Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

COVID and overseas travel

Comments

• Options
    adsads
    edited September 2021
    @PrincessFiona

Sorry but that's bollocks regarding the testing. If you visit France, for example, you can get a test done on the day you request it and get the result online that same evening. You go to a test centre - there's none of this posting nonsense.  I know because I've done it twice.

Compare that to what the UK government demand of visitors. I had to abandon plans of a trip to the UK two weeks ago because my Day 5 test would have fallen on a Saturday, having to assume that someone on my plane /  train tested positive on Day 2. In the UK it's difficult if not impossible to go and get tested on a Saturday, so I've been informed. Even then I wouldn't have got the result until Monday or Tuesday. I had to be back imperatively for the Monday so I called the whole idea off, again. 

Why aren't there simply 7 day testing centres where you can get same day results? Simply because the UK government doesn't give a shit about the public.

I am talking generally, not about one thing out of thousand. You have picked one thing out of thousands. I appreciate there are others but collectively it is like a ten fold increase in work load, so some things are going to give.

Was your trip an emergency?

Using the term 'bollocks' and saying 'the UK government doesn't give a shit about the public' puts your comments, wording and attitude into perspective!

How can saying this testing procedure is bollocks (rubbish to put it nicely) and asserting that the government doesn't care about the public, which from my point of view is true, be putting my attitude into perspective? How do you define my attitude? Angry? You bloody bet I am. Overseas British citizens who just want to visit family are being treated like filth. I hate this government and I'm not afraid to say so. I may use strong words but they have never been so well-deserved. If I were to really display the way I feel then I would use far more swear words and bad language, believe me. These testing requirements of fully vaccinated visitors and the procedures that accompanies it is nothing but a complete shambles that makes travelling to the UK such an inconvenience that it becomes nigh-on impossible. How for example can you justify that for a period the UK differentiated between those vaccinated in the UK and those vaccinated elsewhere with the same vaccine. It was nothing but discriminatory.

What about your attitude? I can only assume that you work for the government. I think that you have a very off-hand attitude if you consider my case to be 'one thing out of a thousand?' What the hell are you talking about? There are 800,000 British citizens in France alone and all of us are having to put up with this shoddy treatment. I am therefore talking generally. I have no idea what you are talking about. What is this ten-fold increase in work-load that you are talking about? Perhaps it is the work-load of trying to use private companies as sub-contractors to do postal testing. What kind of nonsense is that? Can't the governement organise 7 day a week testing centres in every sizeable town that travellers are obliged to go to on Day 2, get tested and get the results. Instead they make the obligation and then make it extremely difficult to meet that obligation. If that's not displaying a contempt (to put it more politely) for the public then what is?

Lastly, what is an emergency in your opinion? Does for example my mother have to get to the state where she is actually already ten feet under before you will allow me to visit her. I am a British citizen and should be allowed to visit without all this shit. Don't you bloody insinuate that I have a bad attitude.
    Well said, it's a joke. This govt are complete fuckwits, and what they've done is shift all of the admin responsibilities onto the travel companies to police it. 
  • Options
    @PrincessFiona

I am in the same situation as @jimmymelrose. The problem with the UK approach is that  on examination it appears to be  irrational, and nobody else in Europe copies it. Yet the UK has a  significantly higher infection rate than the EU average. I mean, nearly 5 times higher. I have no doubt that everyone involved in the UK has been working like crazy, but why would you not think the same is true in every developed country, including all EU countries? I will now demonstrate why the UK output of all that hard work is incomprehensible to visitors from the EU:

1. As far as I can tell (it is certainly true of CZ and its neighbours in Germany, Austria etc), no EU country requires fully vaxxed (> 2weeks ago) visitors to be tested after arrival.

2. I have not seen any explanation of the medical risk of infection that fully vaxxed people can be at high risk of transmitting Covid, as a result of something that happened in the 2 days after their antigen test at home, and the two days before their PCR test in the UK. I am sure there is a risk, the question is how big, and why no other EU country considers it a risk to their populations enough to slap on these hassles to incoming travellers.

3. It is incomprehensible to Europeans that the UK, the home of the fabled NHS, has given this PCR testing over to some kind of CompareThePCRTest.com private free-for -all. In Germany in late June on our holiday we had to have an antigen test after arrival according to their regulations. Each small village has a State run place for this, administered by medical staff, and is free to all EU citizens. BTW neither in Germany nor CZ are self-test PCR tests even used, and definitely not for testing incoming travellers.

