Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread | Charlton Athletic v Cheltenham Town | 11/09/21

Comments

• Options
    Bailey said:
    Adkins has options with the signings and with Gilbeys and Forster Caskeys eventual return will have two more. The two wide players DJ and Kirk don't seem to have an idea as to what their role is when we haven't got the ball and are not finding space when we do have it. The midfield has been poor for six games and there has been a change of personel in there, for me both of these items mean the system doesn't suit the players or they don't understand it.
    Adkins will need to prove he is tactically aware now and get his message over to the players and get results. 
    I think you are dreaming if you think JFC (long term injured) or Gilbey (long covid) will be back firing on all cylinders in time to make us a promotion winning side. They might be back in time, maybe, to save us from relegation.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    For me over the last few years, we have played our best football when we play 3-5-2 we now have the players that can play that formation. And I would get Pearce in the team, we look like we are lacking leadership at the back. 
    We don’t have the wing backs for it. We’d end up with full backs who can’t offer the width and pace going forward or wingers who can’t defend (remember Smyth last season?). Or someone trying to do a job there like Clare.
     I disagree, Matthew’s was outstanding when he played wing back previously. Souare is more of a wing back than a full back. 
    On the counter attack in the Championship? That was a couple of years ago.

Could argue it’s harder in L1 as teams are sitting back in numbers behind the ball.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    It was embarrassing when Cheltenham were passing in triangles between the back 3 and goalkeeper. They obviously felt zero threat in doing so.
    It’s ridiculous we seem incapable of doing it ourselves and are unable to press teams in the way they press us.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    mendonca said:
    It was embarrassing when Cheltenham were passing in triangles between the back 3 and goalkeeper. They obviously felt zero threat in doing so.
    It’s ridiculous we seem incapable of doing it ourselves and are unable to press teams in the way they press us.
    We never seem to have enough players pressing their backs, and never have anyone to pass to when we have the ball. That’s very concerning. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    cafctom said:
    Wasn’t at the game yesterday thankfully, but have seen a few comments about Stockley’s role as a captain.

Whatever anyone says about his supposed limitations, he is the sort of player who will typically battle hard against any side.

For those saying he shouldn’t be our captain, can you name someone out of this mediocre, tame lot who would be more suitable? 

I’ll wait.
    Sadly there isn't a single leader on the pitch in a Charlton shirt. Stockley may battle (though he didn't yesterday), but he's not a leader in the true sense of the word. 

Look at the personalities of our previous captains, then look at Stockley's. Miles apart.
    Yes been saying this from the beginning. Get your leader sorted out and the team can play for them. Stockley is someone who needs a captain he isn't one himself. Maybe a new leader will emerge. Managers know who the leaders are which is why NA surprised me in his choice here.
  • Options
    Watching Charlton these last 2 seasons my abiding memory will be Watson doing his frustration hand gesture as the opposition begin to celebrate their goal. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Scoham said:
    mendonca said:
    We never seem to have enough players pressing their backs, and never have anyone to pass to when we have the ball. That’s very concerning. 
    Too many players standing still 
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Any other oldie reminded of big Dave Shipperly by the the awkward looking Lavelle?
    Phil Chappell
    I said exactly the same thing when watching Lavelle. He looks like a cross between Chapple & Pearce!
  • Options
    Side issue really, but I thought their keeper should've been booked. 

The long winded approach from the ref, followed by an extra long verbal caution just added to our frustration and played somewhat into their hands.  An early booking for time wasting sorts out all that old malarky. 
    A ref wont book a keeper that early into the game (and I know we still had over 30 mins to play). It leaves him with nowhere to go if there is another misdemeanor. No ref is going to send a keeper off for 2 yellows that come from time wasting. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought during the first half, when there was a break in play for injury, all the players came over for a drink and Adkins was speaking to them individually (as were the backroom team) and it was as plain as anything, that to-a-man, they were ALL blaming someone else. What was clear was that they were not a unit and Adkins eluded to this in his post match critique. It was 11 individuals being slaughtered by a coherent unit of Cheltenham players who all knew their job and how it fitted in with the next. 

Whilst watching the build up for their second I started to count the passes from the halfway line. As the ball hit the back of the net it was 8 I think and remarked to my dad, how easy it looked. I said at that point I'd swap our 11 for theirs in a heartbeat. The big problem right now, we are easy to beat and the whole league knows it. 
    We're very easy and predictable to play against. Teams know they just need their CBs to match up and have a ruck with Stockley & when things are not working for him we tend to have very little else to offer.

