Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Energy Bills

Comments

• Options
    remember that a chunk of your bill is going to bail out the customers let down by these near criminals .. how did the government let them get away with it ?

Boss of failed energy firm Bulb defends £250,000 salary - BBC News
    I am not sure what makes them near criminal? I certainly did notice the difference in calibre of the two failed companies in that article Vs the established companies though...

The regulation of that sector is completely short of what is needed and the government should strengthen this ASAP. I remember looking at it years ago and not understanding how some companies can buy at spot price when there is a price cap, it was so obviously set for failure if there was a sudden price surge. 
  • Options
    Bit sceptical about these solar panels.great idea if they work but do we get enough sun light in England really. When I went at least 10 years back to Turkey  couldn’t believe every house had them and some of the houses were half built because they were poor but still had solar panels. 
    Asked how come every house has solar panels there expensive. He said no there from China very cheap. 
     Now is that why we have got lawyers lining up to get you compensation for being sold over priced solar panels. 
    Also if there so good why is the government not making them compulsory on new builds. 
    Or a scheme backed by the government to get solar panels on as many houses as possible. 
  • Options
    My brother just got a cheque delivered to his French home from the French government this morning for €184 to offset fuel price rises.
    It's related to the tax he paid. 
    I'm guessing less tax paid=bigger cheque.

The UK could do with adopting this policy. 
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    My brother just got a cheque delivered to his French home from the French government this morning for €184 to offset fuel price rises.
    It's related to the tax he paid. 
    I'm guessing less tax paid=bigger cheque.

The UK could do with adopting this policy. 
    I'd have agreed until my recent experience of tradesmen and their desire for Cash!
  • Options
    Martin Lewis’s latest advice about switching or not switching your provider.

https://twitter.com/martinslewis/status/1519330254707437569?s=21&t=j1VkfZP5oipMICcksjpxsQ
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    This is going to be a massive crisis come next winter. The prices go up again in October and many people are just not going to be able to afford to heat their homes. It seems to me the government are sticking their heads in the sand on this issue unless they genuinely don’t care. Unless there is quite a significant intervention I can see big problems ahead.
    The price cap is set against the wholesale gas price which has actually dropped since January, even until now. Obviously not sure how this may change with Russia's actions

• Options
    What is the purpose of government if it is unable or unwilling to do what is required in order for its people to live. Food prices rising. Petrol rising, Energy off the scale. Inflation rising. Wages unable to keep up. I know the magic money tree has been well shaken recently but unless something significant is done over the next few months I think people will be very unhappy. I would hope a package will be put in place by the autumn.  It almost looks like there is no plan and like Mr. Micawber they are relying on something turning up. 
  • Options
    That's a bit unfair SHG, they're giving us all £200.

That will do sod all for most people.

That we have to pay back somehow.

As you were.....
  • Options
    What is the purpose of government if it is unable or unwilling to do what is required in order for its people to live. Food prices rising. Petrol rising, Energy off the scale. Inflation rising. Wages unable to keep up. I know the magic money tree has been well shaken recently but unless something significant is done over the next few months I think people will be very unhappy. I would hope a package will be put in place by the autumn.  It almost looks like there is no plan and like Mr. Micawber they are relying on something turning up. 
    These things have happened before and not surprising after covid and the situation with Ukraine/Russia. But I think it is harder now because of a number of reasons, not least because of the last couple of years. Interest rate rises are going come as a shock to many (who don't remember the massive rises in the late 70s/early 80s
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is going to be a massive crisis come next winter. The prices go up again in October and many people are just not going to be able to afford to heat their homes. It seems to me the government are sticking their heads in the sand on this issue unless they genuinely don’t care. Unless there is quite a significant intervention I can see big problems ahead.
    wonder if the local elections have a part to play, if they do badly we might see a lot more action, whereas if they hold most seats they will probably do the bare minimum.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Something will have to happen. Luckily it can uncharitably be twisted to be a selfish act from the government. 

Basically, if they don't do something about the energy prices come winter, the recession into 2023 will last into 2025 at least. 

It's what I'm preparing for in the company I lead the finance/operations functions for. 

