging cash, it's possible to imagine that the budget they've set leaves us a bit lower down the rankings than we had planned. However I can't imagine that it explains everything. You'd hope that their budget was set for at least 6th-8th position in the rankings.
  • Options
    I wonder how strongly, if at all, we pursued the Cowley brothers. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021

From 4.35 onwards sounds like Adkins wasn't happy with the summer recruitment being so slow. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m so bored of his voice. Excuses excuses mate, bowyer started the 18/19 season without a full bench. There’s no justifying where we are in the table and how rubbish we look 
  • Options
    I’m so bored of his voice. Excuses excuses mate, bowyer started the 18/19 season without a full bench. There’s no justifying where we are in the table and how rubbish we look 
    He’s got a point though and we weren’t we all morning massively until we suddenly filled up the squad in the last 2 weeks? But now we have what we want it’s time just blame the manager. Pathetic , Roddy isn’t getting anywhere near enough stick for me , the blame culture the  way it just shifts from one man to another is embarrassing 
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    He’s got a point though and we weren’t we all morning massively until we suddenly filled up the squad in the last 2 weeks? But now we have what we want it’s time just blame the manager. Pathetic , Roddy isn’t getting anywhere near enough stick for me , the blame culture the  way it just shifts from one man to another is embarrassing 
    Not defending Roddy or the recruitment. I certainly haven’t been ‘shifting blame around’ ,  I don’t really feel qualified to tear into Roddy as I don’t know enough about him/ how the recruitment works / who recruited who, what the budgets are of Us Vs others etc , or quite frankly how good or bad the recruitment has really been (eg. Is Kirk really as bad as he has looked?).

What I do know is that Adkins is the manager picking, coaching and (de)motivating the team. However good or bad the recruitment has been, the squad is clearly not so bad as to provide an excuse for where we are in the table or how woeful we have been all season. I never really wanted him, but I went into it last season and this season backing him. But I’m sorry, he’s not the man for the job.

That’s not to say Roddy shouldn’t be booted too, by the way. 
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    Not defending Roddy or the recruitment. I certainly haven’t been ‘shifting blame around’ ,  I don’t really feel qualified to tear into Roddy as I don’t know enough about him/ how the recruitment works / who recruited who, what the budgets are of Us Vs others etc , or quite frankly how good or bad the recruitment has really been (eg. Is Kirk really as bad as he has looked?).

What I do know is that Adkins is the manager picking, coaching and (de)motivating the team. However good or bad the recruitment has been, the squad is clearly not so bad as to provide an excuse for where we are in the table or how woeful we have been all season. I never really wanted him, but I went into it last season and this season backing him. But I’m sorry, he’s not the man for the job.

Is this not a major issue?

That we actually have zero clue about how major decisions at the club are made. It's all cloudy and the structure seems disorganised at best. 
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:

Is this not a major issue?

That we actually have zero clue about how major decisions at the club are made. It's all cloudy and the structure seems disorganised at best. 
    I dunno. I’m not sure it is. I’m not sure I’ve ever really known for sure how it’s working and I’m sure that’s the same at many different clubs including some who are thriving. Even when Powell was manager - was he picking and choosing or negotiating the deals for all of his signings, the likes of Stephens or Pritchard or Wiggins, or had he not even heard of some of them? Maybe he was, or maybe was it scouts, chief execs etc leading on it? When it’s all going well nobody really cares who’s signing the contracts and dealing with the agents. 
  • Options
    I just don't see how that can ever work,  not involving the manager at the front of decision making on recruitment. Unless we are going to adopt the arguably successful Chelsea model of bringing in a manager for 18 months tops and then sacking them after a league title and Cup double. 

It was made so clear when the ponces were the custodians that Steve Gallen and Lee Bowyer were on a page with recruitment and got more right than wrong. Now I have the same nasty feeling a lot of us have in that someone who does not have to deal with the players day to day brings them in and in that mucky game is probably influenced by people who incentives them to use their players such as DUM DUM DUUUUUR football agents 

• Options
    Do we actually know Adkins isn’t involved in the recruitment? 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    stonemuse said:

Remember 

100 times a month maybe?
    And still no promote.