Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic v Cheltenham Town Match Thread 11/09/21

Comments

• Morgan a genuine liability today.
  • I don’t feel like this is the players not trying. This is a shape issue. Cheltenham’s setup is very good. Defensively they can negate us and they’re exposing the space our formation leaves They look very comfortable with their system whereas we really do not at all. 

Adkins to needs to switch it up. I’m yet to be convinced he has that game changing tactical switch his locker. 
  • Given the level and the opposition, that is without doubt one of the worst halves of football i've ever seen from a Charlton side. 
  • Another embarrassing HT score line, just like Rochdale last year. 
    We are pants. 
  • This is not quite as bad as some of you are making out. It ain’t great though. 

Watson and Morgan need help in there. Cheltenham are spreading the okay well and they just have too much ground to cover. We’ve got two players covering half of the pitch on their own. 
    We are 2-0 down at home and look terrible. Having 2 in the middle of the park isn't the problem, the problem is what 2 it is IMO
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    If anyone says we've had it worse. 
    Well footballing wise no we fucking ain't. 
    The mind tends to dumb down memories of pain after a few years.
    We are 22nd in League One. 
    And I'm remaining calm about it.

"Control the controllables" you can't change anything so just chill and give it a chance.
    Or to put it another way. 
    We are shite 
  • As I'm watching this only one man is actually doing his job well and that's MacGillivray which, given he's conceded two says a lot.

Morgan of course the 21 year old taking the blame for every other player on the pitch, despite being younger than all of them and none of them doing their jobs...
  • Sponsored links:

• All a bit undeserved in my opinion. Cheltenham deserve a bigger lead.
  • Changing personel on the pitch may change things a bit, but this doesn't look like a selection problem, there is enough talent on that pitch to do far better than we are seeing, this must go back to the training pitch, and training in general, do your homework on the opposition, we look like a bunch of people who don't know what day it is, far too sloppy.....but hey Covered End here we come eh
  • edited September 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    If anyone says we've had it worse. 
    Well footballing wise no we fucking ain't. 
    The mind tends to dumb down memories of pain after a few years.
    We are 22nd in League One. 
    And I'm remaining calm about it.

"Control the controllables" you can't change anything so just chill and give it a chance.
    Or to put it another way. 
    We are shite 
    Right now you could describe us that way. It feels like something isn't right behind closed doors, but what can we change by whining about it?

Nothing. Just let it ride and see where we end up because we can change nothing in time to impact this season. Those players and their manager and the owner can, so we have to give them a chance to.
  • They are by far the better side. Totally dominated by Cheltenham. They look comfortable in possession. We can't pressure them and we havent created anything at all in the first half.
  • What a massive disappointment. I really thought we’d be flying today. 
    Totally outplayed. Worse first half in ages. 
    Get Watson off for sure and Morgan should be a reserve at very best. 
  • Blame Adkins all you want but no matter what manager we have, we're lumbered with Morgan and Watson in the CM position and Gunter at LB. 

Basically asking him to fight with one arm and one leg. 
  • Schooled in every department 
  • ct_addick said:
    A half fit Arter would be an improvement on Morgan 
    I would be an improvement on Morgan and I’m four drinks in and can’t kick a ball. 
  • sam3110 said:
    This is not quite as bad as some of you are making out. It ain’t great though. 

Watson and Morgan need help in there. Cheltenham are spreading the okay well and they just have too much ground to cover. We’ve got two players covering half of the pitch on their own. 
    We are 2-0 down at home and look terrible. Having 2 in the middle of the park isn't the problem, the problem is what 2 it is IMO
    They have had overloads on our full backs time and time again. The midfield cannot cover the full width. Curbs is saying much the same right now. Our shape is wrong. 
  • Sponsored links:

• stockley cannot play upfront on his own. End off.
  • Adam Matthew and Ben Watson are just lazy. For a midfielder I can’t believe Watson doesn’t know how to mark someone 
  • I just don't get this formation.

Against Crewe, we had Washington playing off the shoulder of Stockley - a clear front two - and for the only time this season we looked dangerous.

Today Stockley is up front by himself once again. We are creating nothing. Bring Washington on and give Stockley a partner.

Kirk and Jayesimi are 2 passengers. 
  • Tactically clueless. Adkins has a lot to answer for. They can just walk into our half, and we can't get anywhere near theirs. We're at home, against Cheltenham! It's embarrassing. 
  • This is why I do not like signing players late in the transfer window. It could be 6 to 8 weeks before see them fully match fitvsnd integrated into the team. In the meantime the test of the rubbish loose more games.
  • So has it been long ball up the big tall fella again resulting in disjointed play and lack of clear chances?

Drop Stockley and things would improve.
  • That was awful. The support was excellent and so loud. Players should feel a bit embarrassed. 

Morgan looking like a youth player in the men's team...again. 

Even our better players are turning reactive. 
  • Missing Pratters ??
  • Wow. Second best all over the pitch. Watson is embarrassing. Stockley yet to win a header. Gunter MIA every time they attack. 

So... Dobson for Watson please. Leko after an hour. And Washington too if we don't improve. 

They have monsters at the back so play football down the wings...
  • At the game HT.
    OUT
    Managed
    Played
    Skilled
    Thought
    Run
    Structured

Cheltenham have more of everything, every facet.
    As far as I could see the first goal was perfectly legitimate.
    I really can’t see any way back in this game bar a miracle.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!