Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Recruitment process - Adkins explains challenges

Comments

• Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    I’m so bored of his voice. Excuses excuses mate, bowyer started the 18/19 season without a full bench. There’s no justifying where we are in the table and how rubbish we look 
    He’s got a point though and we weren’t we all morning massively until we suddenly filled up the squad in the last 2 weeks? But now we have what we want it’s time just blame the manager. Pathetic , Roddy isn’t getting anywhere near enough stick for me , the blame culture the  way it just shifts from one man to another is embarrassing 
    Not defending Roddy or the recruitment. I certainly haven’t been ‘shifting blame around’ ,  I don’t really feel qualified to tear into Roddy as I don’t know enough about him/ how the recruitment works / who recruited who, what the budgets are of Us Vs others etc , or quite frankly how good or bad the recruitment has really been (eg. Is Kirk really as bad as he has looked?).

What I do know is that Adkins is the manager picking, coaching and (de)motivating the team. However good or bad the recruitment has been, the squad is clearly not so bad as to provide an excuse for where we are in the table or how woeful we have been all season. I never really wanted him, but I went into it last season and this season backing him. But I’m sorry, he’s not the man for the job.

That’s not to say Roddy shouldn’t be booted too, by the way. 

Spot on
  • Options
    I really don't think Adkins wanted a striker with the profile of a Stockley. 

Have the feeling Thomas, Roddy + Gallen saw Stockley scored a load of goals and bought him without thinking about how he'd fit into the team long term. 

If Adkins had Aneke he would have started every game he was fit and available. 
  • Options

Have the feeling Thomas, Roddy + Gallen saw Stockley scored a load of goals and bought him without thinking about how he'd fit into the team long term. 

But would he? He hasn't started a Championship game for Birmingham but has come on as sub in all six games, scoring one goal. Given that Birmingham have failed to score in four of those games, one would have thought that he would have had an opportunity to start by now. He has done so in a couple of EFL games but not scored so perhaps he's still not keen on doing so.
  • Options

But would he? He hasn't started a Championship game for Birmingham but has come on as sub in all six games, scoring one goal. Given that Birmingham have failed to score in four of those games, one would have thought that he would have had an opportunity to start by now. He has done so in a couple of EFL games but not scored so perhaps he's still not keen on doing so.
    He's better than Stockley
  • Options

He's better than Stockley
    Not saying he isn't. I was replying to your assertion that "he would have started every game he was fit and available". He doesn't want to start as evidenced by the fact that he has only started 13 out of 64 games for us and Birmingham i.e. one in five
  • Options
    I think Aneke is a lot more the sort of player that Adkins wants, than a 'headmaster' like Stockley. 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    We had this on the OS

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/6139d07e655f0/13-signings-a-busy-summer

It's heavily weighted to stats (the black box referred to in the link). But my worry is that looks at individuals, not building a team. How will that player fit with the rest of the squad etc. Often the best 11 players don't make the best team, you need balance throughout. Harking back to the early 90's - Colin Walsh, a great player in his day but injuries took it's toll. Would he have been half the player those last couple of years without Minto behind him or a Peake, Bumstead etc beside him. 

I'm not convinced if I'm honest. Numerous times Adkins and others have said on Stockley he is the best striker in the division, I don't see that, his goal and assist record (not just with us but in his career) does not correlate to that or even remotely close. This season he's not even in the top 24 scorers in this league, how many assists? (Zero by the way)

I also think part of the master plan is picking up young players, improve them and shifting them on at a profit, I suspect that's the Dobson & Clare scenario and possibly to an extent Kirk.

I think we also massively lack leaders on the pitch. No one is taking games by the scruff of the neck, no one is leading, we badly miss Pratley in that respect, his experience for the younger players was invaluable but also his game management and ability to instruct/take players through games, Watson hasn't picked up that baton.

Often in games we are rudderless, every good team we've ever had, had a core spine of leaders, I don't see any out there of late.
    Nail on head, RL. 

Once again, too many cooks plus a likely muddled, unclear policy on player recruitment that not all involved buy into. 

Recipe for disaster IMK ....

( In my kitchen ) 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stockley is a very good striker at this level and if he would have ended up at Pompey or elsewhere he would terrorised us over two games and people would have been tearing the place down as to why we didn't sign him. He scored goals under Adkins last season and will again. Most of the signings I would agree with apart from Arter, that was a signing that adds no creativity, should have been someone in the mould of Forster Caskey who we know is injury prone and can't be rested as he is such a key player when fit. That situation needs addressing in January.
  • Options

No, he wouldn't. We know that, because Adkins did have Aneke and started him exactly zero times. Adkins was in charge last season for 10 games. In that time Stockley started every single game, with Chuks on the bench, and generally coming on late on, for 8 of those games. He came on after 45 minutes against Lincoln, but that was for Purington not Stockley, and it was Chuks who got subbed at the end to bring Pratley on. Chuks was (presumably) injured for two of those 10 games. Adkins had multiple opportunities to start Chuks and chose Stockley over him every single time, using Stockley as much as he could. I think it's a stretch to say Adkins didn't want Stockley given the facts
    But Aneke doesn't start games for reasons that seem to be known to some and are down to him rather than the Managers he plays under. He has only done so in 13 out of 64 League games in that time. That good a striker starts more than that unless something is untoward.
  • Options
    Valiantphil explains the problems:

1) no player under 30 has heard of Atkins
    2) how could a new recruit be sure he was going to last more than a dozen games
    3) even Tiny Tempah has never been to Scunthorpe
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    An awful lot of hindsight on Stockley going on here, the vast majority were happy to sign him, I suspect Adkins won't admit it this week, but I suspect he was happy too. 

