Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

You’re Not Fit To Wear The Shirt……

edited August 2021 in General Charlton
Let’s look at this chant, unfortunately the North Upper has latched onto this and feel it’s acceptable to chant this after not winning any of our first 5 competitive games. I think the largely youth element, and those that just join in have no idea of the true place for this chant and of it’s intended impact. 

Having been a fan for over 55 years, it’s a call out that is rarely used. It’s not aimed at poor sides, who can not over achieve, it’s not aimed at 100% percent triers where it just isn’t enough, it’s not aimed at kids learning the game, basically a pretty rare situation. In my view we can, if these are put in front us choose to Boo, or just leave early, finishing a game to a empty stadium says more to the team, and management than any chanting. 

Let’s save the “Not fit to wear the shirt” chant for those games where we have players who don’t, care, can’t be bothered, want to leave, couldn’t give dam about the club or the fans?  An that was not the players who turned out yesterday… by any stretch of the imagination.

The booing and finishing to an empty stadium may have been warranted, but “Not fit to wear the shirt”  was unwarranted and can only make things worse. Showing our dissatisfaction with the team in front of us is acceptable, BLAMING the players for that situation is currently in my view NOT acceptable.

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2021
    The only time I have ever sung it was, funny enough the only time I have sat in the North upper although I don't think the two are related.  The Wycombe cup game, if you can call it a game.

That game was also memorable for a "super Alan Pardew" chant, sometimes you do have to be careful what you wish for. 
  • Options
    I'd prefer it if we went for 'you're a product of a substandard transfer policy, and years of mismanagement, so I can't really blame you for wearing the shirt' please. 
    I think this has a ring to it…..  !
  • Options
    You’re 
    Amended to satisfy your grammatical OCD Dave thanks for the correction. 😊
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The only time I have ever sung it was, funny enough the only time I have sat in the North upper although I don't think the two are related.  The Wycombe cup game, if you can call it a game.

That game was also memorable for a "super Alan Pardew" chant, sometimes you do have to be careful what you wish for. 
    I sing it everytime there is a Doris with a pair that I know Hugh hefner would appreciate
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

I sing it everytime there is a Doris with a pair that I know Hugh hefner would appreciate
    I mean, I used to sing it but the court appearances aren't worth it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Its
  • Options
    Let’s look at this chant, unfortunately the North Upper has latched onto this and feel it’s acceptable to chant this after not winning any of our first 5 competitive games. I think the largely youth element, and those that just join in have no idea of the true place for this chant and of it’s intended impact. 

Having been a fan for over 55 years, it’s a call out that is rarely used. It’s not aimed at poor sides, who can not over achieve, it’s not aimed at 100% percent triers where it just isn’t enough, it’s not aimed at kids learning the game, basically a pretty rare situation. In my view we can, if these are put in front us choose to Boo, or just leave early, finishing a game to a empty stadium says more to the team, and management than any chanting. 

Let’s save the “Not fit to wear the shirt” chant for those games where we have players who don’t, care, can’t be bothered, want to leave, couldn’t give dam about the club or the fans?  An that was not the players who turned out yesterday… by any stretch of the imagination.

The booing and finishing to an empty stadium may have been warranted, but “Not fit to wear the shirt”  was unwarranted and can only make things worse. Showing our dissatisfaction with the team in front of us is acceptable, BLAMING the players for that situation is currently in my view NOT acceptable.

The 08/09 championship relegation side I hated.
    They didn't give a shit. 

This current lot tries at least but they just ain't good enough
    I agree to an extent but really think even 2/3 quality additions will see the best of the other players who thus far haven’t been up to it. 
  • Options
    I didn't join in as i'd left 15 minutes earlier. 
    Like you @RaplhMilne i've been going for over 50 years and i just knew what was going to happen
  • Options
    I agree to some extent.  There are some in the squad who genuinely don’t deserve to wear the shirt but it’s not their fault that they are in the squad. However there are others like Matthews, Gunter and Watson who I will take a great deal of persuading that they really give a f… and are just collecting a wage in the absence of a better offer. The difficult bit is applying a generalisation that covers those like Elewere who we are trying to nurture or Kirk who has only just beamed up (sorry). I get what the chant means but it’s a blanket charge which is a problem. 
  • Options
    In the words of the Style Council

"You're the worst team thats ever happened,
    to me you're the worst..."
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Well the polls suggest that TS is the most maligned person in all this (not Adkins or the players) - so maybe it should be ‘You’re not fit to buy the club’

With a second verse of ‘but thanks for saving us as otherwise there wouldn’t be a Charlton’. Ensuring happy clappers and negatives are equally satisfied.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree with the OP.
    Also thought it very harsh to start “Who the effing hell are you?” when Kirk had an early touch. Then I realised it was because Wigan fans had just piped up. I hope Kirk realised that too! 😉
  • Options
    Like to see the singers of this song do better. 
  • Options
    I’m only just about fit enough to wear the shirt but a medium is starting to pull. 
  • Options
    This is nowhere near the worst team we have ever had.

I think that CAFC supporters have short memories if they have forgotten how this cycle starts and ends.

Remember when we were first relegated when we came down from the Prem?

We had a team that had any confidence that it could have had destroyed by the hostility of the home crowd.  The Valley atmosphere became toxic and as soon as a player made a mistake, the abuse started.

The result? A nervous team that then made more errors, got more abuse etc. on and on.  To relegation.

Now, we may not be playing very well, but we'll play even worse if we completely destroy the confidence of our emerging young players and make them afraid to try anything creative on the pitch in case it goes wrong.

When fans and players are divided, results go to shit and any chances that you might have had of breaking the vicious cycle disappear leading to disaster.

Show some patience, please; I don't want the Valley to become a negative, toxic place for our players because it only helps those who wish to see us fail.
    This. 
  • Options
    Fortress Valley has become Kabul airport. 
  • Options
    One thing is for sure . TS is not fit to play the guitar until he sorts out the recruitment side of things. I think he should be forced to play the Ukelele in front of a full covered end!
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    You get praise, admiration and for some, worship like chants and songs when you’re a particular talent (Kermorgant/Jensen) or put in the shift and run through a wall for the club (Kishishev/Semedo/Johnny Robinson).

But you take the flip side when the chips are down.  I don’t see an issue personally.  Doesn’t mean I don’t see the argument against it, I just feel the fans are more than entitled to air their feelings about the team, just as long as it doesn’t get personal, and start singling out individuals.