Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England v Hungary / Andorra / Poland

Comments

• cafctom said:
    Gribbo said:
    cafctom said:
    Chizz said:
    cafctom said:
    Decided to get a ticket for today. Had also been put off in the past by the crowds being a bit too freebie / selfie stick heavy for these sorts of games.

Hopefully the performance at the Euros will encourage more regular football fans to come out and get behind the national team regularly.
    Have a great time. Post some selfies later. 
    I would have done had I not been spending half the game trying to dodge paper airplanes!
    The commentator mentioned this, more than he should've really. What was going on?
    People were making and throwing paper air planes out of their match tickets (an A4 sheet of paper you print at home). 

The aim was to try and get them onto the pitch from the top tier it seemed. Hundreds of people literally jumping out of their chairs and cheering whenever it succeeded. They were hardly interested in the actual football.

Might sound miserable, but it did my head in. Especially considering it went on for the entire first half.
    Yeah you could hear em cheering every now and then. Spose that's the "carnival atmosphere" that is becoming part of moder football.

Times were, it was a ban for throwing a missile onto the field of play, no matter what it was.
  • cafctom said:
    Gribbo said:
    cafctom said:
    Chizz said:
    cafctom said:
    Decided to get a ticket for today. Had also been put off in the past by the crowds being a bit too freebie / selfie stick heavy for these sorts of games.

Hopefully the performance at the Euros will encourage more regular football fans to come out and get behind the national team regularly.
    I would have done had I not been spending half the game trying to dodge paper airplanes!
    The commentator mentioned this, more than he should've really. What was going on?
    People were making and throwing paper air planes out of their match tickets (an A4 sheet of paper you print at home). 

The aim was to try and get them onto the pitch from the top tier it seemed. Hundreds of people literally jumping out of their chairs and cheering whenever it succeeded. They were hardly interested in the actual football.

Might sound miserable, but it did my head in. Especially considering it went on for the entire first half.
    Gave up sitting in the top tier when Harry Kane kept getting booed by Arsenal fans. Only ever sit behind the goal in Block 108 to Block 114. Seemed like an additional family atmosphere as it was a Sunday afternoon match in the school holidays. 

Just have to accept that The FA do not want England games to be full of football supporters as it doesn’t create enough revenue for them inside Wembley.
    Surely it's more that "passionate" supporters aren't that interested in games against "joke" opposition. It's hard to get worked up for a game against such a weak team
  • Good to see Bamford finally getting a call up

Southgate must have been visited by 3 ghosts 
    After watching him live yesterday not even being able to score against Andorra when he had at least 2 fantastic opportunities to do so.

I would like to officially apologise for this comment and take it back.

Lets hope its his one and only England cap
  • MrOneLung said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    playing andorra is a complete waste of time - need to put all these nonsense nations in a separate tournament and if they win it, they can enter the proper one next time 
    Does that include Ireland at the moment. 1 point in 4 games. Just sneaked a 1-1 draw yesterday 
    lowest placed qualifying position should be relegated to the nonsense pot
    This is what the nations league is addressing. Gives these nations meaningful games against similar rated teams and then qualify and get promoted to next level. 

They are going to improve by having competitive matches rather than going in knowing they are gonna lose 5-0 every match. 

Turkey were perennial whipping boys but they have reached two major semifinals in last 20 years. 
    its a nonsense - somebody somehow needs to take the bull by the horns and stick all the rubbish into a world cup 2 competition - if sport isn't competitive it is boring - just like the domestic cup competitions - not interested in these or world cup qualifiers against crap opposition   
  • DOUCHER said:
    MrOneLung said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    playing andorra is a complete waste of time - need to put all these nonsense nations in a separate tournament and if they win it, they can enter the proper one next time 
    Does that include Ireland at the moment. 1 point in 4 games. Just sneaked a 1-1 draw yesterday 
    This is what the nations league is addressing. Gives these nations meaningful games against similar rated teams and then qualify and get promoted to next level. 

They are going to improve by having competitive matches rather than going in knowing they are gonna lose 5-0 every match. 

