Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

You’re Not Fit To Wear The Shirt……

Comments

• Options
    Will be interesting to see if TS is at the Crewe game with the close of the window a few days later. Could be messy 😕
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Stig said:
    Beyond the self-entitled "I've paid my money, I can sing what I like" excuse, I'd like to know what purpose it serves. What possible good does anyone think will come of singing it?  
    The booing (Not so much the "fitness to wear the shirt" song), tells the media that we are not happy with the current situation. They've picked up on the dissent at the Valley and raised it in interviews with NA.
    It tells NA that we are not happy and that he needs to change things.
    It tells TS that we are not happy and that he need to fund NA.

All in all I think it serves a purpose, it creates pressure for something to happen. If we sat on our hands it would delay progress.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Wondered how long it would take for a “it’s the fan’s fault” thread to be created.

Almost as predictable as Charlton’s game plan.
  • Options
    Theres been about 7 shots on target across the 5 games this season, and ppl are wondering why some of the chants are a bit blunt????
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The only time I have ever sung it was, funny enough the only time I have sat in the North upper although I don't think the two are related.  The Wycombe cup game, if you can call it a game.

That game was also memorable for a "super Alan Pardew" chant, sometimes you do have to be careful what you wish for. 

Haha.  Read the first post and all I could think was the one player who deserved this song above all others.  Amdy Faye. Mainly for that game. Passing the ball off the pitch and just shrugging his shoulders.
  • Options
    Fortress Valley has become Kabul airport. 

Thought there were queues of people trying to get into Kabul airport?
  • Options
    Well said @RaplhMilne

i thought it was pretty w*nky, particularly being sung at MK Dons during the week. 

To me it’s something to be sung at the nadir or the season, 4-0 down away to some crap club when you’re 19th in the league in Feb and going nowhere. 

Never in August. 

Our fanbase has been through the mill more than others, The support for the majority of the game until they scored was fantastic. We are just ‘turning the other way’ too easily and quickly now though imo 
    It was started at MK Dons by the same group of fans that had brought the drum and started 99% of the positive chants throughout the whole game. I was part of it and thought it was 100% deserved. The second half was abysmal and tactics inept.
  • Options
    You get praise, admiration and for some, worship like chants and songs when you’re a particular talent (Kermorgant/Jensen) or put in the shift and run through a wall for the club (Kishishev/Semedo/Johnny Robinson).

But you take the flip side when the chips are down.  I don’t see an issue personally.  Doesn’t mean I don’t see the argument against it, I just feel the fans are more than entitled to air their feelings about the team, just as long as it doesn’t get personal, and start singling out individuals.
    Kishishev got pelters from a significant section of our support.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Beyond the self-entitled "I've paid my money, I can sing what I like" excuse, I'd like to know what purpose it serves. What possible good does anyone think will come of singing it?  
    They don't think, that's the problem.
  • Options
    Tbh I find it strange.
    I could understand if there had been silence all game and they then started.
    But the crowd was behind the team all game until Wigan scored.
    No gradual decline.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Tbh I find it strange.
    No gradual decline.

Agree.
    Two large ladies 88 was when they turned.
    From the more laid back West stand, where some folk read books this season during the game; the sound of support from the Covered end was decent, and the Players were trying even though we never looked like scoring, and Craig MacGillivray, had kept the score level with some good reflex saves, I counted 5.

We have some top CL guys who watch from the upper North, how many joined in with the potty mouth rendition which must be so deflating for players who are struggling anyway.
    Is it the normal crowd dynamics where a couple of leaders dictate to the sheep ?

• Options
    clb74 said:
    Tbh I find it strange.
    No gradual decline.

Agree.
    From the more laid back West stand, where some folk read books this season during the game; the sound of support from the Covered end was decent, and the Players were trying even though we never looked like scoring, and Craig MacGillivray, had kept the score level with some good reflex saves, I counted 5.

We have some top CL guys who watch from the upper North, how many joined in with the potty mouth rendition which must be so deflating for players who are struggling anyway.
    Is it the normal crowd dynamics where a couple of leaders dictate to the sheep ?

I werent there Saturday but at MK it was started by the 'leaders' who had started 99% of songs for the team. However there was anger from all around the away end. 
  • Options
    cs1986 said:
    Well said @RaplhMilne

i thought it was pretty w*nky, particularly being sung at MK Dons during the week. 

To me it’s something to be sung at the nadir or the season, 4-0 down away to some crap club when you’re 19th in the league in Feb and going nowhere. 

Never in August. 

Our fanbase has been through the mill more than others, The support for the majority of the game until they scored was fantastic. We are just ‘turning the other way’ too easily and quickly now though imo 
    It was started at MK Dons by the same group of fans that had brought the drum and started 99% of the positive chants throughout the whole game. I was part of it and thought it was 100% deserved. The second half was abysmal and tactics inept.
    that's not the fault of the players

you're not fit to pick the team is more accurate imho.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    cs1986 said:
    Well said @RaplhMilne

Never in August. 