4. For all this hard work that went on, why was this free-for-all racket allowed to run un-checked until the Daily Mail started getting complaints from its readers? The solution to avoid it was simple. Even the Czech Republic, not known for its nimble public authorities, did it. The Health Ministry told the private laboratories involved, this is the max you can charge (£50 for a PCR) and if we catch you exceeding that, you lose your accreditation. What's so difficult about that? What's that you say...Tory ministers such as Owen Patterson are financially involved with testing companies like Randox? Oh....

5. The colour light system. It is beyond ridiculous. The Czech Republic remains on the amber list, while its neighbours Germany and Austria are green. According to the FT, these are the latest 7 day rolling average Covid case figures:

UK:          50.53
    Austria    16.05
    Germany 11.73
    EU           11.06
    Czech       1.87

Nobody, least of all the hapless British Ambassador, can explain why CZ is yellow, while Germany and Austria are green. However it does not matter. Because for vaccinated people, the same nonsense ritual is applied whether yellow or green. 

Now maybe you have some explanations for some of the above. But if you look at it, you may start to understand why @jimmymelrose is apoplectic. So am I. And I am not going to go  along with this absolute load of bollocks,
    I certainly don't agree with everything that has been done, and certainly can't answer for decisions and circumstances you both cite. I was originally just trying to explain why the significant increase in workload would mean some things wouldn't work as well as they could. 

There is certainly no justification for a barrage of comments and requests for answers on details I can't possibly know in sufficient detail.

Part of the issue in the UK is some lack of adhering to precautions (people have been arrested in some countries for not wearing masks outside, let alone in supermarkets), the demographics and density of the population and the fact that the NHS is free)

I heartily agree that the cost of testing is ridiculous. But the whole (world-wide) situation is complex, so individually we are all going to be affected in different ways and not all the procedures and outcomes are going to suit each of us individually. I am grateful not to have caught covid and to still have my job, as many people can't say that. If I am able to travel on holiday in a few weeks, that I booked during a world-wide pandemic knowing it might not go ahead, then that is a bonus
  • Options
    That's OK @PrincessFiona, I don't expect you to supply the answers. I just don't want you to give this atrocious government a free pass (and BTW unlike some I retain a very high regard for the UK Civil Service, and I am sure they have been working damn hard. - as have their French, German, Czech, Spanish etc counterparts). The responsibility for the decisions taken rest firmly with Johnson and his bunch of useless cohorts.
  • Options
    https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/travel-how-much-do-covid-19-tests-upon-arrival-cost-in-different-eu-countries/

Extracts;

Germany may be one of the most expensive countries in Europe when it comes to testing upon arrival for travellers subject to such a requirement, as one test may cost between €128 and €150.

In Belgium, foreign travellers will have to pay up to €50 for one PCR test, and the results will be out between 24 or 36 hours though sometimes they take up to 48 hours. In very exceptional cases, the results for a COVID-19 test may take even 72 hours to be out.

Yet, those who do not have the time to wait can take a quick test that may cost up to €120.

France also offers COVID-19 tests that are cheaper than in some of its neighbouring countries, with a PCR test costing up to €50 and an antigen test up to €30.

In other countries, as in Malta and Lithuania, taking an antigen test for COVID-19 will cost a traveller between €33 and €43. In the Czech Republic, on the other hand, taking one PCR test costs about €57.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    That's OK @PrincessFiona, I don't expect you to supply the answers. I just don't want you to give this atrocious government a free pass (and BTW unlike some I retain a very high regard for the UK Civil Service, and I am sure they have been working damn hard. - as have their French, German, Czech, Spanish etc counterparts). The responsibility for the decisions taken rest firmly with Johnson and his bunch of useless cohorts.
    Thanks. Some people don't appreciate how much extra work there has been at all levels - or differentiate between 'the government' and the civil servants! That said, I don't think any government would have faired much better overall as it is unprecedented scenario and increase in work load. And remember, they are guided by the scientists who themselves don't all agree!

Most of the policies and guidance is actually done and agreed by the civil servants, not 'the government'. So although ultimately responsible, a lot of what upsets and angers people is actually decisions by the 'workers'. So whilst some like to blame the government, it is not so straightforward and would be the case whichever government was in place - I am saying this by being objective and removing any political beliefs I have personally.

