Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Hungary / Andorra / Poland

Comments

• Options
    Sterling doesn’t do enough tackling back for me, IMO should have been subbed 15 mins from time.
  • Options
    Who would people have? Getting rid of Southgate would ruffle feathers amongst the squad, and then does the replacement have the man management skills to cope with that and not let their own ego get in the way.
    I don't think there's anyone else you could bring in purely for the fact that we don't want to rock the boat of the culture in the squad.

I do think he'd benefit from an experienced head with him behind the scenes though.
  • Options
    Personally, I'd like to see a more positive manager, but Southgate did enough in the World Cup to keep his job, he did enough in the Euros and he has done enough in the qualifiers he has managed us in so it isn't going to happen. And whilst he isn't for me, nor should it until he starts underperforming like Hodgson who got chance after chance.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Who would people have? Getting rid of Southgate would ruffle feathers amongst the squad, and then does the replacement have the man management skills to cope with that and not let their own ego get in the way.
    I don't think there's anyone else you could bring in purely for the fact that we don't want to rock the boat of the culture in the squad.

I do think he'd benefit from an experienced head with him behind the scenes though.
    Yes I agree, Steve Holland is an amazing coach but maybe his advice isn’t experienced enough during a game. 

But even then, who? The FA won’t employ a character in amongst that England setup.
  • Options
    Southgate has created a really good team, got a marine in for fitness, a rugby coach and many many more. He’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but the results speak for themselves. 
  • Options
    We lose the Euro Final on penalties and concede a late equaliser tonight and people are calling out the manager? Talk about a sense of entitlement…
    But this is what I mean about Southgate not making it easy for himself. I’m a staunch England supporter and will stick up for them all but two late subs right before the pens who both miss and then no subs and a tired last 5 mins tonight, people are gonna question the decision maker.
  • Options
    I’ve had my doubts about Southgate but his record speaks for itself. Got it wrong in the final but made plenty of decent calls getting us there. He is fortunate with the players and I hope he learns from past mistakes but sack him? Crazy talk 
  • Options
    World cup semi and Euro final.
    Southgate has the shirt just like the 11 who started and finished the game tonight. Seems fair even if subs in last 10 minutes would have been useful in stopping Poland getting any momentum.

Bellingham will be a regular soon but at the moment, Phillips has the shirt and rightly so. Rice is just awesome and his relationship with Kelvin is so impressive. When Maguire or Stones have a run forward Rice goes CB and when Rice charges forward Phillips covers him.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:
    Mad how a 1-1 draw away from home gets treated like a complete failure by some. 

The bloke is in so much credit, it’s ridiculous.
    Absolutely mate. Criticism is constructive tho, certainly from my side.
  • Options
    I’d like to see the shortlist….
  • Options
    I’d like to see the shortlist….
    Curbs 16/1
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    We are four points clear of Albania, five clear of Poland and six clear of Hungary. But they are all having to play each other and should take points off each other.

I would also be shocked if we don't round out the group stage with 4 wins from 4 against Andorra and San Marino away, Albania and Hungary at home. Three wins is enough, two wins and a draw should be fine too.

Next month's fixtures:

Andorra v England
    Hungary v Albania
    Poland v San Marino

Albania v Poland
    England v Hungary
    San Marino v Andorra
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    This England squad deserves a far better manager than Southgate. The only reason we do well is because of the sheer quality of our players.

Really hope the FA can tempt pep for the England job once he leaves city as he's said he wants to manage an international team and doubt it would ever be Spain with his Catalan allegiance.
    English manager for England job.

No exceptions. 

No vacancy now anyway.
  • Options
    As I said his results mean that he will not be under pressure and that is probably the right call. I support England whatever but I just think when it comes down to a tough game against a top team where the margins are fine and the result depends on making the right decision at the right time ( which top managers do ) his lack of nous will cost us. People saying about previous squads under performing that might be true but in 50 years of supporting England i have seen squads with a few class players and the rest average, this generation is proper right across the squad and should win tournaments for the next 10 years. Time will tell hopefully Southgate proves me wrong
  • Options
    Certainly this is the best squad depth I've ever seen in an England team and as a team the best since the Sven era, where we really should have done better, and potentially much better

Just watching Mount and Grealish effortlessly interchanging the ball was like watching a Spanish or Brazilian side, such was the touch both players had
  • Options
    Certainly this is the best squad depth I've ever seen in an England team and as a team the best since the Sven era, where we really should have done better, and potentially much better

Just watching Mount and Grealish effortlessly interchanging the ball was like watching a Spanish or Brazilian side, such was the touch both players had
    Pretty much the exact words I said to CEJ during the game.
    It's like watching Brazil or Spain.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If we go 1-0 up in the World Cup final early on, would I feel confident we would win it under Southgate? Probably not. 