In fact, regardless of what the government does, I'm fairly sure a recession is coming in the next 12 months. The cost of shipping a container round the world has gone up around 8 fold between the start of COVID and end of Oct 21. Luckily that is starting to drop, but the inflationary pressures on business, and therefore the consumer, are huge. Especially for a nation that has a trade defecit like the UK. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    A lot of people are going to need the advice being given on the Organise Personal Finances thread. First and foremost, what is a real priority and what is actually non-essential (however much you may like it)

In a way, I feel the energy suppliers should not be able to make a profit/have to pay back some profit, but some of them may need that to invest to be able to run their future business - so it isn't that straightforward
  • Options
    was switched to British Gas from Peoples Energy. Am currently on a tariff of Unit Rate 29.484 and Standing Charge of 41.660. This will obviously rise in October when the new price cap comes in. They have offered me to fix now until May 2023 at a Unit Rate of 34.312 and a Standing Charge of 48.509. If I did I will be paying more from now to October than I have to but then paying less from October to May than I might need to. Not sure what to do. Over to you for your thoughts?
  • Options
    was switched to British Gas from Peoples Energy. Am currently on a tariff of Unit Rate 29.484 and Standing Charge of 41.660. This will obviously rise in October when the new price cap comes in. They have offered me to fix now until May 2023 at a Unit Rate of 34.312 and a Standing Charge of 48.509. If I did I will be paying more from now to October than I have to but then paying less from October to May than I might need to. Not sure what to do. Over to you for your thoughts?

Not sure if you've seen this video from Martin Lewis that he posted this week, but the gist of it is if you can get a fixed tariff with your current provider for up to 30% more than you currently pay, you should consider fixing, especially if you like to have some certainty about bills.  He explains it better than I can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvVld-qY3Gc

• Options
    Addix is correct. Martin Lewis says you're in a grey area, so either could be best.
    If you want the certainty then take the fix.
    My best guess is there's probably not going to be much difference.
  • Options
    I was of the opinion that BG wouldn’t be offering this out of the goodness of their own heart, they are in the business of making money. I’ll watch the video later and decide.
  • Options
    A lot of people are going to need the advice being given on the Organise Personal Finances thread. First and foremost, what is a real priority and what is actually non-essential (however much you may like it)

In a way, I feel the energy suppliers should not be able to make a profit/have to pay back some profit, but some of them may need that to invest to be able to run their future business - so it isn't that straightforward
    The profits they are making are above what they planned to invest, so a windfall tax wouldn't affect investment. A windfall tax to bring down energy bills would be the best way to help people.
  • Options
    It seems that the £150 council tax rebate due to be paid in April is now from April.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I heard the other day that our office electric bill has jumped from £2k a month to £10k and that’s with ‘hybrid working’ with just a fraction of the staff numbers actually going to the office. The government might not give a shit about family bills but I suspect that when businesses and The City start giving them grief they will do something about it. 
  • Options
    I heard the other day that our office electric bill has jumped from £2k a month to £10k and that’s with ‘hybrid working’ with just a fraction of the staff numbers actually going to the office. The government might not give a shit about family bills but I suspect that when businesses and The City start giving them grief they will do something about it. 
    Helping businesses doesn’t mean they’ll also help domestic users. Having said that I expect something in the way of help to be announced in the autumn. The government are hanging on in the desperate hope something will turn up to minimise the help they’ll be forced to give later in the year. I think people will go absolutely mental if nothing is done.
  • Options

The profits they are making are above what they planned to invest, so a windfall tax wouldn't affect investment. A windfall tax to bring down energy bills would be the best way to help people.
    Has labour (or indeed any party) quantified what a windfall tax would equate to for us as individual households? What reduction in our bills would result?

Putting a number on it might make people align to this suggestion. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I was of the opinion that BG wouldn’t be offering this out of the goodness of their own heart, they are in the business of making money. I’ll watch the video later and decide.
    Whatever you decide @LargeAddick , if you take the fix, which will probably be a safe choice if it is within the 30% figure of your current quote, make sure it is a penalty free early exit deal, then you are covered should a better deal come onto the market..
  • Options

Has labour (or indeed any party) quantified what a windfall tax would equate to for us as individual households? What reduction in our bills would result?

I believe up to £600 per household.

https://labour.org.uk/issue/britain-cannot-afford-the-tories/?utm_campaign=le22&utm_source=splash&utm_medium=button
  • Options
    edited May 2022

I believe up to £600 per household.

https://labour.org.uk/issue/britain-cannot-afford-the-tories/?utm_campaign=le22&utm_source=splash&utm_medium=button
    Thank you. Hadn’t seen that before. But I am sceptical of the use of wording  ‘up to’ as it implies not a flat rebate and conditional in some way. Also in addition to the existing £200 or as part of? Just for 2022 or beyond etc?

My point is that absolute transparency is lacking on all sides. 
  • Options
    as well as energy costs, be careful where you buy your groceries ..

£279 bill warning for Sainsbury's and Tesco shoppers (msn.com)
  • Options
    Shell's profits for the first quarter of 2022 £7.2billion.