I think it is more than fair to say there was insufficient planning for such a world-wide pandemic, but that makes some of the work that has been done all the more remarkable in the circumstances.

Not that it should change the outcome of the referendum, but the timing of Brexit alongside the pandemic as well as Afghanistan now makes an unprecedented scenario even more unprecedented!
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    MrWalker said:
    https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/travel-how-much-do-covid-19-tests-upon-arrival-cost-in-different-eu-countries/

Extracts;

Germany may be one of the most expensive countries in Europe when it comes to testing upon arrival for travellers subject to such a requirement, as one test may cost between €128 and €150.

In Belgium, foreign travellers will have to pay up to €50 for one PCR test, and the results will be out between 24 or 36 hours though sometimes they take up to 48 hours. In very exceptional cases, the results for a COVID-19 test may take even 72 hours to be out.

Yet, those who do not have the time to wait can take a quick test that may cost up to €120.

France also offers COVID-19 tests that are cheaper than in some of its neighbouring countries, with a PCR test costing up to €50 and an antigen test up to €30.

In other countries, as in Malta and Lithuania, taking an antigen test for COVID-19 will cost a traveller between €33 and €43. In the Czech Republic, on the other hand, taking one PCR test costs about €57.

That website should be treated with caution. It is not "fake" or malicious but it is set up by and run for non -EU citizens to help people who want to migrate in. Turks, Ukrainians etc. It's not Der Spiegel.

It does not at all explain that for EU citizens the tests are free (up to a certain reasonable limit per month) for all. We had free tests in Germany at the begiining of our holiday for example, in an accredited centre staffed by proper medics. No Zoom nonsenses.

Furthermore, while they have the cost right for Czech PCR tests, I was instantly suspicious of their costs for Germany. Sure enough it took me about 10 seconds to find an official test site website in Berlin  which showed that the standard price should be €70 ; but asa fully vaxxed EU resident I would not need it anyway, under current Covid situation and unvaxxed EU citizens would be able to get it for free (possibly with certain caveats)
  • Options
    ads said:
    In Ibiza no checks coming in and have to do a negative before leaving and you do it yourself obs don’t stick the stick all the way done your throat. Something about a Day 2 test getting home but pretty sure no one will follow that up 
    In theory that test in Ibiza isn't sufficient for returning to the UK as it isn't an effective test. A friend who is a travel consultant did theirs before leaving Mallorca and you had to do it on zoom or whatever so they see the test is done by the right person and properly.

My understanding is the day 2 tests ARE being followed up - don;' risk a £500 fine for the sake of a £50 test!

That said, for the Reading Festival you either need to have proof you are double vaccinated more than 14 days or a negative lateral flow test - the lateral flow test could have been done by anyone and may not have even been anywhere near tonsils or up anyone's nose; that's not going to be abused now is it?!
    We paid £28 for a day 2 test which seems like the market rate. Day 2 + 9 tests as required from amber countries were around £50.

The tests were posted to us, we did them at home in about 5 minutes and posted them back. We got the results in three days after posting (both negative) along with a certificate by email.

althougg we have not received any follow up calls, we did have to input our unique tests ID into the passenger locator form which was required before we flew back or we didn’t get on the plane. So I would also recommend organising one. 
    What company was that with, as am seeing £48 the minimum at the mo?
    https://www.expert-medicals.co.uk/

Green list or fully vaccinated from amber country day 2 kits £28
    whatever you do don't use that company, check the trustpilot reviews.  had a day 2 with them, arrived 10 days after ordering, results came back 2 weeks later, absolute waste of time!
    Ordered mine at the weekend, got a message this morning saying it will be delivered today via DPD. Have put it off until Friday, hopefully will turn up then! 
    Well, no problems at all using the Expert Medicals day 2 test reference number getting back into the country. Let's just see if it turns up tomorrow. 
  • Options

whatever you do don't use that company, check the trustpilot reviews.  had a day 2 with them, arrived 10 days after ordering, results came back 2 weeks later, absolute waste of time!
    Ordered mine at the weekend, got a message this morning saying it will be delivered today via DPD. Have put it off until Friday, hopefully will turn up then! 
    Well, no problems at all using the Expert Medicals day 2 test reference number getting back into the country. Let's just see if it turns up tomorrow. 
    https://www.which.co.uk/news/2021/08/travel-news-cheap-pcr-covid-19-test-discount-randox-express-test-c19-expert-medicals/?fbclid=IwAR2Io9As-GFoTHDLXjboRbegRTKQrrowl7QaMJ7Ea9ZqXYKB7VCjLKPREKk

Should I book a covid test with Expert Medicals? Is it a fully accredited provider? No. Expert Medicals was removed from the government’s list of Covid-19 testing firms for travel on 2 September. It is still legally allowed to sell tests but we recommend only booking with firms that are on the official government list.