It's both really. The players are not close to being good enough and the tactics compound this. We are never going to score goals like we concede as our striker has no pace or finishing ability with his feet. He wins so much in the air but has no one around him. Dobson and Clare are poor league 1 players. Morgan is out of position. Matthews and Gunter are not good enough and don't care. Innis looks poor to me this season and like cart horse. Washington is not a winger in a million years. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    People are angry & pissed off, is it entitlement to have a team that has a chance of promotion in the third div? After we’ve been told ‘we would blow the league away’ and ‘we would do a hull’ we’re not even getting shots on target never mind goals. How are fans supposed to get the message over that they’re not happy? I didn’t sing it because I don’t think it helps, but I don’t think the thousands of people who did sing it are wrong. Then to tweet the fans to say we must support the team! Outside of CAFC “Dave” TS is being seen as a bit of idiot, the way things are going I’m starting to agree. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    This reminds me of a visit to Selfridges and visiting the Armani section where I enquired about a shirt. He’s response was “its slim fit sir”! …I walked away trying to hold in my beer gut.

I would not get upset if the Selfridges Armani staff or the cupboard end started singing to me “You’re not slim fit to wear the shirt” but I would get embarrassed. ☺️
  • Options
    cs1986 said:
    clb74 said:
    Tbh I find it strange.
    No gradual decline.

Agree.

I werent there Saturday but at MK it was started by the 'leaders' who had started 99% of songs for the team. However there was anger from all around the away end. 

Cheers CS, I guess I knew the answer having been to enough away games to have seen and heard the one second where support changes to venom normally after conceding a goal during a game and yelling abuse at the players when the game is finished. Normally the loudest with the support (leaders) are the ones who turn.
    Quid pro quo, in you get great support at times but dogs abuse at others.
    Not a good look 4 games in by the minority at the valley or 3 games in by some at MK Dons. 

The MK Dons game was a game of two halves. First half good for the first 20 and last 10 minutes of that half but woeful and clueless in the second half. If it had been the other way round like the Wigan away game in 2019/20 season when Cafc were 2-0 down and useless 1st half but had a storming last 25 minutes or so, and at least created 4 half chances though they all went begging.  Having a better 2nd half negates the worst of the chants.
  • Options
    cs1986 said:
    clb74 said:
    Tbh I find it strange.
    No gradual decline.

Agree.

Cheers CS, I guess I knew the answer having been to enough away games to have seen and heard the one second where support changes to venom normally after conceding a goal during a game and yelling abuse at the players when the game is finished. Normally the loudest with the support (leaders) are the ones who turn.
    Quid pro quo, in you get great support at times but dogs abuse at others.
    Not a good look 4 games in by the minority at the valley or 3 games in by some at MK Dons. 

The MK Dons game was a game of two halves. First half good for the first 20 and last 10 minutes of that half but woeful and clueless in the second half. If it had been the other way round like the Wigan away game in 2019/20 season when Cafc were 2-0 down and useless 1st half but had a storming last 25 minutes or so, and at least created 4 half chances though they all went begging.  Having a better 2nd half negates the worst of the chants.
    I understood it at MK more than I do the Wigan at home. MK are tiny and not even a proper club they are a franchise. They have no support from the fans and small attendance. Yet they sign Parrott and Eisa and Twinne which says it all about our investment in the squad to me. The players aren't good enough and that is what I guess is meant by the not fit to wear the shirt and not that they don't try. It was also a majority of who was left at MK. I think a lot of it is down to how shocked we all are at how fucking shit we really are in the 3rd tier of English football.
  • Options
    The performance might not have been great, but the chant was unfair. Especially as we were just ONE NIL down at time to a good team, and even though I had no expectation we would equalise, it could still have happened

Suppose we had scored to equalise, would the chants have changed back again?

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Interesting that we can call segments of the fanbase entitled to the point where they chant this stuff. A lot of the younger support are prominent in starting the chants, and if they are in their late teens/early 20s they would have been very little kids or not even born in our last prem season. To them, our premier league years fall into this nebulous "good old days" era that they have no personal experience of. All they would have personally seen is a club bouncing between league 1 and the championship so you would think that would dampen any entitled feelings as to where they think Charlton should be. 
  • Options
    cs1986 said:
    cs1986 said:
    Well said @RaplhMilne

Never in August. 

It's both really. The players are not close to being good enough and the tactics compound this. We are never going to score goals like we concede as our striker has no pace or finishing ability with his feet. He wins so much in the air but has no one around him. Dobson and Clare are poor league 1 players. Morgan is out of position. Matthews and Gunter are not good enough and don't care. Innis looks poor to me this season and like cart horse. Washington is not a winger in a million years. 
    I wonder what percentage of goals are scored after a long ball to the a big fella upfront. 
  • Options
     A galling chant. Despite the current frustration I don't think it's justified at the moment. Have only used it twice in over 40 years following the club - after the Wycombe cup defeat when we were a Prem club, and I said it to El-Hadji Ba in the car park after a pre-season friendly!