Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England v Hungary / Andorra / Poland

Comments

• Grealish, Mount and Kane made a huge difference.

Mings getting booked off the ball.  He just does the most stupid of things!
  • That’s a cracking save by the keeper tbf 
  • Comfortable home win, 4-0.
  • 8 goals scored and none conceded in two games. A solid weekend of qualifying.
  • Yep, good run out for the fringe players against a hard working, surprisingly organised side. 3 class substitutions and a tiring Andorra made the score line comfortable. Roll on Wednesday.
  • 3rd time in 5 games we have win 4-0.  
  • AndyG said:
    AndyG said:
    Bellingham is already class. He could really develop into a world beater terrifying to think he is only 18
    He's 18, Greenwood 19, Saka 20, Foden 21, Sancho 21, Mount and Rice 22, Rashford 23. We're pretty set for the next few tournaments.
    Yes mate but I personally wouldnt include Rashford in that group. If he didnt play for Utd I honestly dont think he would be anywhere near this squad until his form and performances pick back up
    I never understand this argument. 270 games for Manchester United before his 24th birthday suggests he is quite good.

I could understand the argument if he never got a game at United. 
  • Quite disappointing really. Almost all of their players play in the 4th level (League 2) in Spain. I’d think Slough Town would probably hope at least get to a home draw, and only lose by a goal away.
  • iainment said:
    Quite disappointing really. Almost all of their players play in the 4th level (League 2) in Spain. I’d think Slough Town would probably hope at least get to a home draw, and only lose by a goal away.
    4-0 is about par against Andorra - I'd expect a lot more against San Marino.
  • Sponsored links:

• supaclive said:
    Grealish, Mount and Kane made a huge difference.

Mings getting booked off the ball.  He just does the most stupid of things!
    Mings clearly didn’t fancy a Wednesday night in Poland. 
  • Chizz said:
    cafctom said:
    Decided to get a ticket for today. Had also been put off in the past by the crowds being a bit too freebie / selfie stick heavy for these sorts of games.

Hopefully the performance at the Euros will encourage more regular football fans to come out and get behind the national team regularly.
    Have a great time. Post some selfies later. 
    I would have done had I not been spending half the game trying to dodge paper airplanes!
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:
    Bellingham is already class. He could really develop into a world beater terrifying to think he is only 18
    He's 18, Greenwood 19, Saka 20, Foden 21, Sancho 21, Mount and Rice 22, Rashford 23. We're pretty set for the next few tournaments.
    Yes mate but I personally wouldnt include Rashford in that group. If he didnt play for Utd I honestly dont think he would be anywhere near this squad until his form and performances pick back up
    I never understand this argument. 270 games for Manchester United before his 24th birthday suggests he is quite good.

You honestly think he is showing good enough performances to be in this current England squad ? 

If you do then I suppose it is a case of different options mate. For me he should be nowhere near it until he gets back to what he was a couple of years ago
  • AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:

You honestly think he is showing good enough performances to be in this current England squad ? 

If you do then I suppose it is a case of different options mate. For me he should be nowhere near it until he gets back to what he was a couple of years ago
    Rashford has started one match in 18 tournament games. Rashford is nothing but a squad player at best. Never going to be a first team player for England. 
  • I was wondering to myself tonight who the breakout striker for England is going to be.

We have incredible potential in attacking midfield/forward areas - Foden, Sancho, Grealish, Saka, Bellingham etc. 

But I’m trying to think of who could be the up and coming striker to one day replace or at least challenge Kane. Drawing a blank.
  • edited September 2021
    cafctom said:
    I was wondering to myself tonight who the breakout striker for England is going to be.

We have incredible potential in attacking midfield/forward areas - Foden, Sancho, Grealish, Saka, Bellingham etc. 

But I’m trying to think of who could be the up and coming striker to one day replace or at least challenge Kane. Drawing a blank.
    They've not broken through in the same way, but they will be out there and come through eventually, the likes of City's Liam Delap for example

• Mason Greenwood will play through the centre eventually too
  • AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:

But he isn't starting regularly, if at all for England is he?  He is a squad player.  Who's place is he taking?  If he can't get back in the United team after his injury, which there is a good chance of I doubt he will be in the England squad either. 

You could make a good argument for Greenwood, with which I would agree.  But which player do you think has been unfairly kept out of the England squad by Rashford over the last 3 years?