Turkey were perennial whipping boys but they have reached two major semifinals in last 20 years. 
    its a nonsense - somebody somehow needs to take the bull by the horns and stick all the rubbish into a world cup 2 competition - if sport isn't competitive it is boring - just like the domestic cup competitions - not interested in these or world cup qualifiers against crap opposition   
    Don’t watch it then.
  • CAFCTrev said:
    Gribbo said:
    cafctom said:
    Chizz said:
    cafctom said:

Ive been to a few England friendlies over the years, typically wherever Ive sat its always been with tourists who are super casual football fans, or northerners on a big London day out. 
    I went yesterday and was surrounded by Leeds United fans - they didn’t know one another either! 
  • CAFCTrev said:
    Gribbo said:
    cafctom said:
    Chizz said:
    cafctom said:

Ive been to a few England friendlies over the years, typically wherever Ive sat its always been with tourists who are super casual football fans, or northerners on a big London day out. 
    I went yesterday and was surrounded by Leeds United fans - they didn’t know one another either! 
    Had 3 leeds fans infront of me, the second Bamford went off they left 🤣🤣
  • cafctom said:
    DOUCHER said:
    MrOneLung said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

Don’t watch it then.
    Thanks I hadn’t thought of that 
  • cafctom said:
    If you’re going to try and call my suggestion ‘nonsense’ then it’s probably best to try and not then mention Ronaldo/Messi in the same debate at Marcus Rashford, mate.

The point I’m making is that there’s something about Rashford that doesn’t strike me as a player that’s going to fire big teams to glory. 
    Which I accept, if you don't rate Rashford that's fine, you're not the only one. I didn't call your suggestion nonsense, I said your claim that top players don't miss penalties, nonsense. Which it clearly is. 
  • cafctom said:
    If you’re going to try and call my suggestion ‘nonsense’ then it’s probably best to try and not then mention Ronaldo/Messi in the same debate at Marcus Rashford, mate.

The point I’m making is that there’s something about Rashford that doesn’t strike me as a player that’s going to fire big teams to glory. 
    Which I accept, if you don't rate Rashford that's fine, you're not the only one. I didn't call your suggestion nonsense, I said your claim that top players don't miss penalties, nonsense. Which it clearly is. 
    Maybe you’re reading what I said literally, and I could have worded it better, but it’s a general point that the top players deliver in the big games. 

For example when Harry Kane stepped up, I had no doubt in my mind that he was burying it. And he did. The same way that we all knew Clive Mendonca was burying it in 1998. Those players that you would put your house on in that situation. 

Rashford just doesn’t have that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ironically the bit I don’t have a problem rating Rashford on is his penalty taking… it’s his wider game I have a problem with from open play.

I fully expected him to score. His technique is usually superb from the spot - games like the PSG champs league match is just one example where he buries them with conviction. Occasion got to him v Italy as it did loads of players 
  • Ironically the bit I don’t have a problem rating Rashford on is his penalty taking… it’s his wider game I have a problem with from open play.

I fully expected him to score. His technique is usually superb from the spot - games like the PSG champs league match is just one example where he buries them with conviction. Occasion got to him v Italy as it did loads of players 
    Probably didn't help being brought on as a sub in the 119th minute.

I've always felt that if Southgate had them down as penalty takers, then he should've brought Rashford and Sancho on at least 10 minutes earlier to get them into the game.

I've always felt that if Southgate had them down as penalty takers, then he should've brought Rashford and Sancho on at least 10 minutes earlier to get them into the game.
    Probably, but that's the issue Southgate or anyone else would always face being the national team's manager - he got pretty much every other decision right, but the one right at the end he got wrong (as he would probably concede himself) and it risks overshadowing the others.
  • thenewbie said:
    Ironically the bit I don’t have a problem rating Rashford on is his penalty taking… it’s his wider game I have a problem with from open play.

Probably, but that's the issue Southgate or anyone else would always face being the national team's manager - he got pretty much every other decision right, but the one right at the end he got wrong (as he would probably concede himself) and it risks overshadowing the others.
    Also if he brought Rashford on for Walker with 10 minutes to go and we conceded he would have got pelters. 
  • cafctom said:
    cafctom said:

Maybe you’re reading what I said literally, and I could have worded it better, but it’s a general point that the top players deliver in the big games. 

