Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

You’re Not Fit To Wear The Shirt……

Comments

• Options
    Compromise; you're not quite good enough to wear the shirt. 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    You get praise, admiration and for some, worship like chants and songs when you’re a particular talent (Kermorgant/Jensen) or put in the shift and run through a wall for the club (Kishishev/Semedo/Johnny Robinson).

But you take the flip side when the chips are down.  I don’t see an issue personally.  Doesn’t mean I don’t see the argument against it, I just feel the fans are more than entitled to air their feelings about the team, just as long as it doesn’t get personal, and start singling out individuals.
    But then how does that work if you're not going to single out players.
    Imagine being McGillivary Saturday night, a
     mate asks how you got on.
    I thought I played well , the fans sang Charlton s no1 for 3 quarters of the game.
    Then at the end their chanting "you're not fit to wear the shirt"
    Or Charlie Kirk to a mate
    Blimey I've played 1 full game and I'm getting you're not fit to wear the shirt.
    I don’t know, there’s no perfect scenario, maybe it is a little stupid.  I’m just of the opinion that the fans singing “you’re not fit to wear the shirt” isn’t that bad.
  • Options
    My take is the chant is more directed at the ownership/ management, driving it home to them in no uncertain terms the team ain’t good enough and investment is needed pronto.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    cs1986 said:
    cs1986 said:
    Well said @RaplhMilne

i thought it was pretty w*nky, particularly being sung at MK Dons during the week. 

To me it’s something to be sung at the nadir or the season, 4-0 down away to some crap club when you’re 19th in the league in Feb and going nowhere. 

Never in August. 

Our fanbase has been through the mill more than others, The support for the majority of the game until they scored was fantastic. We are just ‘turning the other way’ too easily and quickly now though imo 
    It was started at MK Dons by the same group of fans that had brought the drum and started 99% of the positive chants throughout the whole game. I was part of it and thought it was 100% deserved. The second half was abysmal and tactics inept.
    that's not the fault of the players

you're not fit to pick the team is more accurate imho.
    It's both really. The players are not close to being good enough and the tactics compound this. We are never going to score goals like we concede as our striker has no pace or finishing ability with his feet. He wins so much in the air but has no one around him. Dobson and Clare are poor league 1 players. Morgan is out of position. Matthews and Gunter are not good enough and don't care. Innis looks poor to me this season and like cart horse. Washington is not a winger in a million years. 
    I wonder what percentage of goals are scored after a long ball to the a big fella upfront. 
    0 at present as we have a penalty and a cross from a free kick as our goals!
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    You get praise, admiration and for some, worship like chants and songs when you’re a particular talent (Kermorgant/Jensen) or put in the shift and run through a wall for the club (Kishishev/Semedo/Johnny Robinson).

But you take the flip side when the chips are down.  I don’t see an issue personally.  Doesn’t mean I don’t see the argument against it, I just feel the fans are more than entitled to air their feelings about the team, just as long as it doesn’t get personal, and start singling out individuals.
    But then how does that work if you're not going to single out players.
    Imagine being McGillivary Saturday night, a
     mate asks how you got on.
    I thought I played well , the fans sang Charlton s no1 for 3 quarters of the game.
    Then at the end their chanting "you're not fit to wear the shirt"
    Or Charlie Kirk to a mate
    Blimey I've played 1 full game and I'm getting you're not fit to wear the shirt.
    I don’t know, there’s no perfect scenario, maybe it is a little stupid.  I’m just of the opinion that the fans singing “you’re not fit to wear the shirt” isn’t that bad.
    I agree with you that it aint that bad. And for all the moaning about the people doing it they would also be moaning if the same people didn't create an atmosphere at the Valley.

• Options
    Not read the whole thread- its definitely frustrating watching at the moment with absolutely nothing to get you excited on the pitch in the way of shots/chances. I have never booed, and I will not sing that not fit chant. What i will say is, 95% of the people singing it on Saturday will be stumping up their hard earned cash at the next home game, and giving 100% support to cheer the team on for 90 minutes (or most of 90 minutes) to hopefully some success.If these guys weren't there week in week out, supporting Charlton through a bad patch would be even more soul destroying. 

• Options
    I think the "we're fucking shit" ditty was much more accurate tbf. Straight to the point and factual! It's clear the players are trying, but they just aren't very good at the moment. Maybe they'll turn it around, maybe they won't, we'll see. Was saying after the game how excited TS was about seeing fans back in the stadium. Guess he didn't imagine that kind of reaction though haha! Goes both ways mate. 
  • Options
    cs1986 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    cs1986 said:
    cs1986 said:
    Well said @RaplhMilne

i thought it was pretty w*nky, particularly being sung at MK Dons during the week. 

To me it’s something to be sung at the nadir or the season, 4-0 down away to some crap club when you’re 19th in the league in Feb and going nowhere. 

Never in August. 

Our fanbase has been through the mill more than others, The support for the majority of the game until they scored was fantastic. We are just ‘turning the other way’ too easily and quickly now though imo 
    It was started at MK Dons by the same group of fans that had brought the drum and started 99% of the positive chants throughout the whole game. I was part of it and thought it was 100% deserved. The second half was abysmal and tactics inept.

It's both really. The players are not close to being good enough and the tactics compound this. We are never going to score goals like we concede as our striker has no pace or finishing ability with his feet. He wins so much in the air but has no one around him. Dobson and Clare are poor league 1 players. Morgan is out of position. Matthews and Gunter are not good enough and don't care. Innis looks poor to me this season and like cart horse. Washington is not a winger in a million years. 
    I wonder what percentage of goals are scored after a long ball to the a big fella upfront. 
    Penalty from a corner and a Dead Ball, who put them in? 
  • Options
    cs1986 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    cs1986 said:
    cs1986 said:
    Well said @RaplhMilne

Never in August. 