If he is good enough for a regular first team place at a top for 4, he is probably worth a place in the England squad, unless he is a right back. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:

No, I wouldn't include Rashford either. Yes he is picked for United regularly enough and seemingly OGS sees he adds to the squad. But he brings no improvement to England. Maybe a few games out may do him the world of good. 
  • edited September 2021
    For me, Rashford is in that Jermaine Defoe level. Will likely always be good enough to score goals at Premier League level as long as he wants to, but will never quite be ‘the main man’ in the league or for England. 

Can’t quite put my finger on it. He’s missing something that makes him an intimidating striker.

Could even be something as little as the single penalty miss in the Euro 2020 final that is weighing on my mind. Top, top players just don’t miss those - and the moment he stepped up I wasn’t particularly filled with confidence.
  • Sponsored links:

• cafctom said:
    For me, Rashford is in that Jermaine Defoe level. Will likely always be good enough to score goals at Premier League level as long as he wants to, but will never quite be ‘the main man’ in the league or for England. 

Can’t quite put my finger on it. He’s missing something that makes him an intimidating striker.

Could even be something as little as the single penalty miss in the Euro 2020 final that is weighing on my mind. Top, top players just don’t miss those - and the moment he stepped up I wasn’t particularly filled with confidence.
    What utter nonsense. Cristiano Ronaldo has missed around 15% of his penalties and Messi around 22%. Yes they've taken shit loads but penalties are not a foregone conclusion at all. 
  • edited September 2021
    If you’re going to try and call my suggestion ‘nonsense’ then it’s probably best to try and not then mention Ronaldo/Messi in the same debate at Marcus Rashford, mate.

The point I’m making is that there’s something about Rashford that doesn’t strike me as a player that’s going to fire big teams to glory. 
  • The problem that Rashford and his clubmate Martial both have, is that they don't really have a playing identity - do they want to play as a centre forward or in that Salah or Mane role as wide attackers? Martial doesn't have the work-rate for that role, and doesn't have the physicality to play centrally either, so he needs to be moved on. Rashford can probably play both, but needs to score more goals and improve his link up play, as that is what lets him down most through the middle. Agree with you though, that Rashford definitely has something about him.
  • Mason Greenwood will play through the centre eventually too
    Agree with this, he seems a natural finisher plus a few years learning from Cavani and Ronaldo certainly won't do him any harm either.
  • Some stats from last night:

The first time England have named a completely different starting XI from the previous match since June 1982.

Kane's goal means he has now scored in 14 consecutive qualifiers. 
  • cafctom said:
    Chizz said:
    cafctom said:
    Decided to get a ticket for today. Had also been put off in the past by the crowds being a bit too freebie / selfie stick heavy for these sorts of games.

Hopefully the performance at the Euros will encourage more regular football fans to come out and get behind the national team regularly.
    I would have done had I not been spending half the game trying to dodge paper airplanes!
    The commentator mentioned this, more than he should've really. What was going on?
  • Gribbo said:
    cafctom said:
    Chizz said:
    cafctom said:

The commentator mentioned this, more than he should've really. What was going on?
    Ive been to a few England friendlies over the years, typically wherever Ive sat its always been with tourists who are super casual football fans, or northerners on a big London day out. 
  • Saracens used to play an annual Premiership fixture at Wembley, usually a London "derby" against Harlequins. I went to one of these, and it was a similar atmosphere, where people were there just to sample Wembley or to have a different afternoon out, rather than being interested in the match
  • cafctom said:
    Gribbo said:
    cafctom said:
    Chizz said:
    cafctom said:

People were making and throwing paper air planes out of their match tickets (an A4 sheet of paper you print at home). 

The aim was to try and get them onto the pitch from the top tier it seemed. Hundreds of people literally jumping out of their chairs and cheering whenever it succeeded. They were hardly interested in the actual football.

Might sound miserable, but it did my head in. Especially considering it went on for the entire first half.
    Gave up sitting in the top tier when Harry Kane kept getting booed by Arsenal fans. Only ever sit behind the goal in Block 108 to Block 114. Seemed like an additional family atmosphere as it was a Sunday afternoon match in the school holidays. 

Just have to accept that The FA do not want England games to be full of football supporters as it doesn’t create enough revenue for them inside Wembley.