Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Energy Bills

Comments

• Options

Charlton season tickets? 😂 
  • Options
    I tried to get on the Octopus energy website to give a meter reading, it’s been down all day, sent them an email with my meter readings, and got a nice email back saying they had received my meter reassigns , when there I’m going to be charged new or old prices, we’ll have to wait and see, I asked for the old prices…
    I am with Octopus and there is a clear message in the yellow box on the home page explaining what will happen. Their variable rate does not kick in until midnight on Saturday so if they have your readings you should be fine. They advise to take a photo of your meters as well just in case.
  • Options
    Octopus site says "We're super busy today so you might have a long wait if you call.

The best day to give us a meter reading is this Saturday (our standard variable prices don't change until 00:00 Saturday 2nd April.) Make a note of your readings or take a photo of them on Saturday. When we receive this reading we will apply it to your account from 00:00 midnight on the Saturday. You will have a week to submit them to us, so please don't worry if you can't get it to us that day.

Smart meter customers do not need to send us a reading.
    If you're on a Fixed tariff, it's always good to submit regular readings, but your prices won't be changing so we don't necessarily need one right now".
  • Options
    Just logged on and posted my meter readings on Octopus while I am still up, not busy this time of night 
  • Options
    British Gas have just credited me the £230+ that I was in credit with Peoples Energy when they went bust last October and I was switched to BG. Happy days.
  • Options
    That'll pay for a few days energy then.
  • Options
    I look after solar maintenance for a local authority (around 800 properties) and I know in the coming weeks I'll be getting bombarded with calls saying their systems aren't working correctly as their bills increase. Fortunately these are all on an online portal which I can use to show they're working fine. 

If you've got a decent size south facing roof it might be worth looking into getting some panels on it. 
  • Options
    British Gas have just credited me the £230+ that I was in credit with Peoples Energy when they went bust last October and I was switched to BG. Happy days.
    Nice one - what will you do with your five hours of free energy?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2022
    British Gas have just credited me the £230+ that I was in credit with Peoples Energy when they went bust last October and I was swowitched to BG. Happy days.

That would have paid two months energy a year ago for me .... not now
  • Options
    We have typically paid around £1200 pa for electricity via Bulb and £1500 for heating oil from whoever is the cheapest at the time.

Our last fill of oil, only one company was prepared to take the order from our syndicate and only then if we agreed to take it without a quote as normal. The delivery of 748 litres was about 3 weeks ago and we still don't know how much we will be charged.

I've heard from others that the cost, if correct is likely to increase our annual heating bill around £1500 to £2000pa if the cost was the same for the whole year. 

There is no price regulation for us 1.7m oil users.

There are plenty of people local to us on very low incomes, this type of increase in outgoings could be devastating. 
  • Options
    We have typically paid around £1200 pa for electricity via Bulb and £1500 for heating oil from whoever is the cheapest at the time.

Our last fill of oil, only one company was prepared to take the order from our syndicate and only then if we agreed to take it without a quote as normal. The delivery of 748 litres was about 3 weeks ago and we still don't know how much we will be charged.

I've heard from others that the cost, if correct is likely to increase our annual heating bill around £1500 to £2000pa if the cost was the same for the whole year. 

There are plenty of people local to us on very low incomes, this type of increase in outgoings could be devastating. 
    We switched from oil to all electric last year and it sounds like the right decision.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Boiling a kettle now costs 87p per hour, up from 49p yesterday.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

We switched from oil to all electric last year and it sounds like the right decision.
    I'd be interested in the comparison, historically oil is cheaper than electric heating I understand. 

We have recently fitted new boilers, so that would be a more difficult decision for us. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    bobmunro said:

I'd be interested in the comparison, historically oil is cheaper than electric heating I understand. 

