Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

COVID and overseas travel

Comments

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    JamesSeed said:
    se9addick said:
    bobmunro said:
    Off to Zante on Sunday - all double jabbed.

Greek Locator Form and proof of vaccination required going out (have hard copies and electronic) - Lateral Flow Test within 48 hours of returning to the UK and a PCR test with 48 hours of arriving in UK. Testing pack from TUI (LFT and PCR) - £20
    Why do you need to do a Lateral Flow and a PCR test when you get back to the UK?
    se9addick said:
    bobmunro said:

Greek Locator Form and proof of vaccination required going out (have hard copies and electronic) - Lateral Flow Test within 48 hours of returning to the UK and a PCR test with 48 hours of arriving in UK. Testing pack from TUI (LFT and PCR) - £20
    Why do you need to do a Lateral Flow and a PCR test when you get back to the UK?
    You don’t. I think they mean LFT before you return, but badly worded. PCR after you return. 
    Yes, awfully worded. LTR in resort two days before travelling back to UK - PCR within two days of arrival back in UK.
    What happens practically if the LTR is positive before you return? Do TUI quarantine you somewhere and at their cost etc or do you have to make your own plans etc ? I assume you aren’t simply allowed to carry on as normal at your holiday hotel for a further week. 

It’s this aspect  which puts me off trying to holiday overseas yet. 

Yes, that's the big risk. I'm assuming quarantine in an identified for the purpose hotel and at the travelers cost.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Yes, that's the big risk. I'm assuming quarantine in an identified for the purpose hotel and at the travelers cost.
    Apparently the included TUI COVID cover includes 'Costs associated with an extended stay and a new return flight home if you’re asked to quarantine while on holiday.' 

(Have been checking the small print as we are due to be travelling with them as well at the end of next week...)
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    JamesSeed said:
    se9addick said:
    bobmunro said:

se9addick said:
    bobmunro said:

You don’t. I think they mean LFT before you return, but badly worded. PCR after you return. 
    Yes, awfully worded. LTR in resort two days before travelling back to UK - PCR within two days of arrival back in UK.
    What happens practically if the LTR is positive before you return? Do TUI quarantine you somewhere and at their cost etc or do you have to make your own plans etc ? I assume you aren’t simply allowed to carry on as normal at your holiday hotel for a further week. 

It’s this aspect  which puts me off trying to holiday overseas yet. 
    Think it depends where you are.  In Greece and Spain the government there pay for the quarantine hotels.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Apparently the included TUI COVID cover includes 'Costs associated with an extended stay and a new return flight home if you’re asked to quarantine while on holiday.' 

(Have been checking the small print as we are due to be travelling with them as well at the end of next week...)
    On this basis it’s less the financial risk more the sheer inconvenience and boredom of being in quarantine abroad I see as the big risk. 

It’s not, after all,  an extra week at your hotel enjoying the amenities!

Also it’s seemingly now the case that despite being double jabbed infection is a genuine possibility just far reduced likelihood of illness/issues. Sods law says I could be ok but test positive. 

Then what happens to your travelling party /family ? Are you all able or required to quarantine or just you etc? Seems a minefield temporarily. 

• Options
    bobmunro said:

On this basis it’s less the financial risk more the sheer inconvenience and boredom of being in quarantine abroad I see as the big risk. 

Also it’s seemingly now the case that despite being double jabbed infection is a genuine possibility just far reduced likelihood of illness/issues. Sods law says I could be ok but test positive. 

Then what happens to your travelling party /family ? Are you all able or required to quarantine or just you etc? Seems a minefield temporarily. 

But can you 'enjoy the amenities' if you have to stay because you have tested positive?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

But can you 'enjoy the amenities' if you have to stay because you have tested positive?
    That’s my point. I assume not and that you become confined to your room at ‘a n other’ hotel. 
  • Options

Canada and Denmark are among seven countries moving to the green list in the latest changes to Covid restrictions.

Thailand and Montenegro are being added to the UK government's red list - meaning they are considered to be among the highest-risk destinations.

Finland, the Azores, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Lithuania are also moving to the green list.

The changes will come into force at 04:00BST on Monday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58348541

• Options
    In Ibiza no checks coming in and have to do a negative before leaving and you do it yourself obs don’t stick the stick all the way done your throat. Something about a Day 2 test getting home but pretty sure no one will follow that up 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    In Ibiza no checks coming in and have to do a negative before leaving and you do it yourself obs don’t stick the stick all the way done your throat. Something about a Day 2 test getting home but pretty sure no one will follow that up 
    In theory that test in Ibiza isn't sufficient for returning to the UK as it isn't an effective test. A friend who is a travel consultant did theirs before leaving Mallorca and you had to do it on zoom or whatever so they see the test is done by the right person and properly.

My understanding is the day 2 tests ARE being followed up - don;' risk a £500 fine for the sake of a £50 test!

That said, for the Reading Festival you either need to have proof you are double vaccinated more than 14 days or a negative lateral flow test - the lateral flow test could have been done by anyone and may not have even been anywhere near tonsils or up anyone's nose; that's not going to be abused now is it?!
  • Options
    In theory that test in Ibiza isn't sufficient for returning to the UK as it isn't an effective test. A friend who is a travel consultant did theirs before leaving Mallorca and you had to do it on zoom or whatever so they see the test is done by the right person and properly.

My understanding is the day 2 tests ARE being followed up - don;' risk a £500 fine for the sake of a £50 test!

That said, for the Reading Festival you either need to have proof you are double vaccinated more than 14 days or a negative lateral flow test - the lateral flow test could have been done by anyone and may not have even been anywhere near tonsils or up anyone's nose; that's not going to be abused now is it?!
    Probably why there were 4,700 positive tests after the Boardmasters festival in Cornwall. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The lft for Wembley games people were just putting the code into gov website and putting negative 
  • Options

We paid £28 for a day 2 test which seems like the market rate. Day 2 + 9 tests as required from amber countries were around £50.