He's a good player, who offers us a lot, there is zero reasons why we can't play the way we did last night with Jayden in the team. 

I am extremely surprised at how Stockley has gone from hero to zero in literally a couple of weeks.   Whilst I dont necessarily think he's the best striker in the league he's a bloody good player who puts his body on the line for the team for 90 minutes at both ends of the pitch.

He's probably as frustrated as us that balls are just getting launched up to him with no support.    Would not write him off at all as think he is very good and committed player but just needs to be used right.

Was delighted when we signed him permanently.
    The journey from the next Yann to the new Mike Small has been rapid 
  • Options

But they might have heard of Adkins
  • Options

I thought this at the end of last season. Don't know why, but just NA's tone seemed to change whenever Stockley's name came up. When discussing summer signings, he was very quiet on JS, I did consider this may be down to keeping cards close to his chest, but something just seemed a bit off, but considering how well he done at the tail end of the last campaign and added to the fact that he was becoming a fans favourite, the owner seemed mesmerised by him and Stockley himself publicly stated he wanted to join us, left Nigel backed into the corner with little choice (not that he really had any to start with). 
  • Options

A lot more have heard of Adkins than Jackson or Euell. 
  • Options

i.e. maybe started 2 and not lasted 45 minutes in any appearance
    that's no place to start building a team
    academic in that Chuks took the money & prestige (!!!!) on offer at brum

Stockley's having the ball launched at him regardless of how outnumbered he is by opponents or isolated he is from any support - that's not JS's fault.  His colleagues probably lack confidence, given the dismal performances and results, several of them lack much quality and a few have been under delivering.
    NA's dropped him v Gills cos NA's run out of ideas.  When Plan A hasn't delivered, NA's had nothing more and no appreciation of what's up or what the opposition are doing and how they can be counteracted.
    NA's managed at this level before - he knows he has to make do with what he's got, there are no silk purses expected but it looks like he wouldn't recognise one if it slapped him in the face.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

A lot more have heard of Adkins than Jackson or Euell. 
      Neither of those guys is picking the team.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

He has been a manager for 15 years and managed in league 1, or above, in every season since, bar one.  If your a league 1 professional footballer and have never heard of him who would you have heard of?

Its not like he had 10 years off. 

Even if you had heard of him - point 2 still applies.

Reading:
    On 15 December 2014, Adkins was sacked following his side's 6–1 defeat to Birmingham which left them ten points behind a play-off place in the Championship

Sheff U:
    Ended the season in 11th place, their lowest league position since 1983, eight points from the play-offs. Because of this, Adkins was sacked on 12 May 2016

Hull
    In his first full season in charge, Adkins led the club to a 13th-place finish, On 8 June 2019, Adkins confirmed his decision not to renew his expiring contract, stating that his and the club's futures were "not aligned".
  • Options
    No one ever claimed Watson and Pearce were signed to play with the u23s. Was always around them being back up players for the first team squad.
  • Options
    Jaydon Stockley is an excellent player at this level and I was pleased we signed him, albeit I didn't quite get the hyperbole from some quarters given his limitations.
    But, and here's the rub, if you are not going to play to his strengths his signing is pretty pointless.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Sorry.

Watson and Pearce resigned to be back up players and both starting after 8 games ahead of the new editions.

Doesn't really change the point much...
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    No but I can see what's happened, things didn't go to plan in the summer with all the late signings. That has meant a lot of players aren't fully fit. I don't see them keeping their places in the team if we can get most players match fit and avoid too many injuries/suspensions.
  • Options
    Well yeah, the recruitment not going to plan is kinda the point. So we have back up players playing ahead of the new lcb and 2 CMS, or were Famewo, Dobson and Clare all injured? (Genuine question have missed if so)
  • Options

"The club recently fleshed out the details on how their ‘Black Box’ works – their terminology for the room at their Sparrows Lane training ground where analysts have compiled data on 6,500 players. Dulwich Hamlet defender Aaron Barnes, on Charlton’s books as a youngster, and Ruben Sammut work with Australian-based Dan Pelchen, who devised the algorithm for assessing potential transfer targets."

"“What I’m trying to accomplish is that it’s not about a lot of new signings,” said the Charlton supremo. “It’s a lot more about everybody, especially the fans, getting used to the names we have bought and are building on. And then there might be two or three signings every transfer window, just to fill gaps that help lift us to the new level we’re at – rather than waiting for 10, 12 or 14 new signings every transfer window, because that’s not a healthy club. That’s not a club that is easy to relate to. Because you relate to the players, their personalities and watching them play."

So how many of these players are we still hoping to see playing for us in 3/4 years time? 

• Options
    After 8 games I wouldn't want to assume what level these players can achieve in a largely new formation and team.