Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread | Charlton Athletic v Cheltenham Town | 11/09/21

Comments

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Get Stockley off he’s hopeless, we’ll play better without him in the side
    Someone has lolled this, but the second point is spot on. A few of us said we didn't want to sign him again, as the brand of football with him up top is so painful to watch. 
    The same applies last season with Aneke. There were times when we played better without him available or on the pitch, as the players on the pitch couldn't just lump it up to him and hide themselves. Stockley isn't the problem, but he isn't the answer either. He drags defences along with him, but should be seen as a distraction more that the only target, so that other players can find room, as Leko did excellently.
  • Options
    We have has a bad start for sure but we have a whole new team which didnt even hve pre season to gell just look at some other big teams sheff wed ipswich pompey not exactly playing great or winning all the time 

watched ipswich highlights and there fans booed louder than we even have at the end of the game yesterday after losing 5-2

i think this season we should all judge after 12/15 games and give the players and management abit more time to work if its still liek this i agree something will need to change
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Premiership 2006/7

West Ham away 3-1 loss
    Manchester United home 0-3 loss
    Bolton Wanderers home 2-0 win
    Chelsea away 2-1 loss 
    Portsmouth home 0-1 loss
    Aston Villa away 2-0 loss

League One 2021/22

Sheffield Wednesday home 0-0 draw
    Oxford United away 2-1 loss
    MK Dons away 2-1 loss
    Wigan Athletic home 0-2 loss 
    Crewe Alexandra home 2-0 win
    Cheltenham Town home 1-2 loss
    Dog & Duck 2nd Xl away 2-0 loss 

We are pathetic. 
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Adkins will have to switch to 442 and hope that Arter can play the defensive midfield role in a 4, because neither Watson nor Dobson look as if they can effectively. Lee has to play behind the front 2 and we need one of the wingers at least to be able to defend  dropped
    Tall order.
    Fixed that for you, think DJ should be on the bench with Washington out wide, not  that I think he's a great winger but he will get more involved & put in the work rate to track back. You just can't play with two out & out wingers & one striker up front & a weak midfield. Recruitment has been poor, how the fuck do we not attempt to replace a 15 goal striker to give us an alternative up front. Ok maybe we did attempt to replace Chuks (I don't know)  but how do we end up with no one ? Stockley won't be able to play every game given the effort he puts in, what happens then ? Ah yes Davidson  :(
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Finding myself not disagreeing with a lot of these comments, bringing players together late on and expecting them to click instantly has probably already meant top 2 has already gone, we can put a run together but we need to start picking up wins quickly to keep up with the rest, if we have aspirations of playoffs this season.
  • Options
    Adkins has options with the signings and with Gilbeys and Forster Caskeys eventual return will have two more. The two wide players DJ and Kirk don't seem to have an idea as to what their role is when we haven't got the ball and are not finding space when we do have it. The midfield has been poor for six games and there has been a change of personel in there, for me both of these items mean the system doesn't suit the players or they don't understand it.
    Adkins will need to prove he is tactically aware now and get his message over to the players and get results. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For me over the last few years, we have played our best football when we play 3-5-2 we now have the players that can play that formation. And I would get Pearce in the team, we look like we are lacking leadership at the back. 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    For me over the last few years, we have played our best football when we play 3-5-2 we now have the players that can play that formation. And I would get Pearce in the team, we look like we are lacking leadership at the back. 
    We don’t have the wing backs for it. We’d end up with full backs who can’t offer the width and pace going forward or wingers who can’t defend (remember Smyth last season?). Or someone trying to do a job there like Clare.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    masicat said:
    Unhappy players mainly because of the money some new players have come in on. Also, no promotion bonus offered by TS despite negotiations. Doesn’t help.
    If this isn’t a fact, with actual evidence of the statement, then it’s unnecessary and a wind up post. Why has there always got to be some conspiracy when we are playing bad. The next thing will be Adkins really isn’t a positive fella and nobody likes him. The players moaning about new players wages have no right because they were less than impressive last season. Get over it and prove they are worth more money and bonuses.
    however Charlton do like to be record breakers, the shortest amount of time to down tools into a season maybe? 🤣🙄
    I don’t do wind up posts. I can also report that Schwarz has upset all by coming back from preseason with twice the maximum body fat allowed .The player with the huge wage is Arter who was on an unbelievable 40k at Forest. I have also heard Famweno cannot be dropped if fit. I’m hearing that the coaching staff feel a fully fit Arter and Schwarz would be massive in this league. We will see I suppose. 
  • Options
    masicat said:
    paulfox said:
    masicat said:
    Unhappy players mainly because of the money some new players have come in on. Also, no promotion bonus offered by TS despite negotiations. Doesn’t help.
    If this isn’t a fact, with actual evidence of the statement, then it’s unnecessary and a wind up post. Why has there always got to be some conspiracy when we are playing bad. The next thing will be Adkins really isn’t a positive fella and nobody likes him. The players moaning about new players wages have no right because they were less than impressive last season. Get over it and prove they are worth more money and bonuses.
    however Charlton do like to be record breakers, the shortest amount of time to down tools into a season maybe? 🤣🙄
    I don’t do wind up posts. I can also report that Schwarz has upset all by coming back from preseason with twice the maximum body fat allowed .The player with the huge wage is Arter who was on an unbelievable 40k at Forest. I have also heard Famweno cannot be dropped if fit. I’m hearing that the coaching staff feel a fully fit Arter and Schwarz would be massive in this league. We will see I suppose. 
    Wasn’t being personal @masicat, just a bit frustrated by the way things have started, then seeing  posts like yours makes me wonder wtf!!!. If these sorts of things are already an issue this early on it doesn’t bode well.🤷🏻‍♂️👍
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Maccn05 said:
    Can we please not start talking about Curbs, Powell or any other of our old favourites.