Morgan assisted them both. Why? I like Morgan mate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    YTS1978 said:
    I think the "we're fucking shit" ditty was much more accurate tbf. 

This is quite funny though as it's like we are taking the micky out of ourselves as a club. You'e not fit to wear the shirt is aimed purley at the players so may be quite demotivating for them. (not saying anyone hasn't got a right t
    o give their opinion in any way they want, just feel it may be construed as more negative)
  • Options
    cs1986 said:
    cs1986 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    cs1986 said:
    cs1986 said:
    Well said @RaplhMilne

Never in August. 

I was being ironic mate as I think he's a great little player being absolute rinsed by fans due to the lack of personnel around him. 
  • Options
    I agree with the original post and thought the same - that it came from a younger element who don’t understand the magnitude and gravity of the chant. For a normal football club (like ours) that should be around a 1 in every 10-15 year event and reserved for a team that doesn’t give a shit - not this bunch. 
  • Options
    … and yes you’ve a got the right to chant what you want but I’ve got the right to deem whatever you chant as inappropriate and disproportionate 
  • Options
    cs1986 said:
    cs1986 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    cs1986 said:
    cs1986 said:
    Well said @RaplhMilne

Never in August. 

I was being ironic mate as I think he's a great little player being absolute rinsed by fans due to the lack of personnel around him. 
    Completely agree mate. He would be much better playing deeper as well. And he has no outlet to play balls as no one is looking to run in behind the defences.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    cs1986 said:
    cs1986 said:
    cs1986 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    cs1986 said:
    cs1986 said:
    Well said @RaplhMilne

Never in August. 

Completely agree mate. He would be much better playing deeper as well. And he has no outlet to play balls as no one is looking to run in behind the defences.
    100%, see my previous post in the Albie Morgan thread, it pretty much states what you posted. 
  • Options
    cs1986 said:
    cs1986 said:
    cs1986 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    cs1986 said:
    cs1986 said:
    Well said @RaplhMilne

Never in August. 

100%, see my previous post in the Albie Morgan thread, it pretty much states what you posted. 
    I will take a look pal.
  • Options
    Belv said:
    Wondered how long it would take for a “it’s the fan’s fault” thread to be created.

Almost as predictable as Charlton’s game plan.
    Grow up, no one's "blaming" fans.  Just pointing out that it's a chant best used when it's deserved when it's an issue of players not putting in the effort. It's a chant that you can't take back even if we start winning.  A good booing just goes with a performance and would have been just as effective. 

The vocal support during the game was fantastic and no player showed any lack of effort or commitment.  For that reason the chant was wrong and the leaders who started it were wrong, but understand they probably couldn't think of anything else to express the level of frustration we all feel.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Theres been about 7 shots on target across the 5 games this season, and ppl are wondering why some of the chants are a bit blunt????
    .......and two of those were in the Crossbar Challenge!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2021
    This booing when Wigan scored and now a default at the end of a game whenever we lose is embarrassing. Singing ‘you’re not fit to wear the shirt’ is also embarrassing. There’s a time and a place for it. We all know that the team isn’t good enough and the manager has acknowledged that. Let’s see what happens between now and the end of the window… nothing is won or lost in 4 games 
    Les Reed only had 8!
    Karel Fraeye just 7!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Didn’t Karel Fraeye get out of it by playing 4-left backs in one game, a patented formation that nobody has even tried since. I mean we don’t even have the staff for it nowadays unless TS signs up some more Roddies
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Compromise; you're not quite good enough to wear the shirt. 
    Or more positively "with continued improvement you may potentially be good enough to wear the shirt"
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    I think the "we're fucking shit" ditty was much more accurate tbf. 

This is quite funny though as it's like we are taking the micky out of ourselves as a club. You'e not fit to wear the shirt is aimed purley at the players so may be quite demotivating for them. (not saying anyone hasn't got a right t
    o give their opinion in any way they want, just feel it may be construed as more negative)
    Yeah, have to agree that was pure gallows humour. The "you're not fit..." chant was harsh, but I wouldn't knock the people singing it, if that's how they felt at the time.
  • Options
    Oldham fans were protesting last night by throwing tennis balls on the pitch.   Aaaagggh, memories!
  • Options
    It doesn’t matter what the fans sing 
    let’s not forget we’d have done sooo much better at home last year if the fans were in 
    well they’re back and we’re shit 
    why’s  that , well because we are massively shit atm
    we can sing as long as we like it’s not gonna make the shit players good or the good players bad .
    Its all about how good they are or will become with grafting and coaching at the training ground .
    if it was about fans support , Sunderland and Pompey would be in leagues above 

• Options
    let’s not forget we’d have done sooo much better at home last year if the fans were in 
    I know right? We've never been relegated in seasons with fans in the ground!
  • Options
    Football fans getting the hump and singing songs when their team is playing shite.
    Who'd a thought it. 
    Dread to think what they will sing if we go a couple down at Gillingham. 
  • Options
    Football fans getting the hump and singing songs when their team is playing shite.
    Who'd a thought it. 
    “physical endurance acceptable but technical ability and tactical awareness currently lacking to wear the shirt” 
  • Options
    Who'd a thought it. 
    “physical endurance acceptable but technical ability and tactical awareness currently lacking to wear the shirt” 
    Crap song.
    It doesn't rhyme 😊