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/news/2021/08/travel-news-cheap-pcr-covid-19-test-discount-randox-express-test-c19-expert-medicals/ - Which?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colthe3rd said:
    complete farce - creating a multi billion pound industry to come back into a country were 30/20% of the population are not jabbed and never will be........

heading to france on 11th - 18th september think i need a lateral flow whilst away and a pcr on day 2 of coming back - whats best places to get these

thanks in advance. 
    Money saving expert has a list of a few different places with discounts available https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/how-to-find-the-cheapest-private-coronavirus-tests-for-travel/

We're going to Italy in a couple of weeks and have to do an LFT before going as well as one out there and a PCR once we're back, quickly adds up.
    Boss and his family are all anti vaxxers there choice i suppose but the money on tests and isolation does really add up.

managed to get a lft and pcr on Day 2 for £76 which isn’t too bad. Heading to nice so will be spending a fortune whilst out there only saving grace is accommodation is free as mrs parents own an apartment 
  • Options
    iainment said:
    @PrincessFiona

Sorry but that's bollocks regarding the testing. If you visit France, for example, you can get a test done on the day you request it and get the result online that same evening. You go to a test centre - there's none of this posting nonsense.  I know because I've done it twice.

Compare that to what the UK government demand of visitors. I had to abandon plans of a trip to the UK two weeks ago because my Day 5 test would have fallen on a Saturday, having to assume that someone on my plane /  train tested positive on Day 2. In the UK it's difficult if not impossible to go and get tested on a Saturday, so I've been informed. Even then I wouldn't have got the result until Monday or Tuesday. I had to be back imperatively for the Monday so I called the whole idea off, again. 

Why aren't there simply 7 day testing centres where you can get same day results? Simply because the UK government doesn't give a shit about the public.

I am talking generally, not about one thing out of thousand. You have picked one thing out of thousands. I appreciate there are others but collectively it is like a ten fold increase in work load, so some things are going to give.

Using the term 'bollocks' and saying 'the UK government doesn't give a shit about the public' puts your comments, wording and attitude into perspective!

How can saying this testing procedure is bollocks (rubbish to put it nicely) and asserting that the government doesn't care about the public, which from my point of view is true, be putting my attitude into perspective? How do you define my attitude? Angry? You bloody bet I am. Overseas British citizens who just want to visit family are being treated like filth. I hate this government and I'm not afraid to say so. I may use strong words but they have never been so well-deserved. If I were to really display the way I feel then I would use far more swear words and bad language, believe me. These testing requirements of fully vaccinated visitors and the procedures that accompanies it is nothing but a complete shambles that makes travelling to the UK such an inconvenience that it becomes nigh-on impossible. How for example can you justify that for a period the UK differentiated between those vaccinated in the UK and those vaccinated elsewhere with the same vaccine. It was nothing but discriminatory.

What about your attitude? I can only assume that you work for the government. I think that you have a very off-hand attitude if you consider my case to be 'one thing out of a thousand?' What the hell are you talking about? There are 800,000 British citizens in France alone and all of us are having to put up with this shoddy treatment. I am therefore talking generally. I have no idea what you are talking about. What is this ten-fold increase in work-load that you are talking about? Perhaps it is the work-load of trying to use private companies as sub-contractors to do postal testing. What kind of nonsense is that? Can't the governement organise 7 day a week testing centres in every sizeable town that travellers are obliged to go to on Day 2, get tested and get the results. Instead they make the obligation and then make it extremely difficult to meet that obligation. If that's not displaying a contempt (to put it more politely) for the public then what is?

