Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Hungary / Andorra / Poland

Comments

• Options
    Disappointing to concede so late but to be honest that's the toughest game of the entire group and we've got a draw. We're 4 points clear of 2nd, and we've got 2 home games plus Andorra and San Marino away. We'll qualify easily.

Poland are celebrating like they've won the world cup and they're sat in third behind Albania!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Anyone questioning why Bellingham doesn't start should have their answer tonight.  If they didn't already. 
    He's young and has plenty of itme but I'm not entirely sure we need to play 2 DM's against lesser opposition. When it comes to better teams next year I really hope we go 4231 and playing Rice and Phillips is probably the way to go then to be fair. 
    Like I have said before, you can't just rock up against Germany in the last 16 and hope it works.  It worked because we played it before hand.  The Grealish Shaw partnership needs a hell of a lot of work, fully expect them to both play in the "easy" home games. 
  • Options
    Thought Rice and Phillips were absolutely brilliant in that 2nd half. Disappointed to concede after being the only team in the 2nd half but we didn't really trouble Szczesny barring our goal.
  • Options
    Rice has got the potential to be one of the best CM in the world. I think in the summer clubs will be fighting over him 
  • Options
    Emma Hayes sounds like a female Glenn Hoddle
  • Options
    Why would you not make 1 or 2 subs to kill the flow of the game & get some fresh legs on.  Sterling had run his self in to the ground and it was obvious his tank had run out. Sako could have been brought on for a new out ball to drag Poland back. 

I think Southgate has done a good job assembling the team but is it arrogance or stupidity not to kill time at the end. 

• Options
    Kane’s goal reminded me a bit of the long shots Amos conceded last season. A good shot, but you’d hope the keeper would get a hand to it
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Emma Hayes sounds like a female Glenn Hoddle
    She talks a lot of sense.
  • Options
    Rice has got the potential to be one of the best CM in the world. I think in the summer clubs will be fighting over him 
    Improving greatly but not in the Kante or Jorginho class yet.

Leaving Spammers will improve him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lots of people calling for Phillips to be subbed at HT on account of his booking. Thought he was our best player 2nd half. With the talent available from the bench I thought Southgate could have put some fresh legs on. Oh well a point is not a disaster. Onwards and upwards 
  • Options
    It isn't easy for a keeper when it swerves away like that. It catches them out as they set themselves for a straight shot.
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Improving greatly but not in the Kante or Jorginho class yet.

Leaving Spammers will improve him.
    I honestly don’t think he’s far off, especially Jorginho. 

Rarely has a bad game and is a massive presence in the middle of the park.
  • Options
    Southgate our weakest performer again really. Henderson on for Mount maybe. No subs seems strange and a last minute equaliser does him no favours. 

I still think we are the best international team in the world at the moment and will only get better. We seemed a bit cautious as we knew a draw would be fine. Certainly a lot more gears to go through if it really mattered. 

Cruising to Qatar.
    I agree, but seeing it written down, man that’s exciting.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Poles had 5 fresh legs on starting from about 60th minutes. Surely conceding late goals is inevitable if you don't make a few changes in response to that
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Anyone questioning why Bellingham doesn't start should have their answer tonight.  If they didn't already. 
    He's young and has plenty of itme but I'm not entirely sure we need to play 2 DM's against lesser opposition. When it comes to better teams next year I really hope we go 4231 and playing Rice and Phillips is probably the way to go then to be fair. 
    Like I have said before, you can't just rock up against Germany in the last 16 and hope it works.  It worked because we played it before hand.  The Grealish Shaw partnership needs a hell of a lot of work, fully expect them to both play in the "easy" home games. 
    No that's true but let's not forget we changed shape every single game at the Euros anyway. Definitely agree about the Shaw/Grealish partnership and building partnerships is what qualifiers should be all about. Not convinced Grealish is a better bet than Sterling there. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Southgate's attitude with subs is v strange.
    I'm stupid to keep voicing my opinion on Southgate as I keep getting pelters but I'm going to say it again and the duck lol

Southall is a lucky man as he has a world class squad of players that literally anyone who could write names on a team sheet would get results. Yes ok before you all say he has reached a world cup semi final and a euro final but I honestly think he is so lacking in terms of tactical nous. My answer to those that keep saying the above re tourney results imo a better manager with this group would have won the bloody tournaments lol
    Completely agree
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Both the world class strikers on show tonight did some magic. Harry with his goal and Lewandowski with the sublime cross.

1-1 was a fair result. England cruising to Qatar and Poland used their subs well. 
  • Options
    2nd half I thought Shaw/Grealish linked up well. Thought the weaker side was Walker and Sterling. Seemed to have a lesser understanding, especially on the overlap. Sterling was 1v1 and Walker didn’t know whether to go or stay. 

Grand’ scheme of things, these games are the ones that highlight anything that needs improvement rather than two Bob friendlies a month before a major tournament.
  • Options
    Thought we played well. Personally would have made different subs, but hey ho! 
  • Options
    Southgate our weakest performer again really. Henderson on for Mount maybe. No subs seems strange and a last minute equaliser does him no favours. 

I still think we are the best international team in the world at the moment and will only get better. We seemed a bit cautious as we knew a draw would be fine. Certainly a lot more gears to go through if it really mattered. 

Cruising to Qatar.
    Just worries me that he never seems to learn from his mistakes. 

Draw away at Poland is a decent enough way to finish this international break, it's just be manner in which we drew is disappointing.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Southgate's attitude with subs is v strange.
    I'm stupid to keep voicing my opinion on Southgate as I keep getting pelters but I'm going to say it again and the duck lol

Southall is a lucky man as he has a world class squad of players that literally anyone who could write names on a team sheet would get results. Yes ok before you all say he has reached a world cup semi final and a euro final but I honestly think he is so lacking in terms of tactical nous. My answer to those that keep saying the above re tourney results imo a better manager with this group would have won the bloody tournaments lol
    Totally agree
  • Options
    I would have liked Sancho or Sako on for Sterling and Bellingham for Mount. What an athlete Phillips is! Rice is very decent as well. Overall we let a rather weak Poland side get a point but have to admit Lewandowski is different class.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    No that's true but let's not forget we changed shape every single game at the Euros anyway. Definitely agree about the Shaw/Grealish partnership and building partnerships is what qualifiers should be all about. Not convinced Grealish is a better bet than Sterling there. 
    And we played all those shapes in qualifying last time.  San Marino at home, last autumn, was the first time Rice and Phillips played together and the first time we played 3 at the back since the world cup semi.   Every day is a school day with this England team. 
  • Options
    2121 said:
    Thought we played well. Personally would have made different subs, but hey ho! 
    By different subs do you mean you would have actually made some?

Really like Southgate and what he has done but he does seem very reticent to make subs. Fresh legs were needed there. He regularly doesn't make subs or makes them very late in games.

Decent game and some exciting play however.