Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic v Cheltenham Town Match Thread 11/09/21

Comments

• Bipolar Charlton strike again! 
    From such positivity after the window and a week off, we’ve been awful! So frustrating! 

Central mid pairing surely are tying their own noose at the moment, and says a lot that Clare can’t get a game (albeit when not injured!) - Kirk looking like a poor purchase! 
  • Midfield completely non existent - Morgan should be out on loan in League 2 and Watson should be a squad player.
  • And yet the preview was full of 3-1 / 3-0 / 4-1 predictions.

Not from me. I said we'd lose 3-1 if startted with Watson & Gunter and win if Papa & Arter played.

No point bringing players in if they are not fit so you don't play them. 
  • Couldn't go today, but thought we'd win today. But looking back we were lucky not to concede against Crewe 
  • edited September 2021
    And despite Cheltenham winning their league last season you all underestimated them.

• There is a 30 yard gap between Morgan and Watson and the forwards every time we get the ball at the back. Lee does not work as a striker. He needs to play deeper to link the play, which means we need another forward up front.
    Kirk is a waste of space.
  • In order to try and salvage something from today ( display wise not result ) changes needed at halftime. Watson and Morgan may as well not be on the pitch imo. Kirk doesnt seem to be interested. 
    Lee the only positive from that half
  • Not at the game, but would like to hear from somebody that actually is. Can't be all Gunters fault
  • It is pretty clear that we need Arter and Gilbey match fit as soon as possible.  I know fans were getting on tDobson and Clare but at least they cover some ground and put in the effort.  Watson is so slow and Albie not even trying except when he charges up the pitch to try to intercept a pass that he has no chance of getting and then leaving a huge gap behind him.
  • 60% possession for Cheltenham. 

Kirk and DJ anonymous

Playing out from the back we run into dead ends.

Hopeful long balls to Stockley is hopeless against towering centre backs. 

The tactics are all wrong.... Cheltenham have five in midfield we at times seem to only have two. 

Lots of our players guilty of ball watching. 

Finally, can we change the poxy cameraman and director...endless replays whilst the game is going on... eventually we will score and they will miss the action. 

Crap all round that half. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Lee looks skilful mind!
  • adkins can do one too

• I love Saturdays at the Valley. At least under Atkins we are consistent. Its not a business Nigel . I bet the team talk is all Key Performance Indicators etc etc. Takes much more than that.

• Dazzler21 said:
    As I'm watching this only one man is actually doing his job well and that's MacGillivray which, given he's conceded two says a lot.

Morgan of course the 21 year old taking the blame for every other player on the pitch, despite being younger than all of them and none of them doing their jobs...
    Taking blame because he can't control a ball, can't track his man, and has made 2/10 passes all game. It's not a vendetta, it's just a poor player having a shit game.

Everyone of them has been shit. Kirk and DJ offered nothing, Famewo just stands still then boots it to no one, Stockley standing still and refusing to jump for the ball. Watson back to his pensioner best. This is one of the most abject performances I can remember at The Valley, especially at this level of football.
  • Cheltenham look like a team full of confidence who know their formation, style of play, partnerships etc.

We look like a load of players thrown together who can’t deal with being pressed and can’t press the opposition ourselves.

NA has options on the bench so no excuses for not seeing an improved second half.
  • Oh and the tannoy system in the North Upper is barely audible at all
  • We were never likely to gel straight away, but my issue is with Adkins & recruitment perse. It can't be premature to ask -are any of them actually any good?........Valley fan of 45 years, but I'm struggling to recall anything as humiliating and deflated as I feel right now!
  • Morgan is having a poor game, but he's not the reason we're losing.

Blair has had the freedom of the right hand side all game, surely Kirk should be the one tracking him? We had an injury break to sort things out, but didn't learn the lesson
  • Redhenry said:
    Not at the game, but would like to hear from somebody that actually is. Can't be all Gunters fault
    Gunter, Matthews, Watson, Morgan, Kirk all not good enough today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Worth noting Cheltenham are kicking us every time we try to get forward.
  • seth plum said:
    At the game HT.
    OUT
    Managed
    Played
    Skilled
    Thought
    Run
    Structured

Cheltenham have more of everything, every facet.
    As far as I could see the first goal was perfectly legitimate.
    I really can’t see any way back in this game bar a miracle.
    That's the spirit
  • Until now, Adkins and co haven’t had a bench to work with. He has tools now to make a difference and get us back into this, whether bringing Leko, or Washington, or someone else on, inspiring them to compete harder, or changing formation. Whatever it is, he needs to do something.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    And despite Cheltenham winning their league last season you all underestimated them.

It makes no difference whether the fans underestimated them as the support has been great. The players are playing like they have?
  • Kirk got to do something very soon. Him and Jaiyasimi had added zilch 
  • Leko for Kirk, Washington for Lee
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Worth noting Cheltenham are kicking us every time we try to get forward.
    Also known as League One football. 
  • There should be two subs and a shape change at half time but so far Adkins has been reluctant and late with substitutions, even last season. I suspect we won’t see any at half time. 
  • Leko coming on I think 
  • Our signings have had over a week training with us.  We should be playing them.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!