For example when Harry Kane stepped up, I had no doubt in my mind that he was burying it. And he did. The same way that we all knew Clive Mendonca was burying it in 1998. Those players that you would put your house on in that situation. 

Rashford just doesn’t have that.
    Fair enough mate. I don't think it helped that Rashford had a poor tournament generally as personally I would usually fancy him, doesn't take a bad penalty. 
  • cafctom said:
    cafctom said:

For example when Harry Kane stepped up, I had no doubt in my mind that he was burying it. 
    Tbf, he missed the pen in the Euros against Denmark, but was fortunate that the rebounded ball landed back at him. 
  • edited September 2021
    CAFCTrev said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:

For example when Harry Kane stepped up, I had no doubt in my mind that he was burying it. 
    Tbf, he missed the pen in the Euros against Denmark, but was fortunate that the rebounded ball landed back at him. 
    Mark of a good taker. Rather than stand there and watch, he followed up and was ready. 
  • cafctom said:
    Chizz said:
    cafctom said:

It could have been worse…the Mexican fucking annoying wave!
  • Rashford should have been nowhere near that Euros squad. Had been injured and/or shite for the entire season, and took now penalty like someone who had barely locked a ball all season.

Picked because of who he plays for, and fits Southgate's preferred personality profile for the squad. 
  • Croydon said:
    Rashford should have been nowhere near that Euros squad. Had been injured and/or shite for the entire season, and took now penalty like someone who had barely locked a ball all season.

Picked because of who he plays for, and fits Southgate's preferred personality profile for the squad. 
    Agree 100% with the first part.  First sentence of the second part is utter tosh. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I struggle to envisage Rashford as an England captain. Seems too much of a confidence player to take on that role.

And whilst it’s a very early prediction to make considering his age - I absolutely expect Jude Bellingham to be a captain in time to come.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Croydon said:
    Rashford should have been nowhere near that Euros squad. Had been injured and/or shite for the entire season, and took now penalty like someone who had barely locked a ball all season.

Agree 100% with the first part.  First sentence of the second part is utter tosh. 
    Re the second part - I got caught out with the same assumption. When I found out he had scored 21 goals I was really surprised and even more so that he was involved in 57 club games. Shit pen or not - he had the bollocks to take one. Thing with him is, he doesn’t really fit in to the England squad - there are too many better options. 
  • Croydon said:

Personally, I would say Rashford is behind the following players in the pecking order; Sterling, Sancho, Grealish, Foden & Saka. Won’t be long until Greenwood is ahead of him.
  • I don't blame Rashford for missing a pen for one minute, ditto Saka and Sancho. I just ask the question why Stering didn't step up, seeing as he's "world class", and why Grealish wasn't chosen even though he supposedly volunteered?

• 3 f@&king right backs on the bench!!

WTF where is Rashford and Sancho I can't believe so and so isn't playing.

Am I doing this right?
  • Croydon said:

Personally, I would say Rashford is behind the following players in the pecking order; Sterling, Sancho, Grealish, Foden & Saka. Won’t be long until Greenwood is ahead of him.
    Yes and all of them started before him in the Euros, bar Greenwood.

I don't get the Rashford hate, he isn't keeping someone better out of the squad, he isn't starting games.  He probably won't be in another England squad this year. 
  • Gribbo said:
    I don't blame Rashford for missing a pen for one minute, ditto Saka and Sancho. I just ask the question why Stering didn't step up, seeing as he's "world class", and why Grealish wasn't chosen even though he supposedly volunteered?
    Grealish has said that he did want to take one, and that all the crap about him after the game was a load of typical BS from the press.

Saw an interview with him prior to the Hungary game last week saying that was down to take the sixth penalty and one after Saka. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Croydon said:

If Rashford had a season with the same stats and performances at a West Ham or an Everton, he doesn't make the squad. 

Anyway, on to tonight. A good squad and I think a comfortable 2-0 win.