Lastly, what is an emergency in your opinion? Does for example my mother have to get to the state where she is actually already ten feet under before you will allow me to visit her. I am a British citizen and should be allowed to visit without all this shit. Don't you bloody insinuate that I have a bad attitude.
    You chose to live abroad away from your family. No one forced you.
    Even in the best of times travel can sometimes be difficult due to weather, strikes, failures of equipment etc.
    Own your circumstances don’t blame others.
    Bullshit. If his parents lived in Germany he would not have any of these problems ( visiting them from France) . Own the breathtaking incompetence and sheer unpleasantness of your government, dont blame fellow UK citizens.
    They’re  not “my” government I’ve never voted for a Tory in my life.
    When I lived abroad I accepted that this might cause me problems in getting back to the UK but accepted that was part of it. 
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    @jimmymelrose

Test to Release (paying extra to take a Day 5 test so that you can end quarantine after 5 days rather than 10) applies to passengers arriving from Amber list countries who aren't fully vaccinated. It has nothing to do with coming into close contact with anyone. If you are notified that you've come into close contact with someone, via the NHS app or as a result of being contacted directly, such as by an airline, then you have to self-isolate for 10 days from the date of contact. There is no Day 5 test option to reduce the number of days in isolation.

Regarding what is classed as a close contact, it definitely isn't the whole plane:

A contact in an aircraft sitting within two seats (in any direction) of the COVID-19 case, travel companions or persons providing care, and crew members serving in the section of the aircraft where the index case was seated (if severity of symptoms or movement of the case indicate more extensive exposure, passengers seated in the entire section or all passengers on the aircraft may be considered close contacts).

For train travel, I presume it's the same although, unless you're on Eurostar or another service where everyone has had to provide their contact details, it's entirely dependant on people having the NHS Track & Trace app. 

Thanks for the reply. I will come back to you later on this when I've calmed down from my last post!

Ok but in fact that puts us back to square one because although you first say that it's definitely not the whole plane you finally state that in some circumstances it could be the whole plane. When will the madness stop?

You did say one thing that has clarified although actually it makes things worse, that being that you can't do a Day 5 test for being in close contact. I hadn't understood it that way.

Actually I think @LargeAddick has the right idea. He suggested driving but it's a bloody long way and I'd hate to drive upon arrival on the left of the road in a left hand drive. Even in a right-hand drive I find myself flinching when cars go past because I'm not used to the narrow roads anymore.
    I'll have to ask him to send me the Tesco biscuits by post instead.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    @jimmymelrose

Test to Release (paying extra to take a Day 5 test so that you can end quarantine after 5 days rather than 10) applies to passengers arriving from Amber list countries who aren't fully vaccinated. It has nothing to do with coming into close contact with anyone. If you are notified that you've come into close contact with someone, via the NHS app or as a result of being contacted directly, such as by an airline, then you have to self-isolate for 10 days from the date of contact. There is no Day 5 test option to reduce the number of days in isolation.

Regarding what is classed as a close contact, it definitely isn't the whole plane:

A contact in an aircraft sitting within two seats (in any direction) of the COVID-19 case, travel companions or persons providing care, and crew members serving in the section of the aircraft where the index case was seated (if severity of symptoms or movement of the case indicate more extensive exposure, passengers seated in the entire section or all passengers on the aircraft may be considered close contacts).

For train travel, I presume it's the same although, unless you're on Eurostar or another service where everyone has had to provide their contact details, it's entirely dependant on people having the NHS Track & Trace app. 

Thanks for the reply. I will come back to you later on this when I've calmed down from my last post!

Ok but in fact that puts us back to square one because although you first say that it's definitely not the whole plane you finally state that in some circumstances it could be the whole plane. When will the madness stop?

You did say one thing that has clarified although actually it makes things worse, that being that you can't do a Day 5 test for being in close contact. I hadn't understood it that way.

Actually I think @LargeAddick has the right idea. He suggested driving but it's a bloody long way and I'd hate to drive upon arrival on the left of the road in a left hand drive. Even in a right-hand drive I find myself flinching when cars go past because I'm not used to the narrow roads anymore.
    I'll have to ask him to send me the Tesco biscuits by post instead.
    if that was a reference to the Butterkist, that's popcorn.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    @PrincessFiona