We have recently fitted new boilers, so that would be a more difficult decision for us. 
    Our decision was based on part of a full refurb (which thankfully is now only 3 weeks away from being completed!) and we wanted to future proof the house as we enter our dotage with minimal ongoing maintenance issues. They are (apparently) super efficient ceramic core German radiators -  short-term our heating costs will increase relative to oil, but medium-term we should see a benefit. 
  • Options
    I drink shit loads of tea and coffee. Think I'll start putting my boiling water into a flask going forward so I'm covered for the day 🤣
  • Options
    my smart meter went from 23p per hour to £1.11 an hour when I just clicked the kettle on
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Invest in a few battery powered PIR sensor lights. We've had one in both of our bathrooms for a few weeks now. Hardest part was getting the kids out of the habit of turning the main light on, only to then walk out and leaving it on.

Batteries are very inexpensive as well.
  • Options
    Invest in a few battery powered PIR sensor lights. We've had one in both of our bathrooms for a few weeks now. Hardest part was getting the kids out of the habit of turnng the main light on, only to then walk out and leaving it on.

You can also install permanent sensors on your main lighting if this is a problem in a household. We have a dressing room off our main bedroom and my wife would stroll out and leave the light on all day. I have now fitted a sensor that brings the lights on when it detects motion in the room and they go off a couple of minutes after you leave the room. Tiny little unit on the ceiling, hardly notice it.
  • Options
    What’s going completely under the radar it seems to me is the fact that standing charges are going up across the country by an average of around 81%. Why ? The inability to supply gas and electricity cheaply is understandable but what’s changed in standing charges which pay for the cables and pipes etc that warrants such a massive increase and at a time when the uncontrollable aspects of energy are causing people to not heat their homes. What the fuck are Offgem or whatever the regulator is called these days doing ? Eff all is the answer. 
    The various regulators exist to pay a nice fat salary to the CEO and a few others. And give the public the impression the government actually cares.
    Surely everybody knows that?
    Name a regulator that is fit for purpose. Ummm...
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Invest in a few battery powered PIR sensor lights. We've had one in both of our bathrooms for a few weeks now. Hardest part was getting the kids out of the habit of turnng the main light on, only to then walk out and leaving it on.

I’ve changed every light in my house to LED over the last few months including outside lights away from Halogen. Old incandescent lighting is far more costly (around 80% and LED lasts 8 x longer) and the only pain is making the changeover. Every little helps.
  • Options
    I've got LED/Hue/smart lights throughout, also with a number of sensors.

I have a little button by the front door that also turns everything off for the last person out, or if they forget then I can do so from my phone/internet. With the cost of all the lights though it'll probably be a 15 year pay back  :D

I'm pleased to say that since getting a new boiler/heating system my cost has gone down over 2/3rd's - so after the latest price increase it should still half from what it was.
  • Options
    The suggestion of a one off windfall tax on the excess profits on oil/gas companies seems reasonable. It is the excess profits gained because of the high price of these fuels. They have admitted themselves that they have more money they know what to do with.

The argument given by the Government is that the companies will use this money for investment and lately because it goes into pension funds so benefits old people! Again, this is excess profits we are talking about to react to an extreme circumstance. 
  • Options
    What’s going completely under the radar it seems to me is the fact that standing charges are going up across the country by an average of around 81%. Why ? The inability to supply gas and electricity cheaply is understandable but what’s changed in standing charges which pay for the cables and pipes etc that warrants such a massive increase and at a time when the uncontrollable aspects of energy are causing people to not heat their homes. What the fuck are Offgem or whatever the regulator is called these days doing ? Eff all is the answer. 
    I don't understand why there is a standing charges in the first place.

Surely we should be trying to move to a situation where everybody can have a small amount of energy at a low price but you have to pay a higher price as you use more.  (the low fruits for everybody - higher fruits for those that can afford to get them theory).

As it is a poor pensioner can stop using gas completely and still have to pay something while the more you use the cheaper it effectively becomes. 
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    That's OK, mine boils water much quicker than that.
    Think BBW is watching his, still that’s better than watching the spanners.
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    That's OK, mine boils water much quicker than that.
    Think BBW is watching his, still that’s better than watching the spanners.
    6 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss in our last 9 games  :p