Hopefully we go 2 up front and Leko changes that going forward....Cheltenham struggled alot with what he brought to the table 2nd half.
  • Options
    To think some people slagged Lee Bowyer off, this Adkins is a joke!
    Bowyer would have blown a gasket after that first half. 

The least he demanded was a work effort, that lot today with few exceptions were devoid of any spirit.  I have to wonder about Kirk, I've not seen him pass anyone yet and as for tracking back or putting a tackle in forget it.  As usual our midfield was toothless and gutless.  I don't think Morgan and Watson can play in the same team.  

Crewe supporters said this when we signed him, for all the praise for him offensively we shouldn't expect him to track back, he just doesn't do it. Do we actually watch the players that we hope to sign ? Ok stupid question but if Crewe supporters can see it why can't our scouts ?
    I firmly believe that the players we signed after the season started were not on our lists before August. 

Compare & contrast  Dobson & Clare with Arter & Lee. Add in Kirk but I realise that we (supposedly) bid for him in January. But then if we did why didnt we sign him early on like Stockley & MacGillivray. I dont think Crewe caved in but we did due to panic. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Teams all know that if you score first against us then that is usually job done. We might pull a goal back but not 2.

Anyone want to stick their necks out & predict when we will do the next Golfie  ?  I think I'll go back through last years matches to see how many it is since the last one.

What was it last time....32 games? 
  • Options
    Countdown to the “Has Adkins lost it thread” some people want a manager change after every loss. The rest of the bowyer outters are just saving face until they finally jump on board 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Did anyone else notice that there were 6 minutes added time. And on 95 minutes the ref had a word with their player for wasting time and then blew the whistle on 95:45. 
    Ref was shit… but they really is the norm now 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Wasn’t at the game yesterday thankfully, but have seen a few comments about Stockley’s role as a captain.

Whatever anyone says about his supposed limitations, he is the sort of player who will typically battle hard against any side.

For those saying he shouldn’t be our captain, can you name someone out of this mediocre, tame lot who would be more suitable? 

I’ll wait.

We had someone in our team yesterday who captained a team to promotion last season.
  • Options
    I think if Adkins doesn’t get a win at Wycombe or Gillingham he’ll be on borrowed time.
    Educated guess Airman or are there whispers circulating ?
    No whispers, but if we don’t get at least a couple of points for these two games the noise calling for something to happen will be deafening.
    I don't think 2 draws will be good enough, it might buy him a couple more games though. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Any points predictions for the next block of games?

- Wycombe- 0 pts
    - Gills - 1pta
    - Pompey - 0 pts
    - Bolton - 0 pts

can’t see much else with our record against Evans
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Maccn05 said:

- Wycombe- 0 pts
    - Gills - 1pta
    - Pompey - 0 pts
    - Bolton - 0 pts

God, what a depressing set of predictions, and IF it came to be accurate then I'm afraid Nige and his tenure at Charlton could be severed, his position would surely become very precarious, I couldn't see Thomas just sitting on his hands and letting things ride should your prediction ring true , can't afford to lose more than one of these games..
  • Options
    Easy 8 points there... Not sure we'll collect all of them though. 😣😂
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:

- Wycombe- 0 pts
    - Gills - 1pta
    - Pompey - 0 pts
    - Bolton - 0 pts

Reckon that depends on whether NA shakes things up a bit
  • Options
    The next 4 games will be a big test - If NA doesn't change tactics things could turn toxic.
  • Options
    The next 4 games will be a big test - If NA doesn't change tactics things could turn toxic.
    Could? Will be sooner than that if we carry on playing like we did in the first half.
  • Options
    Mametz said:
    cafctom said:

I’ll wait.

We had someone in our team yesterday who captained a team to promotion last season.
    He’s a bit new though. Maybe one for the future. 
    Btw, I think Elerewe is probably going to be much better than Lavelle. Of course if he is we’ll only have him for a season and a half. 
  • Options
    Unfortunately, baring a miracle this season is over already. I back TS as he has spent money and the squad is very capable IMO.

HOWEVER, signings like Dobson and Clare leave me scratching my head, we haven’t got the right set up in the management and backroom staff at the top, and it shows.

All cleavage no tit this team. 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    I think that the Adkins Out noises are premature.My own view is that he needs two seasons before the axe should fall.I agree that in L1 a Play Off place is expected and I see last season's failure was Bowyer rather than Nige. Sacking him after ten games would be ridiculous. 

I suspect that Jackson is being groomed to be his successor if Nigel did get dumped then an older head is more likely to be appointed. 
    Agree that I think it’s too premature for Adkins to go.  There’s 40 games left and that’s a lot of football, but if we carry on like this, I’m not giving him 2 seasons.  We’d be on a crash course into the non league :-)