Even in the best of times travel can sometimes be difficult due to weather, strikes, failures of equipment etc.
    Bullshit. If his parents lived in Germany he would not have any of these problems ( visiting them from France) . Own the breathtaking incompetence and sheer unpleasantness of your government, dont blame fellow UK citizens.
    They’re  not “my” government I’ve never voted for a Tory in my life.
    When I lived abroad I accepted that this might cause me problems in getting back to the UK but accepted that was part of it. 
    Glad to hear about your voting record, and you’ll note that I didnt assume otherwise. Otherwise you’ve swerved it. Only the UK has this bizarre and irrational approach to entries from abroad ( including Brits returning from holiday). So its nothing to do with the act of “living abroad”. Some might think it’s the price for being traitorous enough to leave the UK, but its usually only Tories who think like that, so I will assume you dont. But then its reasonable for anyone to criticise their policies. Please read my post above, hopefully you’ll see there are ample grounds for criticism. Especially when even the Daily Mail is joining in.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    @PrincessFiona

Depends if your circumstances have changed due to others' actions and decisions rather than your own does it not, surely?

When I came to France in 2003 I did so with a backpack on an easyJet flight and stayed in a youth hostel while I looked for work. I went back for a weekend every 2 months. France was just another member state of the EU. I didn't need a visa. I just opened a bank account and rented a flat. It was as simple as  moving from California to Nevada. 

My circumstances changed due to personal choice of marriage and children so I accepted fewer visits to the UK. I repeat that I accepted that as a consequence of my choices.

Brexit and extreme Covid19 measures are things which I can not accept. They cannot be compared to weather and equipment failure. 

You can't say that no-one forced me. We are being forced. We are forced to abide to these new rules. They are unnecessarily being forced upon us. The rules are preventing us freedom of movement. Quite frankly if we are obliged to take a test, I don't even see why we should have to pay for it ourselves. It should be paid for by the government. Maybe I should get you to pay it and threaten to fine you if you don't. Then when you pay I'll say 'good, well done. Remember nobody forced you.'
  • Options

I think you are both being way too harsh but of course entitled to your opinions, no doubt from the heart if not also the head and I suspect political beliefs. The complications and factors vary vastly from country to country - if his parents were in Australia or New Zealand, he couldn't see them either. We could both give more examples. The government; the ministers and officials could have done better on some things, as well as can be expected on some and have done well on others.

A few things I can assure you; all of us have been affected in many ways and in different ways (some more than others), there are no solutions that will please and suit everyone, for example more lockdown suits some and less lockdown others. It is effectively a no win situation, especially as many will understandably be upset for personal reasons. And hindsight is a wonderful thing - more people seem to know what should have been done than piped up at the time.

Most of us are not scientists or even experts in the fields were are criticising, so don't fully understand the whole picture and concentrate on our our circumstances and feelings. Not even the scientists agree and for many, their political beliefs and the feelings running high over Brexit are influencing their feelings. Quite frankly, whether it  proves to be the right or wrong decision, the timing of Brexit makes the situation even more complicated for the UK, not exactly helped by the EU, for example their posturing (and stomping of their feet) over vaccines.

• Options
    iainment said:
    @PrincessFiona

Depends if your circumstances have changed due to others' actions and decisions rather than your own does it not, surely?

When I came to France in 2003 I did so with a backpack on an easyJet flight and stayed in a youth hostel while I looked for work. I went back for a weekend every 2 months. France was just another member state of the EU. I didn't need a visa. I just opened a bank account and rented a flat. It was as simple as  moving from California to Nevada. 

My circumstances changed due to personal choice of marriage and children so I accepted fewer visits to the UK. I repeat that I accepted that as a consequence of my choices.

Brexit and extreme Covid19 measures are things which I can not accept. They cannot be compared to weather and equipment failure. 

You can't say that no-one forced me. We are being forced. We are forced to abide to these new rules. They are unnecessarily being forced upon us. The rules are preventing us freedom of movement. Quite frankly if we are obliged to take a test, I don't even see why we should have to pay for it ourselves. It should be paid for by the government. Maybe I should get you to pay it and threaten to fine you if you don't. Then when you pay I'll say 'good, well done. Remember nobody forced you.'
    Why should the government pay for you? What are you putting in their pocket to entice them into doing that?

it’s not just our country that have draconian rules on travel. The US is shut unless you hang out in Mexico for a fortnight first and Biden won’t even discuss the travel ban.