The tests were posted to us, we did them at home in about 5 minutes and posted them back. We got the results in three days after posting (both negative) along with a certificate by email.

althougg we have not received any follow up calls, we did have to input our unique tests ID into the passenger locator form which was required before we flew back or we didn’t get on the plane. So I would also recommend organising one. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

No I’m afraid not. 
    FWIW we returned from Dubrovnik on Wednesday and we needed to show the VeriFly App at the airport, but at Heathrow it was just a case of showing our passports. Just a five/ten minute wait in the queue. We used the automatic passport scanners. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    bobmunro said:

No I’m afraid not. 
    FWIW we returned from Dubrovnik on Wednesday and we needed to show the VeriFly App at the airport, but at Heathrow it was just a case of showing our passports. Just a five/ten minute wait in the queue. We used the automatic passport scanners. 
    We didn’t find that VeriFLY was necessary as long as you had all the details for the required tests to hand. 

That said all those details were necessary and if we had used VeriFLY it would have been quicker at checkin.
  • Options
    Going to Tenerife on the 17th, as far as I can tell I just need to show I’m double vaccinated to get there and a pcr test when I’m back in the uk? 
  • Options
    Going to Tenerife on the 17th, as far as I can tell I just need to show I’m double vaccinated to get there and a pcr test when I’m back in the uk? 

I think you will also need to do a lateral flow test a couple of days before you leave Tenerife.
  • Options
    Yeah I think you need to do a lateral flow test at a test centre in Tenerife where they email you the result (capped at around EUR 30) ans you need to take it within 82 hours of flying back. 

You also need to have booked your PCR test that you will take when you get back and have the code from that booking. This code is required for your passenger locator form which you must fill in online before checkin. Without the code you cannot complete the form abs you will probably not be able to fly. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

I think you will also need to do a lateral flow test a couple of days before you leave Tenerife.
    ...... And not just any lateral flow test. You will need tests that provide you with certification to prove that you tested negative or you won't be allowed to fly.
    The tests that we recently took to return from Spain were monitored by Zoom call and once they could see that our tests were negative they e-mailed the certification. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    bobmunro said:

No I’m afraid not. 
    We didn’t find that VeriFLY was necessary as long as you had all the details for the required tests to hand. 

That said all those details were necessary and if we had used VeriFLY it would have been quicker at checkin.
    Yes, with the Verifly App they just wanted to see that it had ‘gone green’ and you’re good to go. Sped it up for us, and as most people seemed to be using it the queue moved quickly. 
  • Options

We paid £28 for a day 2 test which seems like the market rate. Day 2 + 9 tests as required from amber countries were around £50.

The tests were posted to us, we did them at home in about 5 minutes and posted them back. We got the results in three days after posting (both negative) along with a certificate by email.

althougg we have not received any follow up calls, we did have to input our unique tests ID into the passenger locator form which was required before we flew back or we didn’t get on the plane. So I would also recommend organising one. 
    What company was that with, as am seeing £48 the minimum at the mo?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:

Yes, you will have to do one in Tenerife before you leave to be able to fly - but at least the Spanish tests aren't as expensive at the UK ones. Although I thought I saw TUI offering testing packages from £20 which seems good, if you are travelling with them though!
  • Options

https://www.expert-medicals.co.uk/

Green list or fully vaccinated from amber country day 2 kits £28
  • Options
    This was the company recommended by the Maltese authorities at the airport, got a unique test reference immediately by email.
  • Options

https://www.expert-medicals.co.uk/

Green list or fully vaccinated from amber country day 2 kits £28
    Just ordered one of these from Expert Medicals, just make sure you add the test to your cart before entering your details or it just reverts you back to the start
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Help needed.

Returning tomorrow from Ireland, email from Ryanair about passenger location form. Trying to fill out the form and it’s saying that I require a pcr test, this wasn’t the case going out. Have things changed? 

Have tried phoning the helpline, hanging on for ages.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Help needed.

Returning tomorrow from Ireland, email from Ryanair about passenger location form. Trying to fill out the form and it’s saying that I require a pcr test, this wasn’t the case going out. Have things changed? 

The current gov.uk advice says 

'Ireland, the UK, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man

If you’re travelling to England from within the UK, Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man, you do not need to:

• complete a passenger locator form
    • take any COVID-19 tests
    • quarantine on arrival in England'

So it seems you do NOT need to. Have you been anywhere else?

'You must not have been outside of the UK, Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man in the 10 days before you arrive in England'
  • Options

Ireland, the UK, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man

You do not need to take a COVID-19 test or quarantine on arrival in England if you are travelling within the UK, Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man, (the Common Travel Area), and you have not been outside of the Common Travel Area in the previous 10 days.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england#ireland-the-uk-the-channel-islands-and-the-isle-of-man

• Options
    Help needed.

If you are filling out a PLF, it is correct that you have to do a PCR.  But you don't need to do a PLF if you're a UK passport holder returning (only) from the Republic of Ireland. 
  • Options
    Either a lot of people on this thread are missing the point or I have misunderstood.

As I understand it you take a test on Day 2 after entering the UK. If you or anyone on your mode of transport ('close contact') tests positive then you must isolate for 10 days. This period can be shortened with a Day 5 test.

The problem with travel is not just if you yourself test positive but if anyone else in close contact to you does. What however is the definition of 'close contact'? I would assume it to include any other passenger on your plane, after all everyone breathes the same recycled air. For a train, is it limited to your carriage and / or those who boarded at the same station, or is it the whole train?
  • Options
    Help needed.

Hope you got/get back ok