I really believe this is a failing of our club and the fanbase.
    Bring back Seed. 

Actually, interesting post. 👍
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Curbishley said you have to manage what you've got. Not dream about other players. Not imposing a system but using the strengths you have. I'm sorry but 1-2 at home to Cheltenham is appalling. 

Cheltenham were decent in all areas. They’re used to winning, are all quite comfortable on the ball, and work for each other. Their history is irrelevant. But I still know what you mean. 
    However, I’d probably swap starting elevens if we could. Which is crazy on paper.

Curbishley/Jackson anybody?
    Would prefer to swap the managers than the players.

Don't actually know who their manager was but he seemed to know what he was doing!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is worse than our worst start in 15 years surely as we are in league 1!
  • Options
    Would have loved to be a fly on the wall at Thomas and Nige's post match "chat" after that debacle yesterday,...Shape up or ship out..
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    We don’t have the wing backs for it. We’d end up with full backs who can’t offer the width and pace going forward or wingers who can’t defend (remember Smyth last season?). Or someone trying to do a job there like Clare.
     I disagree, Matthew’s was outstanding when he played wing back previously. Souare is more of a wing back than a full back. 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
     I disagree, Matthew’s was outstanding when he played wing back previously. Souare is more of a wing back than a full back. 
    Which is probably what is needed if we continue to play the way we are.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    masicat said:
    paulfox said:
    masicat said:
    Wasn’t being personal @masicat, just a bit frustrated by the way things have started, then seeing  posts like yours makes me wonder wtf!!!. If these sorts of things are already an issue this early on it doesn’t bode well.🤷🏻‍♂️👍
    No probs. I won’t post on these sort of subjects if I don’t know or trust the source. 
  • Options
    masicat said:
    paulfox said:
    masicat said:
    If that's the case, and i have no reason to disbelieve @masicat, then what are the coaching and medical staff doing to get them fully fit? I'm a fan of Arter, always have been since he was a youth, and I agree he could be our star man in midfield. Don't know anything really about Ronnie, but it's time we got him sorted and into the side or at least providing competition for the strikers.
  • Options
    Any other oldie reminded of big Dave Shipperly by the the awkward looking Lavelle?
    Phil Chappell
  • Options
    It was embarrassing when Cheltenham were passing in triangles between the back 3 and goalkeeper. They obviously felt zero threat in doing so.