In Singapore, if you’re an expat, before you return to the country, your employer has to apply for a visa for you. My mate has lived there for 8 years, kids are schooled there and has contributed greatly to their economy and society. He’s currently here but can’t get “home” because the Singapore government only release a certain amount of visas per month and there are none left for September. He’s hoping to get a visa for October but there’s no guarantees. And then he has to quarantine for a fortnight in a hotel. He’ll be lucky to be back with his wife and kids before November…..and he’s Charlton!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

What other rules don't you want to abide by? We don't get to pick and chose. You might not accept them but they are both happening, whether you like/accept/agree or not
  • Options
    ads said:
    In Ibiza no checks coming in and have to do a negative before leaving and you do it yourself obs don’t stick the stick all the way done your throat. Something about a Day 2 test getting home but pretty sure no one will follow that up 
    In theory that test in Ibiza isn't sufficient for returning to the UK as it isn't an effective test. A friend who is a travel consultant did theirs before leaving Mallorca and you had to do it on zoom or whatever so they see the test is done by the right person and properly.

My understanding is the day 2 tests ARE being followed up - don;' risk a £500 fine for the sake of a £50 test!

That said, for the Reading Festival you either need to have proof you are double vaccinated more than 14 days or a negative lateral flow test - the lateral flow test could have been done by anyone and may not have even been anywhere near tonsils or up anyone's nose; that's not going to be abused now is it?!
    We paid £28 for a day 2 test which seems like the market rate. Day 2 + 9 tests as required from amber countries were around £50.

The tests were posted to us, we did them at home in about 5 minutes and posted them back. We got the results in three days after posting (both negative) along with a certificate by email.

althougg we have not received any follow up calls, we did have to input our unique tests ID into the passenger locator form which was required before we flew back or we didn’t get on the plane. So I would also recommend organising one. 

Be grateful to know how things go. Off to Spain in a fortnight and not inclined to pay anymore than necessary for this Day2 PCR test farce. As long as I get the reference code for getting the flight back not that bothered about what happens afterwards. Anybody know what the actual follow up by the ‘authorities’ is in terms of checks on the timing etc of the test results?
  • Options
    Chaz Hill said:
    ads said:

Be grateful to know how things go. Off to Spain in a fortnight and not inclined to pay anymore than necessary for this Day2 PCR test farce. As long as I get the reference code for getting the flight back not that bothered about what happens afterwards. Anybody know what the actual follow up by the ‘authorities’ is in terms of checks on the timing etc of the test results?
    I posted earlier that they came off the approved list yesterday. That will be why people have been ok using then up until now, but noot on the approvedist from today.
  • Options

What other rules don't you want to abide by? We don't get to pick and chose. You might not accept them but they are both happening, whether you like/accept/agree or not

Don't be soft. How far do you take this?

Would, for example, you say the same to the women in Afghanistan?

'You don't get to pick and choose. You're not allowed to work anymore and that's that. What other rules don't you want to abide by?'

• Options
    Chaz Hill said:
    ads said:

I posted earlier that they came off the approved list yesterday. That will be why people have been ok using then up until now, but noot on the approvedist from today.
    May I ask exactly why you so approve of these measures? You will seem to defend the policies at any length. 

Oh, it's hard for everyone......
    The workload is difficult......
    Blah blah blah.........
  • Options
    jimmymelrose said:that is c

Don't be soft. How far do you take this?

Would, for example, you say the same to the women in Afghanistan?

'You don't get to pick and choose. You're not allowed to work anymore and that's that. What other rules don't you want to abide by?'

That is completely different. And I'm sure you know that
  • Options
    Chaz Hill said:
    ads said:

May I ask exactly why you so approve of these measures? You will seem to defend the policies at any length. 

Blah blah blah.........
    Is a perfectly justifiable reason for why things are far from ideal. 
  • Options
    Chaz Hill said:
    ads said:

Blah blah blah.........
    Is a perfectly justifiable reason for why things are far from ideal. 
    Are the tests free in France?   Do ou may anything toward your health care in France? I genuinely don't know which countries they are fee in
  • Options
    Chaz Hill said:
    ads said:

We returned from Spain a few weeks ago. We did the day 2 tests; sent them off; received our negative results; didn't have to post our results anywhere and heard no more. 
    We did our tests through Randox Health for £48 each (reduced to £43 each, as we flew with Ryanair). 

• Options
    Just done my Covid test to leave Ibiza 45 Euros. Pretty nervous waiting for result as bird said they send you to the Covid hotel that’s hell for 10 days if you fail ! Passed !