If tonight was the 1st time management like this was called into question it would be fine. But Croatia, then Germany (if Muller would have scored that 1 on 1), Italy and now tonight. The same issue of going 1-0 up and then dropping back causing us problems. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    For me, Rashford is in that Jermaine Defoe level. Will likely always be good enough to score goals at Premier League level as long as he wants to, but will never quite be ‘the main man’ in the league or for England. 

Can’t quite put my finger on it. He’s missing something that makes him an intimidating striker.

Could even be something as little as the single penalty miss in the Euro 2020 final that is weighing on my mind. Top, top players just don’t miss those - and the moment he stepped up I wasn’t particularly filled with confidence.
    What utter nonsense. Cristiano Ronaldo has missed around 15% of his penalties and Messi around 22%. Yes they've taken shit loads but penalties are not a foregone conclusion at all. 
    It would be harsh to cite Rashford's limitations as being as a result of the penalty miss. He wasn't good enough long before the Euros. We are in a fortunate position in that we have lots of very good players available for International selection..This was not necessarily the case a decade ago (although there was certainly world class players in that team) . Back then, Rashford would have been one of the first forwards names on the managers teamsheet. But now I'd say he's not THAT good when considering him or any of the other very good attacking options we have now. 
  • Options
    We lose the Euro Final on penalties and concede a late equaliser tonight and people are calling out the manager? Talk about a sense of entitlement…
    I wholly agree. 
  • Options
    If we go 1-0 up in the World Cup final early on, would I feel confident we would win it under Southgate? Probably not. 

If tonight was the 1st time management like this was called into question it would be fine. But Croatia, then Germany (if Muller would have scored that 1 on 1), Italy and now tonight. The same issue of going 1-0 up and then dropping back causing us problems. 
    Yes, Southgate has done so well but killing a game off, poor substitution choices or NO substitutions and tactical naivety are things he will hopefully be addressing very soon. But he really surprised me. He has got this squad playing great attacking entertaining football and I'd take that over longball games and sneaking one nil wins. I want to be entertained. Southgate delivers.. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Disappointing to concede at the end , but overall, happy with the point last night, hopefully will teach Gareth to be proactive in making subs, and also a wake up to the players going forward, thst you can’t just coast through matches, you’ve got to play till the final whistle, manage game time and see out matches, pretty basic stuff really.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I think Southgate shares a weakness with a lot of managers. You do your job and take the lead and then it isn't fair as the team you are beating has to go for it a bit more and take a risk or two. Quite often it means you have to respond and try to take advantage of the attacking opportunities this provides but a lot of managers carry on as they were or sit back.

Having said that, a draw in the context of the group was a very positive result. There is no way England won't qualify easily with a five point lead, forget about Albania, and four remaining games. 

But this is an exciting England team which has displayed a weakness in major tournaments from a winning position. That absolutely has to be addressed by the manager going forwards.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    We were literally a couple of penalty kicks away from beating a team in a final that hadn’t lost in over 30 matches / 3 years.

We couldn’t have been closer, and I don’t think many expected us to get anywhere near the final at the beginning of the tournament. 

But even when we convincingly beat Germany, only after the game did the old tripe come out of “oh, well Germany aren’t that great anymore really”.

We absolutely destroyed a decent Hungary side away from home last week, is that all just forgotten now because we’ve drawn with Poland?

The bloke can’t win with some people. 
    There is a lot of OTT criticism, and people calling for him to go are mad, but his negative tactics cost us that final. You can't sit back and defend for over an hour and expect to get something out of it, and it showed he hasn't learned from the Croatia WC semi